• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

haunts

Bacon of Hope
It's entertaining as well. Especially when you come up against a Pai. The anguish in your voice is hilarious.

I really hate Pai and Eileen so much. I feel like those characters get away with murder in some of these online matches.

I think Eileen is the worst because half of her moves she is just taunting you anyway.

Just thinking about them is making me heated.

I do try to review my matches and learn but I'm not going to lie its hard to apply this crap sometimes. Like you want to do the right stuff but then you start losing by adjusting your gameplan and just get irritated as hell and revert to spamming 2P.

-_____________-

DR2K

Banned
Being "respectful" in the fighting game sense means playing as if your opponent knows what to do.

I usually use Sarah's kick flamingo strings to gauge if my opponent knows anything. If you(or your opponent) don't know your frame data it's especially easy to mash out of frame disadvantage.

ACH1LL3US

I really hate Pai and Eileen so much. I feel like those characters get away with murder in some of these online matches.

I think Eileen is the worst because half of her moves she is just taunting you anyway.

Just thinking about them is making me heated.

I do try to review my matches and learn but I'm not going to lie its hard to apply this crap sometimes. Like you want to do the right stuff but then you start losing by adjusting your gameplan and just get irritated as hell and revert to spamming 2P.

-_____________-

I have to agree with you, those two characters really make me salty. Eileen is so small I feel most high attacks whif against her.

Xevren

Eileen is definitely annoying, but my most hated is fucking Taka. You'd think being a huge fat bastard would make it easier for combos but instead you have to learn a different set because of his dumb ass. I hate him.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I have to agree with you, those two characters really make me salty. Eileen is so small I feel most high attacks whif against her.

Yeah that too. I never know like when or how I can hit her. She does that stupid ass like breakdancing splits move and I go for a mid and it just completely wiffs. She has a lot of crap like that I feel like. Then they hit you with something and start jumping around oh my god I swear I am going to throw a joystick out the window one of these days.

Im not talking about good Eileen players and Pai players. I know when I am getting outplayed its just these guys its like ROUND 1 FIGHT then PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPK. Just mash as hard as you can on P as soon as round starts and hope for the best.

Eileen is definitely annoying, but my most hated is fucking Taka. You'd think being a huge fat bastard would make it easier for combos but instead you have to learn a different set because of his dumb ass. I hate him.

Taka annoys me too but really its my own fault for not learning the right combos so its hard to get too mad ya know. his moves can be a little irritating too though. That low two hit punch and that mid (high?) 1-2 punch that kncoks you down and he can combo you.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Sorry for the double post but on another note, as mad as I get I love that it does come down to just reading the other guy. I mean, match ups are part of it but its not like Street Fighter where its less about the other guy and more like "okay what can I punish blocked Blanka balls with". Players in SF are really limited by what their characters can do, and they can mix it up a bit sure but its nothing like VF imo.

I feel like everyone has their own style with VF and makes it a lot of fun to play while certain match ups really ruined SF4 (guile, blanka) for me. Even with characters like Pai and Eileen im motivated to learn how the character works so I can read the opponent better rather than just being bored out of my god damn mind by an endless flurry of sonic booms or whatever.

edit: I want to clarify I dont think SF4 is shit or anything, I think learning all the match ups and having an answer for everything is impressive and I see the appeal too I just feel there are more "branching paths" in VF5 compared to a lot of other fighting games.

Shouta

Eileen is annoying in that she's small relative to other character so it's sometimes a little difficult to read what level of attack she's doing. I can't read if she's doing a high or a mid so I can sometimes eat it while crouching. Plus all of her moves kinda are all over the place so it's a little more difficult to read her animations.

zlatko

Banned
Ha. I'm relatively new to the series and this game, and yet Eileen is my most hated character already too.

So annoying> :(

Sloosha

As an Eileen player I try to be as annoying as possible. Feels good to land that flip cancel into throw move.

I personally dislike playing Lion players. I'm forever having my legs swept.

54-46!

I love playing Vanessa, just when you think she won't hit them one last time she ends with a punch right in the face when throwing people - so good.

Still.. getting used to the two stances is a bit tricky.

Ninjimbo

It's funny reading some of the comments against Pai and Eileen. I main both of them and I always feel like I'm at a disadvantage against the big characters.

I love the balance of VF.

Morris

Disco Devil
Y'all suck :< ... <3 Eileen

A lot of her stance/taunt moves are super unsafe on block, so doing those is always a gamble, you just need to learn what her individual stance options are and punish accordingly. I feel like she's too much of a Yomi oriented character but I do think that she's one of the best characters in the game though. Good Eileens are definitely tricky as hell.

Anyway, I'm getting better at this game, after actually learning my moves and mixups I haven't been losing much.

I'd need to play Tekno again to see how i'm fairing...

PS: Fuck Lei Fei

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
up P+K+G with Eileen all day, erry day

I don't get nearly enuff hate mail for my fraudulent™ Eileen. TheSeks must be intercepting all of it. :<

Rambler

I usually use Sarah's kick flamingo strings to gauge if my opponent knows anything. If you(or your opponent) don't know your frame data it's especially easy to mash out of frame disadvantage.
I fought a Sarah player for the first time today.

