• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finally, I've been waiting to see some VF5 streams. They're non-existent.

Duxxy3

Bought Vf5 earlier in the week.

Gonna be a looong road back to being decent in virtua fighter. I haven't played the series since VF2 on my saturn (which i bought entirely for VF1).

AAK

Sorry KAC, I didn't see this thread and when I noticed it was too late :(. Next time! I'll face your El Blaze soon :)

And GG's Edgeward! Try to techroll some more. I noticed it as I was playing with Aoi that whenever I wanted a ground grab it landed. It'll shut down a lot of okizeme of your opponent. :)

Edgeward

ggs. It was pretty thorough ass kicking. I'm trying to get up but sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to. I'm not sure what I should be doing, I thought I just needed t hold G and a direction but sometimes I would just stay on the floor and I know it isn't a hard knockdown.

And yea, not used to the concept of teching my falls yet. I could only do that in Streets of Rage.

This game is so much more about learning tendencies than anything else. Still too used to 2d fundamentals and not 3d where frame advantage is not guaranteed damage.

And sometimes doing 4,6 is the hardest damn thing to do for some reason and it frustrates the hell out of me.

AAK

Tech-rolling is p+k+g right when you fall. Depending on the trajectory of your fall, the timing might be stricter than other knockdowns. But yeah, I usually mash it as much as I can. you can also input a direction to techroll in the foreground or background.

Just played a saelz8 online, isn't that a GAFfer? Got beat, pretty bad, but that's pretty par for the course for me as I'm still only about 20 some games into my VF career. The matching making has been a bit brutal for me so far, I don't really mind as I don't stress rank. But I'm hitting about 60% named fighters like hunters that have 800+ matches, I'm on about a 8-10 match losing streak I think.

alstein

Don't worry about rank- you can't lose rank until you hit raider.

By that time you should have at least 200 matches under your belt. Concentrate on learning how to play correctly, and don't let online spammers deter you too much.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Blew through the single player on easy, played online and almost beat someone.

Really liking this game so far.

Noricart

Hi everyobdy! Got some questions.
1. Has anyone used the Mad Catz SFIV gamepad on this game? Does it work well?
2. How is the population on the 360? How dificult is it to find a match?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Hi everyobdy! Got some questions.
1. Has anyone used the Mad Catz SFIV gamepad on this game? Does it work well?
2. How is the population on the 360? How dificult is it to find a match?

I tried it when it first came out with the first virtua fighter 5. I didn't care for it somehow, but I was really used to the xbox controller. Hard to change all the muscle memory.

I can usually find matches on xbox live. Both player matches and ranking.

Noricart

I tried it when it first came out with the first virtua fighter 5. I didn't care for it somehow, but I was really used to the xbox controller. Hard to change all the muscle memory.

I can usually find matches on xbox live. Both player matches and ranking.

Nice. Definitely going to get this now, played VF5 a lot.

Doomshine

Haven't played ranked in a while but managed to get to defender rank today.

I feel like I'm going to hit a wall soon and I'm going to have to start learning the moves and strings for all the characters to progress. I keep getting blown up because I don't know a low is coming or when a string ends. I'm just guessing evades, ducks and punishers right now.

Kage needs a nice mid launcher that isn't CH only and from crouch. No good way to punish slow recovery moves online with him minus his ten foot toss. That's the only way i ever get a half life combo with no wall involved. :( Shun, Jacky, Lion, and Aoi can all do half life with no wall why can't kage?

alstein

Kage needs a nice mid launcher that isn't CH only and from crouch. No good way to punish slow recovery moves online with him minus his ten foot toss. That's the only way i ever get a half life combo with no wall involved. :( Shun, Jacky, Lion, and Aoi can all do half life with no wall why can't kage?

Because you got all sorts of other fancy stuff that giving Kage good launchers would make him OP.

I would trade my tricky mixups for more damage output in a heartbeat. Seems like sega nerfed a few chars (kage,jeff,wolf) and boosted Akira for some reason. I

alstein

I would trade my tricky mixups for more damage output in a heartbeat. Seems like sega nerfed a few chars (kage,jeff,wolf) and boosted Akira for some reason. I

Jeff was nerfed because he was OP in R, they just overdid it a bit (I'm one of the few Jeff mains out there). Wolf isn't nerfed.

Akira- thankfully folks think he's harder than he is, and Shironuko means we get the El Blaze army these days.

alstein

Wolf is nerfed with how throws are easier to escape. A system type nerf, if you will.

Throws are actually harder to escape now at high level, moreso for non-grapplers. Wolf's back and neutral throws are pretty much guaranteed these days due to burning hammer.

The problem is landing the throws since strikes now beat throws outright instead of throw clash.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
yea fuck this game for now. I get alot better when i stop playing for a while anyway. see you guys in august!

made it to raider. played 10-15 matches and almost got demoted, lol.

i know it's getting old, but it's hard to to get a hit on lei fei in sometimes. i don't know when he's recovering and when not.

GrayFoxPL

made it to raider. played 10-15 matches and almost got demoted, lol.

i know it's getting old, but it's hard to to get a hit on lei fei in sometimes. i don't know when he's recovering and when not.

Against Lei-Fei sidestep as much as possible if you start blocking and wonder when to attack it's over. It's his game. Even risking getting hit by circulars isn't that bad, sidestep away.

GrayFoxPL

I actually had sudden death online.

Double KO on 5th round. "Draw!" says commentator.
Thought it was going to be it but then: "Sudden death!" Ow shit!

I low kicked his ass, lol.

Daigoro

I actually had sudden death online.

Double KO on 5th round. "Draw!" says commentator.
Thought it was going to be it but then: "Sudden death!" Ow shit!

I low kicked his ass, lol.

lol

damn i havent seen that yet in over 800 matches. pretty rare. edit: make that over 1000 matches. forgot i played a good long time this weekend one night.

Alright!
Got my second win today!
I'm so miserable.

It was against a Barbarian-level Aoi. Not sure how that happened. My weakass 10-match-experience Vanessa should not have stood a chance.
Guess I was favored by the gods or something. I still don't know any fancy combos and I got opened up pretty easily by the Jeffreys, Jeans, and Pais I faced earlier. At least I got a round on all of them.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
lol

damn i havent seen that yet in over 800 matches. pretty rare. edit: make that over 1000 matches. forgot i played a good long time this weekend one night.

just a heads up. if nobody hits eachother in a sudden death, player 1 is automaticly rewarded the win... found that out the hard way in ranked 2 weeks ago :(

Shouta

just a heads up. if nobody hits eachother in a sudden death, player 1 is automaticly rewarded the win... found that out the hard way in ranked 2 weeks ago :(

Yeah, I actually found that out when a matched a guy that was afk and just didn't touch it. Went to SD and it gave him the win. Was a little stupid but amusing.

denshuu

Feels like I'm the only one left in PSN's Vanessa Army. I can't 2KPP all these Jackys by myself.

x9PyH.jpg

i got the creepiest mail in my PSN history after i send a gg one out myself. holy shit. it wasn't even full of insults, just generally creepy and disturbing.

no more ggs from me.

Lol, what was it?

i can send you the exact wording in german if that helps. he was basically saying that he didn't trust my words, and that he now feels the deepest contempt in a creepy tone. it's hard to translate, but i'm sure he would do the worst things if you gave him a knife.

GrayFoxPL

i can send you the exact wording in german if that helps. he was basically saying that he didn't trust my words, and that he now feels the deepest contempt in a creepy tone. it's hard to translate, but i'm sure he would do the worst things if you gave him a knife.

Woah, yup that's nut job.
Don't let one discourage you though.

Top Bottom