• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

In order to start with Brad, you need to know that 6P is your game. It stops low jabs, it'll combo into K, and if blocked you can switch stances.

Also, as a beginner Brad, do not switch stances in front of the opponent. You're not going to fool anyone.

9K is good as a combo ender. But if you use it to punish low punch, you've wasted a counterhit combo opportunity.

Should VF-GAF help you train up?

Please! I've got that 2 hour tutorial vid bookmarked, been looking at that and want to train serious over the next week. I like pretty much all the cast but Jacky has been my main since VF1. Played a lot of VF5 and been transitioning, what I need are damaging combos and a better grasp of the underlying new mechanics (stuff like fuzzy guard). Played a bit online and there was this one Jacky player who used a minimum amount of moves and just read and devastated everything I did. I want to get there, just the right tools and be in control of everything.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bought the character items even for characters I'm never going to use. :lol Going through the customization mode is kinda theraputic. Made a somewhat decent Vanessa out of it. I'm kinda pissed I can't mix and match certain parts of outfits because they're all "types" and certain types get certain items. It's like "really, Sega?"

Bought the character items even for characters I'm never going to use. :lol Going through the customization mode is kinda theraputic. Made a somewhat decent Vanessa out of it. I'm kinda pissed I can't mix and match certain parts of outfits because they're all "types" and certain types get certain items. It's like "really, Sega?"

Yeah, I hope that Sega frees up the items in the next VF, so that we can mix and match stuff between one big pool of items. I'd love to be able to tweak item colours too. AM2 needs to take a page out of the Tekken devs' book for once or something.

Please! I've got that 2 hour tutorial vid bookmarked, been looking at that and want to train serious over the next week. I like pretty much all the cast but Jacky has been my main since VF1. Played a lot of VF5 and been transitioning, what I need are damaging combos and a better grasp of the underlying new mechanics (stuff like fuzzy guard). Played a bit online and there was this one Jacky player who used a minimum amount of moves and just read and devastated everything I did. I want to get there, just the right tools and be in control of everything.

You can go to VFDC for combos.

Fuzzy guard has been around forever, not really hard to learn though, just tap down while guarding.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
So I haven't really played a VF since VF 2, but I still picked this up and man I am LOVING it. God do I suck though. I ca never stick with any character and currently I alternate between, uh.... Eileen, Jacky and Sarah. Never have I played a game that just makes me rage as much as this game does though. Certain things just really throw me off and silly things that I can just never seen to get past. Shun di has this little forward up jab thing that people literally can just continue to do and my mind blanks and I just fail. I really need to just take my time, stick with a character or two and learn some patience.
I'd suggest sticking with Sarah for a bit. She hasn't changed as much since VF2 in comparison to other characters, so she'll be familiar territory. Not saying nothing has changed... everyone has changed... but you can still rely on her punch-kick combos, shadow kicks, elbows, and leaping knee to get you out of a bind. Flamingo stance has changed dramatically, but you don't have to get into that to learn the ropes with her.

Jacky is also as cheesy as always, but they've really enhanced his punching and countering techniques. It's more than just waiting the whole match to counter with the haymaker, lightning kicks, and flip kick now.

For Sarah just the get out by back dashing, when you're at distance, since she doesn't have guard on flamingo stance, could be easy to punish. Well in fact I have no idea how I usually punish it in :D
Some of Akira's and Lau's lunging palms will work. Jeffry's forward push kick also has a lot of range as do Lion's lunging sweeps, but those are very slow. No one's going to just stand there. Maybe you can get some suckers with a bad connection, but if they have a bad connection, they're probably not going to pick Sarah in the first place.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

It's not preference, but it keeps the clipping and "mysteriously floating 6 inches above the body" jackets, capes, and other items to a minimum, unlike Tekken, which is horrible at this, and Soul Calibur, which has less, but still too many.

If they do improve the customization in VF6, I hope they skip the Tekken page, and go straight towards the Soul Calibur Chapter, while still keeping their personal design strengths in mind.

alstein

Hahaha.

For Sarah just the get out by back dashing, when you're at distance, since she doesn't have guard on flamingo stance, could be easy to punish. Well in fact I have no idea how I usually punish it in :D
Just don't do 2P.

Really good Sarahs can anticipate the backdash and punish with a few things. There really is no easy-mode escape from flamingo, it's best to try and keep her from starting it up, but without getting so petrified you open yourself up to other stuff. Ultimately , good fundamental defense is your best defense, and a 10f jab helps.

Most of my defensive training in VF5 came from playing some of the top Sarahs on XBL back in the day.

Shouta

Everyone loves the dick punch.

Creating room and tagging him before Brad comes in our using a move with a tech crouch built-in works as well.

