• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Has anyone by chance, played the Visual Novels Akaiito,

qvcatj6_1607.jpg

or it's sister-game, Aoishiro?

yuriaw_9348.jpg

There great all-age Yuri games, with gorgeous art, beautiful music, and amazing atmosphere. They go very deep into Japanese mythology, have horror elements, and the characters are very well done (there all voiced too, lip synch and all) I prefer Aoishiro, (just because I love the characters more), but Akaiito is amazing as well.

Marche90

the binge of DR continues

Seriously debating foregoing the actual Vita device and going with a PSTV to be able to finally continue reading these (I have only read the original, since I was able to read the fan translation). I have two weeks to decide, so hopefully I'll be able to reach a conclusion by then.

Also, enjoy it!

Seriously debating foregoing the actual Vita device and going with a PSTV to be able to finally continue reading these (I have only read the original, since I was able to read the fan translation). I have two weeks to decide, so hopefully I'll be able to reach a conclusion by then.

Also, enjoy it!

DS2 is only $30 on Amazon America, apparently. I'm Canadian so I can't vouch for that price's legitimacy

Yuuichi

Jazz, you failed me; got an email update for WEE complete earlier today that we should expect a 6 month turnaround on the complete product for backers.

Jazz, you failed me; got an email update for WEE complete earlier today that we should expect a 6 month turnaround on the complete product for backers.

I already posted it.

Aren't you excited that they're finally starting to translate the 2nd of two short doujin games only 1.5 years after the Kickstarter?

Marche90

It's more or less the price I'm getting at Amazon MX, so I will probably order it from there. The reason why I have only that time frame is because a family member is going to the US, so they would be the one to bring me the device. The PS Vita 1001 refurb runs at $140, the PSTV bundle with the DS3 and 8 gig memcard at $80 and both are way cheaper than here where I am, since Amazon raises the prices to be more or less what they are in the rest of the market.

...Or I get lucky with a discounted price in a random store here (it has happened before. I once got a brand new PS2 at $35 when they were still selling them and a few stores have those types of deals yearly. You need to get lucky to find them, tho). Anyway, I'm still playing the waiting game for a bit more.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I already posted it.

Aren't you excited that they're finally starting to translate the 2nd of two short doujin games only 1.5 years after the Kickstarter?

Well, at least it's getting done. That's the important part. Nothing can top the fumbles like Mighty No 9 and it's ton of delays (and yes, I backed that too on the first day... v_v)

Well, at least it's getting done. That's the important part. Nothing can top the fumbles like Mighty No 9 and it's ton of delays (and yes, I backed that too on the first day... v_v)

At least that's for development of the game and not just a localization. And the first two episodes of WEE weren't translated particularly well anyway, though Sekai Project didn't do the first episode.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds like I'm going to be getting a flood of goodies coming in at the beginning of next year and some might make it in before this year ends! I love getting mail :)

(I did get my Mighty No. 9 tshirt in randomly, and was sad to see so many already listed on eBay >_>)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The reason I remain optimistic... My KS shopping:

fault milestone one: physical artbook
Mighty No. 9: box, artbook, PC disc, WiiU code
WAS –The Hourglass of Lepidoptera–: physical game, soundtrack, artbook, manga
WORLD END ECONOMiCA -complete-: Physical game and OST, physical guidebook, tapestry
Clannad: physical game LE, 3 disc physical OST, physical side story, physical manga
Fruit of Grisaia: physical trilogy, physical OST, physical magical side story
Yooka-Laylee: Physical PC game, manual, CD, artbook, tshirt?, digital ps4
Memory's Dogma: physical game, physical OST
Bloodstained: physical PS4 game, Steam digital copy, hardcover artbook, OST, tshirt, poster, box, pin, button, keychain, retro strategy guide
Shenmue 3: physical PS4 game, physical OST, digital OST, art book, digital art book, illustration, scroll, capsole toy, tshirt, Ryo jacket skin, 20 capsole toy tickets, in game phone card
Muv-Luv: physical box and vita copy, physical artbook, physical DVD OST, Figma, physical Codex, digital PC game, digital OST, digital artbook, digital stretch goals
Narcissu: physical disc, collector box, physical soundtrack, physical artbook, mini-novel, digital game, digital soundtrack, digital artbook

So far I received: Mighty No. 9 t-shirt >_> And there's a bunch of digital codes from the older ones I didn't even list. (Can I has goodies for my monies?)

