• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

You can use practically every move in the moveset depending on the situation. Of course, you have your top 10 moves in which you would try to space, bait, etc. but there are moves that are good to low crush, beat out throws, punish, and so on. It will take time, but once you feel comfortable with your character, things will go a lot smoother.

I encourage players to stick with this game. For me, movement in VF makes the most sense than any 3D fighter. I can admit that it will feel slow and robotic at first but when things start to click, it really is one of the fastest fighters out there.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Yeah, sure. Some moves only have limited applications, that's true for every character.

In the end, what I find happens is that you learn and absorb an entire moveset as a... whole thing, and you begin to know each move by their animations, by the height they hit at, how fast they feel etc. I guess that's true of a lot of fighting games, but in SF, you could arguably tier moves in your mind around types like normals, jumping, crouch, specials, supers, etc. I don't think that doesn't really happens in VF, with the possible exception of throws; the entire moveset is one, with a single P being is as valid and useful in your mind any other move with a more complex input. In a way, that's actually simpler.

When you've found your character and their moves become second nature to you, that's where the game comes into its own. The way moves are treated in VF isn't a complexity thing, it's... something else. Something I've found that only VF does. You just gotta play it to understand. But don't fear it, it's not scary.

I have been playing virtua fighter for a long time, way back in the saturn days. I don't know all the moves for one character, and I don't try.

When I am picking up a new character(and I have tried to recommend this approach before), I play the character and just dive and don't even look at a move list. I am going to lose, but who cares? I get a feel for the flow of the character and I pick out a few moves that work well for me.

After playing for a while I go into command training, and look at some moves. I pick 1 or 2 that I want to add to my fighting style and when I play again I try to work them in, and I get a sense of when they are useful. Repeat. I never look at a VF movelist as a whole and try to incorporate the whole thing.

This isn't a pro-tip by any means but the way I played the previous games (VF4, Evo and VF5) was each time I booted the game up I would go through the command training with the character I was learning just once. I wouldn't obsess over every move, if I couldn't get an execution after 3 attempts I moved on, and when I got to the end I quit out and started playing. Eventually muscle memory and familiarity will make more of the characters moveset feel like 2nd nature.

This isn't a pro-tip by any means but the way I played the previous games (VF4, Evo and VF5) was each time I booted the game up I would go through the command training with the character I was learning just once. I wouldn't obsess over every move, if I couldn't get an execution after 3 attempts I moved on, and when I got to the end I quit out and started playing. Eventually muscle memory and familiarity will make more of the characters moveset feel like 2nd nature.

THIS. IMO, the best way (at first) to train for VF is to go to command training and just run through the moves. Some will stick more than others, but as you make this a practice more and more will stick and you'll have a breadth of knowledge you didn't even realize.

From what I've played/learned/read, in 3D fighting games you don't need to know every move (at least initially), you just need to know enough moves to cover the essentials. Moves to counter someone sidestepping, good mids, your go-to lows, a few good strings, moves that are particularly nasty on counter-hit, etc. When you watch top level players playing, you're not seeing them use all 80+ moves of their character, because almost half of them aren't useful most of the time (or just plain bad). Their play revolves around a core set of moves and they throw in the others in the offhand situations where they're necessary.

AAK

Haven't played VF for an extremely long time. Last one was 4Evo but that was when I wasn't very serious about gaming. How I'm going to figure this game out like I would any 3D game:

Step 1: Movement, Sidestepping
Step 2: Waking up Properly
Step 3: Throwing and Breaking Throws
Step 4: Basic Punishers
Step 5: Basic Juggle Starters
Step 6: Bound Moves
Step 7: Usual Juggle Enders

And from there figure out the other intricacies as they arise.

GrayFoxPL

Step 1: Movement, Sidestepping
Step 2: Waking up Properly
Step 3: Throwing and Breaking Throws
Step 4: Basic Punishers
Step 5: Basic Juggle Starters
Step 6: Bound Moves
Step 7: Usual Juggle Enders

And from there figure out the other intricacies as they arise.

Oh, I'm so similar!

