• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

SickBoy

Damn PSN. Took for granted the sale on the DLC and only grabbed one pack. Decided "what the hell, I'll get both" and now it's up to $14.99. Doh.

What's worse is my PSN wallet is about a buck and change short now.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
view their game card and mute them for life, or just put yourself in a party and then you dont have to listen to anyone if you dont want.

i get distracted easily so i just party up.

How exactly do you party up?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
isamu said:
Can one of you guys please tell me where I go to find my Win/Loss ratio for either ranked or player matches? I've looked everywhere and I do not see anything in the game that tells me how many matches I've won or loss. Help?

When you're in the ranked lobby (custom matches) it tells you your wins and losses on the right hand side.

Hmmm, all I see is "Battle Points" and "Games"

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
God damn this game <3

So jealous that people can put so much time in, I'm up to 3rd or 4th dan now. Just don't get enough time to play.

Pretty much. When I do play, I spend all my time in the lab just going through moves/combos with Vanessa. Even so, I don't see myself not playing this game in some capacity--it's my go-to fighter for the foreseeable future.

Got up to Hunter recently and now I'm at the point where I'm really starting to struggle.

I will keep at it because I don't really care if I loose as long as I can be competitive.

Anybody out there would like to tell me how to deal with Wolf's running shoulder charge. I fought a Wolf player tonight and I ate so many of those it was downright pathetic.

Got up to Hunter recently and now I'm at the point where I'm really starting to struggle.

I will keep at it because I don't really care if I loose as long as I can be competitive.

Anybody out there would like to tell me how to deal with Wolf's running shoulder charge. I fought a Wolf player tonight and I ate so many of those it was downright pathetic.

Block? I don't think it is safe on block. So you can probably punish it. You also try Sidestepping it if you think it is coming.

MightyKAC

You can really champion VF, without making jabs at Tekken, it's law.

I agree.

images

Fuck that guy.

bumpkin

Choreographed VF5FS fight! The crazy thing is that they did this all online too...

http://youtu.be/RQs2nQZlg8I
That was poetry in motion.

I got myself some space bucks today (MS points) and am seriously debating buying this game. Technically I already have it on PS3 via PS+, but my 360 is what I usually play my fighting games on; main reason being having a arcade stick. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

As a side note, I tried Jean Kujo. Really dig his style and combos.

There were also ranking battles that took place after the Tokyo Bay Area Cup tournament finished, Including Itoshun and Sarudera having a deathmatch for the Tenshoushin rank (the highest rank in the game) and then ranking battles for the God of Thunder rank featuring Joseph and I believe Homestay as well? It looked like his custom, but I can't read Japanese. There were a few others as well, so yeah, watch those vods if you want to see a lot of high level play.

alstein

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnd yep, there's a jab at Tekken in there, never fails.

You can make legitimate gripes at Tekken. Having four buttons is not one of those gripes.

Part of VF's problem is that it's philosophically a huge adjustment coming from most other fighters- there's a real emphasis on playing the person that you often don't get in other games. I think this is also why the game can be so rage inducing- losing in VF can be more personal if you let it get to you.

Having a bad day with VF5.

Tried to learn a bit of Jean, i can't land any of his launcher combos.

I try 6K -> 9K+G -> P -> 2 P+K -> 46PK

and the other variants on http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/323794/1

anyone have any idea how to get the down P + K to not cause a techable drop ? (its green) and they are not high enough for any of the follow ups to hit.

the thread said to do it as fast as possible but i cant do it any quicker.

I try 6K -> 9K+G -> P -> 2 P+K -> 46PK

anyone have any idea how to get the down P + K to not cause a techable drop ? (its green) and they are not high enough for any of the follow ups to hit.
I just started trying out Jean today as well and I tried out the combo you posted. It is kind of tricky. What I'm noticing is that you need to hit 2P+K immediately after P then delay just for a tiny bit before hitting 46P+K. If you hit 46P+K too early it won't come out at all. Here's a quick vid I just put together with my success and failures at trying to pull it off: http://youtu.be/o7s5fgv_2PE (uploading and processing; should be about 20 minutes)

I just started trying out Jean today as well and I tried out the combo you posted. It is kind of tricky. What I'm noticing is that you need to hit 2P+K immediately after P then delay just for a tiny bit before hitting 46P+K. If you hit 46P+K too early it won't come out at all. Here's a quick vid I just put together with my success and failures at trying to pull it off: http://youtu.be/o7s5fgv_2PE (uploading and processing; should be about 20 minutes)

Thanks. I tried to follow it, why do you have so many inputs for P K and G? I cant seem to do it like that, and even when i time it the same, i still dont get it to work.