Jazz573

WORLD END ECONOMiCA -complete-: Physical game and OST, physical guidebook, tapestry
Clannad: physical game LE, 3 disc physical OST, physical side story, physical manga
Bloodstained: physical PS4 game, Steam digital copy, hardcover artbook, OST, tshirt, poster, box, pin, button, keychain, retro strategy guide
Shenmue 3: physical PS4 game, physical OST, digital OST, art book, digital art book, illustration, scroll, capsole toy, tshirt, Ryo jacket skin, 20 capsole toy tickets, in game phone card
Muv-Luv: physical box and vita copy, physical artbook, physical DVD OST, Figma, physical Codex, digital PC game, digital OST, digital artbook, digital stretch goals
Narcissu: physical disc, collector box, physical soundtrack, physical artbook, mini-novel, digital game, digital soundtrack, digital artbook

So far I received: Mighty No. 9 t-shirt >_> And there's a bunch of digital codes from the older ones I didn't even list. (Can I has goodies for my monies?)

Backed everything there except fault and WEE.

Backed everything there except fault and WEE.

ouch!

the only thing I backed was Exogenesis and that's about a year late at this point

jonjonaug

I backed the Homestuck game. Get on my level. ;_;

EDIT: Seriously though, about half of the things I've backed on Kickstarter I've received and have been satisfied with. Of the remaining half, only a few things have had major delays of about a year or more and are still undelivered. Of everything I backed, I think Barkley 2's delay has been the most egregious. MM9 has only been delayed about a year and has shown real progress so I'm not too upset about the delay for that one. Torment from inExile has also been delayed about as much as MM9, and that barely has an alpha build together. Homestuck's delay has been the worst, but apparently there was some real drama with the development company that was contracted to do that and I can't blame them too hard for that one.

And hey, Undertale and Pillars of Eternity both came out after delays, and those were great.

EDIT 2: Actually the delay I'm most annoyed about is my physical copy of Grisaia even though it's only been a few months since the digital release. The game is done except for these "1-2 minor bugs" that have been holding up the whole thing for a while now.

Has anyone by chance, played the Visual Novels Akaiito,

qvcatj6_1607.jpg

or it's sister-game, Aoishiro?

yuriaw_9348.jpg

There great all-age Yuri games, with gorgeous art, beautiful music, and amazing atmosphere. They go very deep into Japanese mythology, have horror elements, and the characters are very well done (there all voiced too, lip synch and all) I prefer Aoishiro, (just because I love the characters more), but Akaiito is amazing as well.

I've wrote 3 post in the old thread detailling why i ABSOLUTELY LOVE Aoishiro. It's certainly my prime recommendation when i want to introduce a friend to world of visual novel at the intermediate level.
There is nothing i dislike about aoishiro . True route is the best , but all routes are great in their own ways.

I've wrote 3 post in the old thread detailling why i ABSOLUTELY LOVE Aoishiro. It's certainly my prime recommendation when i want to introduce a friend to world of visual novel at the intermediate level.
There is nothing i dislike about aoishiro . True route is the best , but all routes are great in their own ways.
I prefer the regular Nami route, but Grand is pretty awesome (though it's kinda tied with Kohaku for me) Lol, love the gameplay, I wish more VN's used Aoishiro's style (like having to beat other routes, to unlock secret options and choices that unlike more ending's in other routes)

Another good part about the series, is there fully translated.

Akaiito is much more merciless, though. And a far darker game. So I can see why people prefer it over Aoishiro (i like the music more in Akaiito). I actually prefer Uzuki (cause she's an ultra badass), to Migiwan, but I overall like Aoishiro more.

Oh and yeah. Sooooooooooooooo much content in both VN"s. So much.

I prefer the regular Nami route, but Grand is pretty awesome (though it's kinda tied with Kohaku for me) Lol, love the gameplay, I wish more VN's used Aoishiro's style (like having to beat other routes, to unlock secret options and choices that unlike more ending's in other routes)

Another good part about the series, is there fully translated.

Akaiito is much more merciless, though. And a far darker game. So I can see why people prefer it over Aoishiro (i like the music more in Akaiito). I actually prefer Uzuki (cause she's an ultra badass), to Migiwan, but I overall like Aoishiro more.

