• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

pmj

So here's a problem I have. I understand that it should be possible to block an attack and then throw the opponent, but while I keep trying I've succeeded only once. Either the opponent's attacks pushes us apart far enough for the throw to miss, or they follow up the attack I blocked with a punch or other attack, and their punch beats my throw.

Is this an attack speed thing? Only throw when they do a slow attack?

Got my first 15 online games in today on XBL and had a blast playing VF against real people in a long time. Netcode was pretty damn good. Took me a bit to adjust to not playing against an AI that will fall for some of the same stuff over and over. This Taka player mauled me for two games, but thankfully he let me play him a third time and I was able to adjust to his strategy and properly time my evades.

IF you know WolfenDeath let him know he is an asshole! Dude disconnected on me in my FIRST damn game and gave me the angry face logo under my name.

So here's a problem I have. I understand that it should be possible to block an attack and then throw the opponent, but while I keep trying I've succeeded only once. Either the opponent's attacks pushes us apart far enough for the throw to miss, or they follow up the attack I blocked with a punch or other attack, and their punch beats my throw.

IIRC throws activate after 12 frames. Which means throws are uninterruptable if moves are at least -12 on block. You can go through a character's movelist with the CPU blocking and with frame data on to see which moves are -12 or worse.

Normally you'll want to attempt to throw someone when you are at the advantage, since they will want to be blocking.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
Just did my first 10 ranked matches and only won one. I feel like ultrachen was a complete was of time as nothing they mentioned seems to work as well as just rushing forward. All this thinking before attacking is getting me mauled. Maybe it's just taking their advice on running jean that's messing with me. I used to do ok with wolf...

Also getting promoted while losing is just depressing

To lose a bout or several bouts, it's one of the best things that can happen to you in fighting games and especially in VF. Every defeat makes you stronger, it helps you to understand your mistakes, to analyze better your opponent's strategy. Maybe you won't notice any difference at first, but when you are starting to win, you'll realize that you have learned so many things from defeats.

Daigoro

I get nervous whether I win or not. It's a problem I have that I'm trying to work on.

6th online game and I get my first win. I'm so happy. Sure, that guy with 350 matches under his belt probably took pity on me when he saw how new I was to the game, but still!

repetition will help i believe. the more you play the more comfortable you get.

sounds like a good first win! hah. awesome.

To lose a bout or several bouts, it's one of the best things that can happen to you in fighting games and especially in VF. Every defeat makes you stronger, it helps you to understand your mistakes, to analyze better your opponent's strategy. Maybe you won't notice any difference at first, but when you are starting to win, you'll realize that you have learned so many things from defeats.

this is good advice.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just got the Complete Edition and im donwloading all the packs.
The Throw Evade System looks crazy complex. @_@

galvatron

Dude, I've been playing fighters for most of my life and that is how I get better...abare is super good when your opponent doesn't know the proper response to your string is the frustrating part about the ultrachen advice, in the short term.

Also, I'd rather not level up when I'm not actually winning. It makes the levels seem more pointless than usual.

Where I am now, it's like playing poker against people that don't fold: you can win, but only if you know the spots to punish and the proper move to make. Not many people I've played are doing much aside from attacking, relentlessly.... I also have pmj's problem, so I guess I need to use throws outside of punishment situations.

Deps

An attack will always beat a throw. Vs mashers/2p monsters and in general aggressive opponents it's best to block 2p then elbow (6P). Only when you see that they've calmed down and aren't going ham as much then you can start throwing.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think the easiest time to go for a throw from an offensive position is after a normal standing punch, as a basic high punch is usually advantageous on hit or block.

snaffles

I must have spent 2 hours this morning making custom characters it is such a time sink. Really disappointed, though not totally surprised at the lack of people online in Australia, I played five ranked matches last night all against the same guy, we seemed to be the only two aussies online. Guess its lucky I like playing dress up and single player mode.

I must have spent 2 hours this morning making custom characters it is such a time sink. Really disappointed, though not totally surprised at the lack of people online in Australia, I played five ranked matches last night all against the same guy, we seemed to be the only two aussies online. Guess its lucky I like playing dress up and single player mode.

That's why I always have "Worldwide" permanently set.

That's VF4 series. Also that little cosmetic doesn't matter for Lei Fei's stage on VF5FS is much better now. It's beautiful yet hard-hitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAiZVAvpHA

To be honest. I feel you probably based most of your thoughts on vague memories though I do kinda agree with most of what you said.

