• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

Anyone here played Eve: Burst Error?
I've been thinking of finally playing the game, got a Desura copy in a bundle some time ago. It doesn't seem to play any music under Windows 10 though, I'm guessing due to whatever version of DirectX it's using being deprecated...

Luckily there's that online version, which is even better due to having PC-98 music as an option. Has been ported to an offline executable?

And another question - are there any dead ends in the game? Can't find any walkthrough/guide, I know you need to switch characters from time to time, but is there anything else I should be wary of?
I'd be shocked if GameFAQs doesn't have a guide.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking of finally playing the game, got a Desura copy in a bundle some time ago. It doesn't seem to play any music under Windows 10 though, I'm guessing due to whatever version of DirectX it's using being deprecated...

Luckily there's that online version, which is even better due to having PC-98 music as an option. Has been ported to an offline executable?

And another question - are there any dead ends in the game? Can't find any walkthrough/guide, I know you need to switch characters from time to time, but is there anything else I should be wary of?
Interested in your impressions if you end up playing it.

just finished planetarian

Decent, worth trying when on sale. Didn't cry though.

Guess what, APRIL. FUCKING. FOOLS.

;____________________________________________________;

I THOUGHT I DIDN'T EVEN LIKE IT THAT MUCH
WHY THE FUCK AM I CRYING

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I played the original Himeya release, so I dunno if anything's changed... but I really couldn't get into it. Relentlessly obtuse, and one of the worst translations I've ever seen.

Anyway, looks like Tokyo Babel came out yesterday. Worth looking into?

Danny Dudekisser

So, it's been a while since I've bought any VNs from MangaGamer (last one was Kara no Shoujo, back when it first came out.) Not sure if it's changed at all, but how burdensome is the DRM with Mangagamer or JAST's digitally distributed games these days? Having to activate online is obnoxious, but if I can do that once and then back the "unlocked" game up and not have an issue, I don't mind.

Curious, cuz I want to get Kara no Shoujo 2.

Unrelated: I thought this thread was completely dead. I'm kinda shocked it's gotten so many posts. Moving to the community forum was the perfect disappearing act.

jonjonaug

So, it's been a while since I've bought any VNs from MangaGamer (last one was Kara no Shoujo, back when it first came out.) Not sure if it's changed at all, but how burdensome is the DRM with Mangagamer or JAST's digitally distributed games these days? Having to activate online is obnoxious, but if I can do that once and then back the "unlocked" game up and not have an issue, I don't mind.

Unrelated: I thought this thread was completely dead. I'm kinda shocked it's gotten so many posts. Moving to the community forum was the perfect disappearing act.

Mangagamer's games are mostly DRM free these days. Same goes for JAST I think. The only reason games are released with DRM now is at the request of the original developer.

MangaGamer doesn't use DRM for its titles anymore and have removed it from a lot of their past releases (though some older titles still have it, probably some licensing issues). Kara no Shoujo 2 is DRM free. I don't think JAST uses DRM anymore either.

Community hurts discovery for new posters, it doesn't stop the people subscribed to the thread from following it.

Danny Dudekisser

MangaGamer doesn't use DRM for its titles anymore and have removed it from a lot of their past releases (though some older titles still have it, probably some licensing issues). Kara no Shoujo 2 is DRM free.

Oh, awesome. That was honestly the biggest reason why I hadn't bothered to buy the game yet -- figured I was better off just getting the physical release when/if it happened.

Actually, now I'm kinda tempted to just go ahead and buy Tokyo Babel. Everything about it looks like exactly the kind of game I'd like, and DRM-free makes the decision even easier.

Jazz573

MangaGamer doesn't use DRM for its titles anymore and have removed it from a lot of their past releases (though some older titles still have it, probably some licensing issues). Kara no Shoujo 2 is DRM free. I don't think JAST uses DRM anymore either.

Community hurts discovery for new posters, it doesn't stop the people subscribed to the thread from following it.

Fortunately it does cut down on driveby shitposts.

Just finished Fault millestone 2 Side Above.

Where is my Side : below dammit ??

It's really impressive how i like fault in the way they handled the world building and i really want MORE.

When it ended i was like "WAT" only to remember that Fault 1 did a much meaner cliffanger last time.

i want more , Dammit

Danny Dudekisser

I went ahead and bought Tokyo Babel, though I'm not sure when I'll actually play it. Maybe I'll start it on my 7-hour plane ride in a couple days. Anyway, I think it's cool that this stuff is being released DRM-free now -- That was really all it took for me to buy my first game from MG in like 5 years.

Which brings me to... Steins;Gate. I keep forgetting, is the PC version or PS3 version the way to go? I seem to recall the PS3 version had higher res art, but I dunno if it was just a crappy upscale or if there were other issues of some sort.

Shizuka

I went ahead and bought Tokyo Babel, though I'm not sure when I'll actually play it. Maybe I'll start it on my 7-hour plane ride in a couple days. Anyway, I think it's cool that this stuff is being released DRM-free now -- That was really all it took for me to buy my first game from MG in like 5 years.

Which brings me to... Steins;Gate. I keep forgetting, is the PC version or PS3 version the way to go? I seem to recall the PS3 version had higher res art, but I dunno if it was just a crappy upscale or if there were other issues of some sort.

If it's an option, go with the PS3 version.

The PS3 version has higher res art, but a minor bug with word wrapping for emails that's not in the PC version. There's not much difference otherwise.

