• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

She's very very changed. Feels 65-70% different. Lost moves, gained new, very different combos, 2 new stances. Still very awesome.

Radical stuff like her rising knees are done by while standing from a crouch with just K like in Tekken.

She can only do her old flamingo throw from step now, lost kick c.ombos from step, just frame kicks now knock down, tons of new throws. 33K is now 1K. Lol too much to note.

She needed some serious changes considering how bad she was in Vanilla VF5

Definitely feel like I'm improving.

I'm not hitting big combos, or really going for specific moves - but I am beginning to guard instinctively and dodge well, which has led to me winning a few matches.

So even if I am playing 'wrong', this is a lot more fun than say SF4 for me - where I felt hopeless unless I spent hours in practise.

...Apart from when I play someone using T.Arashi who somehow manages to perfect me with the usage of like two moves :p

Edit: oops double post, sorry thought someone else had replied since.

GrayFoxPL

...Apart from when I play someone using T.Arashi who somehow manages to perfect me with the usage of like two moves :p

I like fighting fat..ugh..sorry sumo fans, big boned characters in fighting games. To me they are huge juicy hitbox/hurtbox. :D Didn't lose to Taka yet in FS. (I think...)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guys, don't go to DOA5 thread, some truly retarded trolling on VF, Tekken etc.
Smh.

More like VF5 players trolled DOA, DOA took it ran with it and stomped that trolling into the ground all the way to China and laughed at fighting game elitism.

KTallguy

Banned
I like fighting fat..ugh..sorry sumo fans, big boned characters in fighting games. To me they are huge juicy hitbox/hurtbox. :D Didn't lose to Taka yet in FS. (I think...)

Taka is SUPER annoying because you have to learn all new combos for him, or do no damage. It's not like 2D fighters where they have a bigger hitbox, on the contrary it's more difficult.

In VF smaller characters are lighter, and float higher, so you can get more damaging combos on them. So Wolf and Jeffery are by default, more resistant to damage. There are exceptions and certain character specific combos that net you more, but in general it's harder to deal damage to heavy characters.

Taka is a completely special case, and his reactions to moves are different than every other character. He doesn't float at all. So you have to learn new combos for him.

TheSeks

Well, "MrB1G" is a sore-loser on PSN. Got called a "LAGGY BITCH" despite the fact the room was lagging for nearly everyone. So much for the VF community not being filled with the typical FGC player. Guess I'll stick to offline or playing people on my friends list (peoplewhoplay... .jpg) from now on I guess.

alstein

There's a lot of standard FGC folks into VF right now due to the hype- the folks who don't get the mentality will be gone shortly. This game is a process, not about results.

What the hell is wrong with the room match in this game. First you have to wait for the countdown after every match and then you have to put your slot in 1p or 2p. If I'm next up as 2p but 2p wins, the go below me who happens to guess 1p gets to go before me? That's some stupid shit. They should learn from DOAU on the Xbox

Leckan

You have to buy the complete pack to play single-player? Don't care about the customize stuff. Can someone fill me in here.

alstein

You have to buy the complete pack to play single-player? Don't care about the customize stuff. Can someone fill me in here. Do

No, it's just one mode that is locked out, this is basically just playing customized foes. You don't need the DLC to get the full benefits of the game (though I'd still get it).

Leckan

No, it's just one mode that is locked out, this is basically just playing customized foes. You don't need the DLC to get the full benefits of the game (though I'd still get it).

Which mode and how important is it, if you're mostly going to be playing single-player?

alstein

Which mode and how important is it, if you're mostly going to be playing single-player?

Forget the name of the mode- I think it's special sparring or something. VF's AI is usually pretty good, license mode might be worthwhile, but this is a game you really want to go online (PSN online is great at 3 bars, decent at 2 bars) and play people. There isn't a story mode or anything.

Well, "MrB1G" is a sore-loser on PSN. Got called a "LAGGY BITCH" despite the fact the room was lagging for nearly everyone. So much for the VF community not being filled with the typical FGC player. Guess I'll stick to offline or playing people on my friends list (peoplewhoplay... .jpg) from now on I guess.

35 matches and I haven't really bumped into anyone like that yet.

Though I did get into one match where it seemed like the other person just suddenly put the controller down and left the room...

SegaManAU

Gold Member
If anyone on GAF wants some games in the next hour or so drop me an invite. Still scrubby.

Have you on my friends list...hopefully we can have a few games over the weekend? I'm in Australia so our play times are very different lol.

35 matches and I haven't really bumped into anyone like that yet.

