• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

zlatko

Banned
GG's again Xevren. Sorry our connections hate each other. Your Goh is wicked.

I really meant it when I said my Brad is 100% ass. I'm basically just playing like an idiot for now until I hit the rank at which I'm not winning more than losing. I feel that's when I'll have to start absorbing more information and really buckling down. Right now I'm just trying to get out of the ranked pool of people who are free to 2P. :p

Speaking of free---I'm fucking free as all fuck to all Goh players. I have NO CLUE how to approach this match up as Brad. Anyone have tips?

Also, the other two characters I'm genuinely interested in other than Brad are Jean and El Blaze, but I feel both are a significant amount harder execution wise than Brad. Doing charge stuff with Jean, and then El Blaze is all sorts of fucked up with his run in out and throw game. Jesus.

Any tips for Jean?

zlatko

Banned
What gives you problems versus Goh?

Complete lack of match up knowledge. Also, his side step move that dizzies you so you have to shake the stick or whatever to get out of it. I get bopped by that quite often and it sets him up for a free whombo combo on my ass so often.

Also, can I do anything about his weird command grabs when he floors me? I've tried to get up with PKG quickly, but still get snatched up by them 99% of the time.

Xevren whenever he confirmed damage on me would do about 40%+ of my health with his Goh, so after 2 mistakes(3 at best) the round was over. He seems quite damn good at punishing you quickly for a lot of damage.

Deps

GG's again Xevren. Sorry our connections hate each other. Your Goh is wicked.

I really meant it when I said my Brad is 100% ass. I'm basically just playing like an idiot for now until I hit the rank at which I'm not winning more than losing. I feel that's when I'll have to start absorbing more information and really buckling down. Right now I'm just trying to get out of the ranked pool of people who are free to 2P. :p

Speaking of free---I'm fucking free as all fuck to all Goh players. I have NO CLUE how to approach this match up as Brad. Anyone have tips?

Also, the other two characters I'm genuinely interested in other than Brad are Jean and El Blaze, but I feel both are a significant amount harder execution wise than Brad. Doing charge stuff with Jean, and then El Blaze is all sorts of fucked up with his run in out and throw game. Jesus.

Any tips for Jean?

I don't know anything about El Blaze, but Jean is very easy. I think hes a lot easier than Brad, especially at high level. Brads good combos/tech requires a lot of stance specific stuff. His charge stuff is pretty consistent between the different strings.

An easy bnb is
Lightweight: F+K, P, DF K+G, Back P+K, 33PK
Rest: F+K, UF K+G, p, down P+K, 33Pk
Heavy: UF K+G, 33PK

In general you can do his UF K+G then 33PK after any combo starters.

Best moves are: 66+P: His best move, a 15f mid. On block -8 but huge pushback. On hit youre +18 but its fake advantage. Your next hit is CH and you can do a simple mixup between another 66+P(mid) or 2KK (low).

33PK: Good long range mid. The followup is high, if you fully charge the punch you get a +6 on block mid. If you cancel the charge with k you get a low.

4KP: Great mid series for close. The punch followup can be hitconfirmed.

3PP: Two mids. -1 on hit but good pushback.

F+K, down P+K, df P+K: His launchers. F+K unsafe but fastest and leads to the most dmg. Other two are safe, but slow.

46P+K: His roll, good range. Leads to a stagger on hit so on most people can simply do a combo. If theyre good and can shake out, you at least get a mixup.

2KK/3KK: First is a low string, second is a mid string. Both have good range.

4PK/UF+K,P/up or upback K+G/forward K+G(can be charged)/1P: His tracking moves.

zlatko

Banned
I don't know anything about El Blaze, but Jean is very easy. I think hes a lot easier than Brad, especially at high level. Brads good combos/tech requires a lot of stance specific stuff. His charge stuff is pretty consistent between the different strings.

An easy bnb is
Lightweight: F+K, P, DF K+G, Back P+K, 33PK
Rest: F+K, UF K+G, p, down P+K, 33Pk
Heavy: UF K+G, 33PK

In general you can do his UF K+G then 33PK after any combo starters.

