• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

It seems like UltrachenTV are doing specials on VF5 next week with LA Akira. I wonder if they'll get clearance from Sega and have an early copy of VF5FS instead of Vanilla.

It seems like UltrachenTV are doing specials on VF5 next week with LA Akira. I wonder if they'll get clearance from Sega and have an early copy of VF5FS instead of Vanilla.
Frank, the US producer hooked up LA and few other cats with the game and the right to sream it for hyped purpose.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
No surprise there. SoulCalibur players generally only play SoulCalibur.

Really? Seems like SC players don't really exist and 90% the competitive population is comprised of people waiting to play other games.

All the same, I don't see why hosting a VF lobby would mean anything in any other fighter.

"Tekken 7" in a SF IV lobby... Ok I guess. Why though?

Socreges

Banned
VF is the only fighting series I've been able to get into. I just really love the fundamentals and how it's more about using your smarts.

I actually don't like wall combos since they're one area where the series diverges from reality. The guy could hit the ground on his chest several times, but because he 'bounces' the combo can continue. I think that's a bit silly.

Haven't played since VF4, though. I think I'll basically be starting from scratch.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
hologram_spooby: HELL IN A CELL PAI VS GOH

steelbaz: haunts unleashing the rage on the n00b

:lol Haunts stream monsters in four hours of streamin.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That's quite the generalization about Tekken players.

Based on my Zaibatsu discussions over the years:

Block buttons are scary. Holding back to block's far superior. (Especially when you randomly walk backwards instead of guarding. That was a needed feature...)

One thing I'm worried about is whether increased popularity of the game will lead to a degradation of the community as the "SRK mentality" infects the community. Maybe it would be self-selecting, as I don't think the typical SF mentality leads itself well to learning VF.

Maybe this is the price of success, and keeping the series alive though.
You're putting the cart before the horse. Is VF suddenly mega popular? There are more people excited about DO friggin' A 5.

im quite pumped for this. i picked up VF5 on 360 cause i wanted to play something different and was hooked for a year+. This will be my first foray into the game playing arcade stick tho (actually used the 360 controller for vf and it worked alright for me) so it'll be some getting used to. I assume there will be a chatroom lobby of sorts for ps3 users? Either way, hoping that kage rides like an old bike, but im more excited for Jean. Probably mess around with Brad, Vanessa, and Goh. Oh who am i kidding, ill prob give everyone a shot again.

In case you were perhaps not notified, the Quest Mode equivalent is disabled w/o the item packs. :| So no customization, period, without them. That's fine to me, because I'm going to spend like an idiot, but it's worth notifying people.

I thought that was just a special versus mode, nothing else. If it's the Quest mode I might just buy it the packs. Do you have to buy ALL costumes to enable it?

Online is dead right now. LOL
W00t #9 in the world last night in score attack

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that was just a special versus mode, nothing else. If it's the Quest mode I might just buy it the packs. Do you have to buy ALL costumes to enable it?

Online is dead right now. LOL
W00t #9 in the world last night in score attack

Couldn't tell ya yet. None of the DLC is out yet! :(

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Tekken GAFfer spreading the love to all games:

GTFO all your high horses trying to look cool and start enjoying life by playing & supporting all fighting games.

<3 FGC.
I'm simply relating my past conversations with Tekken players. I think you're an outlier.

I try to play Tekken. TTT was the last time I played it enough to actually not get destroyed by competent players though. Robotically keep buying the new releases though.

AAK

I think you're an outlier.

That's what I thought. Stop generalizing everything on one thread you observed. Just because many of us are passionate about Tekken doesn't mean we are sworn to be at odds with everything else.

EDIT: And stop with the BS about "I try".. so you get beaten down by someone better than you. You practice and get better. It's not something unique with Tekken. You should see the games of KOF13 I did with some GAFers... I got OCV'd every match except one where I marginally got one round. I still have fun. If that makes me a robot to you, then whatever helps you sleep at night. Peace.

alstein

Tekken for me was a poor man's substitute for VF, I never liked how easy it was to shutdown offense in Tekken. That said, Jun, Michelle, and Kunimitsu look awesome.