Step 1: PPPK
Step 2: PPPdown+K

;D

From what I've played/learned/read, in 3D fighting games you don't need to know every move (at least initially), you just need to know enough moves to cover the essentials. Moves to counter someone sidestepping, good mids, your go-to lows, a few good strings, moves that are particularly nasty on counter-hit, etc. When you watch top level players playing, you're not seeing them use all 80+ moves of their character, because almost half of them aren't useful most of the time (or just plain bad). Their play revolves around a core set of moves and they throw in the others in the offhand situations where they're necessary.

Very well said. And is something new comers should take note when getting into VF or any 3D fighter. And with that said, it also gives players there own flow as well. Thanks to the High Damage output in the VF series. You never get to see most of the moves. This is the only fighting game that I can tell who's the player using their main without seeing their name. For example. When I play Plauge's Akira, I know he is going to fish for 3P+K(On Counter it crumples and can be combo into 66+K)But the moves he uses is to force you to attack high so he could get that move in there.

While Yang Zse, Akira is going to use a shitload of liner attacks so you could start side-stepping so he could start rocking his half-circular moves to setup a guard crush or catch throw(In Vanilla 5, you can't break catch throws)Once he knows you're going to duck, he is going to SPOD you. Konjou on that situation will knee the shit out of you.

That's what great about this game, you could pick the moves that benefit your play-style.

Daigoro

got a new stick on the way for this badboy! shipped today. im fucking hyped. (shit looks like it wont be here until next Friday. arg! why did i go with super saver?!)

cant wait to get my "Old Fool" back in the ring.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Very well said. And is something new comers should take note when getting into VF or any 3D fighter. And with that said, it also gives players there own flow as well. Thanks to the High Damage output in the VF series. You never get to see most of the moves. This is the only fighting game that I can tell who's the player using their main without seeing their name. For example. When I play Plauge's Akira, I know he is going to fish for 3P+K(On Counter it crumples and can be combo into 66+K)But the moves he uses is to force you to attack high so he could get that move in there.

While Yang Zse, Akira is going to use a shitload of liner attacks so you could start side-stepping so he could start rocking his half-circular moves to setup a guard crush or catch throw(In Vanilla 5, you can't break catch throws)Once he knows you're going to duck, he is going to SPOD you. Konjou on that situation will knee the shit out of you.

That's what great about this game, you could pick the moves that benefit your play-style.

I swear that I recall, some years ago, this was stated as a specific design goal by the VF team starting around VF4. That the characters have multiple valid trees to pick moves from, so that they could be played in multiple ways focusing on different moves.

I mean, I suppose that most 3D fighters invite that with their large and varied move sets, but VF seems the most engineered and scientific about it.

I remember the summer the 360 version was out, my best friend and I had a Goh/Akira rivalry. I remember these long stalemates, I'd hit command training, learn a new move and all of a sudden I had an answer for a particular situation. Then he'd learn something and it'd go back and forth like that for weeks. I play pretty much every big fighting game out there but only VF I ever felt close to maximizing potential. There's a purity to the game play in VF that makes it special.

Day 1 for me. My new interest in fighting games definitely needs this. Total noob though and only recently got an arcade stick(qanba q4) so learning that too.

Can add me to the 360 list
DreWz12000 - australia.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
PSN: benny_a - Europe

I thought the game was already out so I got a US PSN card, but apparently it isn't.
Well next week!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Haunts Stream from earlier today for those that missed it. Shows lobby play, with spectating, etc. Good stuff.

Link

Just got around to watching this and I am at the room fighting part. Not sure if I understand the lobby system in this game. You have to switch between P1 and P2 in order to lock yourself into the match?

What would stop the top guy from switching to the same side at the last second to troll the person below him?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I'll be streaming again in a few hours fyi. Wont be too long. Dentist appt a bit later. :(

Just got around to watching this and I am at the room fighting part. Not sure if I understand the lobby system in this game. You have to switch between P1 and P2 in order to lock yourself into the match?

What would stop the top guy from switching to the same side at the last second to troll the person below him?

It seems weird at first but its basically just a way to either spectate or play.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I understand the spectating part, but I was more interested in the possible ability to snub the person below you with a quick side change.

Not a real problem for friends in a room, but I can definitely see some elitest trolling when they don't want to play somebody in a room full of people. Hopefully it doesn't work like I think it does.

saelz8

I understand the spectating part, but I was more interested in the possible ability to snub the person below you with a quick side change.

Not a real problem for friends in a room, but I can definitely see some elitest trolling when they don't want to play somebody in a room full of people. Hopefully it doesn't work like I think it does.

