• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

So if there is one thing I am complete ass at it's teching throws, how do you guys who have been playing awhile do it so well?

Basically find out which character's best throw is and TE that one. If you see them doing other throws, maybe the same throw over and over, start TEing that one. In the past it was a lot easier to cover certain throws while covering others because you could do multiple TEs, so like against Wolf I'd usually hammer in 6+P+G, 4+P+G and maybe back to 3+P+G if my reflexes were up to it at the time. Kage you don't even care what else hits you, you know to TE 4+P+G like your life depended on it. If you were really quick you could input 4TEs and negate Lei Fei's throwing altogether (he only had 4 directions).

Now, in FS, you can only TE once, so it's good practice, at the very least, to TE whichever throw does the most damage or has the best follow-ups. If most of their throws have negligible differences in damage or utility between each other, find the direction that the most throws end in and just TE that out of habit.

Just remember that this can play into a mindgame where your opponent might expect you to do this, so they'll use different throws, maybe even the same throw over and over, then you start TEing that one and BAM, giant swing forever. Frankly, you don't always see a LOT of TEing anymore because of the 1/3 guess and because, if you know they're going to throw you and its not a guaranteed throw situation, you're better off using a strike (launcher? ;) ) to counter the throw attempt.

Doomshine

So if there is one thing I am complete ass at it's teching throws, how do you guys who have been playing awhile do it so well?

I've had a surprising amount of success teching throws once I got into the habit of holding p+g while blocking. I think forward throws usually do the most damage so I start out with that and if they mix it up I start changing the direction.

Shouta

But she does have alot of tourney experience - the fact is that she beat herself mentally. I told her this at the pre launch party months ago, she needs to stop beating herself before a match. She's not weak - she could use alot of work but seriously she's better than rip by far. I don't know if the mic picked it up, but right after she screamed I yelled "got dammit zerochan..."

I was not expecting her to lose

I played a set or two with Zero-chan before her block started, and yeah she probably beat herself up mentally. I'm pretty sure she realizes it too. If she were a little more aggressive with her play, she'd be definitely be a lot more dangerous

On top of that, it probably is a big ego blow to lose at Evo to someone you consider a "random scrub", especially when the last round is a random ringout.
He's hardly a random scrub though. Sure, he doesn't know the ins and outs of VF but he's a very competent Tekken player who probably has a lot more tournament experience since Tekken has generally had a healthier scene than VF. He may not have the best VF experience but, based on his Tekken play, he has solid general fighting game fundamentals and he uses his experience to try and break down Tekken (with others) on a Youtube show. That's hardly a "random scrub."

i always feel bad when i beat a high ranked player. sometimes mixing basic combos and giving them a random, but almighty down P is enough to do that. it's like i destroyed all of those high hopes they had when coming into my dan room.

i lost to some hitler lau recently. i didn't even know that one was possible. it was humiliating.

any advice vs runaway shun? i meet plenty of people that run away with him and just wait. i need some kind of fireball.

soakrates

This is pretty cool

LA Akira is going to personally give $50 to the highest-placing new player at WNF. Also, if they win a game against him in the tournament they'll get $10. Win two and they'll get $20.

I like this a lot. Not many people will put a bounty on their own heads to attract new players. Hopefully it works!

AAK

Anyone want to play on psn at this time?

Edgeward34

gonna be on for an hour.

What region are you? I'm down for some games.

This is pretty cool

LA Akira is going to personally give $50 to the highest-placing new player at WNF. Also, if they win a game against him in the tournament they'll get $10. Win two and they'll get $20.

I like this a lot. Not many people will put a bounty on their own heads to attract new players. Hopefully it works!

Damn, that's awesome.

Morris

Disco Devil
This game is fun yo

We need more people on Edgeward's room, come play~ Edit: nvm we stopped playing :c

My Eileen isn't as free now!

Edgeward

GGs, been away from VF for a while and took a while to get back into things. Still need to learn how to covert juggles to better damage.

alstein

Query for Virtua GAF, at least those who live on the East Coast:

should we all aim for one tourney, maybe NEC, since that will get the most VF support? (go to more if you can, but I have to choose one due to work)

Sloosha

^Just got bodied by your Jeffrey in ranked. :(

Taken a week off from VF and feel like I can't play the game anymore.

EDIT: Played your Aoi as well.

alstein

^Just got bodied by your Jeffrey in ranked. :(

Taken a week off from VF and feel like I can't play the game anymore.

EDIT: Played your Aoi as well.

my Aoi has gotten terrible lately- I'm trying to play her like Jeff, but angry black man knees just don't happen with adorable. Some of that is I'm aiming for the realistic goal of becoming best Jeff main out there- at least on US PSN. (might be by default these days, especially after Kamais disappointed me at EVO)

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
I am dropping taka :) - nightmare pai will return for MLG!