Oh and yeah. Sooooooooooooooo much content in both VN"s. So much.

I need to play Akaiito one day .. heard plenty of praise but since i think it's as long as aoishiro i decided to leave it behind until i get enough time to experience it.

Is it as long as aoishiro ? Does it use the same system for routes ?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Narcissu is at $46,947/75,000 with 17 days left... Despite all the SP stuff, I really hope this does make it. I doubt it'll make the $100k stretch goal for the new episode, but as long as it gets funded it would be nice. It's.... not looking too great and really in need of more updates or something.

Narcissu is at $46,947/75,000 with 17 days left... Despite all the SP stuff, I really hope this does make it. I doubt it'll make the $100k stretch goal for the new episode, but as long as it gets funded it would be nice. It's.... not looking too great and really in need of more updates or something.

At the current average pledge it needs around 450 more backers to hit their main goal. It'll probably make it with the end surge, but it has really stalled. They've been busy advertising it though, they sent out a bunch of updates for their older Kickstarters that said little but had a huge plug for Narcissu.

Sekai Project must be real relieved that they cut the goal in half. Though I wonder if it'd come out even if the Kickstarer failed. For all that they're trying to sell it as game development, it actually seems to just be a localization of sidestories already released as a PSP game, and much of the translation work has already been done. Considering half the stories in the Kickstarter are supposed to be released this year and the rest early 2016, it's hard to imagine them pulling the plug.

Shizuka

Didn't the prefundia campaign have a larger base goal than it does now? It's getting harder and harder to earn money from Kickstarter for Sekai Project. I hope that ushers change within the company's over reliance on that platform.

Didn't the prefundia campaign have a larger base goal than it does now? It's getting harder and harder to earn money from Kickstarter for Sekai Project. I hope that ushers change within the company's over reliance on that platform.

It was 150k, they cut it in half. Though this Kickstarter isn't doing all that much worse than their other doujin Kickstarters. It could be fatigue with Sekai Project, but I'm not certain how much desire there really is for a bunch of sidestories to a free doujin game. I suppose that's why they're trying to promote the game as some sort of new development when it really seems to just be a localization of an already existing PSP collection.

I need to play Akaiito one day .. heard plenty of praise but since i think it's as long as aoishiro i decided to leave it behind until i get enough time to experience it.

Is it as long as aoishiro ? Does it use the same system for routes ?

Akaiito is amazing. A little longer then aoishiro. It uses the same addictive system in it's routes (also has a in-game flow chart). Everything is really different, while being similar.

Instead of a grand route, you get a secret character by completing all the other routes. And like Aoishiro, you can die alot.

Aoishiro was downright gorgeous with it's water motif's, while Akaiito has a more haunting beauty, it it's dream sequences, and night and day cycle. Really high production value, just like Aoishiro. Gorgeous art
Senba.Uzuki.full.138493.jpg

r1psbUd.png

You can easily buy it for cheap on the Japanese PSN.

Tizoc

Anyone know if that Japanese only VN that released on Steam recently has a fan translation done for it?
I plan on getting it during the winter seal if there's a translation for ti available.

Marche90

So I just spoiled myself of something from KnS2 even though I still don't have the VN

...Sequel when? ;_;

probably should buy the second one first before that >_>

Well at least it looks like things are doing well for MangaGamer.
They've come a long way, especially in terms of the quality of their localizations. Consistent releases without endless delays, good translations, and haven't needed Kickstarter to do it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah pretty glad they're doing better with their quality lately. Someone who wasn't too great at English did a pass over Umineko for them a couple of years ago, so I was glad to see them fixing up the Witch Hunt translation for the new release instead.

Shizuka

Well at least it looks like things are doing well for MangaGamer.

They've come a long way, especially in terms of the quality of their localizations. Consistent releases without endless delays, good translations, and haven't needed Kickstarter to do it.

Well, I did buy my first physical PC game ever this year and it was a visual novel by MangaGamer.

Yuuichi

Now if only they could fix that website of theirs, they'd be golden. [Before someone takes this the wrong way, it's functionally fine as far as I know]

eefara

I just finished up Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~ last night; what an excellent game. I think I'll try to write a review soon and post it here for anyone interested.

Top Bottom