Best moves are: 66+P: His best move, a 15f mid. On block -8 but huge pushback. On hit youre +18 but its fake advantage. Your next hit is CH and you can do a simple mixup between another 66+P(mid) or 2KK (low).

33PK: Good long range mid. The followup is high, if you fully charge the punch you get a +6 on block mid. If you cancel the charge with k you get a low.

4KP: Great mid series for close. The punch followup can be hitconfirmed.

3PP: Two mids. -1 on hit but good pushback.

F+K, down P+K, df P+K: His launchers. F+K unsafe but fastest and leads to the most dmg. Other two are safe, but slow.

46P+K: His roll, good range. Leads to a stagger on hit so on most people can simply do a combo. If theyre good and can shake out, you at least get a mixup.

2KK/3KK: First is a low string, second is a mid string. Both have good range.

4PK/UF+K,P/up or upback K+G/forward K+G(can be charged)/1P: His tracking moves.

<3 you for this post. When I play again I'll use this as my basis in training mode to build up on.

Is there a site where information like this is common for character specific threads? I'm not sure where the VF community gathers around.

Xevren

<3 you for this post. When I play again I'll use this as my basis in training mode to build up on.

Is there a site where information like this is common for character specific threads? I'm not sure where the VF community gathers around.

http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/70/1/Dojo

This is the first VF I've really put any time into also, so I'm still pretty new. I'd say anything try to get out of the mashy habit and especially with those 2p's. 2p's are useful yes, but using them that much is just going to start a really bad habit.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/70/1/Dojo

This is the first VF I've really put any time into also, so I'm still pretty new. I'd say anything try to get out of the mashy habit and especially with those 2p's. 2p's are useful yes, but using them that much is just going to start a really bad habit.

I've been trying to stop doing 2P all the time since Vanilla. LOL.

-_-

Complete lack of match up knowledge. Also, his side step move that dizzies you so you have to shake the stick or whatever to get out of it. I get bopped by that quite often and it sets him up for a free whombo combo on my ass so often.

Also, can I do anything about his weird command grabs when he floors me? I've tried to get up with PKG quickly, but still get snatched up by them 99% of the time.

Xevren whenever he confirmed damage on me would do about 40%+ of my health with his Goh, so after 2 mistakes(3 at best) the round was over. He seems quite damn good at punishing you quickly for a lot of damage.

Can you record your matches or anything? He is good at dishing out big damage but just maybe scale back a bit adn do more safe stuff yourself so he has a harder time getting you.

Sloosha

Lei Fei army out in full force today on PSN. Good to get some match up practice against him since I usually fail miserably when facing one that knows what he's doing. I'm usually just mesmerized by his various stance changes.

d0c_zaius

The LATE Show is now on the air: twitch.tv/vfsocal. Or join the room by sending a message to VFsocal on Xbox Live

haha I got blown up. I don't think I won two rounds in a row.

Fun matches though.

Seems like 80% of what I do gets interrupted by their attack though.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
If you ever fight against jcs19 on xbox live, be sure you have your headset plugged in. He provides the most hilarious commentary. Made my night.

reposting that I'm looking for new players to play with on PSN NA(ErgoJames)

Will play on XBLA when I get better and buy a new fight stick for it.

Kerrinck

Is there anyway to completely remove voice chat from PSN? I sometimes play some really bad losers and they whine way too much.
On another note, if anyone wants to play some games, my psn id is Kerrick84.
Still learning to play the game, starting to think before smashing buttons.

Dachande

I'm up for games on either PSN on XBL in the UK evenings, 7PMish onwards. Aoi 95% of the time with occasional (terrible) Jean.

PSN: Dache
XBL: Orochidache

I have costumes on PS3, but not on 360... add me with a note about VF though, just so I know you're not a randomer.

Pookmunki

I'm up for games on either PSN on XBL in the UK evenings, 7PMish onwards. Aoi 95% of the time with occasional (terrible) Jean.

PSN: Dache
XBL: Orochidache

I have costumes on PS3, but not on 360... add me with a note about VF though, just so I know you're not a randomer.

I'll add you when I'm next on my ps3,need some local competition :)

Malajax

Had something like a 10 game win streak today online. My win ratio is closer to 50% now.

