• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Yo Oichi, thanks for accepting my PSN friend invite. I may get my ass kicked if I ever play you, but it's an honor being on your friend list.

zlatko

Banned
I had a BLAST playing tonight. Only got about 5-6 games before I had to stop, but two of them filled me with pure joy.

1) Had a game where apparently the guy knew how to block high, but had NO clue how to block low. Won two rounds in a row doing nothing but lows. Final round he's about to lose just standing there trying to block, and he rage quits out right when it says KO. I laughed haaaard.

2) The second fight was a real treat. I have about 21 battles now. My opponent was an El Blaze with like damn near 400 fights and a ton of points lol. My goal going in was to take 1 round off him. Round 1 I get blown up. Round 2 I get blown up. Round 3 I manage to get it neck and neck, tiny bits left each, when I realize it's 10 seconds left and I have a sliver more than him. I avoid him the last 10 seconds and come out with the win.

Apparently that pissed him off, because the next round, he once again blew me up, but left me with a pinch of health as he still had almost full. He starts trolling doing the back flip move with El Blaze full screen as he backs off to burn time. Well he did one too many of them and back flipped himself out the ring. LMAO! I was dying of laughter.

Final round, me vs him. Super legit round and we each had a sliver left, he committed to a three hit move that whiffed and as he tried to back dash to safety I caught him with the big ol Brad Boot to win.

*fist pump* FUCK YEAH!

<3 this game.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Yo Oichi, thanks for accepting my PSN friend invite. I may get my ass kicked if I ever play you, but it's an honor being on your friend list.

No problem, I may set up a room with adverse sometime this weekend if he's free. I'll post in this thread before I do though. :)

mrpug

Neo Member
I live in Asia and finally made a JP account. Playing there has helped my game tremendously.

What I realized - US players are all abare abare abare.

While I find myself one of the less abare players on US servers, I feel like I'm one of the most abare users on JP servers. Players try to be a lot more patient and tactical and going against these kinds of guys has really paid off. They are usually really good at punishing, and I find myself finally playing a tactical game with counter hits, sabaki, and move/frame adv.

I finally feel like my Goh is turning the corner and I'm starting to "get" the game.

MightyKAC

I live in Asia and finally made a JP account. Playing there has helped my game tremendously.

While I find myself one of the less abare players on US servers, I feel like I'm one of the most abare users on JP servers. Players try to be a lot more patient and tactical and going against these kinds of guys has really paid off. They are usually really good at punishing, and I find myself finally playing a tactical game with counter hits, sabaki, and move/frame adv.

I finally feel like my Goh is turning the corner and I'm starting to "get" the game.

Damn, I live in Japan and it never occurred to try playing on JP servers before. I should really try this.

Shouta

Playing a bit more patient on the US servers is pretty nice. Plus, like no one breaks throws, though I do mix up which ones I'm using unless it's a particularly fodder-esque opponent.

DR2K

Banned
Playing a bit more patient on the US servers is pretty nice. Plus, like no one breaks throws, though I do mix up which ones I'm using unless it's a particularly fodder-esque opponent.

I break throws all the time.

With a low jab.

I rarely get throw attampted and when I do i just mash throw and a direction like it's a TAC from Marvel and I'm free.

mrpug

Neo Member
Damn, I live in Japan and it never occurred to try playing on JP servers before. I should really try this.

Lol, I'm puggernaut - remember me? We tried playing on the US servers and I felt it was laggier (plus harder to improve).

HK servers are actually fastest for me but the competition is sparse.

alstein

I break throws all the time.

With a low jab.

I rarely get throw attampted and when I do i just mash throw and a direction like it's a TAC from Marvel and I'm free.

That will get you killed if you step up in class.

With Aoi you'd get sabakied, maybe low reversed if you did that

Jeff has a harder time, but he could elbow into setting up stuff, or work in one of his crushes off a blocked 2P. Jeff kinda wants you to attack in disadvantage anyways, so you'd either get thrown eventually, or kneed.

I noticed the same thing, though for me it's char dependent. Aoi has to abare at high level, otherwise she just loses on damage output and lack of frame traps. She has the tools for it. Jeff wants to abare as little as possible, and his gameplan is to get folks to abare so he can knee.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese

i'll say again - i think the western world took chibita's words too seriously when he said "Defense!? I use offense!"

