• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

gaiages

Banned
Ohmygad ohmygad, Moonlight game streaming has been officially released on iOS. The time has come for me to finally play VN comfily in bed. Glory !
Of course that's the theory and the damn thing will work for five minutes and never again. I know that. I'm savoring the joy, too afraid to launch the thing.

Edit : oh my, first post, sorry for the relatively uninteresting news it contains :X

Bro get a low end Windows tablet, it'll change your life :D

Li Kao

Bro get a low end Windows tablet, it'll change your life :D

Believe me I wish I could afford even a low end tablet these days :-S
Furthermore the models that were recommended here some months ago don't seem to be available in France. I'm stuck regularly trying some software and always being let down.

What would be a good machine these days in your opinion VNGaf ? Not the cheapest one, not the pricier either, just what you think would be a solid machine.
Oh and evidently Moonlight indeed worked for five minutes and now pathetically fails.

Marche90

Believe me I wish I could afford even a low end tablet these days :-S
Furthermore the models that were recommended here some months ago don't seem to be available in France. I'm stuck regularly trying some software and always being let down.

What would be a good machine these days in your opinion VNGaf ? Not the cheapest one, not the pricier either, just what you think would be a solid machine.
Oh and evidently Moonlight indeed worked for five minutes and now pathetically fails.

Try to reset the changes?

Hmm... on this side of the pond (North America) the most recommended tablet was the HP Stream 7, if you can find it for cheap it's an option. Personally, I would recommend you to go with a tablet that has at least a 8" screen with 1280x800 resolution and 32 gb of internal memory. You can live with 16 GB, but the extra storage will make your life easier, especially for updating the machine

My personal experience with an unknown brand has been a bit mixed. My tablet has a 8" 1280x800 screen. The panel itself is very good, since viewing angles are decent, but the glass gets scratched very easily. The internal 16 gb of storage has made memory management crucial since at most I can get 5.5 GB of free space by deleting everything I have installed (a manga reader app with cached mangas, an eBook reader and a few games), not to mention that currently I'm locked out of the Threshold 2 Win10 update since there's no way I can manage to free 8 GB of internal storage. Oh, and speaking of Windows 10, updating the tablet borked the reboot functionality. Still, an improvement over the <2 gb of free space I normally had with Win8.1

Even with those shortcomings, I love reading VNs on it... most of the time. There are some VNs that have an unexplicable high CPU and the usage with battery drops from around 5 hours to ~2 hours (I'm looking at you two, KoiRizo and Kara no Shoujo 2 demo). Thankfully, these are rare.

Lain

I'm happy Winged Cloud is now able to go in the direction they feel more inclined to follow. If you can put out pleasant (or pandering) art but not good story/writing, you might as well focus on the smut more heavily.

I'm interested in Sakura Dungeon, maybe they'll fare better with gameplay focused games.

Muv Luv Update
Backerkit should be ready soon and this:
More sweet news coming soon!

We'll have an update soon on the translation process and progress (yes, we've already started on it).

We'll also have a major announcement by new year as to what we'll be doing with the extra funds. The result of the Kickstarter's overwhelming success has given us opportunities and really, thank you very much everyone for supporting us! :)

gaiages

Banned
Is it good ? I'm not really interested in otome games but at this price I could be interested in discovering the genre.

I think it's alright, for the most part. When I played it, though, I had a *ton* of trouble getting the good ends, ... there's so many choices in each path and it's impossible sometimes to know what the correct choice is.

I'm assuming it's ultra cheap on the Win Store right now though, I'd recommend it as long as you aren't allergic to guides (I recommend this one).

I think Sweet Fuse is a better jumping in point for otome games, but Amnesia isn't a bad one, either, one of the paths aside.

Marche90

The currently running Steam sale includes quite a bit of discounts. Essentially all of Sekai Project's VNs are on sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Sekai Project

Personally I'm only interested in getting World End Economica Vol. 2, but I still have to actually read Vol. 1

As for MangaGamer, here are their discounts. Not as good as Sekai's, but it'll do if you were on the fence for some of their titles:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=MangaGamer

They should have used a deeper discount for Princess Evangile and use at least a 10% on Higurashi Chapter 2, but that's only my opinion. Hope they can get some more sales on their titles.

Josephl64

I guess Sakura will be forever with us until the end of time now.

Not going to lie, that dungeon game actually interests me. If it's half as good as Raidy, I'm so game.

The 50% sale on Grisaia is tempting... Would it be worth waiting for the 18+ version to possibly go on sale, or just dive into the Steam version?

