• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

BadWolf

Which characters do you guys think ppl will pick the least? Who were the least popular in the arcade?

Jean is awesome and I'm doing well with him but he'll be very popular I think and I'm going to end up going through tons of mirror matches soon.

Heh, I can't beat the last stage of the tutorial for the life of me. I don't know if it's just because I'm tired, or if the timing is really strict.

I was able to do it once, but I'm not even really sure what I did.

Awesome game. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, even better is I've been getting online games easily. Unlike the last time I played sf4.

Getting my ass handed to me online though. Playing as lion, who I'm slowly getting the hang of.

alstein

Which characters do you guys think ppl will pick the least? Who were the least popular in the arcade?

Jean is awesome and I'm doing well with him but he'll be very popular I think and I'm going to end up going through tons of mirror matches soon.

Least: Eileen, Goh.

Aoi will be near the bottom

No character will super dominate: I suspected I'd see a lot more day 1 Takas then I did, and less day 1 Jackys.

Cirruss

Playing an angry Phoenix Wright Lau to get the hang of the game, so far its been good, its great running into other players who bought the complete pack with their customised costumes.

PSN: Cirrus-X

BadWolf

Aoi by far. Then probably Kage.

No character will super dominate: I suspected I'd see a lot more day 1 Takas then I did, and less day 1 Jackys.

Thanks, these guys were already on my radar. Will still keep learning Jean on the side though, he's such a cool character (very SNK, kind of like a manlier version of Ash Crimson lol).

I'm pretty sure Kage will be well represented, well at least based on how often I see him in match vids.

Mr_eX

Just got this from PS+ haven't played it yet though. I anticipate being really bad at first and if I stick with it gradually getting better. I'll probably just jump straight to the online multiplayer assuming it isn't a broken mess. My PSN ID is SplaT. If anyone wants to play send me a friend request just put GAF as the message so I know you're from GAF or I might not accept it(I get tons of random friend requests from people I've never played games with, I assume it's because my ID is SplaT with no numbers or anything)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I'm on PS3 right now with adversity1 if anyone in Asia/Aus wants to play. Username is Reno!

Bizazedo

I play Jacky (on XBL, same gamertag) and I only saw two other Jacky's the whole night of around 60 matches (potentially a 3rd as I remember him from prior VF games, but someone joined him before I could.

I was shocked by this, expected to see more, especially as I ran into two Taka's as well and four Aoi's.

I was also surprised I didn't see more Vanessa's, Lei Fei's, or Wolf's. Especially Lei Fei.

And yeah, I think Jean will become very popular.

thundr51

Cant wait to get back to this and the price is so right...especially after I spent a GRIP buying all the parts needed to get VF5:FT working. Cant believe how Jeff has changed so much..no more surprise splash mountains :(

Anybody else main Jeff or Goh?

Onemic

Okay, now that I'm done raging at the game I'm gonna spend time in the lab and learn some of Lei-Fei's combos. Are the ones listed in the command list good BnB's? Or are there better ones?

Takuan

Cant wait to get back to this and the price is so right...especially after I spent a GRIP buying all the parts needed to get VF5:FT working. Cant believe how Jeff has changed so much..no more surprise splash mountains :(

I plan on maining Goh, but I'm very, very bad with him. I basically don't know how to initiate combos outside of getting lucky with a launcher/knockdown attack, especially against aggressive, combo-y characters like Brad (damn you, Tre). I'll have to do some reading to get a good idea of his BnB.

There are a whole lot of other characters I'd like to get decent with, too. SO much value for $30.

I like Lei Fei's old PPP. :(. It's funny that I have to get used to this new flow. It's like I could start a new character and not miss being Lei, it's feels that different.
I'm going to get a feel for every character again before I commit. But first I need that stick to come in.

alstein

I plan on maining Goh, but I'm very, very bad with him. I basically don't know how to initiate combos outside of getting lucky with a launcher/knockdown attack, especially against aggressive, combo-y characters like Brad (damn you, Tre). I'll have to do some reading to get a good idea of his BnB.

There are a whole lot of other characters I'd like to get decent with, too. SO much value for $30.

That's generally how you start combos in VF. You don't get big combos off light hits, you have to earn them.

Against the aggressive characters, learn the sabakis, or block and attack from advantage if they're just abare-ing. I have some problems with getting overwhelmed, but usually for me with Aoi is comes from me overestimating how much advantage I have and paying for it.

Doomshine

Does Dural have some weird auto reversal I don't know about? I'm in free training and if I hit her with Goh's descending P and do a regular P immediately after she grabs it :eek: I have not changed any CPU settings.

