• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Aku-Audi

Are you talking about the 1980 thing? SP has been pretty misleading with this Kickstarter, talking around how the work they're doing is largely from that PSP collection, so it's difficult to tell what they're actually doing to Narcissu beyond that with their vague wording.

Don't think we been very vague, considering I remember 2 separate times Randy Au has spoken about this publicly recently. No one else has brought this up at least but I'll try to clear it up for you cause i like ya

Yes and no. one of the chapters, Zero, is derived from a chapter in the PSP version, but w/ redone artwork and stuff... "A Little Iris" was from 3rd which predates PSP (but was included in the PSP), also w/ updated art... and new chapter is new material. Nothing is being reused, all material is remade or made new, and all stories are rewritten. Hopefully this clears up any confusion that this is somehow not a brand new production.

Also Chris is a perfect fit, look into his stuff like Licht am Ende des Tunnels. He met with the team at GDC and clicked right away, and Kataoka-san loved what he heard and felt this was a cool opportunity to do something new and fun with the VN genre. Not many Japanese VN see guest contributions from outside Japan.

Aku-Audi

I wonder when we're getting the Vita news from Sekai Project.

Working very hard on it :)
There's nothing much more to be done other than preparing a few more things Sony requested. So you won't be holding your breath for much longer. Our console and handheld side has been built up so that future games only need to be submitted and approved, whereas now I been working on getting SP to be an officially licensed publisher for the platforms.

That has a lot of paperwork attached to it and hopefully you'll feel satisfied with the countless sleepless nights spent on setting up the whole frontend for this once it is ready and releases are made.

Shizuka

Do you mean the games are done and waiting to be published or that you're waiting to get approved by Sony before porting the games?

Don't think we been very vague, considering I remember 2 separate times Randy Au has spoken about this publicly recently. No one else has brought this up at least but I'll try to clear it up for you cause i like ya

Yes and no. one of the chapters, Zero, is derived from a chapter in the PSP version, but w/ redone artwork and stuff... "A Little Iris" was from 3rd which predates PSP (but was included in the PSP), also w/ updated art... and new chapter is new material. Nothing is being reused, all material is remade or made new, and all stories are rewritten. Hopefully this clears up any confusion that this is somehow not a brand new production.

Also Chris is a perfect fit, look into his stuff like Licht am Ende des Tunnels. He met with the team at GDC and clicked right away, and Kataoka-san loved what he heard and felt this was a cool opportunity to do something new and fun with the VN genre. Not many Japanese VN see guest contributions from outside Japan.
So Sumire is completely new, the rest are redone versions of older material. It doesn't seem like I was far off, but it's good to get clarification. I called it vague because when reading the Kickstarter page, it's not immediately clear what is new and what is a remake.

Aku-Audi

Do you mean the games are done and waiting to be published or that you're waiting to get approved by Sony before porting the games?

Games need a bit of tuning but we got that in good hands. We had to be properly approved and evaluated by Sony, yes. Publishing games is very difficult and tedious of a process, and this is not at fault of those who were here before I came aboard at all, this is just something that sounds super simple on paper, submit game, approve, profit, but in reality is like a maze where the only exit is constantly generated everywhere but where you are standing. That's a terrible analogy actually, I apologize and will see myself out.

So Sumire is completely new, the rest are redone versions of older material. It doesn't seem like I was far off, but it's good to get clarification. I called it vague because when reading the Kickstarter page, it's not immediately clear what is new and what is a remake.

Glad I could clear it up a bit! Feel free to ask anything. Considering all the work that is going into the assets and rewriting all the stories though, it's fair to say that it not a mere touch up or upscaling, which is why the Kickstarter might sound a bit vague to fans who are extremely familiar with this particular title. Kataoka is really hard at work and the artists are drawing all new stuff for everything.

Just curious if anyone here has the insight: For Clannad, watch the Anime or play the VN first?

I guess I'll ask about Steins;Gate while I'm at it. >_>

Ra1den

Hi VN-GAF, I'm sure somebody here knows the answer to this. Does anybody remember some website that emulated really old visual novels? You could play them right in your browser. I can't remember what it was called, but I think it was supposed to be some sort of permanent archive for older Japanese VN's translated into English.

Ring any bells?

Jazz573

Hi VN-GAF, I'm sure somebody here knows the answer to this. Does anybody remember some website that emulated really old visual novels? You could play them right in your browser. I can't remember what it was called, but I think it was supposed to be some sort of permanent archive for older Japanese VN's translated into English.

Ring any bells?

Could you perhaps be referring to The Asenheim Project?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's been more stagnant than I would have thought.

Yeah it had a pretty good start, but continues to hault. It's a pretty good value with everything that has been added that were meant to be stretch goals, so maybe in the last few days it will (just barely) pull through.

Key might be just trying to get rid of SP by forcing them to sell the game at this price.

They don't need to do that, they can and already are localizing games without Sekai Project. But yeah, $50 for an 11 year old game that's had a fan translation available for a long time is not a good idea.

Shizuka

And of course there are people on Twitter defending the price. :p

After I saw some people on r/visualnovels defending Sekai Project like there's no tomorrow when we were discussing their overreliance on Kickstarter, I gave up trying to talk sense into people.

Jazz573

After I saw some people on r/visualnovels defending Sekai Project like there's no tomorrow when we were discussing their overreliance on Kickstarter, I gave up trying to talk sense into people.

I recognized someone from the subreddit on Twitter. Also, seems to be about an equal amount of people who hate SP and who love SP, on the subreddit.

I'm thinking it was Key who decided on the price, given their whole DRM thing with the physical version, and not removing it until SP convinced them. I think Key doesn't really understand the Western market.

fertygo

And of course there are people on Twitter defending the price. :p

to be fair I'll defend this too, known game for japan seem won't bug from this price range I think.

I bet SP would love to put lower price too

Man I so gonna pay 40 buck for 640x480 game that's Muvluv Extra isn't it

Top Bottom