• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Imo its actually quite sad that Nekopara sells so well, while fault, WEE2, Sound of drop and G-Senjou are not the hottest selling titles...

Well, the price would probably be a big factor. Nekopara are only a couples bucks to buy, even at full price. The other titles are... a bit more than that.

Jazz573

I assume they release the Loli-Game for the Nekopara crowd on Steam. I mean even the second game is out for 1 month and sold about 55.000 times and that loli-game looks like its going into a similar direction.

Imo its actually quite sad that Nekopara sells so well, while fault, WEE2, Sound of drop and G-Senjou are not the hottest selling titles...

Well I'm not buying G-Senjou, because I don't like how SP handled it. And displeased there is still no news on the 18+ version. My plan is to buy the original version and apply the fan patch.

I assume they release the Loli-Game for the Nekopara crowd on Steam. I mean even the second game is out for 1 month and sold about 55.000 times and that loli-game looks like its going into a similar direction.

WEE2 has sold well. Sound of Drop is really obscure and G-Senjou was a controversial release that was stealthy put out and never promoted, and is a lot more expensive than Nekopara ($40 for the complete game).

I just finished Watanagashi

woah man, woah

SHION'S DEATH WAS SUCH A COP OUT ;_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________;

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Funny. I just finished this myself. Should I post a review? Or move on to quickly get rid of that damn post VN emptiness before I buy up every drama CD tokuten I can find on auction sites.

Sure, go ahead I'd be interested in getting some opinions!

rickyson1

so how's root double regarded? first i've heard of it and wondering if it's worth getting

I suppose the obvious question since it talks up a connection with ever17 and i've played both of them is how does it compare to ever17/remember11?

anyone? willing to buy it on release if it's actually good

Knurek

anyone? willing to buy it on release if it's actually good

Here's GundamAce (one of the Lemnisca translators) review of the game

If you're worried about spoilers, here's the most relevant part:
Overall: 10/10
I confess, people- I'm having trouble deciding what's the better game- this or Ever17. On one hand, this game didn't really have the mind blowing twists Ever17 did, and the final route had admittedly slow pacing. On the other hand, this game had a more complex plot than Ever17, was tied together much better, had a much larger scope, solved all its mysteries (and had more mysteries than Ever17 to boot), still had very good twists, had a better cast, and could get just as emotional as Ever17. For now, let's just say that it's tied with Ever17 for my favorite VN.

Nohar

After several years, I finally decided to buy and play Ghost Trick. I wasn't expecting much, initially I wasn't fond of the gameplay, and I just thought it would be a passable VN that would keep me occupied while waiting for Ace Attorney 6 (sadly, I guess we won't get the one with Sherlock Holmes anytime soon) and Zero Escape 3.

Let's just say that I was dead wrong, and that I should have played that game ages ago. I haven't finished it yet (I shouldn't be too far from the ending), but this game skyrocketed pretty quickly to the top of my "Best Games" list. I highly recommend you play it.

I hope Ever17 will be a good surprise: I have it, but never found the time to actually play it. I think it is high time I give that VN a try, and I'm fully expecting my mind to be blown.

cj_iwakura

Ghost Trick is one of those games that should be considered mandatory. As in if your DS shows no history of having played it, the government confiscates it.

aravuus

I hope Ever17 will be a good surprise: I have it, but never found the time to actually play it. I think it is high time I give that VN a try, and I'm fully expecting my mind to be blown.

Don't let the non-true routes bum you out if you find yourself bored, they're kinda.. Shit

The true route more than makes up for it

Knurek

CehBczGW4AAwIEA.jpg:large

Confirmed fake, before you get angry at SP, just posting here in case someone stumbles upon that and thinks it's real.

aravuus

I don't understand people that like Ever17 and only like one route. But then I like the game for more than just OMG TWISTS.

Well, the non-true routes are pretty straight forward romance stories with no real intrigue, mystery (aside from the premise and setting, obviously) or really any interesting plot development, so I'm not sure what's so particularly weird about only really liking the true route.

The true route is a whole different beast. It's been years since I played Ever17, but I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed the story as much as I did if they just threw away the non-true routes and replaced them with a couple of hours of character development before the true route content starts.

e: no wait,
Tsugumi's
route might have been fairly relevant to the true route. So keep that, ditch the rest.