Does it work on Jacky?

can do it on pai easily. maybe it just doesn't work on jean.

If you could do a video of you getting it to work on jacky or jean with the input display (not frame data, the one with the stick) that'd be amazing :p if you have free time. Uploading it to the virtuafighter.com forums might be very useful too, since it seems like jeans combos give lots troubles.

Shouta

After taking taking two days off, I've gotten up to Hunter. I'm still working on adding the El Blaze Rocket Discharge in there a bit more especially because the cart wheel is so damn good, thanks to Femto showing me.

I've gotta practice some Lau too though so he's back to 100% like when I was maining him in VF4.

If anyone wants to add me on PSN, my ID is

Rad Agast

Picked this up with the two costume packs on XBL a couple of days ago. Played arcade for a bit but that's about it. Haven't played VF seriously since 2 but I look forward to spending a lot of time on this one.

After taking taking two days off, I've gotten up to Hunter. I'm still working on adding the El Blaze Rocket Discharge in there a bit more especially because the cart wheel is so damn good, thanks to Femto showing me.

I've gotta practice some Lau too though so he's back to 100% like when I was maining him in VF4.

If anyone wants to add me on PSN, my ID is
Stickbug should have this weekends VF5FS tourny up. You get to see how I setup RD on meaty sometimes. Or, of 4PK. Got third place, and I was off as hell. Couldn't connect 3P+KP+G at all, I need that. And I was doing vanilla combos at times, lol. Need more time with the game.

Shouta

Stickbug should have this weekends VF5FS tourny up. You get to see how I setup RD on meaty sometimes. Or, of 4PK. Got third place, and I was off as hell. Couldn't connect 3P+KP+G at all, I need that. And I was doing vanilla combos at times, lol. Need more time with the game.

With the more patient folk, it's a little easier but it's really fitting it in with the folks that are just constantly throwing attacks out that is the issue. I do love getting RD combos though, can get some seriously sick damage off.

Three characters I seriously do not understand when to attack, AT ALL

1. Jean

It just seems like his series' keep coming. The only gap is the charge up punch/kicks but even that nails me before I can counter attack. Are you supposed to OM when he starts charging up?

2. Aoi

I just have no fucking idea.

3. Sarah

When she's in the one-legged stance I am doomed.

alstein

1. Jean

It just seems like his series' keep coming. The only gap is the charge up punch/kicks but even that nails me before I can counter attack. Are you supposed to OM when he starts charging up?

2. Aoi

3. Sarah

Sometimes you just have to guess and pick your poison, this is one of those things that makes this game different.

With Aoi, VERY few of her attacks leave her at advantage, but she can reversal/sabaki to get around that. That said, if you can predict which reversal/sabaki the Aoi likes, you can pick something to beat that. Aoi does piddly damage, so a big guess if you can make it 50/50 it's going to work in your favor.

Sarah you really do have to guess, as Flamingo has a ton of frame traps, and doing nothing means you eat a big grab eventually.

Jean is confusing because of those charges- I suspect he's stronger in lag a bit, as you have to interrupt some of his stuff.

Kerrinck

Is there anything special about rankings that I am missing? Just got myself to raider but whenever I try to challenge people of similar ranking (those rankings with starts) they always refuse,

1. Jean

2. Aoi

3. Sarah

Is Aoi just interrupting you with everything or are you getting owned by reversals? If it is the former, try be patient and fuzzy guard until she does something unsafe, like her high kicking launcher. For the latter, throw/low her more.

For Sarah, you can just 2p after her flamingo strings end.

alstein

Is Aoi just interrupting you with everything or are you getting owned by reversals? If it is the former, try be patient and fuzzy guard until she does something unsafe, like her high kicking launcher. For the latter, throw/low her more.

For Sarah, you can just 2p after her flamingo strings end.

