• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

sonicmj1

Played some more matches using Goh. He's interesting.

Facing some stronger opposition, I find I have a lot of adapting to do. In the fighting games I'm used to (like Street Fighter), my strategy is often to keep blocking and wait for an opening. But with the way things work in this game, openings don't appear if I just block and wait. I have to do something to make them happen.

It's tough to adapt. I still have a really hard time understanding why my attacks beat others when they do, and why they sometimes get beat out when I expect them to land. I got very frustrated for a while, but I eventually started doing a little better, so that's nice.

If I keep exploring, I should start to get better, but I'm also going to need to find a way to get feedback too. Everything's just a little too alien for me to completely understand on my own.

Koralsky

Amazing game - pity I didn't have the time to master it. I put more than 200 hours on Saturn's VF2, but in 1996 I was sixteen and the time was with me :)

But I will play as much as I can on PS3 - Ivaylo_7

btw. options to listen all of the previous VF's ost is veeeery, very welcome. Thanks, SEGA.

MightyKAC

Sometimes I feel bad about playing Brad the way I do.

But then I run into like 5 Jacky's in a row and then that feeling just disappears....

Deps

Think I finally found my character with Sarah. Her pokes and flamingo stance are too good. Now just need to figure out some bnbs.

Bizazedo

So why is everyone and their grandma playing Jacky again?
He's awesome?

And he taunts automatically after certain moves. I rarely taunt in fighting games, so it's nice to taunt as a function of my character for a change.

Kicking someone in the gut and having them hold my leg and flip kicking them and then doing a littly shimmy while yelling at an opponent is fantastic.

It's been years since I touched VF4E, so I'd have to check to verify at this point, but I still don't think any fighter has come close to topping that one's training resources.

yeah well as other games as a series still struggle to implement basic features like a quick practice character position reset or CPU programmings, VF is miles ahead.

I also love how much smart choices theyve made gameplaywise, i mean, you can check and change the button layout in almost any screen! so convenient for tournaments and playing with friends. Mainstay games like Tekken still force you to go all the way back to the main menu to change it or pause it mid-fight. Sogood!

Bizazedo

yeah well as other games as a series still struggle to implement basic features like a quick practice character position reset or CPU programmings, VF is miles ahead.

I also love how much smart choices theyve made gameplaywise, i mean, you can check and change the button layout in almost any screen! so convenient for tournaments and playing with friends. Mainstay games like Tekken still force you to go all the way back to the main menu to change it or pause it mid-fight. Sogood!

35/40 seconds before each match in a Lobby is way too long, though.

As an aside, Clan Wolf, woot.

Alx

The game is amazing as always, but the audio compression sucks horrendously. It's not even 5.1?

I would really like to be able to change the voice of the announcer, or disable it altogether. Is that static noise effect done of purpose ? It's irritating...

Archon473

Evasion 2

You need to tap down-forward down-forward, then Guard. Make sure not to hit df, df+G. The idea is that you're crouch dashing to duck under a 10-frame throw, then cancel the crouch dash with standing guard to block a 14-frame mid attack.

Does anyone have a horizontal evasion command? I loved using Taki's roll in SC2 as a way of opening people up, but Eileen's evades are almost all 2D.

Aoi. Check her out if you like Taki
LESSER TALIM, haha

In the fighting games I'm used to (like Street Fighter), my strategy is often to keep blocking and wait for an opening. But with the way things work in this game, openings don't appear if I just block and wait. I have to do something to make them happen.

I still have a really hard time understanding why my attacks beat others when they do, and why they sometimes get beat out when I expect them to land.

Watch the gargantuan 4-hour episode of UltraChenTV. LA Akira guest stars and does an exemplary job of explaining the flow of combat. The First Attack show is only the basics, but the Level 3 Focus show goes into combat flow and explains when to low poke or attack with a mid, what to do if you land a counter hit or if those options are blocked, and defensive movements like fuzzy guarding and evading. Everyone knew to VF should watch this show because unlike the tutorial which explains what to do and how to do everything, LA Akira breaks down when and why to do each thing.

A lot has to do with frame data, what moves are available to you after you block a certain attack from your opponent or he blocks yours, but this knowledge will accumulate over time. You'll naturally recognize, "I blocked a mid kick, these are my options. My low poke was blocked, these are my options." You can think about how your opponent might want to punish you and act accordingly.

elcapitan

Just downloaded this as part of PS+. Went through the tutorial mode with Jacky and played three online matches. My first time playing, so I didn't expect much, so I lost the first two. My second match I was completely owned. In the third, met another guy who jumped into the game like me and demolished him.

