• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Kerrinck

Just won against someone that whined about my connection even though we had a lag free match. Even weirder is that he kept challenging me after that.
Also, try to avoid Blackbeltspartan on psn. That douche disconnects as soon as he loses.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
wassup fellas. so been hittin the lab with shun. he's...pretty incredible. i mean just animation-wise and feel. he so intimidated me in the past on a sheer technical level that i never bothered messing with him at all. what the hell was i thinking? so finally i have my secondary but now i'm sure i've forgotten much of what i've learned with vanessa. i can't think of another fighting game where this happens to me so badly.

also, on my friends list i have a saelz8 that i always see rockin' online--i'm gonna get at you someday!!

SickBoy

Just won against someone that whined about my connection even though we had a lag free match. Even weirder is that he kept challenging me after that.
Also, try to avoid Blackbeltspartan on psn. That douche disconnects as soon as he loses.

I hate disconnecters. I fought one who I'd fought (and lost to before)... never had any issues earlier, but he did have a dark yellow face. It's been a long while since I played him (launch week) and I feel like I've hit my groove... as in, I need to really spend the time giving myself a technical education if I'm going to get dramatically better.

So this guy challenges me... I sort of expect to lose since he wiped the floor with me earlier on, but it turns out my improved defence and general ease with the game have me well prepared for him and I'm up by a round and a half. Disconnect. Fuck. This guy's high level, like a third-tier named rank. Would've been nice to gain the experience from that fight.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
wassup fellas. so been hittin the lab with shun. he's...pretty incredible. i mean just animation-wise and feel. he so intimidated me in the past on a sheer technical level that i never bothered messing with him at all. what the hell was i thinking? so finally i have my secondary but now i'm sure i've forgotten much of what i've learned with vanessa. i can't think of another fighting game where this happens to me so badly.

also, on my friends list i have a saelz8 that i always see rockin' online--i'm gonna get at you someday!!

Did I play you today? I played someone that switched between Vanessa and shun with a bit of akira mixed in. Xbox live Antronix?

If that was you, you have a great Shun.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Did I play you today? I played someone that switched between Vanessa and shun with a bit of akira mixed in. Xbox live Antronix?

If that was you, you have a great Shun.

shit, i wish i had a great shun! mine would be totally rookie status. my vanessa is way more solid though that's probably not saying much. i'm illegalwiretap on Live--shoot me an invite--the goal is to start playing neogaf heads if/when my work schedule allows.

Hilbert

shit, i wish i had a great shun! mine would be totally rookie status. my vanessa is way more solid though that's probably not saying much. i'm illegalwiretap on Live--shoot me an invite--the goal is to start playing neogaf heads if/when my work schedule allows.

Sounds neat, I will send you a friend request in a few minues. I am sort of a middle of the road player. Much better than beginners, but advanced players seriously kick my ass.

Daigoro

yeah, saelz is fun to play against and a really nice guy. ive sparred with him a bunch. met him only once in ranked i think. i choked and he beat me down.

i know what you mean about multiple characters too. its really hard to play more than one for me as well without getting confused. Shun is my main and when ever i try to use any other character i always try to take drinks when im not attacking/defending.

i do want to start learning Pai again though. she has always been my alt.

Sounds neat, I will send you a friend request in a few minues. I am sort of a middle of the road player. Much better than beginners, but advanced players seriously kick my ass.

you sound like my kind of player. heh.

feel free to send me an invite if you want more people to spar against as well. same for you bob.

gt is Daigoro. list might be close to full so just send a msg and ill delete some folks and add you.

Hilbert

you sound like my kind of player. heh.

feel free to send me an invite if you want more people to spar against as well. same for you bob.

gt is Daigoro. list might be close to full so just send a msg and ill delete some folks and add you.

I sent you a friend request. Feel free to hit me up if you see me online.

I play a great El Blaze, Decent Aoi, Competent Vanessa, a terrible Taka, and I dabble in Sarah.

LakeEarth

Whoo, got up to raider! I'm happy, considering I haven't ever put any effort into a VF game until now. Still not side-stepping enough (I do it too early and the move goes right to my head), but I am taking advantage of my damage opportunities when I see them now.

I also love it when I run into a reversal/parry happy player because all my 3rd Strike anti-parry strats come into play.

EDIT - barbarian!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Finally finished up my FS combo vid
http://t.co/2v0aWU1S

Hope you all enjoy.
ENJOYMENT ACQUIRED!

I'm soo going to swipe some of those characters edit!

EDIT : Tired of serving INFINITE JERKY since VF4 so I'm thinking about picking up a second character and want to work on T.Arashi to get the advantage of playing a character that isn't seen much online. Any pointers?

LakeEarth

More VF5 streams the better. Watching at EVO opened my eyes up to a lot of things. Still trying to find a good Jeffrey player to follow.

Shouta

More VF5 streams the better. Watching at EVO opened my eyes up to a lot of things. Still trying to find a good Jeffrey player to follow.

Kamais and Alstein are both pretty good. Alstein posts here so you can pester him but he can't really go out to events because of the general community situation.

LakeEarth

Thanks, I'll scour youtube for those guys.

My main issue with Jeff is that his faster moves are highs, and characters like Shun Di wreck me because I just keep whiffing. I just gotta watch these guys and figure out what the answer is to that kind of play.

alstein

Kamais and Alstein are both pretty good. Alstein posts here so you can pester him but he can't really go out to events because of the general community situation.

Huh? The main reason it's hard for me to go to events is my work schedule, though I'm going to suck it up for VF at least for a while- I think 36 hours without sleep is doable.