Also I'm happy to see virtuaGAF so active! Real nice

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
When is it an ideal time to hit a launcher?

the moment you spot a punishable offense i would go for it. you can force them with attack baits (throw out a move to bait a response, move out of range and respond with launcher) or just make a good read either off a string or a good guess and go for it.

only go for it when you know it will connect tho

GrayFoxPL

Had a great day! Dropped from defender to hunter because I wanted to leave Lion for a while and go back to Jean. Great idea!

Dropping both of them tomorrow and starting Akira/Kage. :p

STG

played after nearly 2 weeks the first time again and got my ass kicked so badly

I love this game so much but right now I wanna kick it in the face, can't find anyone online, and when I find one I get murdered

also doesn't help that I am on NAT3

LakeEarth

played after nearly 2 weeks the first time again and got my ass kicked so badly

I love this game so much but right now I wanna kick it in the face, can't find anyone online, and when I find one I get murdered

Me too, I gotta fix that shit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Bridge your modem or port-forward. That'll solve the NAT issue quickly.

Soakrates said:
If VF gets enough participation at recognized local, regional, and national events by December, 2012 - it makes the roster for Evo 2013.

Good luck with that. I don't think my local area (North Florida) is popular with anything that is not a Capcom title. :/ Fucking SRK kids...

SickBoy

Played last night for the first time in a while and ranked up to Barbarian. Yay!

So what's the deal with people ringing themselves out on purpose? I had two people do it last night, which was odd. Does it mean anything or are these people just oddball? The first guy was higher rank than me and probably better overall, and he did it two straight rounds after going up 2-1. The second guy was lower ranked and I gave him another stab at me after he came ridiculously close to beating me in our first match, because maybe I was experimenting too much. In the rematch I was a little more ruthless, so maybe he just didn't want to take the beatdown.

Some people annoy me with challenges -- I lost twice to the same Jacky last night and I'm not going to use any excuses... he beat me fair and square -- but the connection was subpar and I don't get any joy playing with semi-regular slowdowns, win or lose (indeed, I'd say I've won more than I've lost on poor connections and I don't take any pleasure in that). This guy keeps challenging me for the entire time I'm online, every time he sees me. WTH, dude? If I had a keyboard I'd have explained myself, but I just kept turning him down :)

Likewise, I think there's room for some etiquette. Close matches? Challenge away! But it annoys me when I play a higher level player and lose in three decisive rounds, only to have them rechallenge and rechallenge some more. If you're destroying me 0-3 0-3, let me be the one to decide whether I want to challenge you for some more.

It's generally not a big deal to reject a challenge, but when people hound you it's a pain in the ass. Especially when you catch a glimpse of someone that you'd prefer to play who's on the same ranking tier as you... meanwhile Johnny 56K or Grand Master Akira is on your case. I've missed a few matchups that way...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Watching Fuudo at EVO inspired me to pick up Shun Di. Was just messing with him in the lab. Think I will actually dedicate myself to him as my secondary. And one day soon I will actually play online! Really. I've had maybe one good session this whole time. :-(

ranked up to hunter somehow. hunters and raiders don't seem much stronger. can you rank down from hunter?

it was fun and less ragey today, but i notice the same 50 names online and not much change. this game needs more players.

GrayFoxPL

ranked up to hunter somehow. hunters and raiders don't seem much stronger. can you rank down from hunter?

it was fun and less ragey today, but i notice the same 50 names online and not much change. this game needs more players.

Can't rank down from hunter.

Yeah, I see the same faces, not even 50. Online is dying.

alstein

Can't rank down from hunter.

Yeah, I see the same faces, not even 50. Online is dying.

Are you on XBL or PSN? Heard XBL is basically killers only and illuminati, but PSN seems pretty active at peak and semi-peak times. It is empty in the mornings though.

GrayFoxPL

Are you on XBL or PSN? Heard XBL is basically killers only and illuminati, but PSN seems pretty active at peak and semi-peak times. It is empty in the mornings though.

PSN, I play the game for 6+ hours from noon, I can see the number of players is declining day by day. I'm starting to remember the active players by nicks and me having terrible memory it's not a good sign.

Edit: I think higher ranked players are starting to switch accounts to pose as noobs.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
PSN, I play the game for 6+ hours from noon, I can see the number of players is declining day by day. I'm starting to remember the active players by nicks and me having terrible memory it's not a good sign.

Edit: I think higher ranked players are starting to switch accounts to pose as noobs.

Damn that really is too bad about the online activity---like I've mentioned I'm part of the problem really. Absolutely love the game but no chance to dedicate myself to it aside from time in the lab and occasional offline play. I'm hoping that when I get a new shift at work come September I can once again stay up late nights. If I was really being brutally honest with myself I would maybe admit that being married with kids has finally caught up to my gaming life but that's too tough a pill to swallow just yet.

