• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

EVOL 100%

East Asian(Korean) player here. If anybody wants to demolish a shitty Pai/Goh player, friend me in PSN. My handle is Cho-EVOL.

Any tips on dealing with Jacky players? Sidestepping seems useless against them.

So...how can I improve on not getting hit stomped on when I'm down. There are times where I'll hit p+k+g and be almost fully upright and their ^+p still stomps me. I've noticed this especially with Jacky, Sarah, and Kages.

Mashing directions and buttons will help you get up faster when you are down. Teching with P+K+G has some strict timing.

Shouta

If it's online, even if you think you tech'd correctly, the input lag may be making it hit you anyway or you tech'd in the wrong direction in the first place.

soakrates

If they started the down attack as you were getting up, you still have to block it once you're up. They used to be considered low attacks, but now I think they can be blocked standing.

alstein

It seems that my skill level is starting to plateau a bit. It's getting harder and harder for me to break someone's guard and I still have not broken one throw.

Does any know how to counter fuzzy guard?

Lows/low throws/ wait a bit then throw.

I need to figure out how you get around frame traps and pressure, I get destroyed by good pressure. Character I'm using doesn't help, 1PP is great if they're using highs, but it's so risky, I don't want to overuse it.

Daigoro

often i find that i cant stand up fast enough and it hits before i can actually block.

im still stuggling with this as well. it seems like a small miracle when i actualy do avoid it.

soakrates

often i find that i cant stand up fast enough and it hits before i can actually block.

im still stuggling with this as well. it seems like a small miracle when i actualy do avoid it.
If you do a side tech roll at the soonest possible time you shouldn't have any trouble blocking it. In some situations they are guaranteed, but those are pretty rare.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I just fought this Brad player who told me he didn't wanna deal with my "monkey bitch" then intentionally ringed out ... :lol

Any of you guys on PSN play Eileen? I feel like I can handle the super scrubs, but I get lost against the decent players. Been watching videos and reading up what I can, but I'm still struggling to level up my Eileen game. I'd really like to play someone who knows what's up.

Kerrinck

I just fought this Brad player who told me he didn't wanna deal with my "monkey bitch" then intentionally ringed out ... :lol

Any of you guys on PSN play Eileen? I feel like I can handle the super scrubs, but I get lost against the decent players. Been watching videos and reading up what I can, but I'm still struggling to level up my Eileen game. I'd really like to play someone who knows what's up.

I am an Eileen player, shoot me a message if you want to play some games. My id is Kerrick84.

LakeEarth

Jeff's 4KP is fast enough to kill a lot of 2P spam. You can also just backdash and hit them with a sidekick (I forget the notation) or the double hammer fist.

Those all make sense. I think he takes a little step back when he does that headbutt move too.

I really should sneak double hammer into my bag of tricks. Right now I tend to stick with the same 8 or so moves.

If they started the down attack as you were getting up, you still have to block it once you're up. They used to be considered low attacks, but now I think they can be blocked standing.

Thanks, I realized I haven't been doing this because I've been playing on a pad. I need to get a stick...

So in general if someone starts a move across the screen from me, and I try to attack him mid-move with a long-range move of my own, I almost always get hit by his attack. Is the general rule something like whoever has used the move in advance gets priority until it ends? Do you literally have to wait for the recovery frames on an attack to get in there and attack?

soakrates

So in general if someone starts a move across the screen from me, and I try to attack him mid-move with a long-range move of my own, I almost always get hit by his attack. Is the general rule something like whoever has used the move in advance gets priority until it ends? Do you literally have to wait for the recovery frames on an attack to get in there and attack?
It sounds to me like either his move was in its active frames before your move (because you did yours later), or that his move beat yours because it did more damage. Hard to say for sure without knowing more specifics though. Your best bet is probably just to evade and punish. Or block, depending on the move.

