• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Shearie

This game sure is helping me beef up my block list. Love the anticipation before I read a message wondering if it's gonna be sweet or salty.

Doomshine

Thanks! Love the game. it's extremely well made. Sad it doesn't have a bigger community. I can't even find combo tutorials for characters online, I guess it's kinda freeform if you keep juggle right? there's no ability to get yourself out of juggles like in Soul Calibur?

Only thing you can do is tech roll to avoid further damage. If you don't tech you might eat some extra hits, but teching obviously allows your opponent to put pressure on you.

zlatko

Banned
Who is the best Brad player? I'd like to watch a few of his matches to mimic his means to confirm and what he does for his combos, etc.

"Who is the best Brad player? I'd like to watch a few of his matches to mimic his means to confirm and what he does for his combos, etc."

Considering he currently has the highest possible rank in the arcade (and IIRC he's currently now the only player to hold that rank after his Deathmatch against Joseph), "Itoshun" probably qualifies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Is it me or the netcode is GODTIER? Played a few matches with a player not far from me and couldn't feel the difference with local. Am I oblivious or is it that good?

MightyKAC

Is it me or the netcode is GODTIER? Played a few matches on local and couldn't feel the difference with local. Am I oblivious or is it that good?

I live in Japan and I've had some pretty smooth matches with Gaffers that are stateside and\ or living in Canada.

So yeah, this netcode is quite god-like.

zlatko

Banned
"Who is the best Brad player? I'd like to watch a few of his matches to mimic his means to confirm and what he does for his combos, etc."

Considering he currently has the highest possible rank in the arcade (and IIRC he's currently now the only player to hold that rank after his Deathmatch against Joseph), "Itoshun" probably qualifies.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to use this weekend to finish that 2+ hour tutorial and then watch some vids of Itoshun.

:)

Edit: Yes this games netcode is on par with Soul Calibur 5's which is also god like.

bumpkin

I finally got off my butt and downloaded this on PS3 (yay, PS+ freebie!). Played through a handful of the tutorials last night. I just wish I had an arcade stick for my PS3; I only have a TE Fightstick for my 360.

zlatko

Banned
Renzo at Southtown Arcade has a sick Brad. He busted him out at the last tournament. Almost made me want to play him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyxcPhEd_R8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAwDVCStkek

Will check this out after work as well.

How does this game fair tournament wise as a spectator? Is it hype on the same level of say AE and UMvC3, or is it dooming to watch like SFxT?

Thinking of dropping the extra 20 bucks for all the costume items too, but I already spent 400 points for just Brad. Sucks I'll pay more. :(

Question about the DLC costumes though---when I d/leded the Brad costume stuff it was 1.93 GB just like the actual game. WTF? Does this mean each characters costume items are another 2GB each?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Question about the DLC costumes though---when I d/leded the Brad costume stuff it was 1.93 GB just like the actual game. WTF? Does this mean each characters costume items are another 2GB each?

This may piss you off.

You downloaded all the costume data when you just downloaded brad, but you cannot see all of them until you buy them all. On the bright side if you do buy them all the download speed is near instant!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
The game is like Tekken where its very exciting if you know whats going on, but otherwise hard to really tell the dramatic moments imo. Just a "problem" with all 3D games I guess.

zlatko

Banned
This may piss you off.

You downloaded all the costume data when you just downloaded brad, but you cannot see all of them until you buy them all. On the bright side if you do buy them all the download speed is near instant!

Okay that's fine. So long as I don't have to do a mega shit ton download now that I want them all. :p

I'll hold off for now though and probably dive in my next pay day Friday. I really dig some of what I see online for YT matches people dress up in. El Blaze's trench coat outfit I saw looks super bad ass. :p

Ardenyal

The game is like Tekken where its very exciting if you know whats going on, but otherwise hard to really tell the dramatic moments imo. Just a "problem" with all 3D games I guess.

