• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Eiji

Doesn't it have all the soundtracks? In the options menu you can select sound type, cycle between VF5, 5R, and FS. As well as VF1, 2, 3, and 4.

It pretty much does but for some reason, Akira's VF5 stage music has been replaced with this.

This is what should be playing on his stage with the VF5 music option selected:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_fo43FE5E

I don't know why this particular (and superior) music track was cut from the game.

54-46!

I find this game to be a really good teaching tool for learning how to play with a stick, just having the input display up and mashing away in the dojo is doing wonders for me.

Daigoro

anyone interested in a GAF room going tonight in a few hours on 360?

gonna take a break then play some ranked for a short bit. ill be back in a bit.

Shun and Akira for noobs? not sure about that. unless you really like the way they play. Lau, ok.

Yeah I didn't mean to say they are specifically good for noobs, even though that's kind of what he asked. I just listed the "best" characters in the game for whatever it's worth. I only found out yesterday my character Lei Fei is C tier. I guess the final showdown changes kind of hurt his game.

Daigoro

If I ever manage to learn a second character, it's gonna be Eileen.

yeah she's cool. id probably play her too if i wasnt stuck on Shun.

Yeah I didn't mean to say they are specifically good for noobs, even though that's kind of what he asked. I just listed the "best" characters in the game for whatever it's worth. I only found out yesterday my character Lei Fei is C tier. I guess the final showdown changes kind of hurt his game.

i gotcha. but yeah, it really is what ever character suits you best. you can do really well with any one if you have a good grasp of the basics and know how to use your character against other ones.

i havent seen one Lei Fei online yet... im sure he can be decent though. good luck with him!

Sure.

Just send an invite.

gt: BLACK L A C x

ok cool. will try to set it up in a bit.

RiZ III

Man I fricken love this game. Can't believe it was free for Psn+. So awesome that it's got retro soundtracks. VF2 has the best soundtrack imo.

My only complaint is that they got rid of some of the backgrounds and changed others. The monks level in vf5 with all the fog was beautiful so was the original great wall of china level. I hate the new look of the wall of china level, it's a major downgrade. Also Eileen's level has sand instead of water, which again kind of sucks. Most of the levels look just as good if not better than what I remember from the 360 version but I wish they wouldn't have removed the backgrounds. I'd buy them of they were dlc.

Speaking of dlc, it sucks that I can just unlock accessories like the original and also they got rid of the challenges they had at those virtual arcade locations. The original main menu was waaaaaaay better than the new one which is really ugly.

Complaints aside, the actuall fighting system is the best in any fighting game by far. Ive been totally addicted.

Btw my PSN ID is NoahSteam

After some sessions with Sarah on Player Match, today I finally tried Ranked Match. Got to 5th Kyu in about 16 matches but then I met a 5th Dan Lau. Man, I couldn't pull anything!! I think just got traumatized...

Riposte

After some sessions with Sarah on Player Match, today I finally tried Ranked Match. Got to 5th Kyu in about 16 matches but then I met a 5th Dan Lau. Man, I couldn't pull anything!! I think just got traumatized...

I was tearing ass up with fundamentals alone, but after I got up there on a rank I pretty much destroyed my point/game ratio.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
It's funny I've run into a bunch of locals, but I don't think I've run into anyone on here as of yet.

I also keep being undecided on my customs, I think I spend 20-30 minutes everyday changing how my Aoi looks. I can't find that one satisfying costume- thought I had it earlier, but noticed I was giving out panty shots, and I don't want to do that.

When you go in the customize menu you can save a few different outfits. Every time you play you can just press "X" and select all the custom outfits you have saved.

No need to change it everyday.

Daigoro

its casual, all US based for now, but i dont think anyone will mind trying other areas as long as the connection it bearable.

gt is Daigoro send me a message. we're making a new room in a moment.

Daigoro

thanks black it was fun. also, you are good.

all alone at the moment. send me a msg or an invite if someone wants to get a gaf room going. gonna do some ranked.

saelz8

GG's Black and Daigoro.
3AQmK.gif

Grifter

Even the single char dlc is 1.93 gigs just like the bundle, so yes. I think when you dl one you get everything else too, but they're locked

That what I'd expect but people are reporting that you need to buy all the DLC too, which would take the DLC structure (given limitations) from brilliant to terrible.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
haha losing handily online in ranked but damn sometimes you get those moments where it all comes together for a brief time and it is so glorious.

How much do tiers matter in this game?

I think skill is a lot more important. It's more balanced than most fighting games.

S: Akira, Jacky, Taka, Lion
A: Goh, Vanessa, Brad, Jean
B: Shun, Wolf
C: Lau, Aoi, Pai, Kage, Sarah, Blaze
D: Eileen, Lei-Fei, Jeffry

Well shit, I was looking at the old list. Lei Fei is D tier now. But now I have an excuse for losing. :D

Dude I'm 1st dan and have lost to some 9th Kyus with less than 3 matches on their record! But I think they were expert players with a new profile.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think skill is a lot more important. It's more balanced than most fighting games.

