• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

d0c_zaius

Someone tell me how to properly to play this abysmal pile of mess? Granted, six matches aren't a ton for me and my friend to become completely acclimated with the controls and gameplay, but it'd be nice if the game was at least a little friendly to a newcomer.

Then again, maybe it's supposed to feel like that, and it's just a turd of a game.

your attitude is quite poor.

and no, six matches are not a ton.

6 matches is nothing. It takes hundreds to get a good grasp of the game. Thousands to master it.

The game is tremendously deep. It's the granddaddy of all 3d fighters. The game is fine. You have to invest some time and learn how to play it.

Someone tell me how to properly to play this abysmal pile of mess? Granted, six matches aren't a ton for me and my friend to become completely acclimated with the controls and gameplay, but it'd be nice if the game was at least a little friendly to a newcomer.

Then again, maybe it's supposed to feel like that, and it's just a turd of a game.

Haha, this game isn't for you. I don't think this genre is for you.

Bizazedo

Damnit, I stomp almost everyone, but there's a handful that know the system better then I do. I need to re-learn when you're vulnerable getting up / how to stand up properly. It's definitely one of the, if not the most, important skills in the game to learn.

Secret DOA troll?

Edgeward

How do you get up faster once you get knocked down without attacking? I don't mean the whole press PKG at the moment of falling to the ground. But once you already are.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not.

hamchan

First time playing this series and I think it's one of the best fighting games I've ever played. Currently rolling through very hard on arcade mode and I don't have the balls to try playing online yet.

Eccocid

First time playing this series and I think it's one of the best fighting games I've ever played. Currently rolling through very hard on arcade mode and I don't have the balls to try playing online yet.

Get ready to face with Jacky all the time..... :(
70% of your opponents will be Jacky! lol

played 50 matches havent seen anyone using Wolf or Jeffrey yet.

Sloosha

Now is a good time to hop in. Lots of beginners trying to learn the system or just mashing out strings.

I've played a good few Jacky's too.

Sayah

This post makes me sad. Mostly all fighters require way more than 6 matches to get good. Actually, almost half of my time if not more is always spent in practice rather than actual matches. It requires commitment.
And that's what's great about fighters. They test your reflexes, your pacing, your dexterity, your mental capabilities. You won't see the same level of strategic play or mind games going on in most other genres.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just got bodied by LA Akira on Live.

Is Shun in a crouching state or an OTG state when he's laying on the floor drinking? I couldn't figure out in time lol.

"ust got bodied by LA Akira on Live.

Is Shun in a crouching state or an OTG state when he's laying on the floor drinking? I couldn't figure out in time lol."

You can hit him while he's in that state with anything that hits low enough.

alstein

That's not too many Eileens on PSN, it seems dude. :/

Going by replays there's a bunch of under used characters. But that's probably because no one is saving replays (why bother when you can't export them?). In addition in the past week the count for leaderboards is went from 6,000 day one to like 17,000 it seems the PSrental service offer hasn't enticed too many people to try and play the characters/game at all. :/

But there is a person on GAF that played it for the achievements and won't touch it ever again.

How does that 17k figure compare to other fighters on PS3? Is the game cutting off figures at a certain point?

KOF stops off at 10k, I'd estimate that the total figure for KOF given where the 10,000th person scores is around 16-17k, so odds are this game has sold as well as KOF, but I really think it needed to do twice as well.

I'm a little worried for the future of the series.

Alx

Get ready to face with Jacky all the time..... :(
70% of your opponents will be Jacky! lol

played 50 matches havent seen anyone using Wolf or Jeffrey yet.

That's funny, I don't think I've fought a single Jacky online, yet. :p It must really depend on the area. Met a few memorable Akira, Goh and Kage last night, good matches all around but you really need a good connection to enjoy the game. When the game gets sluggish because of lag it sucks all the fun out of it.

Atcha

7350894076_9f209d134a_z.jpg

my body is ready !

Been playing VF: FS a lot. Trying to get used to it again. There have been some changes applied to my mains. This game is amazing. Arguably the best fighter ever and I played most, if not all of them.

My PSN ID is Eraptura if anyone wants to add me. I am still learning, so go easy on my Sarah and i am playing on a controller lol.

sonicmj1

Dug into the training mode, and did a handful of matches.

It's definitely playable against others on the controller, but I don't think I can get through the dojo trials that way. Something keeps going wrong on Evasion 2, and I know my Offensive Moves are incredibly inconsistent coming out. I think it's hard for me to consistently double-tap diagonal directions on the PS2 controller.

That said, this is my first time with VF, and I'm really liking what I've seen. My prior 3D fighting game experience is largely with Soul Calibur 2, and this has a much more intricate system of high/low, block/evade, throw/break, and so on than that game did. I tried out Eileen and liked her plethora of cancels, so I'm going to stick with her a bit longer. Even though I hate how her face looks in her win pose.

