• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

DRE Fei

I was playing with someone the other day who only owns one of the single character DLC packs and he couldn't see my customs with the other characters =( it sucks....it should act as a compatibility pack too if it's gonna be that big!

Yeah, I just found this out too. Makes no sense that it's not a compatibility pack.

Souther

Banned
Fersis, I want to play you. I wanna see who has the superior Goh. Add me. Cyclonus on PSN.
I won't be on for a few days though as I had to buy a new PS3...YLOD. Oh well it lasted 6yrs.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
This is the first time I have ever gotten to play a VF with people thanks to the online being pretty good. I play Goh and do ok for the most part, still struggling on what to do with some of the spammy nonsense. Sometimes I can just parry/throw, or I try to sidestep around. Still fun though.

the crouching shoulder push (hold down; df+P+K I think) has been good to me for such things. and I've had some success jumping in with P when I know a low attack is coming.

Well I'm 0-10 in ranked but at least I got an achievement out of it haha.

Coming from a 2D fighting game background, I've never really been able to figure out 3D fighters. I almost never feel safe in VF. I press a button and hope whatever button the other guy pressed doesn't beat it. I really need to break out of my 2D game shell, my mind understands and feels at home in a game like Street Fighter, but VF is always scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5UcZ45X2qM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

fernoca

Well, "Brad pack" finished downloading and...

:O! Type S-costume?!

Bless the Sega-lords!! <3!

NSFW?
(also added a tan, chest-hair, changed his hair, and a stubble)

Was surprised that they gave something like this to Brad, or at least don't remember a similar option in "vanilla VF5" (other than having him shirtless). Looks quite... detailed while animated/during fights.
Well worth the extra $5!
:p

Arde5643

NSFW?

Was surprised that they gave something like this to Brad, or at least don't remember a similar option in "vanilla VF5" (other than having him shirtless). Looks quite... detailed while animated/during fights.
Well worth the extra $5!

They gotta give fanservice for the gay and gal community of VF. :p

Alx

I think I must work on my evades. I never was so great with them in the previous VF, but at least I didn't have too much trouble pulling them off. Last night I got murdered by a few opponents spamming fast punches, I knew that a simple dodge could punish them but I failed most of them. :(

Two small questions about Eileen :
- since VF5 I've been using her "b +PKG" move, that makes her step back and can cancel an opponent move, but I never know what to do if it ever happens since he's usually too far away for a fast counter-attack. So it just looks cool (that's why I've been using it), but it's rather pointless for me. Any advice ?
- IIRC she had a nice kick attack, "b,f+K", that had canceling properties (sabaki ?) too. That move is gone now, is there a similar one in her new move list ?

fernoca

They gotta give fanservice for the gay and gal community of VF. :p

Thanks Sega! :)

Overall , the achievements are so..simple. While in some way I don't mind in others it doesn't make sense why made them so simple. Is like they put them because is mandatory or something. They only missed giving one for pressing start. :p

I mean, 60-points (360) for fighting Dural on Arcade? 40-for doing one perfect round.
But no biggie, then again if they made them more difficult I'll be whining about that. But if anything...would've liked..more "easy achievements" (like 3-5 perfect matches -not rounds-) than the few and simple ones they put.

Alx

Overall , the achievements are so..simple. While in some way I don't mind in others it doesn't make sense why made them so simple. Is like they put them because is mandatory or something. They only missed giving one for pressing start. :p

Yeah it shouldn't have been too hard to make a few slightly more challenging ones. It could have given more reasons to play the single player modes. Things like beat Dural, win a match with only ring-outs or perfects, complete a command training... Those would still have been easy achievements, but you would have to deliberately go for them.

Shearie

Can someone help me out with frame advantages? I was messing around in the free command dojo earlier and was wondering, when an opponent is blocking a barrage of crouching punches which are 12 frames each with -5 advantage when blocked, does that mean the opponent can do any mid or low move with a 16 frame execution or lower and get a guaranteed hit?

Edit: Tested my scenario out with a recorded command and yes, any 16 frame mid or low is a guaranteed hit as long as you do it right after you block the crouching punch.

NSFW?