The VF Community is extremely nice. In no other game do I get as many "GG's" and "Thanks for playing" messages on LIVE as I do in VF5 online, even if I lose 15 games in a row. (Gameztrix, I'm looking at you)

alstein

The VF Community is extremely nice. In no other game do I get as many "GG's" and "Thanks for playing" messages on LIVE as I do in VF5 online, even if I lose 15 games in a row. (Gameztrix, I'm looking at you)

One thing I'm worried about is whether increased popularity of the game will lead to a degradation of the community as the "SRK mentality" infects the community. Maybe it would be self-selecting, as I don't think the typical SF mentality leads itself well to learning VF.

Maybe this is the price of success, and keeping the series alive though.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
I don't see any drama in VF happening anytime soon. I think the worst thing VF5FS can face is not being alive. Here's to hoping it lasts!

Oh yeah does anybody know how many people signed up for the EVO side tourney? I am saving up a bit to pay for it before I go and I heard there was a cap.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I always try to send such messages.

Incidently the worst message I got was in virtua fighter from some japanese guy calling me a horrible mexican. It was wierd.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

They... they don't... *chokes* they don't tell you that you're a... n00b f*g when you win?

They don't send fifteen hate mails in a row when you pick a certain character and they disconnect before "fight" has left the screen?

This better not be an cruel trick.

It's only like that cause our community is small and we need players =)

For real though, it is very friendly. I'm sure as it gets bigger, the jerks will show up but the experience is a pleasant one 95% of the time.

AAK

The goal is to overwhelm your opponent so much that they'll send hatemail. Or so I thought so... It's part of the enjoyment of fighting games.

alstein

They... they don't... *chokes* they don't tell you that you're a... n00b f*g when you win?

They don't send fifteen hate mails in a row when you pick a certain character and they disconnect before "fight" has left the screen?

This better not be an cruel trick.

I saw a couple of guys like that on XBL back in the day, but VF5 was the only fighter on the 360 back then, so those guys are probably playing some Capcom game now.

Negativity and assholeness in a community tends to be self-reinforcing, HDR is a perfect example of that- the worst community I ever saw with fighters was with that game.

soakrates

I will definitely put my money where my mouth is, but isn't there another arcade version coming out?
Not that I know of, unless Sega announces VF6 soon, but that would be at least a year away, most likely.

And if you want VF6 on consoles, everyone better buy the shit out of VF5FS. :p

GrayFoxPL

I've been hyping and asking about VF5FS on SCV online lobbies but so far the interest is zero :/. Not giving up though.

Skilletor

I'm primarily a SoulCalibur player and I'm not even playing online. I'm looking to make the full conversion to VF in five days.

I just play fighters.

I stopped playing SC online because of the droppers and how difficult it was getting to find a match. :/

Looking forward to owning Fallingedge at VF, though. He doesn't even lift.

alstein

SC is probably the closest fighter to VF among the major fighters, surprised there isn't more interest.

Just say the owner of 8WR said SC5 was a fraud game compared to VF. (he did say this at FR)

That being said- I can see a lot of folks in the FGC not liking VF5. It's a different mentality from SF, some folks might be really uncomfortable with this.

I just play fighters.
I play all 3D fighters, but everyone has a game they consider to be their strongest/best/favorite. For me, it's been SC for the past fourteen years. I've flirted with VF in the past, but with the combination of reduced execution requirements, improved animations, and it's standing as the last honest fighter...the choice is simple.

I just play fighters.

I stopped playing SC online because of the droppers and how difficult it was getting to find a match. :/

Looking forward to owning Fallingedge at VF, though. He doesn't even lift.

ARE YOU SERIOUS BRO? HAVE YOU SEEN MY CHEST?

VF Party at my place on the 9th. You better show up.

That being said- I can see a lot of folks in the FGC not liking VF5. It's a different mentality from SF, some folks might be really uncomfortable with this.

VF has always had that stigma, though. I really don't see things changing. However, more new people will be trying out this game than ever so let's hope that a fair amount of them will convert and stick it out in the long run.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In case you were perhaps not notified, the Quest Mode equivalent is disabled w/o the item packs. :| So no customization, period, without them. That's fine to me, because I'm going to spend like an idiot, but it's worth notifying people.

Top Bottom