GrayFoxPL

It's not a tragic state yet and on weekends it's obviously more populated. Happens to all games, question is how quick it'll deteriorate to a handful of dedicated players.

i play mostly in the evenings, that's why i rarely see you :eek:

it's true. i got destroyed by some alternate account jean (mid dan). he teched 90% of my throws and was very hard to approach overall. he climbed the ranks with ease.

GrayFoxPL

it's true. i got destroyed by some alternate account jean (mid dan). he teched 90% of my throws and was very hard to approach overall. he climbed the ranks with ease.

That's because the higher rank you are the harder is to get opponents. There's this fatigue going on that as long as you lose the opponent will challenge you, but win 2 or even one time and he'll start to decline you. Gets even worse, some dudes seem to write your name down and will always decline you, even after weeks. Crazy.

On of those guys must've switched accounts because I saw the nick first time and he declined me as soon as I challenged him and the connection was great.

That's because the higher rank you are the harder is to get opponents. There's this fatigue going on that as long as you lose the opponent will challenge you, but win 2 or even one time and he'll start to decline you. Gets even worse, some dudes seem to write your name down and will always decline you, even after weeks. Crazy.

On of those guys must've switched accounts because I saw the nick first time and he declined me as soon as I challenged him and the connection was great.

sometimes you get declined even when you lose. some people are afraid you could make a comeback the longer you play them. it's the same rule with every other fighter. i tried to rematch some guy every now and then, but he kept declining. perfect connection.

i don't write down names, but if people act like dicks, i just ignore them after a while.

GrayFoxPL

sometimes you get declined even when you lose. some people are afraid you could make a comeback the longer you play them. it's the same rule with every other fighter. i tried to rematch some guy every now and then, but he kept declining. perfect connection.

i don't write down names, but if people act like dicks, i just ignore them after a while.

That's true too. "Shit that was close! Better not fight him anymore!"

Close matches are most fun, but what do I know.

There are cool people too. One Jean player never declined a match with me even if he kept losing. I thought he deserved advice on how to better deal with my retarded Lion, so I msg him and he was happy and thankful. Nice.

Tons of dicks though, tons.

Doomshine

In ranked they should only display your connection quality and your rank, anything else is unnecessary and leads to stuff like ducking.

Okay, so I was playing arcade on hard. Pretty easy for the first sets of opponents. Get to Jean (2nd last stage) and holy fuck, he started busting out like 8+ hit combos and destroying me. Absolutely destroying.

I stuck with it and after probably 15 matches I finally beat him. Then onto Akira, the last stage. Same thing, took maybe 10 tries.

Jesus fuck! Why did the difficulty skyrocket so quickly? Sooooo annoying.

And why is there no one in my "local area"? I can only get matches from people overseas, where the lag is so bad I can't even do a quick get-up. I searched worldwide and only found 1 opponent (PS3). Wat.

/end rant

danmaku

Maybe they are expert players that want to try a new character without losing ranks. Having the rank tied to the account instead of the charater is really stupid.

Grokbu

So I've been playing Eileen since launch. Started playing Aoi the other day and wow, she is so much fun. As fun as I had with Eileen, I actually feel that I enjoy playing Aoi a lot more.

I miss the interrupt moves and basically all of Eileens attacks
bye bye 9P+K+GK :(
, but overall it's totally worth it. The counters are risky to mash out (as it should be, of course), but if you manage to use them correctly it feels so rewarding.

Eileen's most challenging point in my opinion is her ultra-short reach. Plus with Aoi you get all her counters so I can definitely sympathize with the change over. I'm doing so much better with Akira than my time with Eileen I've basically permanently changed over.

Grokbu

Eileen's most challenging point in my opinion is her ultra-short reach. Plus with Aoi you get all her counters so I can definitely sympathize with the change over. I'm doing so much better with Akira than my time with Eileen I've basically permanently changed over.

Hm, the point about her reach is something I haven't thought about actually. I've felt that attacks like 6_P, 3K, 6K, 9K, 66K, 46P etc. have had enough of a reach. But on the other hand, I haven't really sat down and compared the reach of her moves to those of other characters, and I'm really new to the series, so this might be an issue I might have encountered later on if I kept playing her. And maybe I haven't been spaced out in a way that I would have noticed it either.

Still, I much prefer Aoi thus far. The counters are what got me interested in her, and I'm not dissapointed.

AAK

I'm kinda late but I've been playing some intense matches with the Tekken Zaibatsu crew, anyone interested? PSN.

Shouta

GGs, Alstein. Thanks to you I've gotten out of my slump. I lost two ranks the last two days because I've been playing like shit and now it's feeling fun again. I was mashing like hell though. 46 side throws are so much fun.

Top Bottom