Yeah Lei Fei's new deep mountain stage is one of the better new ones.
I looked at the arena and island videos you linked to, I think the FS version of Island has better lighting or something and I like the new Arena better than the old version. But yeah the palette choices in River and especially the Great Wall Stage looked better in VF5 IMO. I like Kage and Aoi's old levels better too. :(

I don't know why they removed the rain from city either. Did the city from VF5 have the traffic like in VF5:FS ? I was trying to figure out why they had to remove the rain.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Sure to be out done myself soon after this post but, my body is readier!

TPaQwl.jpg

My VF3 is at my inlaws house in Japan :(
Shame i only have a Faux High-Grade HRAP EX though!
Worse still, i only have a spent 1500 points card to physically show for my FS purchase!

My body is readier!!!

There was more stuff too, just couldn't be bothered digging it all out lol.

KGoue.jpg

C6Cmd.jpg

3KCOt.jpg

BVO6f.jpg

New VF5FS Hori stick on the way too...w00t!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
OP updated with everyone's gamertags/profiles, sorry it took so long, everyone. Also updated with some more vids for beginners. Will update it again later with reviews!

Xeno_V

New VF5FS Hori stick on the way too...w00t!

So where can one get this stick? Only through Hori's Japanese website or are there any alternatives?
I am still wondering by the way why is it so hard for SEGA to reissue the VSHG (+ X360 version this time around):/.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
So where can one get this stick? Only through Hori's Japanese website or are there any alternatives?
I am still wondering by the way why is it so hard for SEGA to reissue the VSHG (+ X360 version this time around):/.

I had to buy mine through eBay.

SickBoy

Having fun at 39-22 right now. I love playing against people who are pretty even with me.

One of the big challenges for me is adjusting from match to match. Some people give me fits. Others seem to lack defensive fundamentals. It's always very interesting.

Although I'll never understand it when you beat someone down and then they pull back and wait for you... especially someone with a relatively reliable distance move, like Vanessa's leaping mid-kick (I had one guy do exactly that... get down to 1/3 health and then hang back and wait for me to walk into that... really?)

I'd better get the item packs, I suppose. That depletes most of my PlayStation money, but I think it'll somehow enhance my enjoyment. That said, I'm not sure the offline mode will offer the same longevity as VF5 Online's Quest mode.

soakrates

I'm pretty sure attack always beats throw in VF unless the opponent is at -10 or worse. Against people who abare a lot, just play the frames and get your free counter hits and punishes. Once they start to respect you and block more, then you can start throwing them.

It's important not to think too much. Also, remember that in VF, whenever two moves hit at the same time, the move that does more damage wins out. That comes in very handy against people who spam 2P.

Riposte

This game is tremendous. Even an eager noob (from VF4) like me can see that.

Toying around with Vanessa, Shun, Jean, Sarah (the way she moves is just cool to look at), and Jeffery atm. I want a long poke character.

The training mode puts most games to shame. I think I might sink more than a few hours there.

AAK

75% of my victorious matches are due to random Somersaults with Sarah.... I really feel like I'm not winning with skill. Trying to switch to Aoi... she's such a unique character. I'm losing 9 out of every 10 matches but that 1 victory I get with her is so much more fulfilling than all those others I was doing with Sarah.

75% of my victorious matches are due to random Somersaults with Sarah.... I really feel like I'm not winning with skill. Trying to switch to Aoi... she's such a unique character. I'm losing 9 out of every 10 matches but that 1 victory I get with her is so much more fulfilling than all those others I was doing with Sarah.

Why not just focus on fundamentals with Sarah?

I fought a Jeffry for the first time. I won in 5 rounds, not bad since he was higher rank than me.

Lion has been giving me a lot of problems. Seems like any competent Lion player always beats me. He is really good at attacking and dealing damage while you're on the ground or getting up off it.

AAK

Why not just focus on fundamentals with Sarah?

I wasn't levelling up with the majority of the competition online so far, so using a character that doesn't have such an abusable move at newb-level forces me to actually learn matchups, improve my fuzzy guarding, sidestep cancels, and throw breaks.

Eccocid

I fought a Jeffry for the first time. I won in 5 rounds, not bad since he was higher rank than me.

Lion has been giving me a lot of problems. Seems like any competent Lion player always beats me. He is really good at attacking and dealing damage while you're on the ground or getting up off it.

I hate Lion! Cant read his moves if they are low or high attack and he usually ends up raping my block and sweeping me.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Can anyone clue me on the benefits of Sarah's flamingo stance?

