• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Actually, I think their strategy is sound this time. The game isn't that popular overseas, and an effective way to get casual players to buy the game is to put in easy achievements.
Easy achievements seem to be a trend with Sega's digital downloads. Look at After Burner Climax, Virtual-On, and Daytona USA. They were all easy.

They were also done by the same devteam, IIRC. Maybe it's that team's specialty...

Grifter

Can anyone recommend a combo off Akira's 33P?

Played online a bit and sometimes when I get hit while attempting to block, I'm not sure if I was slow if lag affected things.

Regarding Akira, what's a good follow-up to 46P? I'm loving that 6G+P+K guard breaks and leaves me at +15 which means I can get a guaranteed 46P in there but I can't figure out any good follow-ups for when I get that. I'm doing 66KK but I'm sure that's not the best I could get off of that. Excuse the newb-ness.

Edit: Input typo.

Haven't looked up optimized stuff but I do 46P, P, 3K+G, P, 466P+K

GrayFoxPL

So apparently Jean's VA is also Rufus' (SF4) VA.
Time to turn him into a Skinny Rufus ^_^.

Source please? I'm looking for Jean's voice actor myself and can't find anything. This also says nothing about VF.

Had some very fun matches today with Gaffers mostly with Dreamer's RD Jacky. So fun. We exchanged way more msgs then fights though lol. But it's that cool interaction that makes online play worth it.
If you switch to Lion you gotta fight me man, please. I need experience vs that squatting dude. Can't hit him for life. Why he's got super evasive low mid movement? :(

Today's online was sponsored by Akira and Eileen.

Met godly AOI. Parry me mid string and I was like "welp!". Destroyed me in style. Very nice person though, nick was Jade-Kimi (I think...).

Challenge him/her and see how it goes, hehe.

I got an interesting msg from someone, he had to try hard as this game doesn't show on "players met" list.

"You brush your teeth with dicks."

I must admit, made me laugh. Gotta applause the originality.

Regarding Akira, what's a good follow-up to 46P? I'm loving that 6G+P+K guard breaks and leaves me at +15 which means I can get a guaranteed 46P in there but I can't figure out any good follow-ups for when I get that. I'm doing 66KK but I'm sure that's not the best I could get off of that. Excuse the newb-ness.

Edit: Input typo.

After 46P:
2K+G~P, 2P, 46P.

From 2P to 46P, it will change to double palm move Byakko Something since you went from crouch. Doesn't work on everyone so change it to K+G~P.

Can anyone recommend a combo off Akira's 33P?

Haven't looked up optimized stuff but I do 46P, P, 3K+G, P, 466P+K

After 33P:

P, 43P, 3K+G, P, 466P+K

using 3K+G, P, 466P+K after a 46P is definitely not optimal at all. The opponent is too close to the ground, you will be left at a disadvantage since the opponent can quick roll before the shoulder hits.

Doomshine

I'm having a hard time trying to punish people mashing P with throws. I'm playing as Goh and it seems like a silly thing to not be able to throw people properly if I'm going to continue with him.

Well attacks beat throw so what I do is either 2p or if they are really predictable I do the parry. Once I have the advantage I go for his CH 6k combo, they don't like that :I

I guess you could evade, but I suck at that so far :/

vixlar

I was not a big fan of Virtua fighter... but wow!!!

This game has something, I don't know what, that is engaging.

It is really fun and plays very nice.

I will buy it when I have money, hehehe.

After putting in some time with El Blaze, I'm really enjoying the character. As a big fan of lucha libre, I love how many lucha style moves and throws he has and how well they animate. I can't think of any better luchadores in fighting games based on moveset and feel. I am a bit disappointed he doesn't just have plain tights in a variety of colors for his costume customization, makes it hard to recreate a lot of wrestlers haha.