Seems pretty cool. Kinda surprising how much depth there is considering there's only three buttons to use. The game seems to rely a lot on character knowledge. It's probably something I'll jump online and get owned a lot before I start improving. I'll probably play online casually and focus on the fundamentals like movement and reading enemy attacks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would really like to be able to change the voice of the announcer, or disable it altogether. Is that static noise effect done of purpose ? It's irritating...

Given that the character voice samples are clean, I think the announcer is retro-compressed on purpose, to sound 'arcadey'.

thundr51

Get ready to face with Jacky all the time..... :(
70% of your opponents will be Jacky! lol

played 50 matches havent seen anyone using Wolf or Jeffrey yet.

I use Jeff but with all of those Jackys around its a going to be hell. Plus anybody that used Jeff previously has got to relearn a lot of his stuff. (no more surprise splash mountain :( . Jeff can still put the hurt on...whenever he gets a lucky break or somebody messes up.

Bizazedo

I use Jeff but with all of those Jackys around its a going to be hell. Plus anybody that used Jeff previously has got to relearn a lot of his stuff. (no more surprise splash mountain :( . Jeff can still put the hurt on...whenever he gets a lucky break or somebody messes up.

Fought a Jeffrey last night who used an improved version of an old combo beginning with his jumping knee. Took like 60, 65% of my life.

He still hurts.

Also, I haven't really seen that many Jacky's and the ones I have seen haven't been good (barring two of them, but they're old timers I remember from back in the day).

Any rooms / lobbies / how many are going to be on 360 this weekend?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I played some ranking today. I generally don't like ranking because people tend to take it too seriously(alright maybe just me), but I figured I should get in the dans and get the achievement while people are playing. At 9th Kyu I faced off against a 5th dan and slaughtered him. He sent me a voice message full of profanity. Pretty amusing.

soakrates

This is one of the only games I've played where I find ranked games enjoyable. Being subject to challenges once you start looking for matches seems to ward off a lot of the assholes who look for lesser players so they can boost their rank.

BadWolf

Been watching some match vids and now really feel like putting more time into Eileen and Jean instead of continuing to try new characters.

I played some ranking today. I generally don't like ranking because people tend to take it too seriously(alright maybe just me), but I figured I should get in the dans and get the achievement while people are playing. At 9th Kyu I faced off against a 5th dan and slaughtered him. He sent me a voice message full of profanity. Pretty amusing.

Ranks don't mean much, I'm a 3rd or 4th dan but am almost a complete noob, my previous experience with the series is almost non-existent. You get points win or lose so you can't not rank up.

Hilbert

Ranks don't mean much, I'm a 3rd or 4th dan but am almost a complete noob, my previous experience with the series is almost non-existent. You get points win or lose so you can't not rank up.

Don't you start losing points when you make it to dans? I think it was that way in the last virtua fighter.

BadWolf

Don't you start losing points when you make it to dans? I think it was that way in the last virtua fighter.

Oh, didn't know that.

Only played ranked the first day or so because I couldn't find player matches.

Well.

Not points, but the bar on the bottom goes up or down and controls your rank promotions.

If you lose, that goes down.

Yeah, this is what I remember. I only saw +4 points for winning and +2 for losing.

I've yet to play online because while I was using the last few days to get reacclimated to Wolf... I think I'm switching to Shun. If anyone wants to get beat up later, drop me an invite on 360.

riskVSreward, you can go ahead and add me to the 360 master gaf list please.

Sometimes I feel bad about playing Brad the way I do.

But then I run into like 5 Jacky's in a row and then that feeling just disappears....

Really? Does everyone else run into a bunch of Jacky players, too? I've been playing since the game was put up on PSN, and I haven't run into a single Jacky player; I suppose it's because I haven't tried out Ranked Matches yet.

How bad is the Jacky usage? Is it every other match or something?

Hilbert

Well.

Not points, but the bar on the bottom goes up or down and controls your rank promotions.

If you lose, that goes down.

Ah, that is what I remember. You can lose ranks is the main thing I was trying to remember. Things are out of whack at first, but in a few months the ranks stabalize. I hovered around 8th dan back in the first VF5.

Hinomura

No luck with playing (eu/it).. a lot of wait, found a room, a few matches, the host disconnects an recreates another room... if I follow him, he disconnets again... looking for another room, another long wait pressing square here and there to update... do-loop :/

Well, I'll try later, after dinner.

Edit: and I found just two "same area" rooms in three days... :/

soakrates

I think a lot of people are favoring ranked matches and regular player matches right now, because waiting for the timer to count down between matches makes lobbies kind of a hassle. Hopefully Sega will update the game and allow people to skip the timer or at least make make the countdown shorter.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I may get a PSN Card today. Crossing fingers!!

Oh Fersis, the day you plan ahead and have things set for the Almighty Godchrist of Fighting Games, I'll eat my hat :)

Top Bottom