Though I did get into one match where it seemed like the other person just suddenly put the controller down and left the room...

I have come across this problem also. Weird.

Here are the characters I like: Akira, El Blaze, Sarah, Jacky, Wolf, Jeffery

Who would be easiest to learn and break my VF5FS hymen with? So far everything I've been trying on my own has been going really rough and I could use some pointers.

soakrates

Here are the characters I like: Akira, El Blaze, Sarah, Jacky, Wolf, Jeffery

Who would be easiest to learn and break my VF5FS hymen with? So far everything I've been trying on my own has been going really rough and I could use some pointers.
Of those, probably Jacky. He's pretty straightforward.

As for pointers, just work on basics for now. 6P is a good standing poke, and standing P into 6P is probably a good frame trap. If you block a low punch, immediately 6P (don't wait for it to recover) and it should interrupt the next one if they're spamming it. After you get them to respect it, start using standing P into other stuff like throws, etc. Punish whiffs with P+K and 4K+G and just do basic combos for now until you get the hang of it overall.

The videos Sega has been posting are pretty good primers for newcomers.

Hope that helps!

Someone with more knowledge, feel free to correct me. :p

I play dress up because I care how my character looks. I don't care if anybody can see.

Bingo. This quickly became my favorite customization system. I just turned El Blaze into Tizoc and Akira into some sunglasses wearing punk. My only minor gripe about it is the lack of fully customizable colors, but it's almost a non issue with how many choices they typically give. Game rules.

Souther

Banned
for people asking about which players are easiest to use, etc...

Just go into the Dojo or whatever it is called(can't remember) and just practice the move lists a couple times until you have a better understanding of that character. It's worth it in the end.

Even if you are really just a casual player, it makes the game more enjoyable when you have a better understanding of the way the character plays.

For example...I'm a Goh player and hes changed ALOT from Vanilla VF5. So i went through the move list like 2.5 times and just practiced moves over and over for awhile, got a nice 8hit combo for like 108dmg that I am liking.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I doubt they're going to download 20 compatibility packs to see Wesker. I would have loved a full disc release.
On 360, if you buy *any* of the individual character packs, you download *every* character's costume data anyway. They don't break up the costume data at all. It's pretty much already there on their consoles but they can't see it.

Morris

Disco Devil
I'm the kind of guy that learns more by watching other people play, so, can anyone name any top Eileen players I should keep an eye out for?

I still fucking suck btw. Just got into 1st Dan by losing a lot...

TheSeks

That's not too many Eileens on PSN, it seems dude. :/

Going by replays there's a bunch of under used characters. But that's probably because no one is saving replays (why bother when you can't export them?). In addition in the past week the count for leaderboards is went from 6,000 day one to like 17,000 it seems the PSrental service offer hasn't enticed too many people to try and play the characters/game at all. :/

But there is a person on GAF that played it for the achievements and won't touch it ever again.

Degen

Man, it's a tough world out there starting out as a Wolf player.
I don't even get what I'm supposed to do with him. The opponent has to really screw up to get caught in a good command throw, especially since everything under the sun seems to override a grab attempt in VF

hiro4

Man, it's a tough world out there starting out as a Wolf player.

High five! I play wolf also
Keep practicing you'll get better :)
I main wolf and I'm pretty okay with him.
One thing I find is that he plays a bit like Akira in the sense the combos of him move in a certain flow for me that is really satisfying.

Also I like his 9K, 4P, 8K+G moves since it disrupts the whole flow of the match and the other characters. Also the latter two moves can be good setups for some of his combos like the: P, 6~4PP combo which you can finish with an ground attack or ground throw if possible. In Evo I mostly ended with his ground lariat but that one got removed.

Also watch some Wolf videos. There are a lot of great wolf players out there.

And don't forget his throws, they are really powerful.

I don't even get what I'm supposed to do with him. The opponent has to really screw up to get caught in a good command throw, especially since everything under the sun seems to override a grab attempt in VF

Try to do a normal jab first before attempting a throw. If it hits you'll have a guaranteed throw and if it is blocked you'll have the advantage. If the opponent ducks under it hit him with a low throw.

And mix up your throws since more experienced player will throw escape from it.
Though this is all from playing Evo not sure if all still applies to FS

Played the tutorial, girded my loins and jumped online right into my first VF ever. 's really fun. I can see all the depth lurking, but if you just go ahead and start playing you can start to make stuff happen with just movement and attack basics. Even managed to squeak out a few wins in there since there are so many other new players online.

Might just be honeymoon phase, but I'm really liking this so far. I was a late starter with fighters (SSFIV) and I've not really found one that has suited me since then. But this I'm really liking, at least in the early going.

