• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

ha ha, I got one too. Lau (me) vs Jacky. I won pretty easy by evading and controlling the distance.

He messaged "Har Har spam punch and kick durp" I replied " It's a fighting game should I have spammed hug instead? He then called me the n word.

Class
Got called a spammer by a 6th-dan Shun for turning the game into a NJPW match with my terrible 2nd-kyu Wolf. Felt good about myself momentarily until I immediately ran into Plague and Kamais Ookin. They took my lunch money and pushed me down. :-(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah. Like I said: "So much for that VF community is truly nice bit." Since I've gotten a bunch of hate mail playing in player matches.

God, I hate the FGC.

Xevren

I only get nice messages. :3

Even when I obviously fumble my way to beating players that are better than me. even in other fighting games I don't get much hate. everyone is so nice.

I've only gotten nice messages and people wanting to play longer sets, a pair of them were pretty cool and they just wanted to play against Goh. I'm doing a lot better now, really digging the game. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of people online though, tend to run into the same people quite frequently.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I've only gotten nice messages and people wanting to play longer sets, a pair of them were pretty cool and they just wanted to play against Goh. I'm doing a lot better now, really digging the game. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of people online though, tend to run into the same people quite frequently.

yes, me too. I have yet to find anyone in player matches. Like, literally anyone.

Yeah. Like I said: "So much for that VF community is truly nice bit." Since I've gotten a bunch of hate mail playing in player matches.

God, I hate the FGC.

You let it bother you too much. That stuff is like a badge of honor.

Besides, the VF community probably is nicer than average, but you aren't really going up against just the VF community. It's probably a lot of the same douchebags that sent shit in Street Fighter and Marvel.

Doomshine

yes, me too. I have yet to find anyone in player matches. Like, literally anyone.

Same Area means your country right? It can't possibly mean region because I never find anyone with that option. Worldwide keeps matching me up with asian players though.

I haven't had good luck with players in general. I either get good players who smash me and leave or mashers who keep eating CH 6k and get angry and leave.

Brobzoid

yeah I think Same Area means same country, cus that's some useless ish. Doesn't Soul Calibur 5 have larger regions you can search within? Norway or The World is kinda wack.

GrayFoxPL

But the smiley face on all the time is brilliant. No one wants to play sad faces. That's what you get ragequiting tards.

Patch connection bars next to it and it'll be perfect.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
yeah I think Same Area means same country, cus that's some useless ish. Doesn't Soul Calibur 5 have larger regions you can search within? Norway or The World is kinda wack.

It does for the Global Colleseo mode, but all that happens is that nobody plays on their own servers and just chooses NY or LA. So you get challenged by someone from Europe or Brazil with a terrible connection.

Souther

Banned
lolz this is my first VF ever so its going to be pretty fray! (I havent even completed the tutorial yet)
Where you from buddy?

haha I think I remember you saying you play Goh..so i kinda want to play anybody that plays Goh so I can see how I match mine to theirs.

I'm on the east coast. Ontario, Canada.

Brobzoid

But the smiley face on all the time is brilliant. No one wants to play sad faces. That's what you get ragequiting tards.

Patch connection bars next to it and it'll be perfect.

yeah, although there should be SF4 emotes in lobbies as well. blinking thumbs up for life.

thelastword

Banned
Man so far, this game is really addicting, sometimes I'd beat some good players and sometimes get bodied by others. I really wish I knew how to sidestep or evade better though, it seems most times when i sidestep, the player still hits or juggle me.

Souther

Banned
You think hate mail is exclusive to fighting games?

It's not, but I am sure its in the higher percentage. People just seem to get so worked up over fighting games. It's not like this is EVO or something. There isn't 1000's of dollars on the line.

I guess some people are just real sore losers.

Man so far, this game is really addicting, sometimes I'd beat some good players and sometimes get bodied by others. I really wish I knew how to sidestep or evade better though, it seems most times when i sidestep, the player still hits or juggle me.

Some attacks are like '"slashes" instead of thrusting and will still connect with a evading opponent.

GhaleonQ

Do you all think that the community is just E3-distracted and that the novice/expert divide will be filled in soon? I hope so.

It's not, but I am sure its in the higher percentage. People just seem to get so worked up over fighting games. It's not like this is EVO or something. There isn't 1000's of dollars on the line.

I guess some people are just real sore losers.

It's the 1v1 aspect. Pride is on the line since you can't point to "bad teammates" as the reason you lost.

Souther

Banned
I really need to work on my throw escapes though....I'm always too late it seems.

Nice Goh combo i found...

DB+PK, UF+PK, DF+PP, FF+K then DF+PG. If it all connects it's about 8hits @ 108dmg.

I seem to be doing okay with Pai, despite mainly sticking with simple three hit punch/kick combos.

Got better at guarding and evading so that helps.

