• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

I think a lot of people are favoring ranked matches and regular player matches right now, because waiting for the timer to count down between matches makes lobbies kind of a hassle. Hopefully Sega will update the game and allow people to skip the timer or at least make make the countdown shorter.

I wonder if people that have a problem with the timer realize you're bypassing character selection. It's really not that much longer than SF4, if at all.

panda21

damn this game is so good :D

Jean is a lot of fun, not so keen on Sumo man.

Goh and Akira still my favourites but its really hard not to get worked playing MP as Akira, for me at least. guys like Lei Fei can spam you to death pretty easily it feels like.

Calibrated

Neo Member
Anyone UK/EU 360gaf wanna play a set or get a lobby going? Kinda bored doing ranked, people just press buttons. I say that like they are so scrubby id beat them all but i lose about half still :(

edit: can you add me to the list of gamer tags pleeeeease! 360: Calibrated

GrayFoxPL

both of these points are wrong, but the bolded one is more wrong-er than the other.

First: standing punch will not connect with an opponent 10 above the ground.

second: okizeme in VF5 is incredible, you just have to know what to do

It's not true oki in the meaning I explained. In VF opponent that get's up has tons of invincibility frames and whenever opponent gets up with a sweep, mid kick or nothing you react accordingly, backdash and attack, dodge-sidestep, jump etc. but you can't hit him while he's getting up, rolling or pop him up from ground, you must wait for him. Reaction on opponent that gets up safe and offense on opponent that's not safe while getting up. That's the difference.

And VF does have weird hitboxes in juggles. I extracted few frames from this combo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL39371D79950762BE&v=DV54ThUcp9o#t=34s

I wanted to make few gifs but somehow my tools stopped recognizing images I saved. Wtf.
iNTJFqcNqEnzU.jpg

iBTVwkUECPj6g.jpg

ibwXatvqGpqUeQ.jpg

I love VF but I don't have to pretend it does everything right. Be cool.

soakrates

I wonder if people that have a problem with the timer realize you're bypassing character selection. It's really not that much longer than SF4, if at all.
Most people have their characters picked out within a few seconds. It rarely takes anybody the full length of the timer to select a character. There should at least be some kind of "ready up" feature that skips the countdown once both players have indicated they're ready for the game to start.

Eccocid

No luck with playing (eu/it).. a lot of wait, found a room, a few matches, the host disconnects an recreates another room... if I follow him, he disconnets again... looking for another room, another long wait pressing square here and there to update... do-loop :/

Well, I'll try later, after dinner.

Edit: and I found just two "same area" rooms in three days... :/

Set it to "Worldwide". I am form Turkey and tried "Same Area" few times and couldnt find any games in 30 mins. I guess same area radius is like few blocks around where u are located :p

In worldwide i was expecting massive lag but 80% of the matches i played (around 70 now) was lag free.

It's not true oki in the meaning I explained. In VF opponent that get's up has tons of invincibility frames and whenever opponent gets up with a sweep, mid kick or nothing you react accordingly, backdash and attack, dodge-sidestep, jump etc. but you can't hit him while he's getting up, rolling or pop him up from ground, you must wait for him. Reaction on opponent that gets up safe and offense on opponent that's not safe while getting up. That's the difference.

And VF does have weird hitboxes in juggles. I extracted few frames from this combo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL39371D79950762BE&v=DV54ThUcp9o#t=34s

I wanted to make few gifs but somehow my tools stopped recognizing images I saved. Wtf.

Combos in VF has always been like that, there is nothing new.

And I'm still a little confused by what you mean about wakeup. Are you saying that if they are getting up and do nothing, you can't do anything until they are fully standing?

If they take too long to get up and you do a down attack as they are standing up, you will knock them to the ground. This will force opponents to quick recover or roll back. If they choose to roll back, you can crouch dash towards them and start the oki game.

If that makes any sense.

