• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Mr_eX

I've been using a bunch of characters. Started with Jackie then moved to Lau now I'm thinking of maining Brad. I'm up to 3rd Dan in ranked with around 60 matches.

With Brad I'm super aggressive and most people don't know what to do when someone is putting the pressure on. I like to start with 4k then go into the duck stance and then do a mix of strings and throws.

I'm playing on PS3, my ID is SplaT if anyone wants to play. This is my first Virtua Fighter so I'm not great but I have played a lot of fighting games so I shouldn't be a pushover.

LakeEarth

Finally ventured online with Taka. Some killers, some people just pressing buttons. I was one of the latter.

Beat a Lion player who just did his double trip move over and over again, then started hitting you on the ground. Once I remembered how to tech, I was able to overcome and beat him. He response "fucking n00b". He was right, but seriously, all he did was that trip move over and over. How can that be your main strategy, lose, and then turn around and tell someone they suck?

Anyways, I should put some time into a character in training mode and really get good, know what's reliable, how to punish, instead of relying on slow huge damage normals that turn the match around in an instant if they hit. Too many lost matches because I dodged at the right time, but then completely whiffing my punishes.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Finally ventured online with Taka. Some killers, some people just pressing buttons. I was one of the latter.

Beat a Lion player who just did his double trip move over and over again, then started hitting you on the ground. Once I remembered how to tech, I was able to overcome and beat him. He response "fucking n00b". He was right, but seriously, all he did was that trip move over and over. How can that be your main strategy and then turn around and tell someone they suck?

Anyways, I should put some time into a character in training mode and really get good, instead of relying on slow huge damage normals that turn the match around in an instant if they hit.

whats his name? he on XBL? FIND HIM FOR ME *sinister smirk*

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Great stuff but wonder how many of those were due to the freebie for PSN+.
Im sure that SEGA gets some money from the PSN+ thing too.
But yeah awesome stuff!!

Mr_eX

Once I remembered how to tech, I was able to overcome and beat him. He response "fucking n00b".

The other day I was called a noob for blocking too much.

How do you tech in this game? I'm sick of giving up a free hit everytime I get knocked down.

How do you tech in this game? I'm sick of giving up a free hit everytime I get knocked down.

P+K+G when you hit the ground with tech in place. Hold a direction and you will roll in that direction. Some moves are untechable though.

Shidosha

I'm going to stream some Final Showdown right now for XBLA - come join if u want. Twitch.tv/shidosha

bumpkin

I'd get called a noob a lot then... I'm very much a block and counter attack kind of guy. Either that or try and get them to whiff on a move and then punish. It used to drive my friends nuts how much I'd dash forward and backward trying to bait them into attacking.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
But I have found new love in Lau Chan. Im fierce with that mofo, is he considered low tier amongst you fighting nerds?
Tiers are a little more fuzzy in VF than they are in some other games. Anyone can have a good/bad day. Just play who you like. The tier stuff is really only used for bragging rights among the supernerds who want to say they mastered Akira.

K.Sabot

That feel when you beat a 550 win "Barbarian" rank as a 8th kyu with only 6 games of VF (since VF1) under my belt.

SO GOOD.

SickBoy

Beat a Lion player who just did his double trip move over and over again, then started hitting you on the ground. Once I remembered how to tech, I was able to overcome and beat him. He response "fucking n00b". He was right, but seriously, all he did was that trip move over and over. How can that be your main strategy, lose, and then turn around and tell someone they suck?

As the first recognizable GAFer I've seen online, I couldn't help but challenge you last night (Raider/Hunter level Lau, FisheyeLens). Wasn't really thinking about rank and it was refreshing to go up against Taka, who I've only seen one other time in about 300 matches. (And you were better than a lot of the people challenging me earlier in the night, although I got caught up with some better-than-me high-level folk and got demoted later in the evening)

As for complaints like the one you received, I don't know what some people expect. To me, if you use a repetitive strategy, especially one that's pretty high-priority, you're probably going to get a repetitive counterattack in return. If you're not at least changing up your timing and that sort of thing, it can make a match awfully one-dimensional.

Shidosha

GGs to all i played earlier. My losing streak continues :/

I hope to shake off the stupid come evo - but shouts to everyone, especially the top players for giving me a headache.

Taka FTW

LakeEarth

As the first recognizable GAFer I've seen online, I couldn't help but challenge you last night (Raider/Hunter level Lau, FisheyeLens). Wasn't really thinking about rank and it was refreshing to go up against Taka, who I've only seen one other time in about 300 matches. (And you were better than a lot of the people challenging me earlier in the night, although I got caught up with some better-than-me high-level folk and got demoted later in the evening)

Cool, I didn't realize. Did you destroy me 3-0 or was that another Lau? Either way, I'll keep an eye out for ya next time. I'll probably hop online again tonight, after spending some time in training.

I wish at least one person online would be afraid to press buttons for once.
I think their strategy is to keep hammering on those buttons (low punch FTW) and if you loose call your opponent "A fucking Noob".