I had absolutely no idea what to do against flamingo stance :/

Y'all suck :< ... <3 Eileen

A lot of her stance/taunt moves are super unsafe on block, so doing those is always a gamble, you just need to learn what her individual stance options are and punish accordingly. I feel like she's too much of a Yomi oriented character but I do think that she's one of the best characters in the game though. Good Eileens are definitely tricky as hell.

Anyway, I'm getting better at this game, after actually learning my moves and mixups I haven't been losing much.

I'd need to play Tekno again to see how i'm fairing...

PS: Fuck Lei Fei

Fought this Lei Fei spammer yesterday :| Didn't know what to do.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can someone *please* tell me how to mute other players in the lobby?

Fought a bullshit Taka player who spammed the same 1-2 step that pushed me from one end of the ring to the other.

The first step would hit and stun, then the next step would hit and stun and then he would repeat the god-damn cycle.
This happened for three straight rounds and I couldn't work out how to deal with it.

I was so pissed after the match, I just switched off the console then and there.

d0c_zaius

up P+K+G with Eileen all day, erry day

I don't get nearly enuff hate mail for my fraudulent&#8482; Eileen. TheSeks must be intercepting all of it. :<

down P+K+G all night errry night.

good to see some other eileen players. only seen 1 online so far and that was 10th kyu.

hate Lei-Fei and Vanessas on a small stage.

Shouta

Up to 10th Dan with Blaze on PSN now. But man, 2P monsters are dastardly. Just tossing them in between strings and I can't counter them online.

Shouta

Ah, good point. I don't usually use 8P+K because it doesn't really have a ton of uses most of the time. I'll have to give it a shot next time though.

Favorite thing to do against hapless guys online with Blaze is to get in their head on wake-up with 9P and 9P+G. They low sweep getting up, they eat the body splash. If they mid, I block and sweep as they try to counter. If they stand up and block, I 9P+G. I've even just splashed as they get up and gotten low throws because guys get all tangled up, it's quite amusing.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

Might not work though.

Hehe. Seriously though I find it strange that this game doesn't have an option to mute players in the lobby. A very odd design choice on Sega's part.

In addition, it appears you cannot send invites to anyone anymore when in a lobby match. Pressing L2 used to bring up my friends list for an "invite" option but not anymore. Did they patch this out of the game?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Fought a bullshit Taka player who spammed the same 1-2 step that pushed me from one end of the ring to the other.

The first step would hit and stun, then the next step would hit and stun and then he would repeat the god-damn cycle.
This happened for three straight rounds and I couldn't work out how to deal with it.

I was so pissed after the match, I just switched off the console then and there.

It's a low hit, so just block low and you'll be fine. Taka is at -15 if it's blocked so you can hit him with just about anything for free.

Bilix

Hey guys, I've been really getting into this game. I not a big fan of fighters in general and I'm really lousy at any 2D fighters, but I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I got a couple of quick questions:

1) What do I do against crouching players as Jacky? Crouching players throw me off and I don't know an effective way to fight them.

2) What do I do against any half-decent Brad Burns player? It seems like they can punch faster than I can, if I block it feels like they have next to know recovery time and they can still beat me to a punch, and they're too fast to dodge.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I played against RainingNukaCola who i beat pretty badly, then he sent me a message saying I throw too much. I responded telling him thanks for the tip, but he blocks too much. He then told me that at least he blocks and doesn't whiff throws until one connects. I then sent him a more detailed message explaining how throws are one third of the game and what does he expect me to do when he blocks a lot? Probably really angered him with that message.

Anyone play against this guy? Is anyone here this guy?

1) What do I do against crouching players as Jacky? Crouching players throw me off and I don't know an effective way to fight them.

2) What do I do against any half-decent Brad Burns player? It seems like they can punch faster than I can, if I block it feels like they have next to know recovery time and they can still beat me to a punch, and they're too fast to dodge.

I don't play jacky, but for 1: any mid attack will work against a crouching oppenent. Usually makes them stagger too. If the try to go right into a crouching jab or something just get out a really fast elbow as soon as possible. That is a general advice for virtua fighter, jacky specific will have to come from someone else.

For punch spamming brads, try some sweeps, or maybe some of that awesome looking punch autocounter jacky has.

Daigoro

Streaming in about 10 min - http://www.twich.tv/iplaywnner

Might play Akira a bit today -- we'll see!

i think i played you tonight. it was 2 and 2 and we both had a sliver left and i ran at you and ate one. fun game, too bad i goofed up the ending.

Can someone *please* tell me how to mute other players in the lobby?

view their game card and mute them for life, or just put yourself in a party and then you dont have to listen to anyone if you dont want.

i get distracted easily so i just party up.

zlatko

Banned
Beat Arturo online earlier tonight. Saved the replay, may have to upload it later, because I won with a sick mix up. Did some Brad jab jab swag whoop jab jab, swag whoop, into throw.

feelsgoodman.

Ah, good point. I don't usually use 8P+K because it doesn't really have a ton of uses most of the time. I'll have to give it a shot next time though.

