• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

You guys run into many taka players? I have been trying to learn his style, and I never see anyone play as taka online.

I've met a few. What I've noticed from the strong ones is that they delay some of his attack chains (the palms/P string, the foot stomp, those strong palms, etc.) to get you conditioned to blocking, and then variate between delayed strings and mixups with his stances or throws. Also his chop move (HCF+P) has some sort of armor against punches and elbows, and it leads to some strong combos that push you far. I found that out the hard way. Don't know much else than that though, maybe there's something on VFDC.

After EVO's over, I'm going to try and study up on Taka just so that I don't freeze up when he starts pushing me into a wall or near the edge of a ring =/

Edit: Actually, Shidosha's pushing in faces on 8WayRun, so maybe you should just check that out.

Edit 2: Nevermind, Jean happened

GrayFoxPL

Tried to count how many throws Lion is missing in fs since VF4. I lost count at around 8-9.
8 unique throws cut, wtf. He gained one...
That's not mentioning insane list of moves and animations.

I just started playing Lion seriously here and just begun realizing the changes their made. That quick mid knee turned into high kick(or was it 6k knee that got erased, can't remember)l.

Edit:wrong move.

Tried to count how many throws Lion is missing in fs since VF4. I lost count at around 8-9.
8 unique throws cut, wtf. He gained one...
That's not mentioning insane list of moves and animations.

I just started playing Lion seriously here and just begun realizing the changes their made. That quick mid knee turned into high kick(4K), lol.

I do want his 33P+G back. And that throw from his 4P+G+K.

Shouta

Didn't see your matches but good try anyways man. Who were you using and who'd you lose to?

I only got one match on stream and it was my loss to dipstick. Did pretty well off stream though. I'm a Blaze player. I watched the JP Blaze that was there play for awhile and picked up some cool shit from him. Lots of movement options, combo extenders/starters, and a few traps I hadn't realized existed.

Hinomura

Hello!

Any PSN/EU gaffer would like to have a couple of matches now?

Id hidden here (quote to reveal):

PS: I guarantee lag, but a few nice games (too) :(

PPS: two ppl here surfing the web, now it's unplayable... I'm quitting :/

GrayFoxPL

i do when i can't find player matches. i'm only 7th dan currently. i try to play like 1-2 hours a day. not enough to get a broad matchup experience i feel.

Player matches won't get you experience you need unless you know pros that use multiple chars. Go ranked. Crazy matches post Hunter rank, though lame ragequiters happen in barbarian. I'm defender now, but get knocked down to barbarian and go up to defender again all the time, lol.

MechaX

Bleh. Picked it up after a few weeks and the only match I could get was against a Shun player who stomped my shit. I forgot how overwhelming some things can be in this game, as most of what I practice go straight out the window in an actual match (I play Sarah by the way). Need to work on that so much.

Edit: Just had a couple of good matches with an Akira player. He was body-ing Sarah up close, but I think I learned that I work way better at longer distances. I still had some "panic" moments, but at least it feels like I'm learning. Still have no idea how to handle Shun though.

alstein

I feel like my play has compeletely fallen apart lately. I need to start playing some more player matches to get off autopilot.

GrayFoxPL

Did anyone else remember the info that animation in FS was remodeled to better visually indicate that attacks are mid, high etc.? - PR lolism.

Lions 4PP is a punch, punch attack where both attack are of the same height, around belly area, yet first punch is mid and second is somehow high - nice troll.

His 46K is a high kick in the head, that isn't axe type kick that goes from low to mid or high through opponent's body, just boot to the forehead. Hiyaa! What properties has it? Mid. Trollolol.

Player matches won't get you experience you need unless you know pros that use multiple chars. Go ranked. Crazy matches post Hunter rank, though lame ragequiters happen in barbarian. I'm defender now, but get knocked down to barbarian and go up to defender again all the time, lol.

aren't they getting punished for RQ by the sad smileys? i only ever play green smileys. the reason i don't play much ranked is because i have to filter the international players out manually, and that takes time. in player, i can just look for a green player and play him as long as he wants. but i get what you mean, ranked is more crowded with better players.

---

so when does the evo stream start for VF? nm, it's on the main stream this time.

GrayFoxPL

aren't they getting punished for RQ by the sad smileys? i only ever play green smileys. the reason i don't play much ranked is because i have to filter the international players out manually, and that takes time. in player, i can just look for a green player and play him as long as he wants. but i get what you mean, ranked is more crowded with better players.

---

so when does the evo stream start for VF? nm, it's on the main stream this time.

Green smiles still rage quited on me. Fucking low lifes.

Evo vf5 ended 15 minutes ago. Only 2 matches, Shun player owned everything.

