• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

BiggNife

As someone who is generally a lot more comfortable with 2D fighters than 3D, which characters are generally beginner-friendly?

Right now I'm using Eileen and she doesn't seem too bad. I'm getting the hang of canceling combos into her monkey stance and/or her overhead.

Anybody? Anyone at all?

Eiji

Hmm, Akira's vanilla VF5 music seems to be missing. Something else plays when you select his stage with the music option set to vanilla VF5 music.

Bizazedo

got a couple of training hours in. too scared to go online.

so what's up with the sound in this game? sounds so low-fi. how can they be so cheap with sound, i can't believe this. you need good sound to feel the hype.

I do agree and wish the sound quality was better, but I am fine with it. As for the hype?

I dunno, I was in an XBL Party last night and the place exploded when I landed a big low throw on my opponent using Jeffrey.

Really looks like some of the moves HURT in this game.

Also?

LOVE having VF2's music playing.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
Tonight I will try some online play with Taka. He seems very powerful, and his move list is easy to remember. Can you tell me what are his best starting moves ? Thanks in advance :) .

Went up against a custom Sarah about twenty minutes ago and got rocked pretty hard. I felt like I was drowning.

So here, make me feel even more helpless.

PSN: Frostu

I mess around with Pai, Lei Fei and Lau. I'll be back on in a few and then I'll be on tonight until fairly late. Hope to see you cats soon!

Edit: As for figuring out your character, when I first played VF, way too long ago, I played Sarah, Jacky, and Pai. All fairly great starting points. But it's best to pick a character based on your personal play style, whether it be offensive, speed, counters, etc. I tend to just pick a character, mess around and see if they fit my kind of play. And as always the training mode it pretty ace, just pop in there and give the characters a try.

OceanBlue

you need good sound to feel the hype.
In my experience, this isn't true. I've been "hyped" for a lot of matches where I had trouble hearing sound, especially at tournaments (and especially at majors), where there's so much ambient noise that it's hard or almost impossible to hear game noises. I personally play with game sound off at times and just listen to music, and for me the hype doesn't change.

UrbanRats

I read the OP, but i'm still confused.
Tha OP says 45$ for the complete thing, but on my PSN (EU) i see the game for 12.99 euro (must be the base game) and the complete edition for 25.99 euro, with (so says the description) all the custom packages.
I see nothing else.

OceanBlue

I read the OP, but i'm still confused.
Tha OP says 45$ for the complete thing, but on my PSN (EU) i see the game for 12.99 euro (must be the base game) and the complete edition for 25.99 euro, with (so says the description) all the custom packages.
I see nothing else.

$45 if you buy the base game and the two DLC packages ($15 each). The complete edition includes the two DLC packages.

Shouta

I just picked up FS, been awhile since I played it, not since last year-ish I think, so it'll be fun to get back into the groove.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up FS, been awhile since I played it, not since last year-ish I think, so it'll be fun to get back into the groove.

It is fun, but it is jarring. My Goh ain't what he used to be, so I'm gonna jump ship to the USS Vanessa.

YoungHav

Banned
Did I just give the finger to a loan payment so I can purchase this game instead? Fuck yeah. They can kiss Goh's ass and wait two more weeks for their money.

Shouta

Installed on the PS3 so if someone wants to add me, my PSN name is.

I can't decide to go with my old mains or try someone new.

AAK

I'd probably still put SCV's customization over VF5 since you can edit the actual items themselves, but VF5 does have some great options.

Not perfect, but still a good selection. Hopefully TTT2's console release can learn some things from both those games.

It's gonna be impossible, TTT2 is going to have 50 characters being customized. That's more than SCV and VF5 combined. There's no way they have the resources to make as many items for everyone of them in the same vain as in VF5 or SCV.

Got this free with the PSN thing. Never played a Virtua Fighter game, and was always bitter than VF4:E got more positive press than Soul Calibur 2 at the time, so I've had to put some past biases aside to take this all in, lol.

So far this is very... hmm. I really had never so much as seen this series in action but I quite like how barebones the fighting engine is. No gimmicks, power-ups, etc. The graphics are missing some visual layers (I'm aware this is a 2006 game so I won't be a cynic) but overall this is quite fun. Very arcadey.