Favorite thing to do against hapless guys online with Blaze is to get in their head on wake-up with 9P and 9P+G. They low sweep getting up, they eat the body splash. If they mid, I block and sweep as they try to counter. If they stand up and block, I 9P+G. I've even just splashed as they get up and gotten low throws because guys get all tangled up, it's quite amusing.
8P+K is godlike on 2P mashers. You get a solid 70+ Damage combo out of it(OS only). BTW, I'll be at NL this weekend competing in VF with El Mexico.

As an Eileen player I try to be as annoying as possible. Feels good to land that flip cancel into throw move.

I personally dislike playing Lion players. I'm forever having my legs swept.

Haha yeah that flip into throw is the best. I always try to end my matches with that move.

"I played him earlier like I mentioned, but one thing I wasn't sure of is what does him getting drunk do for him?"

Makes him do more damage, unlocks moves, changes properties on some moves, allows for longer combos.

Hilbert

Hah! I used Pak Sao against a Brad and he totally didn't know what to do after 3 failed punch spams. Won 3-0. Thanks!
Hey glad to know it worked! Just be careful, I can't imagine that working against anyone but the newest of the noobs.

zlatko

Banned
"I played him earlier like I mentioned, but one thing I wasn't sure of is what does him getting drunk do for him?"

Makes him do more damage, unlocks moves, changes properties on some moves, allows for longer combos.

Lol I was messing up big time then. I think he had over 15 drinks in his system come the final round. :p

Hilbert

Anyone want to share some of their creations? My sister made this one, she called him "SexyMilkMan".

WP_000294-e1340234235463.jpg

Got this game free on PS+, always been a huge Fighting game fan but never played any of the VF games.

First impressions: extremely well designed interfaces and character move lists/button configs. love the mini videos with frame data for tougher moves. the joystick on screen is very helpful.

There are so many moves. I doubt all of them are used, is there any resource available to see what's best for the characters I want to play? I'm looking at Taka-Arashi and Vanessa.

I play on PSN, is the community there alive? I need this game, I'm hooked already. Any resources for information on what's the best way to play? pro guides etc? I'll check the OP, but i'll leave this post here for now.

Edit: I see some nice links there, still going to leave my scrub post incase anyone has anything else useful though. Thanks, really want to get into this game to hold over until I get TTT2 at least.

Shouta

8P+K is godlike on 2P mashers. You get a solid 70+ Damage combo out of it(OS only). BTW, I'll be at NL this weekend competing in VF with El Mexico.

Yeah, I gotta start mixing a lot more stuff up. I played with Femto tonight at a local place and we were talking about shit to get that Blaze game up. I gotta get my combo game going so I can transition between it and my mix-up/throwing.

Edgeward

Got this game free on PS+, always been a huge Fighting game fan but never played any of the VF games.

First impressions: extremely well designed interfaces and character move lists/button configs. love the mini videos with frame data for tougher moves. the joystick on screen is very helpful.

There are so many moves. I doubt all of them are used, is there any resource available to see what's best for the characters I want to play? I'm looking at Taka-Arashi and Vanessa.

I play on PSN, is the community there alive? I need this game, I'm hooked already. Any resources for information on what's the best way to play? pro guides etc? I'll check the OP, but i'll leave this post here for now.

Edit: I see some nice links there, still going to leave my scrub post incase anyone has anything else useful though. Thanks, really want to get into this game to hold over until I get TTT2 at least.

Dandy J's tutorial

Also UltraChen put up an extensive show all about VF with LA Akira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5UcZ45X2qM&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM6-yEVeBc&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NoKl7Xkj4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHszyN-msg&feature=plcp

I rather fight Eileen or Pai over Lau, Brad and Vanessa any day of the week. I rarely defeat players who use them and I beat high ranked players that use other characters all the time.

alstein

PSN community is a little sparse in the early morning, but still folks there, and much more active the rest of the day. I just hope this game keeps folks once TTT2 comes out, that's my real worry, I know the VFDC folks will stay around, I don't know about the others.

I think the XBL comm is a little smaller, but judging by Haunts's stream, the number of killers on XBL is a little higher.

sonicmj1

Got on my JP account and got rocked. Got a solid .333 winning percentage. Players keep ducking the second hit of my 3PP and punishing hard.

I'm really going to have to reassess my tactics.

Thanks! Love the game. it's extremely well made. Sad it doesn't have a bigger community. I can't even find combo tutorials for characters online, I guess it's kinda freeform if you keep juggle right? there's no ability to get yourself out of juggles like in Soul Calibur?

alstein

Thanks! Love the game. it's extremely well made. Sad it doesn't have a bigger community. I can't even find combo tutorials for characters online, I guess it's kinda freeform if you keep juggle right? there's no ability to get yourself out of juggles like in Soul Calibur?

The community is fanatically dedicated, and they'll stick around for years. I don't think it will be that hard to find matches in six months.

No ability to get yourself out of juggles. Hit VFDC if you want combo vids/tutorials, though it's hard to do for this game due to weight classes and situational combos.

Top Bottom