Yeah, the big moves that put you at a big disadvantage are not evident enough like in 2D fighting games. Most spectators not aware of these probably won't be able to tell the difference and it's difficult to keep track of who is on top.

Mubbed

Still haven't encountered a single Taka-Arashi online. The rest of the cast is well represented on PSN.

I noticed that it is much easier to find Player matches on PSN during the afternoon. At night Ranked is the only option.

Hilbert

Still haven't encountered a single Taka-Arashi online. The rest of the cast is well represented on PSN.

I noticed that it is much easier to find Player matches on PSN during the afternoon. At night Ranked is the only option.

I have been trying to add taka to my rotation on xbox live. I am definitely not great at him, but I am improving slowly.

Feels good to switch between and be decent with: Aoi, Blaze, Vanessa and Taka(in order of my competence with the character).

This may piss you off.

I bought the Kage set, I expected that this would give me access to the special sparring mode and be able to see other people's crazy creations in online matches. But I can't play the special sparring and I haven't seen anyone online with a crazy costume. I'm a little annoyed about that, because I know the data is on my Xbox.

Can anyone confirm that I wont see opponent's custom outfits without buying the rest of the DLC?

Also, sometimes I get matched against a Hunter or other high ranking player and they instantly back out. I'm still a Kyu rank, up to 2nd now. Is there a snobbery going on amongst high ranking players, or do they get less ranking points for beating scrubs like me?

Hilbert

Can anyone confirm that I wont see opponent's custom outfits without buying the rest of the DLC?

Also, sometimes I get matched against a Hunter or other high ranking player and they instantly back out. I'm still a Kyu rank, up to 2nd now. Is there a snobbery going on amongst high ranking players, or do they get less ranking points for beating scrubs like me?

I think you confirmed it yourself. If you want to double check we can meet up, I have lots of costumes made.

I am not quite sure how the points work on hunter, but there probably is a bit of snobbery going on, particularly among japanese players. I have seen it over the years with vanilla VF.

haunts

Bacon of Hope

I back out not to be a dick but the fact I dont get any points from playing Kyu's or Dans. It's a little self-centered but I need to play people who I can rank up against or you feel like you're treading water sometimes.

ACH1LL3US

Well... its official.... Im addicted to this game!! ahhh

I was always huge fane of the previous VF games. None of my friends liked it so I just played the cpu at the hardest difficulty. Since the Saturn days with VF1 been using Jerky.

Now VF5 FS is the first VF game I have had that I can play online, I have owned vf1, vf remix, vf2, vf3 ( Japanese imported DC for this game alone), VF4, VF4 Evo , VF5 (PS3).

I just love the depth of this game and how its really all about reading you opponents.

Ono-san would always compare SF to Chess... I feel VF is much more accurate analogy then SF.

I too hope the community stays when TTT2 drops.

Hilbert

Well... its official.... Im addicted to this game!! ahhh

I was always huge fane of the previous VF games. None of my friends liked it so I just played the cpu at the hardest difficulty. Since the Saturn days with VF1 been using Jerky.

Now VF5 FS is the first VF game I have had that I can play online, I have owned vf1, vf remix, vf2, vf3 ( Japanese imported DC for this game alone), VF4, VF4 Evo , VF5 (PS3).

I just love the depth of this game and how its really all about reading you opponents.

Ono-san would always compare SF to Chess... I feel VF is much more accurate analogy then SF.

I too hope the community stays when TTT2 drops.

Back on VF5 on the xbox I could always find people to play with, years after release. I hope it stays the same with final showdown, I am a bit worried with the community split between xbox and psn. I have a feeling since so many people got it for free with psn+ that community might die faster as people move on. But time will tell I guess.

alstein

I back out not to be a dick but the fact I dont get any points from playing Kyu's or Dans. It's a little self-centered but I need to play people who I can rank up against or you feel like you're treading water sometimes.

You could always use those matches for experimentation, like working on a new move (that can be tough if they abare everything though)

d0c_zaius

I'm free to the Brad Show. Its pretty much o_0 the whole time. Lau seems pretty scary too.

