• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

If you're going to post a link to every single Kickstarter update, at least quote something from it or have some commentary on what the update is...

All the promotion and new tiers Mikandi have been doing this week has really worked out for them.
7PSKOEr.png

This is their best stretch since the first 4 days of the Kickstarter.

grim-tales

Wasnt the KS for Root Double launching today?
I think the cost of the physical game (+ Steam copy) is now $60 so thats more reasonable.

Shizuka

Fruit of Grisaia is half off on Steam now. On other news, the case for my Windows tablet finally arrived, now I'll have the safety I need to play my visual novels on the go.

Just after my post and SP advertising Libra, it shot up a few thousand! It... just might make it!

What the hell happened that got it so many new backers that quickly. Did it SP mentioning in their email really give it that much? I'm pretty sure this is getting funded now.

Jazz573

What the hell happened that got it so many new backers that quickly. Did it SP mentioning in their email really give it that much? I'm pretty sure this is getting funded now.

Wonder how much that special code got leaked. I mean besides my leaking. :p

Edit:

A Look at the biggest visual novels that are looking to be released or re-translated in English in 2016. From Fuwanovel

Edit2:

New Libra Update

Libra of the Vampire Princess KS Update #16: Mari Long Tapestry V2.0, Kururu Kurasaka Cosplay Profile!

In addition to the tapestry tier announced in the last update, they're adding an alarm clock to that tier. Oh and AMA with a cosplayer for some reason.

Edit 3:

Some guy put together a Kickstarter project tracker. Seems only VNs right now. It's called StatBackr. Not sure the point when Kicktraq exists.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap over 6k in just a couple hours for Libra! Everytime I checked it went up by 1k! That's definitely making up for the holiday lull. It'll get done now!!

SP actually helped it than creating a loss. That's great (and I can buy them both too!)

blacksark

Haven't read that pqube tweet until now, S;G 0 and chaos head/robotics notes or whatever?
Geraint evans also said this sometime ago: "Getting SO close to being able to start talking about our 2016 releases and plans. I think a lot of people are going to be pretty hyped! ^_^"
Seriously I don't want to know how much I'm going to spend in vn.
Don't forget to look up root double as seems very promising.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't read that pqube tweet until now, S;G 0 and chaos head/robotics notes or whatever?
Geraint evans also said this sometime ago: "Getting SO close to being able to start talking about our 2016 releases and plans. I think a lot of people are going to be pretty hyped! ^_^"
Seriously I don't want to now how much I'm going to spend in vn.
Don't forget to look up root double as seems very promising.

I'm pretty excited with 2016 overall with gamin! VN lengths will not help with backlogs though....

jonjonaug

PQube has been teasing announcements "next month" for about a year now, and then every month they go "sorry, not ready yet, look forward to next month...". I'll believe them when I see them.

First game+box and soundtrack are on the list! I am excite!

Knowing how Sekai Project is with quality control the box will contain a copy of some other game instead.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing how Sekai Project is with quality control the box will contain a copy of some other game instead.

When did they ever actually have an issue with QA on their products? I never even heard anything on it, unless you are just playing on their reputation with KS in general.

jonjonaug

When did they ever actually have an issue with QA on their products? I never even heard anything on it, unless you are just playing on their reputation with KS in general.

https://gareblogs.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/vn-review-sakura-spirit/

Along with other examples of poor/non-existent editing, cobbling together work from multiple translators, long delays, putting out the VN equivalent of shovelware, etc.

Grisia has been the exception for them in terms of quality, not the norm (even then, that's more due to the dedication of the translator and editor contracted for the game, rather than on the company). And it still took them over a year to put together the physical release of what was essentially an already finished product.

Shizuka

Along with other examples of poor/non-existent editing, cobbling together work from multiple translators, long delays, putting out the VN equivalent of shovelware, etc.

Grisia has been the exception for them in terms of quality, not the norm (even then, that's more due to the dedication of the translator and editor contracted for the game, rather than on the company). And it still took them over a year to put together the physical release of what was essentially an already finished product.

That's becoming more often than ever.

Aku-Audi

Don't think we had anything to do with the editing of SS. We published the game and were given a build that the responsible group did QA on, but it wasn't under our watch as far as I recall. I believe those things were fixed swiftly by the developer as well? But you are entitled to your opinion of quality of course.

I play through all our games both in development stage and release build these days so it's even less likely to happen more than ever. But I do feel claiming shovelware is rather strange, since outside of a few select titles from certain partners which sometimes have varying degree of quality, that most of the games under my time at least have had either a fun charming story or in our platformers case great gameplay. Again, your opinion though, just sharing mine.

But I do have access and knowledge of the Grisaia production log and correspondence. I hope you are not making claims that are not properly researched or factual when it comes to being a publisher putting out phyical content with a strong brand management overseas. We try not to have our hands tied in any situation, and sometimes these things require a lot of talks and requests that might never come to mind unless you worked with bringing out localized content. Hell even with the experience, some details are very particular and unexpected, yet require A LOT of TLC before all other parties are satisfied. Try it sometime, it's a great way to go bald.

Also before the question of "why not write that in the updates", this company has an amazing relationship to the companies we work with (better than any other company I worked with) and I respect any requests that come from developers, even if they can affect and delay a product because they are ultimately responsible for these great stories, I'm really no one to complain, just to offer my opinion and do my best effort for both them and you.

Shizuka

Shovelware? Not really. They aren't even affiliated with the Sakura titles anymore and I don't really think its accurate to label doujin games as shovelware (many of those aren't even VNs anyway).

When you're releasing high-profile titles, that's the standard you'll be held to, by a lot of people. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I do get the feeling that some of their titles are just being sent to die just to pad out their portfolio.

When you're releasing high-profile titles, that's the standard you'll be held to, by a lot of people. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I do get the feeling that some of their titles are just being sent to die just to pad out their portfolio.

Underpromoting titles is different from releasing shovelware, but promoting titles on modern crowded-ass Steam is actually a pretty challenging thing for small publishers to do. Look at XSeed struggling with the same issue. Though SP could certainly do better, stealth releasing G-Senjou with barely any notice comes to mind.

jonjonaug

Underpromoting titles is different from releasing shovelware, but promoting titles on modern crowded-ass Steam is actually a pretty challenging thing for small publishers to do. Look at XSeed struggling with the same issue. Though SP could certainly do better, stealth releasing G-Senjou with barely any notice comes to mind.

I already forgot that was even released...

Top Bottom