Jazz573

Oh. StaircaseSubs released a 90% TL patch for Dracu-Riot! if anyone cares. UI isn't translated. One route is only 50% done. Also they won't be doing anymore work, so this is the final release.

Marche90

Oh. StaircaseSubs released a 90% TL patch for Dracu-Riot! if anyone cares. UI isn't translated. One route is only 50% done. Also they won't be doing anymore work, so this is the final release.

LOL

I forgot that date was mentioned before, so I guess it wasn't really a joke >.>

I'm sure the 50% will be completed one way or another. What I'm wondering is how good/bad the translation is. I read Hoshimemo using his translation before and while I didn't noticed anything wrong with it, not only I can't read any Japanese to save my life, I tend to read somewhat fast so I just gloss over certain parts (I rarely, if ever, notice typos due to this.)

Danny Dudekisser

Alright, one more question before I stop dominating the thread with questions: how's Nekopara? Like is it actually good? Y'know, aside from the cat fucking?

Guess I haven't payed particularly close attention to what's been coming out lately -- seems like all of a sudden, there's just tons of domestically-releases games I'm not terribly familiar with. And legitimately good ones! I never thought I'd see the genre expand like this in the US. Not ever.

Alright, one more question before I stop dominating the thread with questions: how's Nekopara? Like is it actually good? Y'know, aside from the cat fucking?

Guess I haven't payed particularly close attention to what's been coming out lately -- seems like all of a sudden, there's just tons of domestically-releases games I'm not terribly familiar with. I never thought I'd see the genre expand like this in the US. Not ever.
It's an empty and light hearted story about moe catgirls. I don't think it's all that great even at that, but it's cheap.

And feel free to keep asking questions.

Danny Dudekisser

It's an empty and light hearted story about moe catgirls. I don't think it's all that great even at that, but it's cheap.

Sounds like a pass. I guess I'm just looking for some cool stuff I haven't really considered before. I tend to focus pretty much exclusively on the dark, serious stuff, but I think it'd be cool to try something outside of that. That's hopefully also pretty.

Sounds like a pass. I guess I'm just looking for some cool stuff I haven't really considered before. I tend to focus pretty much exclusively on the dark, serious stuff, but I think it'd be cool to try something outside of that. That's hopefully also pretty.
Something like Eden* is probably more down your alley. It's serious dramatic story with really nice art and production values.

Yuuichi

I've heard enough good things about Fault at this point that I think I can safely recommend it here although I haven't played it myself.

Dunno how much else I can really recommend without knowing what else you've played, it doesn't help that I don't really play western releases anymore either.

It's always nice to see someone I don't recognize though.

Danny Dudekisser

I've heard enough good things about Fault at this point that I think I can safely recommend it here although I haven't played it myself.

Dunno how much else I can really recommend without knowing what else you've played, it doesn't help that I don't really play western releases anymore either.

It's always nice to see someone I don't recognize though.

I loved Steins;Gate and Kara no Shoujo.

I liked Song of Saya, but it was too short, didn't have enough art, and was a little too straightforward for my liking.

While not strictly VNs, stuff like Danganronpa, VLR, and Phoenix Wright are all among my favorites. And more recently, I liked all the VN segments in Stella Glow.

So, I definitely like longer, more complicated plotlines. I do tend to play the more serious stuff, but I'm open to light-hearted fare if it's good.

Yuuichi

I agree with the *Eden recommendation and will stand by the Fault one for your immediate tastes.

As for things with English translation but no official release, Rewrite would probably be up your alley, among other things.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Might want to play Chaos;Head if you're interested in exploring the science series more although it's more divisive and I second Fault Milestone One. Sharin no Kuni or G Senjou no Maou might be up your alley if you like darker worlds.

Danny Dudekisser

How does Higurashi sound? It's being retranslated by MangaGamer, and there are voice and graphics patches for it. Two chapters (out of 8) are on Steam and the third should release soon.

Higurashi is one I've been wanting to check out for a while, particularly after the original version's ghastly artwork got replaced. Though, how satisfying are the individual episodes? I'd kinda prefer not to bother at this point until the thing is done if there's going to be plot threads left hanging.

Umineko also seems pretty rad, but I honestly don't know how that thing is even being handled in the west.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Higurashi is one I've been wanting to check out for a while, particularly after the original version's ghastly artwork got replaced. Though, how satisfying are the individual episodes? I'd kinda prefer not to bother at this point until the thing is done if there's going to be plot threads left hanging.

Umineko also seems pretty rad, but I honestly don't know how that thing is even being handled in the west.
Umineko is using a touched up fan translation that's been out for a while by The Witch Hunt.

jonjonaug

Quite satisfying individually, each episode is a complete story to itself but also part of the larger whole. It's not like Umineko either where you really have to remember a bunch of stuff between episodes, the overall mystery connecting them is pretty simple.

Never watched/read Higurashi before, I am following the Mangagamer translation myself. I'd say it's pretty good and there's a brand new Ryukishi07 (Higurashi/Umineko writer) fan forum in which you could join in on the discussion alongside many other newcomers.

I'd say it's worth it. There's a PS3 graphics and voice patch for both Chapters already out as well:

Chapter 1's patch

Chapter 2's patch

cj_iwakura

Never watched/read Higurashi before, I am following the Mangagamer translation myself. I'd say it's pretty good and there's a brand new Ryukishi07 (Higurashi/Umineko writer) fan forum in which you could join in on the discussion alongside many other newcomers.

Kind of sad to see my fan translation of OMK is barely mentioned. :p I guess they really are thirsty for Cross, huh.

Top Bottom