To continue the talk of Lol worthy opponents, met a Jacky player whose only move he seemed to know was the back somersault. He was quite happy to do his flip even when I was halfway across the stage laughing my arse off at him.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

You mean mash? A lot of guys don't appreciate the sweet science of measuring your range and defining the pocket.

zlatko

Banned

rAWgJ.gif

Your tears. They taste so good.

zlatko

Banned
If you're one of them, I hope you and your bloodline develops multiple sclerosis.

How does one deal with 2p?

Seems like 2p is the only way.

I'm an avid believer in 2P with my Brad.

Really though, my brad can only do about 2-3 2P's, before he has to do 2 K, then he can restart the P's. There's a gap there for recovery on the kick where you can punish. I'm sure someone else can figure it out, but I imagine it's something like wait for 2-3 2P's, then do whatever you have that goes over lows and hits mid.

Brad has up forward + kick, and while it isn't safe, if you know they are fishing for 2P nonsense and you space them back up you can do that to get them on their ass.

LakeEarth

Newb question, why do some chains seem to be non-comboable? Is that common? Just an example, Taka has a PPPPPPPPP chain where people tend to drop out. It's hitting, but they start blocking out halfway through. I'm too used to SF mechanics.

"Newb question, why do some chains seem to be non-comboable? Is that common? Just an example, Taka has a PPPPPPPPP chain where people tend to drop out. It's hitting, but they start blocking out halfway through. I'm too used to SF mechanics."

There is the concept of "natural combos" in 3D fighting games. Some strings don't actually combo all the way on normal hit. Some will combo on counter-hit only.

LakeEarth

There is the concept of "natural combos" in 3D fighting games. Some strings don't actually combo all the way on normal hit. Some will combo on counter-hit only.
Thanks for the response. One of my big weaknesses is not recognizing and thus not taking advantage of counter-hits when I get them. Maybe this will help.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
If you're one of them, I hope you and your bloodline develops multiple sclerosis.

El Blaze can eat down punches alive with Up+P+K.
Lion can do Up+k.
Many characters have specific moves that will deal with down punches very soundly.

SickBoy

I've determined that I am, indeed, too vain to screw around with my numbers as Lau... just recovered the password on my other PSN account (used to share with friends so we could make Buzz quizzes) so I can play around with some other characters I'm much less accustomed to using (i.e: it's been since vanilla VF4 since I've used Shun or Kage)

Cool, I didn't realize. Did you destroy me 3-0 or was that another Lau? Either way, I'll keep an eye out for ya next time. I'll probably hop online again tonight, after spending some time in training.

It was either 3-0 or 3-1. Wouldn't call it "destruction" either way -- you got a few licks in.

You mean mash? A lot of guys don't appreciate the sweet science of measuring your range and defining the pocket.

I want to beat my head into the table every time I misjudge range and wind up directly in front of my opponent on a silver platter.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm an avid believer in 2P with my Brad.

Really though, my brad can only do about 2-3 2P's, before he has to do 2 K, then he can restart the P's. There's a gap there for recovery on the kick where you can punish. I'm sure someone else can figure it out, but I imagine it's something like wait for 2-3 2P's, then do whatever you have that goes over lows and hits mid.

Brad has up forward + kick, and while it isn't safe, if you know they are fishing for 2P nonsense and you space them back up you can do that to get them on their ass.
Man, even I know this isn't the way to go.

Xevren

Depends on character, I don't know all the characters but all I have played have a low crush move. Usually something aerial. With Goh I can just low counter and have some fun. 2p spammers are like fighting flowcharters in sf4.

Shidosha

how to deal with 2p?
sidestep, 6p, but the best option... GUARD!!! remember guys, 2p is -5 on block which means if they try to whore it out again you can elbow them! (6p)

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Anyone know an Aoi specific answer for 2p? My elbows seem to be getting stuffed after I block one.

Forward, Back+P will sabaki a down punch I think.

If they are really consistent throwing out some Down+P+K will hopefully get them to think twice.

alstein

Anyone know an Aoi specific answer for 2p? My elbows seem to be getting stuffed after I block one.

I'm thinking this might be elbow/2nd elbow, in which case your second elbow if you're doing 6PP is high, which makes the 2p beat it out.

You could do 6P+K P to counter this, or 6P, and one of the 2p counters listed above (or qcf+P+K) into 2KPP if the 2P is sabaki-ed.

Lion has 8P+K_K, I like 8P+K better even though it gives nothing on counter hit unlike 8K, it wall splats and will ring out on half wall stages.

Universally, elbow beats it on block, offline. Online you kinda have predict when it coming and backdash or low crush it.

Kerrinck

Finally had my first bad experience on psn, had to happen sometime. Lost against someone twice and on the third time as soon as I won the douche disconnected. Will try to avoid the red faces now.
On a happier note, finally learned to punish those damn dick punches with my eileen.

Brand new player to the VF series, only played a handful of 3d fighters, mostly 2d.

Anyone in the same boat as me and want to play some matches on PSN to get used to the feel without too much stress? I play Jean, Taka and I guess Wolf.

PSN is ErgoJames, you can add me now, I'll be playing later tonight.

Top Bottom