I too feel like i get way too many counter hits on ppl when i play

alstein

I just ran into an annoying cheapass Goh. Always started the round crouchdashing away a ton. I literally had to use Aoi's 9 P+K P, and running sweep to punish it. Thankfully the guy assumed everyone was as disrespectful as he was, so I could bait him into 2P's and either get low reversals or elbows. I was so tempted to send some hatemail (even though I swamped the guy it was pissing me off) but thankfully my saner side prevailed. I'm just mad I gave him a couple of games from frustration and couldn't put some fraud detection on him. If I was using Jeff I could have butt butted him and probably thrown his game off entirely, but I was using Aoi to work on her.

Generally, the first thing I check on someone random is how they abare, and try to work from that.

Still, guys like that can suck the fun out of this game. This is why I'm trying to learn Aoi, I'm not flashy, but reversals are flashy so I can at least do that. I feel like, at least locally, if I bore the crap out of people and win, they'll just ragequit. I did that once, I'm not trying to repeat the same mistake (I used a boring-ass Jeff in VF5, I think Jeff's a bit flashier this time, but I'm not sure it's enough for how i play).

I so wanna rage right now, and rage destroys my VF game (what's funny is rage helps my game in 2d)

Malajax

you can only get "stuck" at a Dan rank by not playing much. Hunter is where you can really start to get stuck. trust me, i know.

Use custom match instead of quick match. Makes it a bit easier to see who you're up against. Challenge only hunter rank or higher and you'll get exp to rank up.

Doesn't work if you lose too often though

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Thankfully the guy assumed everyone was as disrespectful as he was, so I could bait him into 2P's and either get low reversals or elbows. I was so tempted to send some hatemail (even though I swamped the guy it was pissing me off) but thankfully my saner side prevailed.
Dude are you high? If the guy can get to you like that, he's doing something right. Part of being good at fighting games is to not let things like that influence your game. Keep calm, you're playing games for fun.

I've been beaten a few times by "cheap tactics" but the only rage I had was toward me for not being able to find a way to work around it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Had good games (little lag) with Dizzy-4U, he beasted me though XD

alstein

Dude are you high? If the guy can get to you like that, he's doing something right. Part of being good at fighting games is to not let things like that influence your game. Keep calm, you're playing games for fun.

I've been beaten a few times by "cheap tactics" but the only rage I had was toward me for not being able to find a way to work around it.

Ah, I was using the VF definition of disrespectful. Basically, that means he kept falling for what I was doing, or didn't care that I was landing damage doing what I was doing.

I wasn't losing to his stuff. Often, with VF I get more frustrated by winning then losing. Again, complete opposite of other fighting games.

Shidosha

Ah, I was using the VF definition of disrespectful. Basically, that means he kept falling for what I was doing, or didn't care that I was landing damage doing what I was doing.

I wasn't losing to his stuff. Often, with VF I get more frustrated by winning then losing. Again, complete opposite of other fighting games.

yea it can be a pain in the ass when you are trying to teach someone indirectly and they just don't seem to get it.

kinda hinders the learning experience for both (in the sense that you don't learn how to adapt to someones adaptation)

"What's abare?"

Attacking out of frame disadvantage.

The best part of fighting someone who is clearly pressing buttons even though they shouldn't be is hearing non-stop "swoosh" sounds from failed sweep and (if they're a jacky/lau/pai/sarah player) somersault attempts. It just confirms everything you're thinking about them right at that moment.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Soooo they are disrespectul because they suck at the game/fighting games in general?

I just don't understand this line of thinking.

I keep reading about abare/frame advantage but it's not clear for me at all for the moment. Any online ressource that's good at explaining that stuff?

Shidosha

"What's abare?"

Attacking out of frame disadvantage.

The best part of fighting someone who is clearly pressing buttons even though they shouldn't be is hearing non-stop "swoosh" sounds from failed sweep and (if they're a jacky/lau/pai/sarah player) somersault attempts. It just confirms everything you're thinking about them right at that moment.

you know, i see that shit alot now that i think about it! SO MANY somersault spammers! yes, it hits hard on counter hit, but u know what hits harder and is safer? A COMBO!

alstein

Soooo they are disrespectul because they suck at the game/fighting games in general?