Deps

I've been learning Brad to learn to fight him better. Basically, if they go into a stance on block, you can interrupt PPPP string with almost anything. The exceptions being if they go into a stance from P+K(high, hard to setup) and 4K(great move, but most don't use it). Other stuff to watch for is his ducking K+G which goes over lows/2p, but on block is -10. If he goes into it from a hit, you have to guess.

d0c_zaius

got whupped by skilletors Vanessa. Not sure I know how to play the game anymore...but its still fun!

these next two weeks are going to be rough

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but all I can find is VF5 vanilla stuff.
Go into VF5 Akira or any other character. At the bottom of their screen, there is an option to go to the PS3 or XBOX 360 move sheets for VF5 (Rev A or B). Then use the drop down for the version at the top of the move sheet to select VF5 Final Showdown. That will give you the move sheets for Final Showdown (even for the new guy).

So I lose when I am on the offensive because I freeze up and start blocking, and lose on the defensive because I suddenly don't want to block.

What's up with that?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Finally played ranked online for a bit, generally got my ass handed to me, won like 2 matches and another I should have won but got caught up in the Brad show. The highlight was doing Intruder Step on that Brad, picking him up and tossing him to the ground and then pounding his face in for a win. Best part is that this all happened on ring edge so the last punch made his unconscious body fall out of the ring. Sooo satisfying.

So yeah. I'm up to all of 32 matches or so on ranked. *cough* Still, I notice this game can get my blood boiling just like Street Fighter has for years now. I consider that a sign of greatness. Also, being unfamiliar with character attacks really is a huge problem.

Endo Punk

No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get anywhere with Vanessa my wifu. I just can't click with her fighting style. But I have found new love in Lau Chan. Im fierce with that mofo, is he considered low tier amongst you fighting nerds?

I have poor internet so I've been playing against the AI on the hardest setting for hours. I know it's not optimal since a cpu doesn't think like a human but I figure I at least will get better with punishes. Found the combos on VFDC per character and have been watching high-level player vids.

Any links to good Jacky play would be appreciated!

Endo Punk

Does anyone else feel the jumping attack when apponent is lying on the floor is broken? Sometimes it even connects when Ive just stood up from a fall.

ran into other brad players today, mine feels so gimmicky :(
Learn from it! I have yet to face a Lau that's better than me. Im still pretty good with Lion though need plenty practive with him.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I don't know why but when I search for custom games (Ranked) on XBL there is only ever like two people on. Surely there would be at least a few hundred people on at any time?

alstein

Just played someone cross-country. Felt really laggy on PSN.

Tempting me to get a 360. If MLG carries VF here and I don't end up hitting a major in August, I may just do that.

Belenos

Banned
So after finally finishing Dragon's Dogma yesterday I got to play this today and man is it fun. Last 3D fighter I played was Tekken 3 but I'm having so much fun even if I don't really know what I'm doing.
I've only tried like half of the cast so far and I totally love Pai Chan, she's so fun, have to try the rest of the characters but I think she'll be my main.

I wasn't a fan of watching this game on stream but after playing it all day today I really enjoyed watching it on WNF.

This is the latest tier list.

:(

Not that tiers matter that much. The gap between characters is still extremely close.

:)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've been learning Brad to learn to fight him better. Basically, if they go into a stance on block, you can interrupt PPPP string with almost anything. The exceptions being if they go into a stance from P+K(high, hard to setup) and 4K(great move, but most don't use it). Other stuff to watch for is his ducking K+G which goes over lows/2p, but on block is -10. If he goes into it from a hit, you have to guess.
Even better, he can throw from ducking too.

What's everyone's favorite soundtracks? VF1 is a classic, VF4 is probably my favorite but been really digging VF5R's lately. Favorite tracks are VF1: Jacky, VF4: Pai and Lion, VF5R: Wolf.

Doomshine

Does anyone else feel the jumping attack when apponent is lying on the floor is broken? Sometimes it even connects when Ive just stood up from a fall.

What do you mean? As far as I know it can still connect if you haven't fully stood up yet, after that you should be able to block it.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
I've reached 700 Ranked online fights (PSN), and I'm really excited to see that there are so many great players. I hope the online part remains as strong as it is now.

The FS ost is one of the best the series ever had (love the new El Blaze theme). From past VF games, I never get tired of hearing VF2 Lau's theme, Lion's theme, Akira's theme. From VF3 I love Taka's theme, Pai's theme and Lau's theme. But my feelings about VF5R ost are mixed up for the moment. I think VF5FS ost > VF5R ost. Also, I'm very glad that SEGA included Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's song in the Arcade Credits.

alstein

I really wish Sega had given us the choice by character- I have to pick and choose which favorite themes I want.

I love some of the older themes, but love some of the newer ones as well.

BTW how busy is this game over on 360 for those who have that version? After last night, I'm seriously considering getting a 360 now just for the better netcode.

"BTW how busy is this game over on 360 for those who have that version? After last night, I'm seriously considering getting a 360 now just for the better netcode."

Having played on both, there's no noticeable difference.

Dachande

"BTW how busy is this game over on 360 for those who have that version? After last night, I'm seriously considering getting a 360 now just for the better netcode."

Having played on both, there's no noticeable difference.

Agreed with this. The 360 netcode seems pretty much identical to the PS3 netcode in my experience.

Top Bottom