Hinomura

Set it to "Worldwide". I am form Turkey and tried "Same Area" few times and couldnt find any games in 30 mins. I guess same area radius is like few blocks around where u are located :p

In worldwide i was expecting massive lag but 80% of the matches i played (around 70 now) was lag free.

All the matches I had were "worldwide" except those very few matches in two "same area" rooms (just for the lol, in one of these two rooms there were a boy and a girl chit-chatting... I left embarassed).

Well, let's see if I'm more lucky this time!

Edit: no luck at first! no worldwide and no same area rooms available :/
Edit 2: found one ww!
Edit 3: kicked out...

Eccocid

All the matches I had were "worldwide" except those very few matches in two "same area" rooms (just for the lol, in one of these two room there were a boy and a girl chit-chatting... I left embarassed).

Well, let's see if I'm more lucky this time!

Edit: no luck at first! no worldwide and no same area rooms available :/

Edit 2: found one ww!

Thats weird...i probably waited for like maximum 10 secs in worldwide. Even if i pick custom matches before i can pick any lobby from list i get in to a fight automatically. Maybe its a port problem?

GrayFoxPL

Combos in VF has always been like that, there is nothing new.

And I'm still a little confused by what you mean about wakeup. Are you saying that if they are getting up and do nothing, you can't do anything until they are fully standing?

If they take too long to get up and you do a down attack as they are standing up, you will knock them to the ground. This will force opponents to quick recover or roll back. If they choose to roll back, you can crouch dash towards them and start the oki game.

If that makes any sense.

I mean the frames from lying position until they are up on their feet are invincible, rolling to the side too. It's made so opponent could get up. Eg in tekken you can hit opponent who's rolling to any direction or while getting up, no invincibility.

Hinomura

Thats weird...i probably waited for like maximum 10 secs in worldwide. Even if i pick custom matches before i can pick any lobby from list i get in to a fight automatically. Maybe its a port problem?

I had zero problems with sf4, ssf4, sf3ts and mvc3...

I mean the frames from lying position until they are up on their feet are invincible, rolling to the side too. It's made so opponent could get up. Eg in tekken you can hit opponent who's rolling to any direction or while getting up, no invincibility.
I might be wrong, but I think you can throw someone when they're rolling to the side on wakeup.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Got a PSN Card.
Im gonna edit everyone as SNKP characters.

GrayFoxPL

Umm I meant to ask how do I use special items on win animations? I bought only Jean customization.

Like if you equip bottle he sometimes cut it after a fight, with lantern he's supposed to smash it, I saw on youtube but nothing happens here. Should I hold PKG on replay or something?

Woo hoo promoted to 1st dan.

I have to become better at recovering. Some Lion just owned me by repeatedly getting me just as I saw standing up, or else jumping on me 3 times in a row. Lion's up+p move is insanely fast.

mattfabb

Banned

iNTJFqcNqEnzU.jpg

iBTVwkUECPj6g.jpg

ibwXatvqGpqUeQ.jpg

Again, you dont know okizeme in VF5.

Also, the video you linked shows lion being bounced in the air and the P caught his feet while he bounced back. Its silly that you can punch somebody in the feet and rebounce them, sure, but the hit box was not 10 cm from the ground.

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/vf5/system_part_2#bounce

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/vf5/system_part_1#on_the_ground

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Finally played some online matches today after sitting in the dojo for like an hour as I've not played any VF since 2 and even that was maybe a couple hours of playtime.
As someone with no experience whatsoever I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see more people like me to play with and with no lag problems too. Now I just need to learn all that Pai has to offer XD

Umm I meant to ask how do I use special items on win animations? I bought only Jean customization.

Like if you equip bottle he sometimes cut it after a fight, with lantern he's supposed to smash it, I saw on youtube but nothing happens here. Should I hold PKG on replay or something?