Does anyone have a horizontal evasion command? I loved using Taki's roll in SC2 as a way of opening people up, but Eileen's evades are almost all 2D.

She's very very changed. Feels 65-70% different. Lost moves, gained new, very different combos, 2 new stances. Still very awesome.

Radical stuff like her rising knees are done by while standing from a crouch with just K like in Tekken.

She can only do her old flamingo throw from step now, lost kick c.ombos from step, just frame kicks now knock down, tons of new throws. 33K is now 1K. Lol too much to note.

Yeah, ok I thought she was very different. I noticed some of her moves have been altered and some of my old combos are not working now. I am adapting to her and still think she is awesome.

First time playing this series and I think it's one of the best fighting games I've ever played..

hell yeah, VF is so deep it almost feels like fighting simulator. lots of freedom in defense and attacks. evrytime i play vf and then switch to another fighting game it feels like i got a hand tied behind my back.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
It's dress up time !

My Lion :

img3789qk.jpg

My Wolf :

img3791f.jpg

Yesterday, I played 30 matches and it was really fun. But I have to admit I'm having trouble with Lion against Lei Fei. He has so many new moves that makes him unpredictable (but not Shun-level unpredictable).

I love this game.

Daigoro

hey wait, where do uploaded replays go to?

i uploaded some rinky dink replay on day one and i have no idea where it actually went to.

ha ha!

Ultrachen has a good vid with LA Akira that goes over the fundamentals, what to focus on when you're learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5UcZ45X2qM

There's a part 2, haven't watched that one yet.

BadWolf

Gave Jean a rest yesterday and played mostly with Eileen, with some Goh towards the end. Looked up infos, went through commands and played lots of matches with both.

Eileen is fast but I dunno, probably just because I'm green with her but I wasn't having too much fun using her even though I won for the most the time. New with Jean and Goh as well but enjoyed their play styles nonetheless. Seems those cancels and feints or whatever are a big part of her game, all about tricks.

Goh is slower but pretty badass and hits hard, nice damage. Lots of launchers and hard hitting moves, knock down into ground throw is very satisfying. A lot of mid hitting attacks and a lot of launchers, didn't seem to have much in the way of a low game though. Command roll under attacks into throw feels so good. Really like his Judo style and how its represented.

Will probably concentrate on Vanessa and Sarah today.

Jean is badass, especially that 4, 6 P+K, KPPKP, K.

I'm just getting into the game, tried most of the characters, I think I'm sticking with Sarah. Her slide and step moves are awesome.

The Dojo is like the best training mode ever made in a fighting game, play through it to learn stuff! :D

Daigoro

found the replay's. paged over to Shun and found several replays of me getting my ass whooped in my pink Shun outfit. lol

not many Shun replay's up yet. the one i uploaded to test is a crappy one.

looks like you can only upload one replay for yourself.

Sixfortyfive

The Dojo is like the best training mode ever made in a fighting game
It's been years since I touched VF4E, so I'd have to check to verify at this point, but I still don't think any fighter has come close to topping that one's training resources.

mattfabb

Banned
Thanks. Which crouch tech move? You sure it's duckable? Maybe it's the lag but it felt like I could do nothing.

Funny, today I fought mostly against Eileen, there are millions of her. Then it would be Vanessa, Pai, Jacky, Kage, ElBlaze, Leifei, Goh in that order and few of the rest. Seems like Taka, Aoi or Jeffry doesn't exist, lol. Jean seemed really popular yesterday, but looks like peeps are dropping him today. He is definitely much harder to play then Sarah for me.

Yeah, this is one of two things I never liked about VF. In some combos opponent is falling 10cm above the ground and you can juggle him with standing jab. It's alternative reality man.

Second one is lack of the real okizeme(there are different definitions of this but I mean attacking opponent thats lying on the ground). It's really natural in tekken to attack knocked down or opponent thats getting up and all moves that look like they should hit him, will. So you don't wait kindly as he gets up but rush him as you have many options and he's never safe. In VF you can do 1-2 canned attacks and wait as he safely gets up, not mentioning recovering opponent has invincibility frames for it feels like half an hour. This feels very artificial, throwing off offense imo.

Game would be pretty much perfect if not for these two oddities. But no game is so whatever.

Switched from Sarah to Jean. Oh man, yesterday I played Sarah on all connections and it was fine even with lag. Now Jean is unplayable with lag, on laggy matches game starts stuttering which didn't happen yesterday and stops correctly reading Jeans "charging" moves. You just can't play him right, Sarah-no problem, Jean-becomes Dan.
But even with 1 bar everything comes back to normal. It just sucks that now I have to search much longer for decent connections.