Steam version has new art that 18 does not. So unless you really like sex scenes I'd say go for cheaper version.
I did hear about that, but the also heard that one of the routes is a bit better with those scenes. Dunno if it's still fine with them cut, but just wanted to get some opinions from anyone familiar with both versions.

Shizuka

Announcement is stuck in minor red tape, nothing major, but its progressing as scheduled and going well. If you kept your eyes open you'd see some hints lately.

Doddler mentioning that he's now a certified Vita developer? I think someone brought that up here.

Jazz573

Not that I know of.

Anyways JAST USA has 20% off their entire catalog and a daily 50% off, and today it's Starless (wouldn't buy right now because it's buggy as fuck).

Lain

Not that I know of.

Anyways JAST USA has 20% off their entire catalog and a daily 50% off, and today it's Starless (wouldn't buy right now because it's buggy as fuck).

Starless isn't buggy (they fixed the CG zooming problems and the characters being in the wrong places months ago) but the script has a lot of typos which they have yet to fix (I'm still waiting for that patch to go back to play it).

Not that I know of.

That just started today? Cause if so, I guess I'll wait on Steins;Gate and see if that hits 50% off. I'd prefer ordering the physical copy, but if I can snag the download at a good price, why not?

Aku-Audi

Any reason why some of the SP games on Steam have cards, while others dont?

It depends on which games you are referring to but just to clear up in general, some companies do not allow assets and art from their games to be used outside of the actual game's capacity (promotional, charity, steam cards) and in other cases it is also the artists themselves that have the art locked down to game only. Add that to the fact Steam cards are not very well established among Japanese developers and they are slow on the trigger.

That being said, I been clearing steam card support left and right so expect a rather large roll out over the coming months. In the end, very few games are gonna be without Steam card support in the catalog.

Shizuka

It depends on which games you are referring to but just to clear up in general, some companies do not allow assets and art from their games to be used outside of the actual game's capacity (promotional, charity, steam cards) and in other cases it is also the artists themselves that have the art locked down to game only. Add that to the fact Steam cards are not very well established among Japanese developers and they are slow on the trigger.

That being said, I been clearing steam card support left and right so expect a rather large roll out over the coming months. In the end, very few games are gonna be without Steam card support in the catalog.

Can't someone draw some smilies and some happy faces? I mean, people from XSEED did it with the achievements for some of their games.

Aku-Audi

Well I rather make real cards than smiley faces, but as I said, very few games will be without cards once I am done.

As for the others, we can't just add these things into games without clearance from the developers.

Shizuka

Well I rather make real cards than smiley faces, but as I said, very few games will be without cards once I am done.

As for the others, we can't just add these things into games without clearance from the developers.

Got it. I wish japanese developers weren't so strict, I mean, your brand won't lose value because the Steam release has cards.

Aku-Audi

Got it. I wish japanese developers weren't so strict, I mean, your brand won't lose value because the Steam release has cards.

It'll come, they just gotta get more familiar with the concept. Plenty we talked to are warming up to it.

I am doing a SP live stream soon again and will probably talk more about the upcoming cards then.

Shizuka

Lemme ask, does all visual novels sold through Steam work with Windows 10? I'm thinking about updating my PC and tablet, but those are the only things keeping me from doing so.

Lemme ask, does all visual novels sold through Steam work with Windows 10? I'm thinking about updating my PC and tablet, but those are the only things keeping me from doing so.

I believe so. Windows 10 compatibility is pretty much the same as it is for Windows 8. The VNs with problems on W10 are the ones with issues on any post Windows 7 release and none of those should be on Steam.

Falk

that puzzling face

It'll come, they just gotta get more familiar with the concept. Plenty we talked to are warming up to it.

I am doing a SP live stream soon again and will probably talk more about the upcoming cards then.

Heh, it's always amusing when people contract a publisher because they want to sell in a specific region/platform and the publisher has specifically has that expertise w.r.t. trends, expectations, etc., then they double back because "MUH GAME". Regional rights are a bitch though.

Thankfully a lot of smaller Japanese studios are warming up to the fact that you can sell your game a lot more than just 200 copies at Comiket. Things aren't nearly as bad as, say, 5 years ago before Recettear etc and some of the other frontrunners proved it can work.

edit: Wait, at this point Recettear English localization is actually more than 5 years ago. I feel old. :(

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who couldn't care less about Steam cards. They sound like a big deal to some :x

Top Bottom