LakeEarth

Some moves that people do to rush have nice hitboxes that makes your move whiff and theirs hit. Lei-Fei has this nice one, from what I've seen people use online.

soakrates

Has there been any word about the VF5Fs tournament at Evo, like brackets or pools, or even a time?
Not as far as I know. I hope they announce something soon, because I'll be doing commentary for the SCV tournament and I need to know if there will be any conflicts.

Also, the VFCircuit series of online events is still taking entries: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/330929/1

They've got 90 people so far and hope to be up to 100 before Evo. I know online tournaments can be shaky, but it's really just meant to be seen as a way to promote the game and the community. Apparently there will be prizes though.

Not as far as I know. I hope they announce something soon, because I'll be doing commentary for the SCV tournament and I need to know if there will be any conflicts.

Also, the VFCircuit series of online events is still taking entries: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/330929/1

They've got 90 people so far and hope to be up to 100 before Evo. I know online tournaments can be shaky, but it's really just meant to be seen as a way to promote the game and the community. Apparently there will be prizes though.

Just registered. Thanks for the heads up.

alstein

VF is also going to be an "exhibition" at MLG in Raleigh (shidosha is source)

$1500 prize, no entry fee for game, entry fee for venue.

I'm going #esports

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Copied from my post on vfdc:

I've just received confirmation that MLG will be hosting a fighting game exhibition tournament to scout what games will be added to the circuit next. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown is on that list.

The event will take place in Raleigh, NC. People who have a spectator pass or a competitor pass can enter this tournament. THERE IS A FEE TO GET IN THE DOOR BUT - THERE IS NO FEE TO ENTER THE TOURNAMENT.

OFficial information will be posted sometime within the week, but i am making this pre-emptive post (with permission) to let you guys know. I Want to see this game on the circuit, there are too many good gamers not getting enough shine, and this can turn out to be good for all of us if we step up and continue to support our game.

As of right now, I'm being told top 3 get prizes, 1st place gets $1500.

Don't be a punk ass, support the cause!

They, or I will make an official post once everything is written out.

MLG RALEIGH WILL TAKE PLACE August 24-26 in Raleigh, NC at the Raleigh Convention Center

SenEXunk

Banned
Im doing pretty well with Lau, Lion and Venessa and decided to add another player to the group, went with Goh because he looks pretty cool. Whats the best way to play with him? I always have this strategy in my head after playing dojo with him a couple times but I can never execute on it because other characters I fight againt online are just too damn fast.

And Im really tempted to purchase all the costume packs to spice up the gameplay and unlock the special mode. Is it worth it?

Im doing pretty well with Lau, Lion and Venessa and decided to add another player to the group, went with Goh because he looks pretty cool. Whats the best way to play with him? I always have this strategy in my head after playing dojo with him a couple times but I can never execute on it because other characters I fight againt online are just too damn fast.

And Im really tempted to purchase all the costume packs to spice up the gameplay and unlock the special mode. Is it worth it?

If you're really into creating and seeing other peoples creations, I'd say it is worth it. Special Sparring is nothing remarkable, other than trying to navigate some curious AI patterns.

I'm personally holding off on purchasing the costumes packs since I'm so new to VF that it's easier for me to learn to fight other characters if they all look consistent. Don't worry though Sega, you'll get my money just as soon as I really start getting a hang of the game.

alstein

Thinking VF at MLG is going to have some real problems now: You have a major in Philly that several players are committed to already, and NC has its monthly in Charlotte on the same weekend.

Hoping it does well, but thinking it will be lucky to draw 16.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
There's a major in the FGC every weekend, and the MLG calendar has been up for 6 months

Honestly, what can you do, u know?

alstein

MLG keeps stepping on the toes of the grass roots FGC and I don't know how well it'll go over.

Shidosha has a point, it seems like there's 30-40 majors in the FGC right now. 30-40 majors aren't very major.

Serious question: if we were to define 8 events as majors, in addition to Evo, what would those 8 events be?