Sega, please patch searching by connection indicators.

Fresh VF5FS Tutorial series!

Jump in!

both of these points are wrong, but the bolded one is more wrong-er than the other.

First: standing punch will not connect with an opponent 10 above the ground.

second: okizeme in VF5 is incredible, you just have to know what to do

7350894076_9f209d134a_z.jpg

my body is ready !

Sure to be out done myself soon after this post but, my body is readier!

TPaQwl.jpg

My VF3 is at my inlaws house in Japan :(
Shame i only have a Faux High-Grade HRAP EX though!
Worse still, i only have a spent 1500 points card to physically show for my FS purchase!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Im gonna quote this one again.
The game has the best tutorial of this gen so i believe this is not the game or genre for you.

I may get a PSN Card today. Crossing fingers!!

Daigoro

just played my first gaffer in a ranked match online. SegamanAU. we each won one. ggs.

FUCK i really hate Lau playing as Shun. the straight forward quick punch kick combos really expose a weakness in my game. i guess its a good thing. hopefully it will make me want to really learn how to play the game.

its a lot harder to play Shun while under pressure for sure. every skilled player ive played as Shun will be relentless, wont let me get a drink in.

It's been years since I touched VF4E, so I'd have to check to verify at this point, but I still don't think any fighter has come close to topping that one's training resources.

yeah FE has a much deeper training mode than FS does.

this one is good though. the license tests are decent.

Doomshine

I don't think it's quite as deep as that, but still way ahead of most fighting games.

Is there a GAF scrub lobby or something on PSN? I'll try to take my 1 day Goh online later today.

EDIT: In Europe, to clarify.

Bizazedo

second: okizeme in VF5 is incredible, you just have to know what to do

That's actually my problem right now. I remember a lot of the stuff from prior games, but I can't remember the rules to getting up. I used to be able to fight people like Chief Flash, Jhow, and Konjou Akira on an even basis, but last night I got myself killed versus them + L A Akira due to getting up issues.

Well, that and not recognizing some attacks as they come in like I used to + Jacky can't retreat as quickly as he used to. Sad face.

Quick Rise = vulnerable to attacks, right?

Rising normally is invul in the beginning? I can't remember.

I staggered a very good Kage once I started testing it last night with a kick hitting mid and got a new stagger animation I hadn't seen yet. Kage fell down, looked cool as hell, but it was a stagger, not an actual KD.

alstein

It's infuriating to play someone who spams the same 2-3 moves, even if you win.

Ran into some idiot Jean player in ranked who kept doing a mid string of some sort, and would always follow with low punch, and would never block if the 2P was blocked. So I just ended up elbowing him to death. Argh.

At least I'm not losing to this stuff, but I'm afraid this is going to make me fraudulent when I play someone intelligent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fought an Akira last night that basically cut open my abdomen and made my innards spill out. Holy jesus christ it was like there was nothing I could do. Incredible player.

Just makes me want to play more. :)

Sixfortyfive

Re: Getting up from knockdown. I think you have to hold G while rising to block during ground recovery.

So I've pretty much been just swinging at the fences without much in the way of a gameplan. I do alright trolling with parry stance and ranged attacks when I have the lead, but I just kind of fold under pressure when up close. Need to actually look up how to do damage off of the openings that I do manage to get, 'cause I'm not getting very far just pecking away at my opponents.

AwRy108

Here are the characters I like: Akira, El Blaze, Sarah, Jacky, Wolf, Jeffery

Who would be easiest to learn and break my VF5FS hymen with? So far everything I've been trying on my own has been going really rough and I could use some pointers.

Jacky. But he's also very predictable and many of his moves are bad news if you wiff with them. He's the first person I learned to play as, and he's been really fun to use since VF4; but once you start to become more familiar with the game's mechanics, you'll most likely move on to someone more complex (for me, that character was Shun Di).

Jamesways

Ok, I wasn't going to pick this up because I typically don't like playing online. And I seriously overdosed on VF4, I believe I stopped with over 5000 matches with AOI and a 1000 with Akira and Wolf. That may not be a lot for some of the diehards, but it was for me. Game was crack rock.
Didn't play much of VF5 on the 360.

But playing the trial, this is awesome. A lot of changed moves, and I just love this game. Ever since VF1, it's been my favorite fighter hands down.

Even playing against Akira at the end of the score attack, it's amazing seeing the new moves and great to see the AI playing him really well.

MUST BUY TODAY!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Even playing against Akira at the end of the score attack, it's amazing seeing the new moves and great to see the AI playing him really well.

MUST BUY TODAY!

Welcome back to the Virtua Fighter world! And yeah, in the old games, even at highest difficulties, Akira was easily beatable by blocking everything and hitting guaranteed throws. Now, not so much.

Top Bottom