Well worth the extra $5!
All of my male characters are HUGE sluts right now. (Except for Jacky, because his swimsuit sucks.)

T.O.P

Banned

NSFW?

Well worth the extra $5!

i have the feeling that i'll be buying this game in a few hours

Yeah it shouldn't have been too hard to make a few slightly more challenging ones. It could have given more reasons to play the single player modes. Things like beat Dural, win a match with only ring-outs or perfects, complete a command training... Those would still have been easy achievements, but you would have to deliberately go for them.

Why do you need a useless incentive to do those things? Even though you get a pop up, it's the same thing as writing it down on a piece of paper.

You'd think that people would want to play the single-player modes because they wanted to and not because an achievement told them. But here we are, in this generation.

Why do you need a useless incentive to do those things? Even though you get a pop up, it's the same thing as writing it down on a piece of paper.

You'd think that people would want to play the single-player modes because they wanted to and not because an achievement told them. But here we are, in this generation.

Achievements and on disc DLC are the worst things created this gen.

Achievements and on disc DLC are the worst things created this gen.

For me, they are the worst things this gen because of all that lost potential. Achievements should have been used for something, and DLC shouldn't be about selling cut content.

Anyway, lol at people complaining about the achievements in one of the most technical fighters ever created. Fluff isn't what VF is about.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Got all the way up to Barbarian rank today but got demoted quickly due to shitty play on my part. :( Love this game because I totally knew I blew all of the games I lost tonight, and it wasn't due to bad character match ups.

For me, they are the worst things this gen because of all that lost potential. Achievements should have been used for something, and DLC shouldn't be about selling cut content.

Anyway, lol at people complaining about the achievements in one of the most technical fighters ever created. Fluff isn't what VF is about.

you can use trophies/achievements to point players into the right direction. make them learn new techniques, explore the game further etc.

i think sega dropped the ball with this short trophy list and the sound compression. happy with the game overall, but these are my biggest complaints thus far.

namDa65

2nd Dan so far.

I basically resort to button mashing if I know i'm going to lose and sometimes it secures me a victory XD.

Pai Chan!

Grokbu

Started playing VF for my first time, like four days ago now that FS is out (well, outside of mashing in some demos that I tried before getting into fighting games). I love this game. Playing Eileen and she feels freaking amazing, she's like the perfect fit for me. Yesterday, I started to get a bit of a hang on sidestepping, and being able to sidestep and punish with a high damage combo feels so rewarding.

- since VF5 I've been using her "b +PKG" move, that makes her step back and can cancel an opponent move, but I never know what to do if it ever happens since he's usually too far away for a fast counter-attack. So it just looks cool (that's why I've been using it), but it's rather pointless for me. Any advice ?
I've been thinking about that a bit. What frame advantage you are after it seems to depend on when during 4P+K+G you connect it (I think?), so if you get enough of an advantage I believe that you should be able to do 9K into some nasty stuff. But I think that no matter what frame advantage you get, you always get enough to do 5P, and if you're far away, 6[hold]P. But yeah, I'm really new to the game, so I want to throw that out there again, as I might be spreading misinformation.

EDIT: Oh sorry, about the distance thing. Yeah they can get quite far away. If you get enough of a frame advantage, you can get them with something like 46P, which can lead into a combo.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Aren't they limited because this is an Arcade game?

Presumably, it's because of the file size limit and Microsoft's policy of not letting a company put out a superior version of a game on the PS3, basically.

Which is why VF5 seriously needs a PC version that isn't saddled with MS' bullshit. Oh well. Enjoying the game (on PS3) regardless.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Got all the way up to Barbarian rank today but got demoted quickly due to shitty play on my part. :( Love this game because I totally knew I blew all of the games I lost tonight, and it wasn't due to bad character match ups.

Shit, I didn't know you could drop rank?

I just got up to Hunter Rank today. Was pretty pleased with myself considering I'm pretty average at VF.

Shearie

2nd Dan so far.

I basically resort to button mashing if I know i'm going to lose and sometimes it secures me a victory XD.

Pai Chan!