Edit: Hit me up when you're playing player.
On guy invited me like 30 times and it didn't work aside of 2 times. I could play him fine in ranked though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm terrible at fighting games, think I've won less than a dozen match online across all fighting games I've played (a lot). Soul Calibur V is the only recent 3D fighter I have played.

If I pick this up, what should I expect?

*edit*

Just read the OP, liking what I'm reading. Sounds very different than what I am used to.

Didn't get a chance to watch VF5FS pools since I was watching the main stream all weekend.

I will try to go through the archives over the next few weekends as it is always good to see hear some Shidosha commentary.

Hopefully it finds a place in next years EVO even though I have my doubts with TTT2 coming out and Atlus probably throwing its support behind P4A.

Shouta

Really want to play your Blaze. Most of the cats that were there I body them before. Except for some of the VA cats. I'm still mad Blaze is a super light-weight :(

Sure. I learned quite ab it from Shironuko this weekend and a few other Blaze players. It's not going to be easy!

alstein

Sure. I learned quite ab it from Shironuko this weekend and a few other Blaze players. It's not going to be easy!

I got to play you some, you got me mad for a bit until I calmed down and realized I needed to start playing more aggressively (my big weakness, I get super-passive)

Shouta

Aha, yeah. I'm kind of out of it now so I'm playing on auto-pilot. I barely used 3PPK at all this weekend but I've been using it online like crazy the last hour or two. I also didn't bother breaking any throws, either. Just the fatigue setting in, I guess. Plus as I said in the PM, full weekend of casuals in person makes online feel pretty sluggish, can't move around consistently so it's just easier to cheese it.

alstein

Aha, yeah. I'm kind of out of it now so I'm playing on auto-pilot. I barely used 3PPK at all this weekend but I've been using it online like crazy the last hour or two. I also didn't bother breaking any throws, either. Just the fatigue setting in, I guess. Plus as I said in the PM, full weekend of casuals in person makes online feel pretty sluggish, can't move around consistently so it's just easier to cheese it.

It is cross-country, which doesn't help. At least I know now for sure cross-country online play is "good enough". It's hard to break throws online unless you use yutori TE, you at least taught me to do that, and maybe even how to start breaking side throws.

What I really need is stronger comp like I used to have, when the folks who could run with GT at Evo ran over me and made me better. There's not many of those guys on PSN, and the way online works in FS- it makes folks not want to do set play online (Invitations to Player Match really need to be patched in)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How's the online community for the 360?

One thing I'm a little concerned about since its so late in the game for VF in general is that there won't be other terrible players for me to face (or players on my skill level).

Shouta

It is cross-country, which doesn't help. At least I know now for sure cross-country online play is "good enough". It's hard to break throws online unless you use yutori TE, you at least taught me to do that, and maybe even how to start breaking side throws.

What I really need is stronger comp like I used to have, when the folks who could run with GT at Evo ran over me and made me better. There's not many of those guys on PSN, and the way online works in FS- it makes folks not want to do set play online (Invitations to Player Match really need to be patched in)

Yeah, the online is good enough to keep in practice but it's just not perfect enough for getting all the things you need to practice down. Proper reactions and more advanced/fluid movement is pretty difficult. Plus combo timings can be a little off so you can miss the ones you really want to get unless it's an easier setup. I missed Blaze's combo off 4P+K a lot earlier because of it and could barely get his bait crumple either (what Shironuko was doing in pools and Top 16 often).

I'm less worried about comp at the moment than I am making sure I hit all the combos I want and getting to move around the field like I should be able to. I do have fledgling scene here and got Portland and Vancouver folks as well, if need be.

AAK

One thing I'm a little concerned about since its so late in the game for VF in general is that there won't be other terrible players for me to face (or players on my skill level).

Don't play the game and to just start winning. It won't be any different if you play people who are scrubs or veterans. As long as you have the mentality to learn and adapt, you'll still have fun and learn the game.

There is a tutorial mode that outlines a lot of fundamentals which approximately 80% (including myself) don't even implement in their game.

This is a fabulous package and one of the best fighting games in the market.

As for me, I'm not sure about 360, but for PSN, I easily get matches in ranked, but very rarely in player matches or lobbies :( Hopefully the EVO finals may have changed that slightly.

Kerrinck

Don't play the game and to just start winning. It won't be any different if you play people who are scrubs or veterans. As long as you have the mentality to learn and adapt, you'll still have fun and learn the game.

There is a tutorial mode that outlines a lot of fundamentals which approximately 80% (including myself) don't even implement in their game.

This is a fabulous package and one of the best fighting games in the market.

As for me, I'm not sure about 360, but for PSN, I easily get matches in ranked, but very rarely in player matches or lobbies :( Hopefully the EVO finals may have changed that slightly.