CehBczGW4AAwIEA.jpg:large

Confirmed fake, before you get angry at SP, just posting here in case someone stumbles upon that and thinks it's real.

Read the first line and legit got a bit annoyed before I noticed that it's fake lol

Nohar

Finished Ghost Trick. Definitly one of the best experience I had in a long time. It kinda was like my very first Ace Attorney game, except maybe even better (yes, I enjoyed Ghost Trick that much). My only regret is that, unlike Ace Attorney, I can't buy the sequel immediatly, since there is no sequel to Ghost Trick.

Damn, the feels. They are overhelming. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to do pretty much what everyone probably did after completing the game, assuming those players and I share the same thing (spoilers for Ghost Trick, do not click unless you've completed the game:
pet my cat
).

Nohar

Did you play Ghost Trick on IOS or DS?

Played it on my N3DS (ie. DS). Bought a copy of the game on the internet. I gave up on using the stylus pretty quickly, since I found playing the game with the buttons and analog stick to be more enjoyable.

... Wait a second. How come the analog stick worked at all? The thought never occured to me until now, but the analog pad shouldn't have worked, since it is a DS game, right? *actually genuinely confused right now*

Played it on my N3DS (ie. DS). Bought a copy of the game on the internet. I gave up on using the stylus pretty quickly, since I found playing the game with the buttons and analog stick to be more enjoyable.

... Wait a second. How come the analog stick worked at all? The thought never occured to me until now, but the analog pad shouldn't have worked, since it is a DS game, right? *actually genuinely confused right now*
The 3DS maps the circle pad to the dpad in DS games. There are still only 8 directions, but it's much more comfortable than the dpad for games where you often make circular motions.

Knurek

Aku, I know you are reading this thread, so let me tell you the fact that you've been keeping extremely silent about the release date for Root Double is extremely confusing and/or worrying.

If you're under NDA with Regista, just state so. Your contract can't possibly stipend that the NDA's existence is a part of NDA. Your last Kickstarter update was almost three weeks ago, promising future updates. Not a peep since then. If the game is to be delayed, honestly it's better to state so out loud even with a boilerplate PR response ("the game is on track for release, unfortunately we can't divulge more information at this time"), instead of leaving people hanging.

Just my $.02.

Anko

Well, fuck. I kind of overdid the review and even hit the character limit on GAF. Now I'm too embarrassed to even post it. So...

Tokyo Necro Review Summary
Yuri fans should definitely play this. Don't worry, Fukami definitely has our back. We need more VNs that include yuri like this.

Awesome for the most part. I LOVED Ethika and Kiriri, disliked Souun and Ilya quite a bit, liked the rest of the characters. Ethika's just awesome. True route was disappointing, but Kiriri and Kon Su's routes were awesome. Mitsumi's was pretty okay. You would probably enjoy the true route a lot more if you didn't dislike Souun x Ilya like I do. Individual routes tied up their own endings quite nicely. True end felt a little rushed to me.

I played in this order and would recommend those looking to enjoy the Yuri/Ethika arcs to use this:
Ilya > Mitsumi > Kiriri > Kon Su > Ilya refresher > True end
Seriously, Ethika is fucking awesome.

Aku-Audi

Aku, I know you are reading this thread, so let me tell you the fact that you've been keeping extremely silent about the release date for Root Double is extremely confusing and/or worrying.

If you're under NDA with Regista, just state so. Your contract can't possibly stipend that the NDA's existence is a part of NDA. Your last Kickstarter update was almost three weeks ago, promising future updates. Not a peep since then. If the game is to be delayed, honestly it's better to state so out loud even with a boilerplate PR response ("the game is on track for release, unfortunately we can't divulge more information at this time"), instead of leaving people hanging.

Just my $.02.

I am reading, but I am also traveling (on a convention tour through the US.) to do panels and presentations for the company. I can't cater to all fan demand at once unfortunately.

Root, all I know is that Japan are doing their last part for launch and I am just waiting for news. It's not even so much NDA as it is them working and being a bit dark on details. The steam page went up very recently which should tell you it's pretty close.

BTW people, I'm sitting here at the office with a Ps4 devkit and some paper to sign. Hmm. Guess I'll have to spill some beans and have some proper release dates for you guys in April and May.

Well, fuck. I kind of overdid the review and even hit the character limit on GAF. Now I'm too embarrassed to even post it. So...

