• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

I'm done for now. GGs.

I'll have to hit training mode later to practice against Wolf.

It is knowing when to use throws. You have to scare the opponent into not attacking. Mid beats low. Or if you are Wolf you get a fucking running grab lol

A running grab that will burn through the first few startup frames of your strikes, it seems. And then I put you into a 70/30 throw mixup.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously though, in other games, throws can be used to punish and that's often their primary use. See Zangief and his wonderful SPD. Throws in VF are used to press an advantage. If I jab with Wolf, and I get a counter hit, I have enough advantage that I can toss out a throw and they HAVE to attempt an escape because nothing they do will get them out of the way fast enough. Trick is to vary that pressure into throw and learn how to guess whether or not they'll try and strike back, freak out and guard, try and crouch, and try to vary up the three throw directions so I don't get predictable and have my throws broken.

DR2K

Banned
I don't want to an ass, but have you actually played this game before assuming all that?

But to answer your question, yes you can.

Just got all the trophies, and won 95% of my games online.

It is knowing when to use throws. You have to scare the opponent into not attacking. Mid beats low. Or if you are Wolf you get a fucking running grab lol

Yeah that's how I've been applying it. I just wish it had more versitility. It seems like if an opponent is dead set on attacking, I'll never get a throw in, unless it's a hit throw.

ggs. I'm so bad. ;_;

What does wolf's chest pump move do? is it just a taunt?

I think it is a reversal.

Yeah that's how I've been applying it. I just wish it had more versitility. It seems like if an opponent is dead set on attacking, I'll never get a throw in, unless it's a hit throw.
Just making sure...

However, you are mostly fighting scrubs who just mash. What do you expect out a game that isn't even a week old?

Gotta get more advantage! MORE ADVANTAGE! Also, if you keep stuffing them with a standard jab counter hit, your advantage will remain constant. They'll have to stop spamming eventually.

I think it is a reversal.

It's a really awful reversal that doubles as a sick taunt.

DR2K

Banned
Gotta get more advantage! MORE ADVANTAGE! Also, if you keep stuffing them with a standard jab counter hit, your advantage will remain constant. They'll have to stop spamming eventually.

They never stop spamming, lol. Which is why my wins have been fairly easy for the most part.

I need to learn my wall combos.

However, you are mostly fighting scrubs who just mash. What do you expect out a game that isn't even a week old?

What's weird to me is that I can apply throw pressure on higher level players, but get beat down by mashers who are only aware of the concept of block in the neighborhood sense.

More people do need to play this though, it's probably the most approachable 3D fighter for 2D fighting fans to get into.

GrayFoxPL

Low jab is really too good and lag exist so it's not easy when the spam safe 2-3 hit string and imminently go for low jab, even sidesteping this is hard as second low jab auto corrects.
If there's no place to backdash and lag eats your 3-4 frames of reaction it's just pain in the ass.

galvatron

They never stop spamming, lol.

This is 100% true...

I think of throwing in VF5FS like bluffing in poker: don't bother if you're playing people that are too dumb to think about backing off. Just get the advantage and know that they're going to call/attack.

I've had a few player matches with some opponents who know other options aside from attacking, but then I'm often the one getting thrown since my instinct is to block and look for an opening. Got blown up pretty badly against Vanessa's double-leg takedown since I don't know the direction to break that one...

Takuan

"Were items or costumes cut in the console version? I was just watching some Goh footage and saw a bunch of costumes I haven't seen before (yakuza suit, dictator uniform)."

Different items are available depending on what costume type you have selected.
I guess I haven't gone as in-depth as I could've. Will check it out tonight, maybe... might just opt to play instead, since I can waste hours in character customization.

Where you finding these? I could use some combo knowledge as well.
www.virtuafighter.com has character-specific forums. I found an old thread with a couple of combo vids from February to about May. The way good players move about the screen, it's as though they're using speedhacks or something... it's incredible.

d0c_zaius

Low jab is really too good and lag exist so it's not easy when the spam safe 2-3 hit string and imminently go for low jab, even sidesteping this is hard as second low jab auto corrects.
If there's no place to backdash and lag eats your 3-4 frames of reaction it's just pain in the ass.

eileen has a couple of things that beat low jabs easy, but VF is prob the most unfriendly game for lag I've played.

DR2K

Banned
eileen has a couple of things that beat low jabs easy, but VF is prob the most unfriendly game for lag I've played.

I'm going to have to give that to Tekken 6 pre patch(no way to react to throws) and SCIV(where all lows were a 100% guaranteed) online.

but VF is prob the most unfriendly game for lag I've played.
-Most lows on hit are negative for the attacker.
-You can guard and throw escape one throw at the same time.
-Fuzzy guard if you're not sure what to do.