I played about 20 or so ranked matches today and lost to only 2 good players. Seems like almost everybody I play in ranked is a button masher and it's so easy to punish these guys and I'm not even all that good.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
you can use trophies/achievements to point players into the right direction. make them learn new techniques, explore the game further etc.

i think sega dropped the ball with this short trophy list and the sound compression. happy with the game overall, but these are my biggest complaints thus far.

Actually, I think their strategy is sound this time. The game isn't that popular overseas, and an effective way to get casual players to buy the game is to put in easy achievements.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
might be a microsoft thing, but PSN has plenty of "DL only" games with platinum trophies.

Only if they're $20 or above. $15 and under games don't get platinum.

And frankly: HarrisonFordWhoGivesAShit.gif about the achievements. At least they aren't fucking stupid "win 10 rounds in a row!" or trial bullshit like Capcom and other 2D fighters lists are.

Dreamer RD

YGoRw.jpg

In action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJlHhuDA5w

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If they ever put out more DLC to break size limits, I hope they put in a high quality sound pack. I can kinda live with the graphics as they are, but some of the sound recordings are pretty bad.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Fersis, I want to play you. I wanna see who has the superior Goh. Add me. Cyclonus on PSN.
I won't be on for a few days though as I had to buy a new PS3...YLOD. Oh well it lasted 6yrs.
lolz this is my first VF ever so its going to be pretty fray! (I havent even completed the tutorial yet)
Where you from buddy?

Or you could use the in-game tutorial to do that, which mostly does. Without context, it doesn't help the gamer that much.

"Hit them with a 20 hit combo!" doesn't matter much when you don't explain how to do it. You are just telling them to preform something. Trophies really aren't there to guide and help a player to grow.

I went back to trying to learn Akira last night because I didn't quite like Jacky and I'm actually starting to get the hang of some of his moves. In fact, I played until almost 4AM and finally went to bed when I noticed myself fall asleep on top of my arcade stick, haha. I'm really glad though because there's something very satisfying when Akira's moves hit that Jacky just doesn't have.

Regarding Akira, what's a good follow-up to 46P? I'm loving that 6G+P+K guard breaks and leaves me at +15 which means I can get a guaranteed 46P in there but I can't figure out any good follow-ups for when I get that. I'm doing 66KK but I'm sure that's not the best I could get off of that. Excuse the newb-ness.

Edit: Input typo.

I went back to trying to learn Akira last night because I didn't quite like Jacky and I'm actually starting to get the hang of some of his moves. In fact, I played until almost 4AM and finally went to bed when I noticed myself fall asleep on top of my arcade stick, haha. I'm really glad though because there's something very satisfying when Akira's moves hit that Jacky just doesn't have.

Regarding Akira, what's a good follow-up to 46P? I'm loving that 6G+P+K guard breaks and leaves me at +15 which means I can get a guaranteed 46P in there but I can't figure out any good follow-ups for when I get that. I'm doing 6KK but I'm sure that's not the best I could get off of that. Excuse the newb-ness.

That's the really fast palm strike right? Try 66KK, his upkicks.

DR2K

Banned

Yup it's all about getting into the opponents head and just knowing which of your tools can best his.

http://i.imgur.com/YGoRw.jpg[/IG]

In action [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJlHhuDA5w[/url][/QUOTE]

It seems like KPPPK is one of your favorite strings, which is good and I use it a lot too. But you can do a lot of damage if you follow it up with something like 9K, 1P+K, 3K. You'll get about 80 damage every time you land it, and it'll save you a lot of work.

Zezboob

Why people is complaining about sound compression ? Because of the announcer ?

I believe it's on purpose, at least it sounds the same as the videos of the arcade version.

Plus the voices of the characters have no distortion at all.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I'm having a hard time trying to punish people mashing P with throws. I'm playing as Goh and it seems like a silly thing to not be able to throw people properly if I'm going to continue with him.

;_;

Goddamn all these Jackys are annoying.

yeah, Virtua Ken sux. >:|

Lion is my main now, didn't really look at him for VF5. I love how he plays. So safe! Backstreet is back!

The good Lions I've played are relentless. He's got huge combos and I get nailed as I get up and they start a combo chain again. And his up+p attack on downed opponents is fast.

Top Bottom