My fraudulent Wolf will be exposed when I reach Hunter :(

So I haven't really played a VF since VF 2, but I still picked this up and man I am LOVING it. God do I suck though. I ca never stick with any character and currently I alternate between, uh.... Eileen, Jacky and Sarah. Never have I played a game that just makes me rage as much as this game does though. Certain things just really throw me off and silly things that I can just never seen to get past. Shun di has this little forward up jab thing that people literally can just continue to do and my mind blanks and I just fail. I really need to just take my time, stick with a character or two and learn some patience.

PSN is echelon079 if anyone wants to add me.

Malajax

this game will make you rage hard if you get cheesed. i'm sure people are breaking their sticks regularly.

Speaking of which: I got my first hate mail!

Salty guy: Why scrub it out?
Me: I love the salt
Salty guy: Just what I'd expect from a bitch. Stay free

This dude fell for the same trick 3 times! I'd do a shoulder charge, he'd get hit and wouldn't ever recover from his fall. So I grabbed him every time. I guess it was lame of me, but he didn't have an answer for it, so why not do it again? After I won (and after he sent the salty message) , I ran into him again, but he declined the match.

Im cheesing over here. Had to be the best part of my day.

This dude fell for the same trick 3 times! I'd do a shoulder charge, he'd get hit and wouldn't ever recover from his fall. So I grabbed him every time. I guess it was lame of me, but he didn't have an answer for it, so why not do it again? After I won (and after he sent the salty message) , I ran into him again, but he declined the match.

It's stupid to fall for the same stuff when every character has a counter for just about everything.

Yeah, you fell for my bnb punch string for the 4th time. Learn to block, sidestep, counter, or whatever.

soakrates

Got up to Raider a minute ago. Ran into Shidosha and got beat pretty bad, but I also played a few against gl0ry85, another good Jean/Taka player and stole a couple before he mashed my face in with Taka. I gotta put some time in and figure out how to fight that fat bastard.

On another note, I'm finding it REALLY easy to get rusty in this game if I don't play enough. That, or everyone else is leveling up really fast. I do notice that some of my tricks aren't working like they used to.

Xevren

God damn this game <3

So jealous that people can put so much time in, I'm up to 3rd or 4th dan now. Just don't get enough time to play.

Hilbert

Here is one I got:

Kage player after I beat him 3-0 in a ranking match(I was playing el blaze: "Nice! But, You can do better. You can cheat your way to get ranked. No Offense, To your Favorite Character."

Me: "How so?"

Kage player: "Play Fair. Win the Right way."

Me: "No I mean how did I cheat?"

still waiting for a reply.

Xevren

Have to say that the community is incredible. I hear you guys getting hate mail but the amount of messages that I get that are just nice are just awesome. After having to deal with the online warriors in the capcom games and the like it's a great change of pace.

Hilbert

Have to say that the community is incredible. I hear you guys getting hate mail but the amount of messages that I get that are just nice are just awesome. After having to deal with the online warriors in the capcom games and the like it's a great change of pace.

I have gotten maybe 2 hate mails and about 20 good mails. I also make a point to send a positive message after any game. I think the community is pretty great in general.

MightyKAC

So before I picked up El Blaze I was getting owned up by a very good Blaze player something like 5 to 0. Now instead of sending my something like "Mash MOAR Brad n00b LOLOLOLOLOLOL" he sends me this.

xj3mwl.jpg

Constructive criticism?? From an opponent on PSN after losing 5 straight???

Is this real life???

My first piece of mail was hate mail, but it's been all love since then.

Been working on execution all day.. (first VF game)

got a couple of 75-90 dmg combos from a number of openers on Taka, I feel pretty happy with that so far. I can do them about 90% of the time, and even came up with some changes to the start of each one if i am too slow or the opponent is too far away.

Now to learn how to actually play the game.

Kusano123

Neo Member
this game will make you rage hard if you get cheesed. i'm sure people are breaking their sticks regularly.

It's even more infuriating when I get cheesed out by Pais or Jackys who only know how to play the one player game. Don't even know how to punish those annoying little twerps because of online delay. God damnit, I'm really close to hurling my joystick into the air.

Top Bottom