I noticed they happen randomly just like the others. I've been giving my guys as much special item stuff to increase the odds, lol

Takuan

Going through command training w/Goh at the moment. Having difficulty with Haritsuke (->K, then P+G during hit). I see a little bubble that seems to refer to a video, which I'm assuming will show me the timing/execution, but I don't know how to actually play it! I tried pressing all the buttons and everything. :|

Meantime

Going through command training w/Goh at the moment. Having difficulty with Haritsuke (->K, then P+G during hit). I see a little bubble that seems to refer to a video, which I'm assuming will show me the timing/execution, but I don't know how to actually play it! I tried pressing all the buttons and everything. :|

On PS3, you press start to bring up the menu, then triangle to play the demo.

Takuan

On PS3, you press start to bring up the menu, then triangle to play the demo.

Jesus, that's convoluted! I actually had to press start, then select the command list, and then press triangle. Thanks, though.

Turns out you have to launch the opponent first with another move, but it doesn't tell you that. -___-

Just noticed they took out the nice rain effects from the city stage. Anyone noticed other graphical downgrades?

Yeah the city stage in VF5:FS is missing the wet reflective look from VF5.

Also besides changing the time of day, Wolf's stage snow mountain doesn't have snow on the ground anymore. It used to be piled up like the sand in the ruins stage.

Also, didn't VF5 have a cage level where the floor was covered in water ? Was that the old ruins stage ?

It's impossible to search for specific stage videos on youtube as all that comes up are the soundtracks.

A few levels like Arena and Island could be an improvement but it's hard to compare since I don't have VF5 anymore.

Overall, I think VF5 stages were better. I don't like most of the changes. Like Shun Di's river stage, they made it all cloudy and overcast out. Lau's Great Wall looked better in VF5 too IMO.

And didn't Lei Fei's stage used to have tiles that would crack, or was that VF4 on PS2 ?

GrayFoxPL

Also besides changing the time of day, Wolf's stage snow mountain doesn't have snow on the ground anymore. It used to be piled up like the sand in the ruins stage.

Also, didn't VF5 have a cage level where the floor was covered in water ? Was that the old ruins stage ?

It's impossible to search for specific stage videos on youtube as all that comes up are the soundtracks.

A few levels like Arena and Island could be an improvement but it's hard to compare since I don't have VF5 anymore.

Overall, I think VF5 stages were better. I don't like most of the changes. Like Shun Di's river stage, they made it all cloudy and overcast out. Lau's Great Wall looked better in VF5 too IMO.

And didn't Lei Fei's stage used to have tiles that would crack, or was that VF4 on PS2 ?

Yeah, there was water stage in vf5 and Lei Fei stage in vf4 had breakable tiles.
Still, I really river, beach and great wall stages in fs. River has amazing background.

Rocking that VF3 soundtrack all the time, you guys?

54-46!

Wow, the online feels really good.

I mean, I'm a beginner so I might not notice the lag all that much, but just being able to jump from game to game without all of those bullshit error messages like in SF4, so good...

Hinomura

Made thirtyone ranked matches in a row with no problem at all... still, trying to find a room (ww/sa) is a difficult matter... well, let's keep up the rank! :)

SUPARSTARX

Yo ullll, about a 40 loss streak so far. Came close in few matches, figuring out some better moves to use in certain spacing and oki. Overall, I think I am getting a hang of this coming from a Capcom fighter guy.

This and Persona 4 Arena is gonna be soo goods.

I'm disappointed I can't get Bruce Lee's yellow track suit on Jacky. There's no options for it. :(

I don't think I've met a single Jacky. A good variety so far. Very few customised characters though, and two of them were Jean.

I've played Aoi almost exclusively online, but I want to get started with Vanessa and Jean too. From the characters I've done the movelists with, I like them the most. Vanessa is ridiculously brutal at times, but I wonder if the special prone stance will be useful when people catch on.

B.O.O.M

Fun game, but online can be very laggy. Also it's kinda weird that some moves do not connect, especially when the enemy is on the ground. (sometimes the sweep magically goes through them lol)

But my favorite is the 'might maaaakes riiiiiiiiight'

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've played Aoi almost exclusively online, but I want to get started with Vanessa and Jean too. From the characters I've done the movelists with, I like them the most. Vanessa is ridiculously brutal at times, but I wonder if the special prone stance will be useful when people catch on.