Guy floored me and then in a rematch I managed to win in 5 rounds, well timed duck and then p p k!

Souther

Banned
It's the 1v1 aspect. Pride is on the line since you can't point to "bad teammates" as the reason you lost.

Pride...I guess some people feel that way. But i don't feel like my pride has been tarnished if I lose to someone on PSN or Xbox Live...Now if I lost @ EVO or something then that would be different, but then I would probably blame myself not bitch at somebody else.

Edit:...Pai has a really high priority move..It's like a sideways chop. I don't know the button combination but I think it's one of the fastest moves in the game

fernoca

I haven't gotten any messages...of any kind. :p
Then again, I lose more than I win; so maybe that's why. :p

But the online works surprisingly well and fast, can find matches fast/easily.

I highly recommend going to Player Match every once in a while if you want to get better. I come across some legitimately good players whenever I do. It really helps you pinpoint weaknesses in your game.

Sloosha

I highly recommend going to Player Match every once in a while if you want to get better. I come across some legitimately good player whenever I do. It really helps you pinpoint weaknesses in your game.

I find player matches a lot more fun. Takes the pressure off of winning and allows for experimentation.

I seem to be doing okay with Pai, despite mainly sticking with simple three hit punch/kick combos.

Got better at guarding and evading so that helps.

Guy floored me and then in a rematch I managed to win in 5 rounds, well timed duck and then p p k!
I'm playing Pai too, but I'm getting hammered by aggressive players using guys like Jean/Jacky.
I can't quite get the timing right for a successful evade, and when I guard I eventually get beat down when I try to counter attack.
I managed to pull off Pai parry move a couple of times which was pretty satisfying though, but it's awfully risky.

Also had my first guy just walk off the stage tonight.
Are people that desperate for trophies that they rather through a fight than at least having a go?

I highly recommend going to Player Match every once in a while if you want to get better. I come across some legitimately good players whenever I do. It really helps you pinpoint weaknesses in your game.

Yea, I agree, I've played some very good players in player match. And even when I got destroyed they stuck around for a while and I got some good experience in.

MightyKAC

7Ic8i.jpg

Just finished my re-editing my "Devil Brad".

Wrapped in quotes cuz I'm a newb at photo editing.

I'm playing Pai too, but I'm getting hammered by aggressive players using guys like Jean/Jacky.
I can't quite get the timing right for a successful evade, and when I guard I eventually get beat down when I try to counter attack.
I managed to pull off Pai parry move a couple of times which was pretty satisfying though, but it's awfully risky.

Also had my first guy just walk off the stage tonight.
Are people that desperate for trophies that they rather through a fight than at least having a go?

I just had some trouble against Jacky players, ended up exploiting the player's tendancy to attack high, so I just knocked him down with a low kick then jumped on him.

Keeping distance too, but hammering punch when they approach and guarding when they counter.

something along the lines of killabuzz and some #'s...will look it up next time online.

I'm torn between Lau, Lei, and Bruce right now, not sure who I'm going to focus on. Leaning towards Lei

lol, for a second there I thought you were playing Tekken with Marshall Law, Lei Wu Long, and Bruce Irvin.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

God, I hate the FGC.
Thanks buddy and dont forget that youre part of it.

thelastword

Banned
Some attacks are like '"slashes" instead of thrusting and will still connect with a evading opponent.
Ahhhhh!...maybe I need to press the evade key faster, normally I double tap the up or down key. I guess I need to practice more online. One thing is certain about this game, you may practice nice combos in Dojo and pull off all these nice combos, however in ranked when guys just keep mashing P or K, it's a different ballgame all-together.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You think hate mail is exclusive to fighting games?

Considering I rarely get it in other game genres, yes.

Do good: Get "get fucked" mail.
Do bad: get "lol u suck" mail.

Either way you can't win for lose with the FGC.

AAK

I created a lobby, anyone interested in games?

EDIT: PSN

Got Darkaoz with his beastly Jean and Shinobifist's Elblaze on, wow it's such a rush against these guys!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Considering I rarely get it in other game genres, yes.

Do good: Get "get fucked" mail.
Do bad: get "lol u suck" mail.

Either way you can't win for lose with the FGC.
It's probably more due to the nature of having to communicate after a game rather than during an ongoing session. Get online where people are on a server for stretches of time and mic use is standard, and you hear quite a lot.

Many people who play videogames in general are assholes, but it might not also be fair to brand the VF community based on what newcomers are doing.

alstein

I find player matches a lot more fun. Takes the pressure off of winning and allows for experimentation.

It allows for evolving play. In a one match setup, it's more who finds the first thing your opponent doesn't adapt to.

Smaller FGC's do tend to be nicer- as they need players. Especially in a community like VF that is very detached from the other FGC's- many VF folks are mainly VF folks- a game like say , Arcana gets it players for larger communities.

That said, ranked mode brings out the worst in people.

Top Bottom