S: Akira, Jacky, Taka, Lion
A: Goh, Vanessa, Brad, Jean
B: Shun, Wolf
C: Lau, Aoi, Pai, Kage, Sarah, Blaze
D: Eileen, Lei-Fei, Jeffry

Well shit, I was looking at the old list. Lei Fei is D tier now. But now I have an excuse for losing. :D
Not really. From what I understand, tiers in VF are mostly an indication of how hard you have to work rather than your ability to win.

just got pwned by a Lao with 2800bp. Raider rank ? He controlled me like a rag doll the first two matches, but I got a few hits in before he won the third. Weird game though, it had 2 bars and yet was very laggy.

Not really. From what I understand, tiers in VF are mostly an indication of how hard you have to work rather than your ability to win.

I'm not a VF expert at all, but when I was reading up on this yesterday, on the old tier list based on the arcade, the S class is supposedly godly, like without any flaws or weaknesses. But with A tier not that far behind, B tier not that far behind A, C not that far behind B etc. And I agree, I read the difficulty of employing the characters strategy and I would presume how physically challenging it is to pull of their combos and specials, is factored in too.

But that new tier list certainly agrees with my experience. Almost every character from the S and A class I find very challenging. Vanessa, Lion, Akira, Jacky, all usually kick my ass. Brad and Goh can be tough. Whereas just 20 minutes ago I beat a 5th dan Wolf. I don't think I've beat any S or A class played that high of rank.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Lei Fei isn't as hard to use as some others but I'm still a fairly green player. I think it's an advantage not many use him, as it seems many opponents I fight are not used to facing him and can be caught off guard by his kung fu.

Xevren

This is the first time I have ever gotten to play a VF with people thanks to the online being pretty good. I play Goh and do ok for the most part, still struggling on what to do with some of the spammy nonsense. Sometimes I can just parry/throw, or I try to sidestep around. Still fun though.

KiNeSiS

Banned
What?!?
Jeffry is D tier? I'm crushing high level players with him online.
Whoever doubts Jeffry come see me PSN- MikeCthaILLest

DRE Fei

I don't know much about FS, so why is Taka S-tier?
He's unlike facing any other character in the game simply because of his juggle properties. You can't land max damage bnb combos on him because he barely floats at all. He also dishes out high damage and has great 50/50 throw mixup with hcb and hcf P+G. Both are guaranteed 80 damage if you guess wrong. Also, he has that armor stance that absorbs punches just like Wolf does. Overall, very solid character simply due to the fact that your entire game plan has to change when facing him.

alstein

Tiers make a tiny difference, but this is very balanced from top to bottom.

Yeah, Taka has all those advantages, but some moves actually are stronger on Taka- I think Jeff's PKP is a NC on Taka whereas it's requires CH on the rest of the cast. Taka also is weak to evades, I think he lacks a full circular.

It's maybe a 5% diifference from top to bottom- so the better player will usually win. The high damage of the game also helps.

In terms of balance, this game makes KOFXIII look like MVC2 or 3S.

DR2K

Banned
Customization is quite limited from my experience.

Game looks kind of blurry. Lower resolution than I remember.

Netcode is alright, definitely not on par with VF5(360).

Overall I'm enjoying it, but kind of dissapointed at the same time.

This is the first time I have ever gotten to play a VF with people thanks to the online being pretty good. I play Goh and do ok for the most part, still struggling on what to do with some of the spammy nonsense. Sometimes I can just parry/throw, or I try to sidestep around. Still fun though.
Find a go to move for crushing high/lows. That should beat most of them.

fernoca

Well, finally was able to purchase the game (was playing the demo since release); along a "Brad pack" since is the only character I use (plus "too poor" to buy all packs. In the end, I might end using also Akira and Pai; so if anything I'll just buy those 2 other packs.

Game's awesome as always, noticed in the options that you can change the soundtracks to previous games (didn't noticed it in the demo) so that was nice. Also noticed that you could turn up the volume, so the game sounds slightly better at a higher volume than the default (5) which is like a can. :p

How do you go about finding that? Is it labelled in some way in the command list or somewhere else?

It's not labeled. For high crushing, there is should be some kind of move, usually a low that would lower your hitbox under highs. Lions 2K+G is a good example. For low crushing, you'll want to find a move that puts you in the air. Something like Sarah/Jacky somersaults or Vanessa/Brad/Jeffry knee.

You'll just have to look through Goh's movelist. I don't know the character well.

Even the single char dlc is 1.93 gigs just like the bundle, so yes. I think when you dl one you get everything else too, but they're locked

I was playing with someone the other day who only owns one of the single character DLC packs and he couldn't see my customs with the other characters =( it sucks....it should act as a compatibility pack too if it's gonna be that big!

simtmb

I must have spent 2 hours this morning making custom characters it is such a time sink. Really disappointed, though not totally surprised at the lack of people online in Australia, I played five ranked matches last night all against the same guy, we seemed to be the only two aussies online. Guess its lucky I like playing dress up and single player mode.

XD from AUS here. It was probably me haha.

Well I'm 0-10 in ranked but at least I got an achievement out of it haha.

Coming from a 2D fighting game background, I've never really been able to figure out 3D fighters. I almost never feel safe in VF. I press a button and hope whatever button the other guy pressed doesn't beat it. I really need to break out of my 2D game shell, my mind understands and feels at home in a game like Street Fighter, but VF is always scary.

Top Bottom