I respect the skills required to play the game, but I think VF requires a different set of skills which are more fun.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That's what I thought. Stop generalizing everything on one thread you observed. Just because many of us are passionate about Tekken doesn't mean we are sworn to be at odds with everything else.
Now you're generalizing. Again, this is what I've observed on Zaibatsu for years.

EDIT: And stop with the BS about "I try".. so you get beaten down by someone better than you. You practice and get better. It's not something unique with Tekken. You should see the games of KOF13 I did with some GAFers... I got OCV'd every match except one where I marginally got one round. I still have fun. If that makes me a robot to you, then whatever helps you sleep at night. Peace.
Some games click with me better than others. Tekken doesn't really mesh well with how I like to play, so I really have no interest in blowing a ton of time on the games just to learn them in depth.

Robot? What are you talking about? I just said I buy every new Tekken game. I just don't have any real reason to do so since I don't especially like playing Tekken. I have MK as well and I've always hated MK's fighting system. Robotically = buying the games without thought. If I did, I probably wouldn't bother.

alstein

Some folks are just not going to like certain games. Tekken fans are so used to Tekken that VF mechanics are going to be like what KOF is to your average SF player.

(also applies in reverse- SF mechanics feel stupid to me because I started with KOF) I've given everything a chance this gen, except 3S.

That said, you never know until you try. I thought AH would be awful, terrible, fraudulent dreck but I ended up liking it last year.

AAK

Now you're generalizing. Again, this is what I've observed on Zaibatsu for years.

No, again I'm not the one who's generalizing. Yes I do recall some prominent users in particular on Zaibatsu like Nyawu among others talking trash about VF with his rhetoric and such but for him i can name many other prominent members that defended and even started with VF like Exalted, among many others. You're assuming because a certain handful of vocal people represent everyone. Hell, Ryan Hart started with Tekken and he also loves VF. I also know a bunch of posters on Zaibatsu that talked about certain aspects like the aesthetic in a negetive perspective and such but that's not equating to hating the game. So again, take this comment of yours:

Tekken players don't care about VF by definition.

And take it back to whatever abyss of bias you indulge in.

EDIT: And this is the last comment I'm having about Tekken on this thread. If you wanna discuss this futher PM me or meet me in the Tekken OT thread in the community forum. I've disrespected Oichi's thread enough. Keep it VF focused.

Kientin

Hmmm, coming from Tekken here it will be my first time playing VF in ages. I'm pretty excited though. I have no clue who I'm going to pick, I played King in Tekken so I'm thinking maybe Wolf. Though I might go with someone completely different as I swear I pick a different type of character between every fighter I've played.

Where do you guys feel the community will congregate? 360 or PS3?
Here's the thing, when VF5 dropped for the 360, a lot of us went and got the console of course. So know top players will be playing hardbody on the 360. And I'm talking about the US here. Speaking with the VA and NYC VF crew, it looks like most of our matches are going to be on XBL. But, I think there's going to be a lot of amazing new VF players on the PSN as well. And some vets are going to be more on the PSN as well. So either version is good IMO.

DR2K

Banned
but its not virtually the same, in many ways.

I would imagine since 360 already had an online VF, they would also already have an online community.

VF5 spent nearly a year on PS3 before X360. So the fanbase is definitely spread out, like most fighting games.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Special Sparring is a single-player mode where you fight customised AI characters, kinda like quest mode but without the quest, or like SC5's quick match thingy. I don't think there are any rewards/unlocks/achievements tied to it, it's just an extra mode for those with all the DLC (and I think you do need all of it).

alstein

was Tekken 5: DR worth it to you? been thinking of picking it up..

No point now, Tekken 6 is cheaper. No one plays DR offline and the online makes KOFXIII netcode look like Skullgirls.

Might as well get VF now and wait and see if TTT2 is worth playing when it comes out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The goal is to overwhelm your opponent so much that they'll send hatemail. Or so I thought so... It's part of the enjoyment of fighting games.

No. No it isn't.

*FGC needs to be like SC community.jpg.exe.7z.rar.dll.app.pbp*

But that's for another topic/non-derail.

Top Bottom