I just don't understand this line of thinking.

I keep reading about abare/frame advantage but it's not clear for me at all for the moment. Any online ressource that's good at explaining that stuff?

Abare= attacking when you're at frame-disadvantage. This is often bad because if the opponent expects this, add your disadvantage to the move's startup. If you are say -6 and attack with a low jab, your startup is 18f. Jeff's knee is 17f (slow attack). I expect this, I knee, you've taken 110 damage if I get the combo off (it's a CH on top, so if you're a middleweight or lighter, you get to see rare footage of me going for big damage)

Sometimes its makes sense though, like if you expect a throw, or if you expect them to press their advantage with a specific move, and you have something that beats it (like a reversal). What I was going with this guy, was I spotted a tendency of his to low jab back after certain moves, so I was low reversing in disadvantage. Low reversal of a low jab+ ground grab+ chop (ground grab is a 50/50 break, most folks don't even try)= about 75-80 damage. That's a big punish for a move that only does about 10 on CH. Sometimes I ate a big hit for this though, which did about 80-100 to me if I guessed wrong.

If this guy had sucked, I wouldn't have been mad, some players just aren't going to be good- hell, there are players who say I'll never be good and I never will be in their league. This guy could do big damage, it's just that he tried to troll and didn't try to play when the trolling wasn't working.

People abare a shit-ton when going against Wolf. Still, I tend to land throws on good players more often here than in Tekken (for much higher damage to boot), so it's all good to me.

zlatko

Banned
So I was starting to watch that 2 hour+ long video posted to help you learn VF, but it's a bit...well jam packed. Sort of wish it was broken up into sections.

I'll have to try watching again. I got about 10 minutes in before I got side tracked lol.

I at least learned about the whole guard canceling animations, and that you can do PP for a quick series, but if you do PGP it will do two individual P's.

rvy

Banned
It's sad when you suck so much that your opponent notices it and starts taking it easy on you, lol. I need to get better at this before I make a fool out of myself online.

Anyway, gg hiro. Sorry about leaving, but I have to watch some Euro 2012.

soakrates

So I was starting to watch that 2 hour+ long video posted to help you learn VF, but it's a bit...well jam packed. Sort of wish it was broken up into sections.

I'll have to try watching again. I got about 10 minutes in before I got side tracked lol.

I at least learned about the whole guard canceling animations, and that you can do PP for a quick series, but if you do PGP it will do two individual P's.
There are timestamps in the description.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yo, you ready to bring it?

Shit, I think my Vanessa can stand to go some rounds with Akira (got bored of Jean). Speaking of Akira, I tried him out in free practice. Guy's a real a-hole haha So many strong strikes that are lightning fast and totally leave you disoriented/sideways. Jebus. At least he has that high degree of difficulty but still.

So maybe tonight? Sorry I'm so unreliable but married life, you know how it is.

hiro4

It's sad when you suck so much that your opponent notices it and starts taking it easy on you, lol. I need to get better at this before I make a fool out of myself online.

Anyway, gg hiro. Sorry about leaving, but I have to watch some Euro 2012.

No prob! Gonna watch it myself too :)
I didnt take it easy on you! But I did notice some patterns that I did abuse :p.
But I wanted to do some experimenting that you punished quite hard haha!
I have to learn how to evade more efficiently :)

Let's play again.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
YT monsters are implying I should be level headed and not get salty when I lose. Makes sense on paper but how is that possible in practice!?

Xevren

YT monsters are implying I should be level headed and not get salty when I lose. Makes sense on paper but how is that possible in practice!?

You just can't do that! Doing that nonsense fullscreen, you're playing it like a single player game!

I say it's better to vent, even if it is out loud. Other wise you could get some sort of salty volcano eruption and go on a murderous rampage.

Kusano123

Neo Member
Nah man, it's not haunt if he doesn't rage. Plus, seeing you rage is what makes it more entertaining for us viewers. Stay salty!

galvatron

The Daily Blowup without salt? Nah son.

OMG, it was so funny when Haunts got fan mail after raging so hard against some of those guys and then felt bad about it. Even the salt has salt!

Haunts could pull a Max and put out a vid on it if it'll make him feel any better...Still, people watching the whole stream get that he doesn't mean it and people who don't never receive any hate mail so no harm done there.

Top Bottom