Edgeward

High five! I play wolf also
Keep practicing you'll get better :)
I main wolf and I'm pretty okay with him.
One thing I find is that he plays a bit like Akira in the sense the combos of him move in a certain flow for me that is really satisfying.

Also I like his 2K, 9P, 1K+G moves since it disrupts the whole flow of the match and the other characters. Also the latter two moves can be good setups for some of his combos like the: P, 3~6PP combo which you can finish with an ground attack or ground throw if possible. In Evo I mostly ended with his ground lariat but that one got removed.

Also watch some Wolf videos. There are a lot of great wolf players out there.

And don't forget his throws, they are really powerful.

Try to do a normal jab first before attempting a throw. If it hits you'll have a guaranteed throw and if it is blocked you'll have the advantage. If the opponent ducks under it hit him with a low throw.

And mix up your throws since more experienced player will throw escape from it.
Though this is all from playing Evo not sure if all still applies to FS

Ah, don't use any of those moves at all. I like using 2 and 6K+G seems good range and the latter can get a stagger. I had no idea to grab after a jab, coming from 2d fighters the idea of hitstun still affects me in my transition to VF. I need to find his elbow/mid move and go to launcher and good launcher combo as well.

I also want people to just stand there and let me hit the F5 and Burning Hammer on you mofos.

hiro4

Ah, don't use any of those moves at all. I like using 2 and 6K+G seems good range and the latter can get a stagger. I had no idea to grab after a jab, coming from 2d fighters the idea of hitstun still affects me in my transition to VF. I need to find his elbow/mid move and go to launcher and good launcher combo as well.

Hmmmm 26K+G doesn't ring a bell with me :p
Gonna check it tonight when I come home from work.

Learn the P, 6~4PP combo untill you can dream it. If you get a launcher in it is one of the best combos.

Another good launcher is 46P+K. But takes more time to execute do you will have to time it right. Sometimes I start the combo with 6K+G which also can stagger.

4K+G, K is also a nice 2 hit after 4P or 6K if they hit off course.

Another move I like of wolf is his 62K which is pretty fast and can lead up to a ground throw.

Note: I messed up the numbers! Change it in my other post as well.

Edgeward

Ah, I mean 6K+G, the turnaround jumpkick, and 4K+G, the Steve Austin kick to the gut. Sorry.

62K I try to put in my moveset as well, it's a tricky move but the motion is tricky as well. Like some Mortal Kombat shit, and I don't play MK. lol

I will work on that combo then. Been needing a good punish string that involves jab. Thanks. I will not give up on Wolf. Gotta support all wrestling characters in FGs.

hiro4

Ah, I mean 6K+G, the turnaround jumpkick, and 4K+G, the Steve Austin kick to the gut. Sorry.

62K I try to put in my moveset as well, it's a tricky move but the motion is tricky as well. Like some Mortal Kombat shit, and I don't play MK. lol

I will work on that combo then. Been needing a good punish string that involves jab. Thanks. I will not give up on Wolf. Gotta support all wrestling characters in FGs.

No problem. I messed the numbers big time xD. I was thinking about the clock instead of the numpad. T_T

The Steve Austin gut kick can have another kick afterwards. Or even a throw on hit.
And yes 6K+G is a great move!

A nice thing about that combo is that if you mess it up it will come out as a normal PPP combo which is not that bad.

I'm been hopping between El Blaze and Eileen so far. Coming from someone who doesn't know anything about VF, El Blaze seems fairly straightforward. I always like playing lucha characters and having a special command run and jump off wall moves are basically standard.

For Eileen, what's the difference between Interrupt and Cancel? What do those do exactly?

Ugh, I really hate my internet connection sometimes... It dropped on me during 2nd match ever online and I have had a bright red angry face for the last few matches... Please tell me it will it will go back up to green?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Someone tell me how to properly to play this abysmal pile of mess? Granted, six matches aren't a ton for me and my friend to become completely acclimated with the controls and gameplay, but it'd be nice if the game was at least a little friendly to a newcomer.

Then again, maybe it's supposed to feel like that, and it's just a turd of a game.

elohel

Someone tell me how to properly to play this abysmal pile of mess? Granted, six matches aren't a ton for me and my friend to become completely acclimated with the controls and gameplay, but it'd be nice if the game was at least a little friendly to a newcomer.

Then again, maybe it's supposed to feel like that, and it's just a turd of a game.

whoa

f'real?

could just do dojo stuff? they have training and basic info.........

what's going on?

Top Bottom