STG

man, I am just not feeling shun in this version
think I will go back to Aoi, I mean someone has to, right?

Had a few good matches wih Kyouji before I had to come into work. Those were some pretty great costumes for Eileen. I loved the beach get up.

It feels so good to finally be playing the latest revision of VF. I'll be back on tonight around 12AM eastern. Hope to see everyone then!

I think I'm also joining the Aoi army. Customized her and she looks pretty nice. I bought the Lei-Fei pack but I felt a bit disappointed with his options. Should've gone for Shun or Pai. I do agree that Pai is a pretty nice beginner character though, I got some wins with her. Shun on the other hand...I enjoyed him in the small amount of time with VF5, and I do like drunken kung fu but I'm also not feeling him at the moment.

SickBoy

I have a weird way of holding the controller playing this game. Involves basically resting it on my lap. A few frustrating moments playing on PSN as I wound up pushing triggers. I hope setting shoulder buttons to "no input" will fix.

Hold the start button as you select the character.

Thanks.

Just now I was playing ranked at 8th kyu, I got connected with a 1st dan Pai player. This character cusses me out the entire match. I took him all the way to 5 rounds. He barely beat me at the end, I was mad, and his final words were F U.

Wtf is wrong with these people ?

oh yeah lol he said "i'm gonna take you down to China town". :D

Thanks.

Just now I was playing ranked at 8th kyu, I got connected with a 1st dan Pai player. This character cusses me out the entire match. I took him all the way to 5 rounds. He barely beat me at the end, I was mad, and his final words were F U.

Wtf is wrong with these people ?

What a turd. I like the disconnect rating system but I wish there was a "poo sport" meter or something. I had a couple horrific run ins last night and just avoiding players like that would be great.

Edit: Heh, "poo sport". I'll keep it that way, as it sounds kind of appropriate.

Doomshine

Does Dural have some weird auto reversal I don't know about? I'm in free training and if I hit her with Goh's descending P and do a regular P immediately after she grabs it :eek: I have not changed any CPU settings.

Anyone? Is this intentional or is it a bug?

Also, anyone know the names of some good Goh players I can look up?

fernoca

Good to see that the "sound thing" is across all versions. Thought it was just me/mine. :p

It was the first thing I noticed, as if the sound came from a can. Really weird, considering that the "vanilla" VF5 sounded/sounds so great though the same speakers (the punches, kicks, voices, menu selection).

But, in the end is Virtua Figther; so it's cool. :p

Tain

Did they change up the crumpling in Final Showdown? I feel like I can't do low throws in some situations that I used to be able to.

Brisal73

Southern California - Virtua Fighter Party - Saturday June 9th

If you are new to the Virtua Fighter scene or just want to play, meet (for example LA Akira and WNF winner GCB), and join the community from Southern California, then mark your calendars for this Saturday June 9th from 2pm - Midnight

For further details you can click the following link:
http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/324791#Post324791

Facebook Page
facebook.com/VirtuaFighterSouthernCalifornia
Twitter Page
twitter.com/socalVF
Twitch Page
twitch.tv/vfsocal

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love her...

*shudder*

So help me out, Aoi fans. Why are you drawn to her? What are your favorite things about her? And are you ok with pronouncing her full name? Just curious.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
*shudder*

So help me out, Aoi fans. Why are you drawn to her? What are your favorite things about her? And are you ok with pronouncing her full name? Just curious.

I main Aoi, I like her counter centric style, I like how she can burst out with brutal attacks, and I can pronounce her name correctly, but I usually don't

Why do you hate her?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I main Aoi, I like her counter centric style, I like how she can burst out with brutal attacks, and I can pronounce her name correctly, but I usually don't

Why do you hate her?

Same reasons you like her, except for the name. Frustrating as hell. Plus she looks stupid! Stupid I tell you! In the meantime, I'm making a whimsical looking Jeffry...

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Same reasons you like her, except for the name. Frustrating as hell. Plus she looks stupid! Stupid I tell you! In the meantime, I'm making a whimsical looking Jeffry...
Everbody hates someone, kage pisses me off.

Since VF 4 I have two ideas behind my outfits for Aoi. Demon one and one librarian.

Top Bottom