Tokyo Necro Review Summary
Yuri fans should definitely play this. Don't worry, Fukami definitely has our back. We need more VNs that include yuri like this.

Awesome for the most part. I LOVED Ethika and Kiriri, disliked Souun and Ilya quite a bit, liked the rest of the characters. Ethika's just awesome. True route was disappointing, but Kiriri and Kon Su's routes were awesome. Mitsumi's was pretty okay. You would probably enjoy the true route a lot more if you didn't dislike Souun x Ilya like I do. Individual routes tied up their own endings quite nicely. True end felt a little rushed to me.

I played in this order and would recommend those looking to enjoy the Yuri/Ethika arcs to use this:
Ilya > Mitsumi > Kiriri > Kon Su > Ilya refresher > True end
Seriously, Ethika is fucking awesome.

Something yuri fans would enjoy ?

Ok it's on my radar now.

Lain

I am reading, but I am also traveling (on a convention tour through the US.) to do panels and presentations for the company. I can't cater to all fan demand at once unfortunately.

Root, all I know is that Japan are doing their last part for launch and I am just waiting for news. It's not even so much NDA as it is them working and being a bit dark on details. The steam page went up very recently which should tell you it's pretty close.

BTW people, I'm sitting here at the office with a Ps4 devkit and some paper to sign. Hmm. Guess I'll have to spill some beans and have some proper release dates for you guys in April and May.

That's... interesting.

Anko

Something yuri fans would enjoy ?

Ok it's on my radar now.
Oh yes, definitely. You know there's a lesbian character somewhere in the series when Fukami Makoto is involved. Ethika is as much a lead character as the male lead, Souun. I really liked her character and it's worth going through Tokyo Necro for her. She's probably one of the best leads a yuri fan could ask for.

jonjonaug

Oh yes, definitely. You know there's a lesbian character somewhere in the series when Fukami Makoto is involved. Ethika is as much a lead character as the male lead, Souun. I really liked her character and it's worth going through Tokyo Necro for her. She's probably one of the best leads a yuri fan could ask for.

So I looked over the CG set for this game and hooooooly shit you weren't kidding. I think there's at least if not more yuri and futa on female in this game than there is straight sex. It looks incredibly schlocky and incredibly fun. Those chainsaws lmao.

Now I really want to read it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
How avoidable is the guro? I've historically avoided Nitro+ as much as possible since I usually can't stomach dark/extreme stuff, especially anything torture related ( ´-д-)

Marche90

So I looked over the CG set for this game and hooooooly shit you weren't kidding. I think there's at least if not more yuri and futa on female in this game than there is straight sex. It looks incredibly schlocky and incredibly fun. Those chainsaws lmao.

Now I really want to read it.

Erm... yeah, I think I may pass on this one.

._.

Jazz573

How avoidable is the guro? I've historically avoided Nitro+ as much as possible since I usually can't stomach dark/extreme stuff, especially anything torture related ( ´-д-)

Gore*. There's no guro. It has to be explicitly in sexual context to be guro.

Anko

Erm... yeah, I think I may pass on this one.

._.
Reason being? Too much yuri? Don't like futa?

If it's the former, there's actually just as many hetero scenes as yuri ones. Some yuri fans may not even consider the futa scenes yuri. If it's the latter then don't either. The main yuri isn't futa and no one grew a dick. I'm not one who likes futa at all but I was okay with Tokyo Necro because the most important part is still absolutely, without a doubt yuri.

There's also a
gay male
side character but it's only mentioned for a bit. It did have an impact on how the story turned out though.

Gore wise, there's not much to be seen. There's perhaps one squirmy torture scene? Didn't last long though.

In terms of torture, yes there's a few. There's two to three? rape scenes, but not much violence involved. Just some butt smacking.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Gore*. There's no guro. It has to be explicitly in sexual context to be guro.
Not really interested in arguing about english semantics but as far as Japan is concerned, グロ注意 (guro warning) tags are commonly used for any kind of gore, and tokyo necro's erogamescape page has a guro tag, which is why I asked.

Gore wise, there's not much to be seen. There's perhaps one squirmy torture scene? Didn't last long though.

In terms of torture, yes there's a few. There's two to three? rape scenes, but not much violence involved. Just some butt smacking.
Think I'm going to skip as usual then.

Top Bottom