• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Daigoro

i was playing a guy names Myke earlier and i just found out it was Myke from VFDC. needless to say, i took a beating.

also just realized that ive been a memeber of VFDC since 2002... and i have a total of 4 posts. lol

:O Shots fired! Jeffry is a sweet dude.

King of all looks though is Taka's 4th costume.

i dont really have a problem with Jeffrey. i think the wrestler dudes are slightly cheesier than some of the rest of the cast, but i really do like VF's characters a lot.

hiro4

Man I suck with the stick.
Played around two hours today and just can't get the feeling for the stick. I know I have to practice more but it sucks to lose every match.

With the pad the moves and combos just flow out of my fingers. But with the stick it is always a fight against myself. Also I feel like I am much slower with stick in reaction and execution.

I use a stock Tatsunoko stick and I have the feeling it is partly due to the loose stick. Has anybody any tips for a good replacement joystick to replace the stock version? Since I want to play stick.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Had a few good matches wih Kyouji before I had to come into work. Those were some pretty great costumes for Eileen. I loved the beach get up.

Thanks, and good playing with you too! I have so much to learn with Eileen. It feels like the skill ceiling for this game is insane. I look forward to playing with you again.

chriskun

Man, the hitboxes in this game don't make any sense, makes the game look extremely wonky. moves that don't look like they should hit OTG, OTG. Always been an annoyance of mine with fighters, and I feel like the transition to 3d models and animation in SF and Marvel helped solve this issue

GrayFoxPL

The second hit is a special high so you can't immediately mash 2p, try to time the tech crouch move so it doesn't clash with it, or duck and whiff punish, or just block it.

Thanks. Which crouch tech move? You sure it's duckable? Maybe it's the lag but it felt like I could do nothing.

Least: Eileen, Goh.

Aoi will be near the bottom

No character will super dominate: I suspected I'd see a lot more day 1 Takas then I did, and less day 1 Jackys.

Funny, today I fought mostly against Eileen, there are millions of her. Then it would be Vanessa, Pai, Jacky, Kage, ElBlaze, Leifei, Goh in that order and few of the rest. Seems like Taka, Aoi or Jeffry doesn't exist, lol. Jean seemed really popular yesterday, but looks like peeps are dropping him today. He is definitely much harder to play then Sarah for me.

Man, the hitboxes in this game don't make any sense, makes the game look extremely wonky. moves that don't look like they should hit OTG, OTG.

Yeah, this is one of two things I never liked about VF. In some combos opponent is falling 10cm above the ground and you can juggle him with standing jab. It's alternative reality man.

Second one is lack of the real okizeme(there are different definitions of this but I mean attacking opponent thats lying on the ground). It's really natural in tekken to attack knocked down or opponent thats getting up and all moves that look like they should hit him, will. So you don't wait kindly as he gets up but rush him as you have many options and he's never safe. In VF you can do 1-2 canned attacks and wait as he safely gets up, not mentioning recovering opponent has invincibility frames for it feels like half an hour. This feels very artificial, throwing off offense imo.

Game would be pretty much perfect if not for these two oddities. But no game is so whatever.

Switched from Sarah to Jean. Oh man, yesterday I played Sarah on all connections and it was fine even with lag. Now Jean is unplayable with lag, on laggy matches game starts stuttering which didn't happen yesterday and stops correctly reading Jeans "charging" moves. You just can't play him right, Sarah-no problem, Jean-becomes Dan.
But even with 1 bar everything comes back to normal. It just sucks that now I have to search much longer for decent connections.

Sega, please patch searching by connection indicators.

Fresh VF5FS Tutorial series!

Jump in!

Is there a website that explains the overall fighting system? Not looking for move or character guides. I've always wanted to be good at a fighting game but I've never understood a system.

Whoa that tutorial is really in-depth for me as a new player.

Thanks for posting - maybe I can have a bit more strategy online now, instead of just smashing the controller.

sleepykyo

Too much power of moe for you?

I'm just shocked we've got an Aoi army going, she's probably the least newbie-friendly character in the game.

One of the few characters that still has tons of reversals. Bitter than Vanessa is down to her neutral reversal and her lost one of her deflecting attacks.

Is there anyway to choose base costumes C, D, E & S from the select screen, or do you have to manually set them as a costume from the customization screen.

I know you can toggle between costumes A & B by pressing start, but there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly select the others.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Did they change up the crumpling in Final Showdown? I feel like I can't do low throws in some situations that I used to be able to.

Yes they did, there are a lot of situations where low throws no longer work.

FYI I'll be updating the OP with everyone's gamer tags and whatnot today.

During my time with it I've seen tons of Eileen, Jeffery, Akira, Aoi, and Jean. I've run into so many of them. As for fewest, I've come across a couple of Goh users and a Taka player. One of the Goh players completely destroyed me.

So fun...

OceanBlue

Low damage, slow jab, reversals/sabakis require game knowledge of what is likely to come.

Ground grabs are a 50/50 escape, good players will escape those, though you don't really lose a whole lot for trying.