It has a lot of applications. Most basic is to tack on extra damage when you combo with something that enters into FL.

You also have defensive options. Backflip lets you get out of a bad situation, p+k parries 2p's, 4K is also a strong anti 2p counter move as well etc.

Old, but some of it still applies.

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/vf5/sarah/strategy

Unrelated, but why does Jacky's backflip do such an abhorrent amount of damage? That thing connects on CH, and BAM ~40% damage gone.

USD

Going through Eileen's move list again, now I understand how she works. She's pretty complicated with the Interrupt/Cancel stance stuff. Maybe I'll try her out anyway.

rvy

Banned
PS3: Shkashi
Xbox 360: Shkashi

I'm easy rank points. Maining Jean, so you already know I'm pretty terrible.

Trojan X

Banned
Yeah Lei Fei's new deep mountain stage is one of the better new ones.
I looked at the arena and island videos you linked to, I think the FS version of Island has better lighting or something and I like the new Arena better than the old version. But yeah the palette choices in River and especially the Great Wall Stage looked better in VF5 IMO. I like Kage and Aoi's old levels better too. :(

I don't know why they removed the rain from city either. Did the city from VF5 have the traffic like in VF5:FS ? I was trying to figure out why they had to remove the rain.

I'm afraid that there is no reason other than variety.

VF5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgfS9taFOJs&feature=plcp
vf5_city.jpg

VF5 R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdJPwTS0AM THIS FIGHT IS AWESOME!
vf5r_city.jpg

VF5 FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjAUn8MooI
vf5fs_city.jpg

I really wish they put all the music from VF5 and R along with all the stages from R. Jean's music from VF5 R can't be topped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPMW2MvkCDI

The song is so sick that even I had to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IVXMim20eNs#t=56s

I love just hanging out in training and perfecting my execution but i'm really just not very good at actually fighting in VF! Playing online today, a Vanessa was owning me with a barrage of high and mid-punches. I'm blocking and trying to get something in between but it seems like there's no gap, or a slight timing mixup with my low punch response and i'm smacked with counter hit :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I love just hanging out in training and perfecting my execution but i'm really just not very good at actually fighting in VF! Playing online today, a Vanessa was owning me with a barrage of high and mid-punches. I'm blocking and trying to get something in between but it seems like there's no gap, or a slight timing mixup with my low punch response and i'm smacked with counter hit :(
Don't forget you have more options than simply blocking.

Downloading now....haven't played a VF since saturn era and have never been a master of fighting games..but fuck it, I'm going to give it a run :)

Dojo here I come.

Daigoro

so yeah, 400/400 was damn easy on 360. i thought the license tests might give some challenge, but not really.

that's fine though, that's out of the way and now i can just play VS online maybe i can finally learn how to really play this game if i keep at it.

Anyone has any tips on beating Dural? She is whooping my ass like I was some noob :/.

I'm doing everything against her, offensive move, defensive move, evade, block but it seems like she knows exactly what you are doing. I mix up my technique but nothing seems to be working against her. I'll win two rounds and for some odd reason for the next three rounds she goes into God mode.

Going through Eileen's move list again, now I understand how she works. She's pretty complicated with the Interrupt/Cancel stance stuff. Maybe I'll try her out anyway.

My advice is to learn her FS BnBs to start off. She has heavily damaging combos like any other characters, so once you learn those you can work on her interrupt/cancel stuff.

SickBoy

So is there much value in the single-player modes? I whipped through Arcade mode once, but I'm a little concerned this game has no longevity past the lifespan of the online community.

I was playing (and enjoying) VF5 Online up to the release of this game and really loving it, but that was Quest mode. Arcade mode won't offer the same draw, I don't think.

The outlook seems pretty good for the online community -- I'm not suggesting it's apt to fade away anytime soon -- but at some point it's going to shrink.

sonicmj1

After some more screwing around in player matches and arcade mode with Aoi, I made my first journey into Ranked, and things went very well. I feel like I'm starting to understand the basic flow of things better. At least now when I lose, I know why.

There was something Gerald said during that UltraChenTV segment about Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter that worked well for me. He said that many Street Fighter players want to keep attacking after they land something, but if you try that in VF, you become very easy to punish. When I tried to cut back on my attack mashing (or at least, do it more intelligently), I started doing much better. I also feel a lot more comfortable attacking back against people going all abare on me.

I sometimes have trouble doing forward-punch out of block when I need a mid hit. It's a real problem when I wind up going into my high punch string instead.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Top Bottom