Fuzzy is risky vs Aoi since she has low throw and Aois tend to go low plenty, which also defeats fuzzy. It's useful if you run into an elbow/throw-heavy Aoi, but only some Aois play like that. Also Aoi has plenty of delays and G-cancels, which can also make it risky.

With Sarah, you have to watch out for her 2P sabaki, she has a number of ways to punish 2P in flamingo. I learned that lesson the hard way in Vanilla.

Is there anything special about rankings that I am missing? Just got myself to raider but whenever I try to challenge people of similar ranking (those rankings with starts) they always refuse,

Could be they're also looking for a match and reloading, or that they're just scared of you. I do think there are a small handful of boosters on PSN.

Doomshine

1. Jean

Offensive move doesn't have any evasive properties as far as I know, so just evade. Those charge moves can be evaded to at least one side, but he can also cancel them to other moves. I'd suggest going through his moves in practice mode to see what his options are.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I don't like ranking mode, but when I can't find games in player match I play it. I am at about 150 games, and 10th dan. After I kill a hunter they always seem to back out when I meet them again.

galvatron

1. Jean

As a Jean player, my charge moves get blown up pretty badly by mashers.
Blocking a full charge against Jean is just about the worst thing that you can do since he has so many followups and even an unblockable on full charge in 33pk(charged).

Anything other than a full charge and you get your turn, as expected.
Once someone mashes through my delay a few times, I usually cancel my charges into low kicks, but then I'm the one who has to guess next since lows are negative on hit.

Also, what Doomshine said. Even his charged hooks are not half circular and can be dodge either direction.

bumpkin

So before I picked up El Blaze I was getting owned up by a very good Blaze player something like 5 to 0. Now instead of sending my something like "Mash MOAR Brad n00b LOLOLOLOLOLOL" he sends me this.

xj3mwl.jpg

Constructive criticism?? From an opponent on PSN after losing 5 straight???

Is this real life???
That's pretty crazy, I must say. Usually whenever I play fighters online and get taken apart, I expect some sort of smug/rude message to follow; especially after multiple consecutive losses. It makes you wonder if you'd have gotten a nasty-gram if the tables were turned though.

d0c_zaius

I entered a while ago , and thought I was going to do ok until I got blown up on the VFSocal stream.

Gonna be tough training this and 3 other games ...I'm prob just say F it to the rest and focus only on VF.

SickBoy

I know how you feel. Part of it was having a shitty night last night -- lost noticeably more than I won since Day 1 or Day 2 of the game's release. A lot of those were down to late Round 5, so I can be happy about that, but there are some high-level players who just ragdoll me around.

Part of my problem is that I've always played Virtua Fighter by feel. I've never gotten into the high-end frame counting stuff and I probably leave a fair amount of damage on the table in terms of combo potential. So there are some times I feel like I've connected more but I'm getting slammed because someone knows how to string together a combo that annihilates my bar. I need to learn whether I'm doing something wrong on rising, because I often feel like I'm getting smoked by non-ground attacks before I'm actually on my feet again.

Zezboob

2. Aoi

Hahaha.

The same for me.

So low and throw.... pfff, won't be easy, damned character. I have to keep it in mind.

For Sarah just the get out by back dashing, when you're at distance, since she doesn't have guard on flamingo stance, could be easy to punish. Well in fact I have no idea how I usually punish it in :D
Just don't do 2P.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The learning curve for this game is steep. Feel very overwhelmed.

I am trying to learn Jeff. Just so much going on really.

zlatko

Banned
The learning curve for this game is steep. Feel very overwhelmed.

I am trying to learn Jeff. Just so much going on really.

Pick Brad. 2P x infinity. They start to block low, do up forward with kick. They are wiser? Incorporate throws. No one knows how to tech in this game.

There's a 2 hour plus crazy good tutorial in this thread to pop your cherry.

I find this game 10000X easier to get into than Tekken though.

"Pick Brad. 2P x infinity. They start to block low, do up forward with kick. "

Why would they block low if you're only doing 2P? 9K is really unsafe and you don't even get much damage off it, this is not good beginner advice.

zlatko

Banned
"Pick Brad. 2P x infinity. They start to block low, do up forward with kick. "

Why would they block low if you're only doing 2P? 9K is really unsafe and you don't even get much damage off it, this is not good beginner advice.

LMAO. It'll get you to Dan status in no time. :p

Top Bottom