I kinda get it. I'm still not completely familiar with VF5 so I don't completely understand, but...

How slow is her jab? I'm pretty sure it's 12f, but how fast is a normal jab in VF5? For low damage I feel that, so far, I've known when I was in control of a match and when I was being outplayed, so I don't mind losing in a close game when I'm learning how to play. I'm kinda avoiding sabakis and reversals, to be honest, so I'm probably not playing Aoi at her full potential yet. What's different about her ground grabs?

GrayFoxPL

Is there anyway to choose base costumes C, D, E & S from the select screen, or do you have to manually set them as a costume from the customization screen.

I know you can toggle between costumes A & B by pressing start, but there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly select the others.

Design choice. Was like that in vanilla too. Maybe to reduce load time? It's kinda dumb.

I kinda get it. I'm still not completely familiar with VF5 so I don't completely understand, but...

How slow is her jab? I'm pretty sure it's 12f, but how fast is a normal jab in VF5? For low damage I feel that, so far, I've known when I was in control of a match and when I was being outplayed, so I don't mind losing in a close game when I'm learning how to play. I'm kinda avoiding sabakis and reversals, to be honest, so I'm probably not playing Aoi at her full potential yet. What's different about her ground grabs?

Poping just to say if you like the character for whatever reasons stick with it. Definitely more fun learning that way then picking character based on tiers or ease of use.

Guys, don't go to DOA5 thread, some truly retarded trolling on VF, Tekken etc.
Smh.

DR2K

Banned
Guys, don't go to DOA5 thread, some truly retarded trolling on VF, Tekken etc.
Smh.

No there isn't, lol. DOA community as a whole is one of the most open minded and humble when it comes to other fighters.

In related news VF5 characters in DOA5 will play exactly like they are in VF5FS. Confirmed via stream.

GrayFoxPL

No there isn't, lol. DOA community as a whole is one of the most open minded and humble when it comes to other fighters.

In related news VF5 characters in DOA5 will play exactly like they are in VF5FS. Confirmed via stream.

I wasn't talking about DOA Community. Imo trolls really affiliate with their own shitty commune.

DR2K

Banned
I'm learning Sarah, because I think she'll be a beast in DoA5.

Yeah my main in VF5 has always been Sarah, but this is even more incentive for me to continue playing as her.

How much has she changed between vanilla and FS? My PS3 is out of commission for the next week so I haven't been able to test it.

Skilletor

Yeah my main in VF5 has always been Sarah, but this is even more incentive for me to continue playing as her.

How much has she changed between vanilla and FS? My PS3 is out of commission for the next week so I haven't been able to test it.

I never played her before, so I couldn't say. She seems similar just from my experience fighting against her.

alstein

12f jab is what grapplers here. Non-grapplers tend to have 10-11f jabs.

Her ground grabs are guaranteed off a good number of things.

I'm still learning how to use her stuff, she has a lot of situational stuff. I need to hit the lab soon to work on some kinks, and getting a better throw game.

GrayFoxPL

She's very very changed. Feels 65-70% different. Lost moves, gained new, very different combos, 2 new stances. Still very awesome.

Radical stuff like her rising knees are done by while standing from a crouch with just K like in Tekken.

She can only do her old flamingo throw from step now, lost kick c.ombos from step, just frame kicks now knock down, tons of new throws. 33K is now 1K. Lol too much to note.

DR2K

Banned
She's very very changed. Feels 65-70% different. Lost moves, gained new, very different combos, 2 new stances. Still very awesome.

Radical stuff like her rising knees are done by while standing from a crouch with just K like in Tekken.

She can only do her old flamingo throw from step now, lost kick c.ombos from step, just frame kicks now knock down, tons of new throws. 33K is now 1K. Lol too much to note.

Holy shit that's sounding awesome. So glad that training mode allows you to practice move lists.

GrayFoxPL

Holy shit that's sounding awesome. So glad that training mode allows you to practice move lists.

Yeah! She's so crazy dynamic and fast now, she was fast before but now you can add so much more pressure with her 6pgk "rush stance". And wait till you see her half circle forward throw from step...Easily the most badass throw ever!

DR2K

Banned
Yeah! She's so crazy dynamic and fast now, she was fast before but now you can add so much more pressure with her 6pgk "rush stance". And wait till you see her half circle forward throw from step...Easily the most badass throw ever!

How dependent is she on her JFs and does she have a lot of them?

GrayFoxPL

How dependent is she on her JFs and does she have a lot of them?

JF are the same as before. That 3K+G from flamingo has new animation(liked the old one better), Those three kick jf are much better now, opponent crumple falls on the back, I think you can combo of that. I didn't use any jf online, crazy flamingo mixup and that new stance was enough to get me to 3rd Dan in something like 5-6 hours.

i played a few really good Gohs today myself.

Yup. Just played another 1st dan Goh. Didn't get as badly bodied like the first one though (won a round and took him/her down to the wire every round).

The amount amount of fun I'm having with this game though is mind-boggling.

Top Bottom