Kamais is a much stronger Jeff, I'm decent, but I fall to some things I Shouldn't- I'm really a midrank player. Any time I start thinking I'm good, real good players smack me back to reality.

Shouta

Huh? The main reason it's hard for me to go to events is my work schedule, though I'm going to suck it up for VF at least for a while- I think 36 hours without sleep is doable.

Kamais is a much stronger Jeff, I'm decent, but I fall to some things I Shouldn't- I'm really a midrank player. Any time I start thinking I'm good, real good players smack me back to reality.

I thought you said that there was no one playing VF in your area. lol

alstein

I thought you said that there was no one playing VF in your area. lol

The local drew 10 last month, so it wasn't that bad, I was saying no one would go to MLG because of that local being on the same day in August.

VF is pretty low on the totem pole here though. Most of the dedicated VF players have difficulty traveling (including myself) due to working weekends or other weekend commitments.

Seriously, what am I supposed to do against Shun Di? I feel like everything whiffs against him, even crouching jab!

Try these things

At far range, run. They have to respect your running splash if in stance, and while butt-butt (G+K) is unblockable it's easy to avoid unless you're sneaky with it.

At mid range 66PP, 43P+K (on CH it's either a low throw or bound), 443 PP.

At close range, 1K, I don't think you want to be at that range though.

I don't worry about Shun drinking all that much, though I probably should- I'd rather not rush into a bad situation, and a lot of Jeff's stuff can take drink pts off.

I do think it's a bit rough for Jeff, but it's not hopeless or anything.

i'm a barbarian now.

i beat some shatterer rank guy three times in a row, then some 2nd dan player comes in and i lose to various low attacks. hnnnngngngnngn

MechaX

After getting bodied in ranked for a little bit (still don't even have 20 matches under my belt in ranked), naturally I get "lol fag" mail over the PSN. With a community like this, it is quite discouraging to even play the game even more (even though I inevitably will).

After getting bodied in ranked for a little bit (still don't even have 20 matches under my belt in ranked), naturally I get "lol fag" mail over the PSN. With a community like this, it is quite discouraging to even play the game even more (even though I inevitably will).
I've only ever had one hate mail, and that was fairly amusing.
Mostly got GG's, but I've not played ranked for awhile so maybe the classiness quotient has dropped out there.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Played a japanese Kage, the match was laggy but I won by way of dick punching. I felt kinda bad so I send him a message saying "That was laggy as fuck, sorry for the cheap win" and he sent me this :
e61df13a.jpg
Could anyone here translate? Is it my first rage mail?

LakeEarth

Try these things

At far range, run. They have to respect your running splash if in stance, and while butt-butt (G+K) is unblockable it's easy to avoid unless you're sneaky with it.

At mid range 66PP, 43P+K (on CH it's either a low throw or bound), 443 PP.

At close range, 1K, I don't think you want to be at that range though.

I don't worry about Shun drinking all that much, though I probably should- I'd rather not rush into a bad situation, and a lot of Jeff's stuff can take drink pts off.

I do think it's a bit rough for Jeff, but it's not hopeless or anything.

Thanks, I'll try these out. I don't use the 443 moves enough.

alstein

Thanks, I'll try these out. I don't use the 443 moves enough.

As a caveat: I probably overuse them, and it's kinda a lame way to play since it's kinda turtlish. Against aggressive players and folks who like lunging forward attacks it's not so good- but if folks start using that they're doing less safe stuff.

I'm shocked more folks don't use 43P+K more.

LakeEarth

As a caveat: I probably overuse them, and it's kinda a lame way to play since it's kinda turtlish. Against aggressive players and folks who like lunging forward attacks it's not so good- but if folks start using that they're doing less safe stuff.

I'm shocked more folks don't use 43P+K more.

Probably cause they don't know what that solid arrow means in the command list.

Haha, I'm having way more fun than i should be with the costume stuff. Best $5 I've spent on costumes ever.

EDIT: Not sure when we can play Edgeward, looks like I'm gonna be gone for a few hours.

alstein

Ugh, can't make tourney now- emergency popped up.

Just saw Summer Jam has a pot bonus for VF now of $250, that's tempting to try for.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haha, I'm having way more fun than i should be with the costume stuff. Best $5 I've spent on costumes ever.

EDIT: Not sure when we can play Edgeward, looks like I'm gonna be gone for a few hours.

Yeah, the costumes and "Kumite" mode are really nice, even if "Kumite" is only like 10 extra arcade runs. And the costumes are locked on certain "modes" so you can't mix-and-match the outfits (No, I don't care if they clip, that's Sega's problem, not mine to check). I want my Army pants and Civilian Tee on Vanessa Sega. :(

Also ran across "The Captain" (Is not pleased!) on Kumite in Grab Bag. His outfit for Jean is actually pretty good minus the mask. So I copied it. Even though I don't play Jean. :/

alstein

Yeah, the costumes and "Kumite" mode are really nice, even if "Kumite" is only like 10 extra arcade runs. And the costumes are locked on certain "modes" so you can't mix-and-match the outfits (No, I don't care if they clip, that's Sega's problem, not mine to check). I want my Army pants and Civilian Tee on Vanessa Sega. :(

Also ran across "The Captain" (Is not pleased!) on Kumite in Grab Bag. His outfit for Jean is actually pretty good minus the mask. So I copied it. Even though I don't play Jean. :/

I wish you had color edit as well so you could make outfits match better. That said, this is an arcade port so that would have taken a good bit of work, so not surprised it didn't make it, and i expect TTT2 to have the same issues. SC5 does it best and right. I'm ok with what we got, just wish it was better/more.

Top Bottom