GrayFoxPL

don't feel too bad; I was gonna say the exact same thing

game is anti-grappler

Yup, feels so weird with strikes owning any throw attempts. I learned buffering throws with quck jab but it doesn't work every time, people way too jab happy.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
if I manage to keep my cool, subaki owns p spammers all day.

I don't manage to keep my cool very often though.

GrayFoxPL

if I manage to keep my cool, subaki owns p spammers all day.

I don't manage to keep my cool very often though.

Keeping cool that's a problem. Heart races like crazy, eyes pop from skull, sweating like a pedo in a toy shop - who's so cold blooded that can keep it cool? After Aoi match I knew I should beat her parries with throw or lows but in fight? "Oh GodGodGodgGod whatdyado whatdyado??!!"

Tizoc

Source please? I'm looking for Jean's voice actor myself and can't find anything. This also says nothing about VF.

Not to be rude, snarky or offensive but I managed to find it via Google...which redirected me to Wikipedia-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtua_Fighter_characters
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_(Street_Fighter)

Endo Punk

Trying to remember everything to muscle memory now. Haven't played proper VF since the 4th one about 8 years ago. Soon my Lion and Jacky will be ready for online play.

Grifter

using 3K+G, P, 466P+K after a 46P is definitely not optimal at all. The opponent is too close to the ground, you will be left at a disadvantage since the opponent can quick roll before the shoulder hits.

I've tested and the last hit stays white in training. At least on middleweights and lower.

Actually, I think their strategy is sound this time. The game isn't that popular overseas, and an effective way to get casual players to buy the game is to put in easy achievements.

i will never endorse that kind of mentality. it's as bad as poor game balance.

Or you could use the in-game tutorial to do that, which mostly does. Without context, it doesn't help the gamer that much.

"Hit them with a 20 hit combo!" doesn't matter much when you don't explain how to do it. You are just telling them to preform something. Trophies really aren't there to guide and help a player to grow.

you could also link achievements to tutorial modes completion. make them learn the game. free trophies/achievements are a waste.

Only if they're $20 or above. $15 and under games don't get platinum.

And frankly: HarrisonFordWhoGivesAShit.gif about the achievements. At least they aren't fucking stupid "win 10 rounds in a row!" or trial bullshit like Capcom and other 2D fighters lists are.

Wizardry launched at $15. i do give a shit about quality, no matter which segment.

don't feel too bad; I was gonna say the exact same thing

game is anti-grappler
You can't just go in with grabs without setting them up with other offense first. Then people only get a 33% chance of breaking a throw they can't read from the animation. Plus Hollywood Wolf Hogan can land a 40% damage throw from a crouch dash under highs and I'd say VF is pretty throw friendly.

Deps

Grabs are really good, just need to be set up. If they're poking your grabs out launch them and use strikes more. Also Taka is S tier and a big reason for that is his insane throws.

Almost 20 matches in and I'm getting absolutely bodied in ranked. Only 1 win so far :/

Anybody got tips playing with Wolf?

Be careful.

Don't use moves that leave you open, or at a massive frame disadvantage. See how they respond to the BB+GP grab where you dash in. Some players will know how to stuff it, others will get scooped.

Use evade and poke wisely. Only retaliate after a blocked chain with a safe fast combo.

Mix up overhead and low attacks to keep opponents on their toes.

It's too easy as a Wolf player to just get punished by the faster player characters in the game so you need to be extremely cautious. Use block generously. :p

Spend time in training mode to find out which moves give you a frame advantage and play it safe. That's pretty much all I've got for now.

Good luck.

Don't play with Wolf.

Sorry

And miss this?

Myw3h.jpg

No way!

I just got this game, thanks to PS+ for the great price, and am really enjoying it. I previously played VF but never really put any to time into it but this one just seems to have sunk it teeth into me and won't let go!

I'm a novice but would live to play with you guys. Ninja_Masta_Xen is my ID.