Takuan

That's generally how you start combos in VF. You don't get big combos off light hits, you have to earn them.

Against the aggressive characters, learn the sabakis, or block and attack from advantage if they're just abare-ing. I have some problems with getting overwhelmed, but usually for me with Aoi is comes from me overestimating how much advantage I have and paying for it.

I don't know what a sabaki or abare is. Combos? Spamming?

alstein

Sabaki is a move that effectively has armor vs certain types of attacks. Useful if you can predict an attack coming, or a mixup between a throw and that certain attack (sabaki will CH both options)

Abare is when they attack from disadvantage. Usually after you have an attack blocked, you're at disadvantage. If you do a quick move like a mid elbow, it will beat them if they try to keep attacking.

If I'm playing a ranked match online, and I block a 2P, I will elbow every time until they learn not to attack afterwards.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't help but think my Goh can't keep up anymore - considering retiring him and going with a tastefully-dressed SERIOUS Vanessa. She's just a joy to play.

The luster is gone with Jean though. No thanks.

Tain

Seeing a lot of Aoi online, fun!

I'm sticking with Aoi and Jacky, I think.

Ok, what's the deal with the "screenshots" banner? Are original VF character models unlockable?!

I really don't think they are, but man would that be great. Was awesome in Evolution.

VF is a turnbased game like chess. You do your turn, then the enemy does his. Abare is to break that "rule" and attack from disadvantage, like you don't care. It's legit as long as it's work. Chibita plays like that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm having a bit of conceptual trouble with license test 18 (I think). The double tap down-forward + G to evade both mid strikes and throws. Not quite sure when I'm supposed to do that for it to work.

galvatron

I'm having a bit of conceptual trouble with license test 18 (I think). The double tap down-forward + G to evade both mid strikes and throws. Not quite sure when I'm supposed to do that for it to work.

I did the tutorial on that and there it works like a parry of the follow-up to the first 2 hits. It seems like a guess you have to make right after your hit stun. Funny thing is that the first time I passed it was because the CPU did 5 mids in a row and my stand blocking counted.

Played a Jeffery online a while ago and was surprised at how much damage his hits were doing. Still managed to beat him though.

Vanessa <3

Bizazedo

I can't help but think my Goh can't keep up anymore - considering retiring him and going with a tastefully-dressed SERIOUS Vanessa. She's just a joy to play.

The luster is gone with Jean though. No thanks.

I dunno, Goh hits pretty hard :).

Vanessa always seemed painful, though, to play against.

Yeah...I'm gonna double dip, and get the DLC for Blaze on PSN as he's my main and everyone else is lame.

PSN: BronsonLeeK

JUMP ON IT

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Did pretty well with Sarah last night, but I think I may switch to Vanessa. She seems fun as hell to use, but also more complex in comparison.

Got destroyed by a Lei Fei player who just stood there and would mash out attacks when I got near. Everything he did came out much faster than what I tried with Vanessa. :/

Daigoro

lot's of players online making me feel pretty good about myself on the way to 1st Dan.

im liking Shun's new moves even though i only know a few of them so far. missing some of the old stuff, but the new stuff is making up for it so far.

im having fun!

Did pretty well with Sarah last night, but I think I may switch to Vanessa. She seems fun as hell to use, but also more complex in comparison.

Got destroyed by a Lei Fei player who just stood there and would mash out attacks when I got near. Everything he did came out much faster than what I tried with Vanessa. :/

Learn the "turns".

Does anyone know which item let's you explode the ball into confetti?

got a couple of training hours in. too scared to go online.

so what's up with the sound in this game? sounds so low-fi. how can they be so cheap with sound, i can't believe this. you need good sound to feel the hype.

Daigoro

A B C D E S

If you press start, there should be an option where you can choose the costume type and from there, you can cycle to the other costumes. Top and bottom have new options, not too sure about the others.

wanted to say thanks again for mentioning this. took me a minute to figure out how to set it up, but i have a few Shuns im happy with for now.

there is not a lot of variation between accessories, but the base costumes change things up pretty well and there are a few things added here and there depending on your base.

combining accessories is pretty funny. not sure if other characters can do it, but Shun can wear 2 hats at a time. that's pretty boss.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
got a couple of training hours in. too scared to go online.

so what's up with the sound in this game? sounds so low-fi. how can they be so cheap with sound, i can't believe this. you need good sound to feel the hype.

It's a VF thing.

Top Bottom