Also another note about throwing. Don't forget you can get throws during your opponent's recovery frames so if you make them whiff you can snatch them right out of their recovery (as long as you aren't trying this during the string). I'll gladly take Jacky, Sarah, or whoever spamming linear moves for a Burning Driver from the back.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone is having trouble with the max input speed throws, but you can buffer them into a forward dash to get them. This even works on Emerald Flowsion variants. I'm able to land a lot of Kenka Kicks (1K+G) on spammers and get this hit throw off. If you land the kick on counter it's only 10 pts less than the Burning Hammer. It's a hit throw, but a *highly* damaging throw nonetheless.

"but VF is prob the most unfriendly game for lag I've played."

There's a pretty huge input buffer. There's also very few moves/combos with super strict input timings.

Shearie

Low jab spammers are easy to punish since a simple 6P after block will hit. I did that to someone yesterday and they learned to stop doing it over and over.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
What is the timing for Jean's multi hit attack that ends in a crushing knee? It's this:

back then towards (P+K) *opponent guarding* K,P,P,K,P *hit* K

I have trouble enough connecting the first K after (P+K) and have never gotten the brutal knee finish (the last K) to come out at all. He has another of these which is somewhat shorter and simpler but still I can't get that knee finish out.

"I have trouble enough connecting the first K after (P+K) and have never gotten the brutal knee finish (the last K) to come out at all. He has another of these which is somewhat shorter and simpler but still I can't get that knee finish out."

For the first one (back forward p+k), you want to press K right as/slightly after) the last punch connects.

For the second one (back, down-forward), I believe you can do the back forward k input as soon as possible. Either that or my speed for back-forward+k happens to be perfectly timed for it to trigger.

Once you get the timing they're not that difficult, the timing window seems fairly lenient.

d0c_zaius

"but VF is prob the most unfriendly game for lag I've played."

There's a pretty huge input buffer. There's also very few moves/combos with super strict input timings.

I was referring less towards execution and more towards pace and timing, which is pretty important when trying to interrupt mashers or people that just blindly resort to low punching randomly.

Out of all games I've played, getting even a little bit of lag in VF feels way more annoying and detrimental than other 3d fighters and fighting games in general (probably cause VF feels the most natural to me).

Eileen has I think only 2-3 moves that require really strict timing, but I won't try those online anyway.

Shearie

I was referring less towards execution and more towards pace and timing, which is pretty important when trying to interrupt mashers or people that just blindly resort to low punching randomly.

Out of all games I've played, getting even a little bit of lag in VF feels way more annoying and detrimental than other 3d fighters and fighting games in general.

I guess some people are not getting the perfect online experience that I'm getting but not once have I ever been in a laggy match. Not even when I'm playing someone with a low/no bar connection. It's actually really strange how perfect online matches have been for me in this game.

d0c_zaius

I guess some people are not getting the perfect online experience that I'm getting but not once have I ever been in a laggy match. Not even when I'm playing someone with a low/no bar connection. It's actually really strange how perfect online matches have been for me in this game.

are you on PSN or XBL?

Last night I played both for a long time, and noticed overall even though I was getting the same bars (connection quality), PSN games were generally less consistent with good connections. Even the same people would go from full bars (with a little lag) to 1 less bar while maintaining the same quality. I was even playing with someone local (like 10 miles away) and there were periods where we would be frozen for at least 1 second sometimes.

Playing on XBL I didnt have these issues. Or maybe its a nat type problem or issues with my ISP.

Xevren

Low jab spammers are easy to punish since a simple 6P after block will hit. I did that to someone yesterday and they learned to stop doing it over and over.

Interesting, I had no idea. As Goh I would either go for a low crush (kind of risky) or just parry and go nuts on them. People sure do love that 2p.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
"I have trouble enough connecting the first K after (P+K) and have never gotten the brutal knee finish (the last K) to come out at all. He has another of these which is somewhat shorter and simpler but still I can't get that knee finish out."

For the first one (back forward p+k), you want to press K right as/slightly after) the last punch connects.

For the second one (back, down-forward), I believe you can do the back forward k input as soon as possible. Either that or my speed for back-forward+k happens to be perfectly timed for it to trigger.

Once you get the timing they're not that difficult, the timing window seems fairly lenient.

Thx Tek. I probably just need to spend more time in the lab. I still haven't been able to really dedicate myself aside from Grifter beating my ass the other night with his Akira.

Skilletor

Maybe your definition of a perfect experience is far removed from others. :)

"6p with who?"

With anyone. I believe now everyone has a general 6P (elbow class move) that has near identical start up and hits mid. I know Shun didn't have one in Vanilla and now he has one.