Jeffry seems way more entertaining in FS though.

oh and sexy milkman is hilarious.

I'll usually back out of matches with people who aren't Dans, not because I'm an ass, but because I don't want to discourage people from playing because they keep eating hotdogs. The way I play Blaze in ranked...isn't nice.

ACH1LL3US

What are the odds that there will be DLC for the VF 5 R backgrounds or the vanilla VF 5 backgrounds?

Also I hope the patch the game with the higher res textures of vanilla vf5... is it me or is the textures less detailed then vanilla???

The thing I like about VF is it is virtually impossible to go into "autopilot mode" when playing anyone halfway decent at it. I'll go on winning and losing streaks which are entirely dependent on how much attention I'm paying to frames and mixups. No block strings, no omnisituational combos, no bullshit.

It really does hinder the alcohol consumption mini game I usually play while waiting for games to load though.

This makes sense to me and explains why it was happening so often. Interesting from a design point of view as it discourages high ranking players from picking on new players and farming them for rank, but it also splits the user base and makes it harder for new players to find a match.

Endo Punk

Really enjoying the game, finally a 3D fighting game that lives up to the promise.

If I buy one DLC costume pack can I see the customized characters online?

Hilbert

Really enjoying the game, finally a 3D fighting game that lives up to the promise.

If I buy one DLC costume pack can I see the customized characters online?

No, you can only see the customizations of the characters that you bought it for.

MightyKAC

Any tips for a complete beginner El Blaze? This is the first VF I've really taken seriously and I find Blaze's luchador moveset awesome.

Learn your mix-up ups and your options. Keep in motion, never stand still or vapor lock even under pressure. Always try to keep your opponent blocking, frustrated and confused.

But most important of all, NEVER BECOME PREDICTABLE.

is Taka-Arashi decent? I kinda like the way he plays, but i cannot seem to do his 33PK > P > 43P > 6PKPP combo. the 3 P to 43P is difficult. I seem to be able to do it when I guard cancel the P, is this expected of this combo? anyone play him?

Xevren

is Taka-Arashi decent? I kinda like the way he plays, but i cannot seem to do his 33PK > P > 43P > 6PKPP combo. the 3 P to 43P is difficult. I seem to be able to do it when I guard cancel the P, is this expected of this combo? anyone play him?

His best quality is the fact others have to learn specific combos against him since the normal stuff won't work :mad:

<3 this game. Love playing as Goh so much.

It's my first VF game. I have to say, my heart was won over by how honest this game feels. I don't feel that gimmicks are all that reliable at all.

even though it only uses three buttons, the inputs feel really tight, and highly technical. The music is good too. The character roster is extremely varied, as are the stages.

This game is something I'm going to play for a long time. the fuzzy guard tutorial made me extremely excited to play.

It's my first VF game. I have to say, my heart was won over by how honest this game feels. I don't feel that gimmicks are all that reliable at all.

even though it only uses three buttons, the inputs feel really tight, and highly technical. The music is good too. The character roster is extremely varied, as are the stages.

This game is something I'm going to play for a long time. the fuzzy guard tutorial made me extremely excited to play.

You can switch the music while you wait in the online part before the round/matchmaking. All these little neat things just make it perfect.

And YES! I finally finished my goddamn review. Shameless plug don't read:http://www.digibred.com/product-reviews/digiplay-review-virtua-fighter-5-final-showdown

Edit: If I get one more message about how cheap Jacky is, I'll kill myself. The flip leaves me open. Sidestep it, block, counter, or use a reversal. It's not that hard!

I'm very new so probably don't want to play with me.. :p but if there are any other new players we should level up together.

Don't let the 2nd Dan fool you; I'ma push over.

I'd love to play with anyone, but I think I'm going into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber for a few days until I can get my execution straight.

Hilbert

Anyone interested in getting together on xbox for the next hour or so? I am free!

My gamertag is Formalism

Top Bottom