• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

jonjonaug

Which is even weirder, since NTY was full-priced and Higurashi was just a few bucks.

A lot of people have already experienced Higurashi, and others might just be waiting for a 1-4 package. NTY is a great game, a full package on its own, hasn't been seen anywhere before in English, and is like the only good yaoi game to be officially released in English in a good long while (possibly ever). Seeing it so high up there gives me hope for future yaoi titles.

You guys should try NTY out if you haven't already, it's seriously a great game.

Jazz573

A lot of people have already experienced Higurashi, and others might just be waiting for a 1-4 package. NTY is a great game, a full package on its own, hasn't been seen anywhere before in English, and is like the only good yaoi game to be officially released in English in a good long while (possibly ever). Seeing it so high up there gives me hope for future yaoi titles.

You guys should try NTY out if you haven't already, it's seriously a great game.

I'm not really into yaoi so I'll pass. :p Otherwise I would play it, since from what I've seen it has hilarious dialogue. Just wish there was an all-ages version.

Shizuka

You're preaching to the choir, I pre-ordered the limited physical edition last year, got it a month after they shipped. I'd double-dip for the digital version, but I'm waiting for a sale.

Libra is less than 5k away from being funded with 6 days still left. They might reach multiple stretch goals here.

Oh, and that's only Mangagamer's store? Now that makes sense, why all those eroge titles selling better than Higurashi.
Yep, that chart excludes Steam and bundles. The first volume of Higurashi would be near the top of that list with Eden otherwise.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Libra is less than 5k away from being funded with 6 days still left. They might reach multiple stretch goals here.

It's crazy how fast the pace picked up! The past day is probably due to Mangagamer announcing that they will publish the H-version of it.

Shizuka

It's weird how the Vita's name has been dropped many times during the campaign, but it's still locked behind a stretch goal.

blacksark

The first two stretch goals are likely to happen, and the third is a possibility with a strong finish.

I believe it's possible that they meet all stretch goals, sad for me that I'm much more interested in root double seeing that due to kickstarter planning libra has done much better.

Sciel

Recently installed Splashtop on my Ipad/PC and played almost the entirety of Gahkthun by streaming it on the IPad. Going forward, I think i will do this for any visual novels i read as it was pretty good experience (much better than sitting on a chair and clicking away).

Moving on to the VN itself, it was a good VN with a number flaws imo. Not gonna go into specifics events from the game but my issues with the VN was basically:
1. I felt the pacing was pretty awful.
You get minimal info/hints on the "main" plot in the first 11 chapters. After that, everything gets thrown in your face in chapter 12.

Some chapters seem like just filler. Just to pad the game to have more chapters.

3. I've read a few reviews which touched on this but I didn't really like the episodic nature of the chapters.
After each character's "chapter" they basically don't appear anymore/appear in a minimal capacity for the rest of the game.

That said, I think it would translate quite well into an anime lol.

Im actually suprised that Demon Master Chris (A yuri title) did so well. Especially considering its in the vein of old school 90s RPGs like Kingsfield and Lightning Warrior Raidy with VN aspects.

Yuuichi

I just want to know if 5pb is self-publishing this.

this is 100% wild speculation on my part but I'm gonna take a gander that
pqube is gonna put out s;g, c;h and c;c on pc for them

edit: on second thought, I know something for sure:
they sure as hell aren't going through JAST

MangaGamer has Kindred Spirits on the Roof up for pre-order with a February 12th release date. Remember that this title is also coming to Steam. I don't know if they are giving Steam keys away with this like they have done with other products.

MangaGamer has Kindred Spirits on the Roof up for pre-order with a February 12th release date. Remember that this title is also coming to Steam. I don't know if they are giving Steam keys away with this like they have done with other products.

Awesome. A little expensive, but I hear its pretty lengthy, and high quality too. I'm going to wait till it goes on steam though.

Eh my apologies.

Marche90

Don't link to MangaGamer's website, it's NSFW.