Yes it will be. Issue not being able to change the stance/mode on the fly for Vanessa to catch people off guard. You can't change during guarding has to be neutral stance.

pmj

Oh hey, I think I just met Daigoro's Shun with my Pai.

I get so nervous when playing online that I forget every move I have. I even tried to limit myself to only using a handful of moves, but not even that I can even remember. Maybe I should limit myself to just the punch and block buttons, but I have a feeling even that will be too much for me.

Fun game, but online can be very laggy. Also it's kinda weird that some moves do not connect, especially when the enemy is on the ground. (sometimes the sweep magically goes through them lol)

But my favorite is the 'might maaaakes riiiiiiiiight'

It's not like Tekken where most things that look like they hit ground do. There are universal moves that do hit a grounded opponent, but they aren't too safe.

Daigoro

i just played against some monsters online including a good Wolf, 2 high level Aois who kicked my ass hard and a Shun who ate me alive.

i feel like im learning though! feels good.

Oh hey, I think I just met Daigoro's Shun with my Pai.

I get so nervous when playing online that I forget every move I have. I even tried to limit myself to only using a handful of moves, but not even that I can even remember. Maybe I should limit myself to just the punch and block buttons, but I have a feeling even that will be too much for me.

oh cool. i played a few Pai's earlier, what's your gt again? gg.

--------

oh shit. i just realized SpamAge is from gaf by looking at the tags in the OP. i played him like at least 3 times yesterday. who are you? i see you uploaded a replay where you whooped me. :p

Daigoro

My tag is tumvante. I was the white Pai who figured it was a good idea to give you plenty of time and space to drink.

ah yes. do not do that. especially as Pai.

also keep playing. the more you play, the less nervous you get. we all are gonna have losses. lots of em.

galvatron

Just did my first 10 ranked matches and only won one. I feel like ultrachen was a complete was of time as nothing they mentioned seems to work as well as just rushing forward. All this thinking before attacking is getting me mauled. Maybe it's just taking their advice on running jean that's messing with me. I used to do ok with wolf...

Also getting promoted while losing is just depressing

pmj

ah yes. do not do that. especially as Pai.

also keep playing. the more you play, the less nervous you get. we all are gonna have losses. lots of em.

I get nervous whether I win or not. It's a problem I have that I'm trying to work on.

6th online game and I get my first win. I'm so happy. Sure, that guy with 350 matches under his belt probably took pity on me when he saw how new I was to the game, but still!

Trojan X

Banned
Yes, the wet look is gone. No rain.

It never piled up. It just part way when you walked. It was nice but this is also an interesting change, especially with the better music and cage raising up and down.

Yes. The dirty water in Eileen Stage. It didn't look right as the splashing wasn't realistic and the characters didn't get dirty nor wet enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5B6_d1CelA

Hmm.... Here is VF5 Final Show down Wolf stage (great fight too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9nbmeRJnsU
Here is VF5 Wolf Stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1XrsRS0DQ
Here is the special stage from VF4 Evo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2aznwrYU2s

It's not hard to compare. Here is VF5's Arena: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkFDzxkfGnY
VF5 Final Showdown's Arena: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WidcNT9thiI
VF5's Island: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oChZPriHdk
VF5 Final Showdown Island: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUpd4s_M84

Personally. I believe SEGA should have allowed (here's hoping they will) us to have the option to toggle between VF5R and VF5 stages along with their original music and everything. "Almost" like the arcade.

That's VF4 series. Also that little cosmetic doesn't matter for Lei Fei's stage on VF5FS is much better now. It's beautiful yet hard-hitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAiZVAvpHA

To be honest. I feel you probably based most of your thoughts on vague memories though I do kinda agree with most of what you said.

Top Bottom