Edit: One exception being Akira, but he has 66P.

AAK

Good games Soul! Awesome timings for your grab game. Right when I think about attacking you before you can grab me I'm already in the middle of one!

Look forward to more games soon :)

Soulstar

Yeah it was really fun I started to get wrecked there at the end and couldn't get my groove back. I'm surprised at how long we played it didn't feel that long but 3 hours passed like a blink of an eye.

I'm definitely going to have to run it back sometime.

galvatron

Thx Tek. I probably just need to spend more time in the lab. I still haven't been able to really dedicate myself aside from Grifter beating my ass the other night with his Akira.

Also, both the moves you asked about have demonstrations with frame data if you select the move from the move list and press Y on xbox and I'm guessing triangle on PS3. I only got the shorter one once, but I land the first one with only a couple of attempts...go figure.

Riposte

Aside from my scrub combos and evades and my complete lack of stance use(counters too), I feel pretty good about my Lion in the context of the online arena. I manage to beat players better than me (and certainly ranked higher, like a Barbarian lol) by playing smart. I love playing keep-away. I bet it pisses people off so much when I sweep them from the other side of the screen and then do it again as they get up or crumple them when they rise attack. Lion was definitely a good choice for me.

My combos are really shameful though. I get low 60s in a good situation at most and I'm using moves that I would think are crappy lol. Down K x2 is my go to move when I don't know how to follow up an attack that knocks down or floats. It comes in handy when they quick recover because opponents often get knocked down again on the second hit when they are new to it.

Akiras make up my toughest opponents for me. They can just be totally brutal, especially if they are using a lot of throws mixed in when their BS elbows and palms and shit.

I should employ "fuzzy guarding" more.

Down punch (low jabs, w/e) are quite easy to punish. I often bait them out with my own and then punish it with this low to the ground launcher uppercut Lion has (down(hold) down-forward P).

Shearie

are you on PSN or XBL?

Last night I played both for a long time, and noticed overall even though I was getting the same bars (connection quality), PSN games were generally less consistent with good connections. Even the same people would go from full bars (with a little lag) to 1 less bar while maintaining the same quality. I was even playing with someone local (like 10 miles away) and there were periods where we would be frozen for at least 1 second sometimes.

Playing on XBL I didnt have these issues. Or maybe its a nat type problem or issues with my ISP.

Whoops. I missed your post. I'm on PSN.

LowParry

Eeesh. That PSN Complete bundle has you d/l every character and the game. PLUS having to install each item. What a pain. But in any case, I'm completely out of the loop of this game though I'll probably end up maining Jean for now. Really fun game. Even if I've just spent my time in the dojo mostly.

Shearie

Eeesh. That PSN Complete bundle has you d/l every character and the game. PLUS having to install each item. What a pain.

In that situation it's best to just put the PS3 on automatic shutdown so it downloads AND installs all that stuff for you.

GGs to Teknopathetic and Soulstar tonight. Those were some interesting matches, and I feel that I picked up a lot of experience playing against Shun and Sarah.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Coming from a 2D FG background... how do you memorize a whole moveset? @___@
I wanna Learn Goh (Or Brad) but damn i cant even remember half the moves.

soakrates

Anyone wanna jump into a room at around 10pm Pacific?

Also, PeacefulJay is streaming VF5FS right now -- http://www.twitch.tv/peacefuljay

I wouldn't worry about it for now. My method is to slowly add moves to my repertoire as I get better with a character. Provided said moves are actually useful, of course. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Start simple. Learn some moves, then the more time you put into the game the more you can add different moves of that movelist of the character in.

So simply just start with P/K/PP/KK/PK/PPK/P+G/K+G... and go from there.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Don't bother for now. Focus on what's effective for you first then branch out as you get more comfortable. Eventually you'll come to know the usual button combos before even digging into the command list proper.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member

Yeah, at first it's very difficult to remember half of the moves, but if you complete Command Training 3 or 4 times in a row (or maybe more times in the case of Brad and Goh - they are complicated fellows ;-) ), your hands will "remember" most of them. Most fighters from VF don't have moves that require difficult inputs. The most important thing is to learn the moves that fit your play style. It doesn't matter if you know all the moves or not. What does matter is to use efficient the moves you can remember.

I have spend some time with Taka in Free Training and I realised why this game is amazing : I have managed to pull off my very own 13 different combos, without any research ! Man, I love this game. Taka, along with Lion, will be my main from now on.

Amazing that of all the games to hear some dude raging at me and huffing and puffing and calling me all sorts of kinds of homosexual, it's VF. I'll be glad when these shitheads are gone from the game in a week.

Top Bottom