Btw, any tips for an aspiring Lei-Fei and Jean player? I seem to be having a bit of trouble with Jean in matchups against Pai, Eileen and Sarah. I get decimated on the inside. It could be I am choosing the wrong normals against their offense. Lei-Fei on the other hand is a bit complicated. Managing which moves lead to stances in addition to choosing effective combinations is challenging with all the variety at your disposal.

I appreciate any help. Thank you and I look forward to seeing you in the ring!

I play Aoi and I love it every time Akira comes up. Usually I then get a skilled opponent who challenges me to use everything I have, and it's such a rush to fight a character who can kill me in three combos if the opponent is just that damn good.

Then you get the random semi-noobs who have found one high priority move that they keep spamming, and if you don't find out how to deal with it in those three rounds, you're done. I don't mind losing to someone skilled but it's annoying when it's someone who clearly just read up on the best moves through Youtube.

"i will never endorse that kind of mentality. it's as bad as poor game balance. "

Not really, because achievements have fuck all to do with anything.

Shouta

Finally put some time in and Lau is just like riding a bike. Same voice clips from VF4 too, his scream is in my head. He'll be my go to until I get comfortable with more characters.

Played a bit of El Blaze too and I dig his throws but it'll take a bit to get his other moves down and get used to his running. I also want to put some time into Taka and Shun Di as well. I remember playing MAF's Shun Di when VF4 was pretty new. That was hella fun and crazy to watch.

Grokbu

Wait a bit... Just what is going on? I'm playing Eileen and all of a sudden I can't do attacks from jumps or from her 9P+K+G. Is this some sort of known glitch? I haven't encountered this before. I even closed down the lobby and jumped into training, and the problem is still there.

Oh well, I restarted my PS3 and it's gone now. But what could've trigger this?

Xevren

Think the side tourney ended awhile ago, with Gamerbee winning with Akira. Just casuals for the rest of the day I think.

SickBoy

Wait a bit... Just what is going on? I'm playing Eileen and all of a sudden I can't do attacks from jumps or from her 9P+K+G. Is this some sort of known glitch? I haven't encountered this before. I even closed down the lobby and jumped into training, and the problem is still there.

Oh well, I restarted my PS3 and it's gone now. But what could've trigger this?

If you're using a gamepad, I wonder if one of your shoulder inputs glitched. I have lost a handful of rounds and possibly a couple of matches by inadvertently leaning on a shoulder button, screwing up my other inputs (I only use face buttons while playing, and I hold the controller oddly). Not sure how it would just jam on, but you never know.

Brobzoid

Sonicfox, who fought gamerbee in the grandfinals, played a mean eileen earlier. had me pretty stoked.

Grokbu

If you're using a gamepad, I wonder if one of your shoulder inputs glitched. I have lost a handful of rounds and possibly a couple of matches by inadvertently leaning on a shoulder button, screwing up my other inputs (I only use face buttons while playing, and I hold the controller oddly). Not sure how it would just jam on, but you never know.
Hm, that's not it actually. I'm using a stick. What's weird is that every other input was working, but it was just those attacks that didn't.

What is it with fighting games and all the haters?

I just made the biggest mistake you can do in VF5 apparently. Being a total noob and winning a match against an high ranked player. Holycrap!

This is only the second game where I got angry msgs, the first one was Tekken, go figure.

What is it with fighting games and all the haters?

I just made the biggest mistake you can do in VF5 apparently. Being a total noob and winning a match against an high ranked player. Holycrap!

This is only the second game where I got angry msgs, the first one was Tekken, go figure.

ha ha, I got one too. Lau (me) vs Jacky. I won pretty easy by evading and controlling the distance.

He messaged "Har Har spam punch and kick durp" I replied " It's a fighting game should I have spammed hug instead? He then called me the n word.

Class

Brobzoid

I only get nice messages. :3

Even when I obviously fumble my way to beating players that are better than me. even in other fighting games I don't get much hate. everyone is so nice.

Top Bottom