LakeEarth

Jeff's 4KP is fast enough to kill a lot of 2P spam. You can also just backdash and hit them with a sidekick (I forget the notation) or the double hammer fist.

This works pretty well. You can't do it too close though, but I guess that goes without saying. Thanks for the advice.

Shun Di is so weird to fight against. Everything I do seems to whiff when gets low to the ground.

Shouta

Are there any GAFfers doing the VF5Fs evo tournament that are already in Vegas? Would be cool to meet up for some casuals.

what is that cheap shoulder move vanessa is doing that pushes you across the screen and while you're on the ground? i can't fast recover from that jank, it looks so stupid. it looks like somebody is mashing two buttons for 50% of your HP.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
what is that cheap shoulder move vanessa is doing that pushes you across the screen and while you're on the ground? i can't fast recover from that jank, it looks so stupid. it looks like somebody is mashing two buttons for 50% of your HP.

Shoulder? Only thing I can think of is her stance switch attack maybe? It's the only shoulder move I can recall but maybe some Vanessa experts want to chime in. As an aside, I can't stop using her. I've been trying new characters in training, even went back to check my old main El Blaze again, and nobody has really made me want to go all out on a secondary. I think also that I know that if I do, whatever progress I've made in learning Vanessa will be lost.

AAK

I believe that move is unsafe.

Shoulder? Only thing I can think of is her stance switch attack maybe? It's the only shoulder move I can recall but maybe some Vanessa experts want to chime in. As an aside, I can't stop using her. I've been trying new characters in training, even went back to check my old main El Blaze again, and nobody has really made me want to go all out on a secondary. I think also that I know that if I do, whatever progress I've made in learning Vanessa will be lost.

I've been grinding it up with Vanessa the last couple weeks, and I completely agree. I went back to Jean for like an hour and felt lost with Vanessa for a little bit. I've been feeling fairly comfortable in DS but today I worked mainly on OS, and now I feel like my DS is lacking again. :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I've been grinding it up with Vanessa the last couple weeks, and I completely agree. I went back to Jean for like an hour and felt lost with Vanessa for a little bit. I've been feeling fairly comfortable in DS but today I worked mainly on OS, and now I feel like my DS is lacking again. :lol

I love OS--it's easily how I get most of my wins and what I feel most comfortable in. I am still trying to "get" DS. I really struggle with it in mounting any sort of consistent attacks. I would love a definitive list of must-use DS moves actually. I know at least one right off the bat: 1p

looks like she rams into you.

I believe that move is unsafe.

might be. but when i get hit, i get hit hard. and you can continue mashing on the ground.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
You guys run into many taka players? I have been trying to learn his style, and I never see anyone play as taka online.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
looks like she rams into you.

might be. but when i get hit, i get hit hard. and you can continue mashing on the ground.

Yup thats the stance switch. I've never abused it with opponents on the floor. Looks like I should try though. Gonna hit up the lab today and see wassup. Also--someone mentioned Intruder Step being useless but people online seem to fall for it a hell of a lot. I mostly use 4k,6 starter since its fast.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Yup thats the stance switch. I've never abused it with opponents on the floor. Looks like I should try though. Gonna hit up the lab today and see wassup. Also--someone mentioned Intruder Step being useless but people online seem to fall for it a hell of a lot. I mostly use 4k,6 starter since its fast.

I get the impression intruder step is really nice against good players, new players will just mash you right out of it. Sort of like when I get tricky with my Aoi, canceling everything, and I just get punched right away. I feel like yelling: "You should appreciate what I am doing and get confused!"

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I get the impression intruder step is really nice against good players, new players will just mash you right out of it. Sort of like when I get tricky with my Aoi, canceling everything, and I just get punched right away. I feel like yelling: "You should appreciate what I am doing and get confused!"

haha i feel that's so true. you go through all this complicated stuff to set people up or whatever and yeah, no point in doing it.

Top Bottom