To be more specific: if the website falls in the mangagamer.org domain, it's probably ok to link it (those pages never have NSFW content to my knowledge, plus they have the actual link to their store), but don't make links to the main website (aka the one ending with .com, nsfw as it gets)

jonjonaug

Lain

It usually says on the page if they'll provide a Steam Key but looking at the page it doesn't say it and that's weird, because their blog says this:

Liarsoft’s Kindred Sprits on the Roof is now available for pre-order! Kindred Spirits will be out on February 12th, just in time for Valentine’s day. Pre-order to pick it up at 15% off! Kindred Spirits will be DRM-free and all copies purchased from MangaGamer.com will come with a complimentary Steam key when the game is released on Steam. Let’s make this Valentine’s day a #yuritopia!

But well, I guess it should come with a Steam Key.

It usually says on the page if they'll provide a Steam Key but looking at the page it doesn't say it and that's weird, because their blog says this:

But well, I guess it should come with a Steam Key.

I hadn't seen the blog post. Good to know.

EDIT: An updated site is up for Kindred Spirits. Warning: May cause Firefox to hang for a few seconds on load, but it'll still load up. Good_Haro did a fantastic job putting this together, as usual.
Yeah, Firefox does not like that site.

Im actually suprised that Demon Master Chris (A yuri title) did so well. Especially considering its in the vein of old school 90s RPGs like Kingsfield and Lightning Warrior Raidy with VN aspects.

I bought it because it was yuri.
Never underestimate yuri fans.. we need our fix too

Haven't felt like playing a VN in way too long. Is there any translated "Bunch of people try to survive in an isolated environment" VN out there you'd recommend?

Already played:
Remember11
Ever17
Virtue's Last Reward
DR1
DR2
Killer Queen
Euphoria

This is my favorite trope, Root Double's kickstarter fucking HURTS (the things I'd do to read another Nakazawa VN in the vein of E17, R11 and 999...)

Shizuka

Haven't felt like playing a VN in way too long. Is there any translated "Bunch of people try to survive in an isolated environment" VN out there you'd recommend?

Already played:
Remember11
Ever17
Virtue's Last Reward
DR1
DR2
Killer Queen
Euphoria

This is my favorite trope, Root Double's kickstarter fucking HURTS (the things I'd do to read another Nakazawa VN in the vein of E17, R11 and 999...)

Not completely unrelated, but have you played Steins;Gate? Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls? Banshee's Last Cry?

I bought it because it was yuri.
Never underestimate yuri fans.. we need our fix too

Oh i'm a huge fan as as well (to the point I have trouble playing non Yuri VN's LOL).

Was just thinking it's a pretty niche genre, with the only mainstream series I know of being the Sono Hanibira games, was pretty surprised it did so well overall.

Oh i'm a huge fan as as well (to the point I have trouble playing non Yuri VN's LOL).

Was just thinking it's a pretty niche genre, with the only mainstream series I know of being the Sono Hanibira games, was pretty surprised it did so well overall.

As a yuri fan , you should understand that the number of yuri titles is ...low

So i'm not surprised it performed well .. The hanabira games are great ..but not many franchises are localised in that genre.

Like all those "otome" games that are slowly trying to get a solid foothold in the "west" , i wish the yuri games could do the same.

As a yuri fan , you should understand that the number of yuri titles is ...low

So i'm not surprised it performed well .. The hanabira games are great ..but not many franchises are localised in that genre.

Like all those "otome" games that are slowly trying to get a solid foothold in the "west" , i wish the yuri games could do the same.

So was the game actually good? I, uh, wouldn't object to adding some yuri to my collection, but I'm not exactly swimming in cash to spend on such things.

So was the game actually good? I, uh, wouldn't object to adding some yuri to my collection, but I'm not exactly swimming in cash to spend on such things.

In my opinion, it was slightly below average.

But my opinion is biased since i'm judging it by what i've already played and most of them aren't translated titles.

You should know that i'm not a fan of raidy for exemple ( despite the setting ) so demon master chris is "ok" in my eyes

In my opinion, it was slightly below average.

But my opinion is biased since i'm judging it by what i've already played and most of them aren't translated titles.

You should know that i'm not a fan of raidy for exemple ( despite the setting ) so demon master chris is "ok" in my eyes

LOL, you dont like Raidy? I happen to love the games, in a guilty pleasure/Rance sort of way. Maybe it justs because i'm a fan of old school RPG's, and Yuri BDSM. Or maybe you dont like the miniscule amount of het content? Or it's really rapey like Rance?

I think Raidy's bisexual, with a leaning towards woman, because those are 99 percent of her lovers.

Top Bottom