Same here. I have never seen a single soul on the player matches although the ranked ones are always full of people so I can't complain(psn).
Really happy with the netcode. 1 bar and it plays perfectly for me and sometimes even 0 bars can give a decent match. A shame that most people back away from 1 bar games.

As of this weekend, there is no shortage of early ranked fraudulence, on PSN at least.

And I still lose to it. :(

Xevren

It's really hit or miss with me. Today the only people I have played against are ranked sooooo much higher than me that I just can't really do much. On the weekends I can find people around my rank a bit more frequently. (only like a 6th dan or something)

played 2 hours ranked PSN this evening. lots of people in the low-high dan rank online. i won most of them, but lost to some mashy pai and a high ranked akira that i.....couldn't hit. he was just casually bumping into me. if you don't know the matchup versus advanced players, you're done.

lol fuck you guys

teehee

It's nothing against you, I just don't like Jean!

Seriously though, you were great last weekend - both as a Taka player and especially as a commentator. I took notes on the character-specific stuff you pointed out during the stream, and after trying some of it out today I feel like I've improved exponentially (not that I was great to begin with, but still). And you were pretty entertaining to boot.

Doomshine

Quoting from the Evo thread:

Rip commented on the video, his explanation really says it all:

I didn't know this was even on stream! This is still my first month playing. I think everyone I beat in this game feels like this, she was just the first to vocalize it haha. Basically, I use Jacky, and I hit backflips with him, which do CH dmg like Paul Phoenix Deathfists (so I call it Deathflip) - anyway, iirc half wall stage, and I hit the backflip on her in an earlier round and the final round where her character's body landed on the half wall and slid over and out -> then 'the scream

Goddamn I would've been salty.

alstein

It is possible to random a decent player out with this sort of crap in VF. It won't work against a top tier player, but Zero-chan is decent, she's not a scrub at the game, I've played her online.

Add to that the fact she was on tilt due to how hard she lost to Shiro, who was the worst possible matchup for her (she likes to play patient/defensive, and Shiro's Blaze is best against that sort of player) and the massive style switch from Shiro to a random Jacky, it's not surprising that's what happened. Being on tilt and having to deal with huge style differences is really damn hard to deal with in VF, even just online, let online at EVO.
She doesn't have a lot of offline tourney experience on top of that so she doesn't know how to handle those situations- you learn that through experience and losing at tournies. It's also different at a major than a local where you know the people you're playing.

On top of that, it probably is a big ego blow to lose at Evo to someone you consider a "random scrub", especially when the last round is a random ringout.

Just an explanation of what could have been going on in her mind, from someone who understands what it is to be a pot monster. I might have done the same thing myself.
Maybe I'll throw a stick at MLG. ^_^

Doomshine

Rip is known for doing this to people though, even in Tekken:

Y0bCIl.jpg

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Thx for the support everyone - yea my pools could have gone any way between GT and I - I knew better than to pick taka vs GT: he was studying the matchup just to make sure he could rape anyone that used him... And we play alot. I set myself up for that L

Shoulda stuck with the character that beat chibita...

PS: I played Aopai in a few sets - it was close!
My new goal is best pai and player in America.

Practice up doods!

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
It is possible to random a decent player out with this sort of crap in VF. It won't work against a top tier player, but Zero-chan is decent, she's not a scrub at the game, I've played her online.

Add to that the fact she was on tilt due to how hard she lost to Shiro, who was the worst possible matchup for her (she likes to play patient/defensive, and Shiro's Blaze is best against that sort of player) and the massive style switch from Shiro to a random Jacky, it's not surprising that's what happened. Being on tilt and having to deal with huge style differences is really damn hard to deal with in VF, even just online, let online at EVO.
She doesn't have a lot of offline tourney experience on top of that so she doesn't know how to handle those situations- you learn that through experience and losing at tournies. It's also different at a major than a local where you know the people you're playing.

On top of that, it probably is a big ego blow to lose at Evo to someone you consider a "random scrub", especially when the last round is a random ringout.

Just an explanation of what could have been going on in her mind, from someone who understands what it is to be a pot monster. I might have done the same thing myself.
Maybe I'll throw a stick at MLG. ^_^

But she does have alot of tourney experience - the fact is that she beat herself mentally. I told her this at the pre launch party months ago, she needs to stop beating herself before a match. She's not weak - she could use alot of work but seriously she's better than rip by far. I don't know if the mic picked it up, but right after she screamed I yelled "got dammit zerochan..."

I was not expecting her to lose

Xevren

So if there is one thing I am complete ass at it's teching throws, how do you guys who have been playing awhile do it so well?

Top Bottom