• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Daigoro

been meaning to mention, the music options in this game are great.

i cant believe how much music i remember from past games. i set it to VF2/3 music and i was amazed. cant believe i remember this stuff, but it really sticks.

just too bad its not fully customizable. it would have been nice to be able to create a playlist.

Doomshine

Since you're already doing PP, try PK and hold 4 (backturn). From there you can press P+K which is a mid that ends up in a counter hit more times than you would imagine. PP is good too though,esp near walls where you can a stagger on counter hit with the second punch.

The backturn moves do hit surprisingly often, 2p on counter hit gives you a free low throw too.

sonicmj1

I took as much of that advice as I could internalize after a training mode session, and went on a rampage in Ranked. I played 13 or 14 matches, and I only think I lost one of them.

Before, I was complaining that I couldn't really execute my turtle style in VF, but now I realize that this game is actually better for reading and reacting to an opponent than anything else I've played. Every strategy has at least one way to counter it, and it's almost never demanding in terms of execution.

Gotta try out that turnaround stuff. I'm dead if I face someone who can stuff my counterattacks.

ggs to daPheenom earlier. his Wolf is very strong, and as we all know... to be strong is... beautiful.
Thanks, and ggs to you too. I'm still struggling with the up close game, since I still don't have the correct options for situations embedded in me yet. I can sort of avoid that kind of thing when I have some space and/or the momentum. Onward and upward, I suppose.

AAK

Credit to noodalls from Tekkenzaibatsu:

Quickly with regards to the tech-roll. There is a 4F window to input a techroll. The rolls reflects when this input occurs, so if you hit your input on the 1st frame of the window, you will roll earlier than if you input your tech-roll on the last frame. Therefore, to best avoid combos, you need to hit the techinput on the first frame, otherwise you will be hit be non-guaranteed hits.

This affects okizeme as well.

4 frame window now makes sense. Now I understand why I happen to miss it so many times.

So, uhh tutorial 18 ("Evasion 2")..

Any tips? You're meant to get hit by the first kicks, then block the follow up, right? Seems impossible because of the massive hitstun. Is it a small frame window or something?

It's very difficult on a PS3 pad...

galvatron

So, uhh tutorial 18 ("Evasion 2")..

Any tips? You're meant to get hit by the first kicks, then block the follow up, right? Seems impossible because of the massive hitstun. Is it a small frame window or something?

It's very difficult on a PS3 pad...

According to LA Akira's UltraChen segment, you have to press the directions for the crouch dash about 4 frames before you press G. I think you might be able to start the motion while you're still in hit stun since the buffering is really forgiving in this game.

Ninjimbo

Who actually counts frames? Just input the commands as fast as you can. That's what I do for fuzzy guards.

By the way, I'm a Defender now. This game is soooo fucking great.

Xeno_V

Does anyone from EuroGAF have the game for both consoles? I am wondering where to buy it.. Which of the communities is more active? Is there any noticeable difference regarding the online play performance by the way?

rvy

Banned
Does anyone from EuroGAF have the game for both consoles? I am wondering where to buy it.. Which of the communities is more active? Is there any noticeable difference regarding the online play performance by the way?

I haven't seen anything major yet. As far as communities, I have had nothing but great matches on 360. I don't play PS3 online as much. There's probably no difference. VF players are a good bunch on either console.

Xeno_V

Ok thanks, I will have a look some time soon. I know that now the community is pretty active, but when it comes to Europe, I really have no clue what's going on at the moment.

Shouta

I'm up to 7th Dan with El Blaze now. I've had some good matches in ranked so far and a few low-jabbers that got up pretty high.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Woo!

Quick question, what combo were you using for counter hit knee's with Goh? Was something involving his 1p+k I think? Looked crazy and was curious.

Yeah: CH 6K, 1 P+K, P, 33P+K, 3P,P

or you can end it with 46P+K, P, 3P instead of 3P,P. I just have a real hard time landing 46P+K, P, 3P online for some reason so I usually do 3P,P instead.

Not sure about the weight classes, might be a better combo you can do to, it just came to me the other day and it works so yeah. :p

Xevren

Yeah: CH 6K, 1 P+K, P, 33P+K, 3P,P

or you can end it with 46P+K, P, 3P instead of 3P,P. I just have a real hard time landing 46P+K, P, 3P online for some reason so I usually do 3P,P instead.

Not sure about the weight classes, might be a better combo you can do to, it just came to me the other day and it works so yeah. :p

Yeah I usually just did P then his 46 chain, but yours definitely looks more stylish.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Maybe you already know this Haunts, but I've seen a few times where you could've had the kill with a shoulder after you knocked someone into a wall, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NYD4nwawFqE#t=148s

There's usually enough time to do it even if it seems like they are really low. Even if you're in a situation where it's too late you might get lucky and still get it if they don't tech.

Thanks for the tip. I am still really lost on what to do when near a wall. I usually go for wall throws but I was testing some of the wall combos yesterday so maybe I can whip those out.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I'm in the same boat really, I usually panic when I get a wall stagger and just throw out like a 3pp or something. I wish I had the presence of mind to pull off something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMiZJe7_6T0&feature=player_detailpage#t=40s

EDIT: ^Thanks for that google doc, I've been looking for something like that.

lmao I was practicing that combo last night. I just know my scumbag brain will blow it when the time comes. we'll see though gotta try it sometime.

Malajax

Got blown up online today. I'm probably a bit rusty, but it seems like I've gotten left in the dust for now.

Back in the lab I go.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Nice link Haunts, is there a chance that more similar documents are available for the rest of the cast?

I found it on the Goh forums on VFDC. Havent checked for many other characters. Seems kind of hit or miss depending on the character.

I'd offer up some Wolf advice, but my Wolf is straight gimmicks. It's working decently for now, but I really need to get better at the fundamentals.

@haunts: Dunno what was up with the lag. Maybe cross country was the problem?

Top Bottom