• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Marche90

Reason being? Too much yuri? Don't like futa?

If it's the former, there's actually just as many hetero scenes as yuri ones. Some yuri fans may not even consider the futa scenes yuri. If it's the latter then don't either. The main yuri isn't futa and no one grew a dick. I'm not one who likes futa at all but I was okay with Tokyo Necro because the most important part is still absolutely, without a doubt yuri.

There's also a
gay male
side character but it's only mentioned for a bit. It did have an impact on how the story turned out though.

Gore wise, there's not much to be seen. There's perhaps one squirmy torture scene? Didn't last long though.

In terms of torture, yes there's a few. There's two to three? rape scenes, but not much violence involved. Just some butt smacking.

Futa. I really dislike it. Anyway, we'll see how I'm feeling about it around the time it releases. Whenever new releases dry up I tend to pick up whatever was released recently even if it's something I normally wouldn't touch.

Euphoria made me wary of doing that again -_-'

Anko

Futa. I really dislike it. Anyway, we'll see how I'm feeling about it around the time it releases. Whenever new releases dry up I tend to pick up whatever was released recently even if it's something I normally wouldn't touch.

Euphoria made me wary of doing that again -_-'
*minor early sex scene spoilers*

Would it help if I told you that Ethica is
never on the receiving end in her futa scene? She makes it clear that she doesn't mind using the strap on but does not like being the one it is used on. She minds when she was asked to use the strap on: "Were you actually hoping to sleep with a man?" and got the reply she wanted "If I wanted to sleep with a man, I would have just asked a man to sleep with me". Early on, too, when a lonely female side character makes a move on her, she doesn't go all the way with her because she knows that character was just desperately lonely, isn't looking to sleep with ladies and prefers men
. Ethica is someone who flirts a lot (with ladies only, of course), likes sex and doesn’t shy away from it but it doesn’t mean she will sleep with any female she comes across.

aravuus

Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but has anyone here read the Umineko manga? I just found out that one exists. I am still curious about the story and I don't think I have the time for a million-hour VN like Umineko, so I was wondering if the manga is any good vs the VN?

Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but has anyone here read the Umineko manga? I just found out that one exists. I am still curious about the story and I don't think I have the time for a million-hour VN like Umineko, so I was wondering if the manga is any good vs the VN?

AFAIK the manga (almost) outright explains the mysteries, and honestly you're incomparably better off with the VN. The VN took me a couple months, was worth every damn step of the way. You absolutely mustn't miss out on that music, it just isn't the same in manga form.

You HAVE to play Umineko, IMHO. It's a very unique experience.

aravuus

AFAIK the manga (almost) outright explains the mysteries, and honestly you're incomparably better off with the VN. The VN took me a couple months, was worth every damn step of the way. You absolutely mustn't miss out on that music, it just isn't the same in manga form.

You HAVE to play Umineko, IMHO. It's a very unique experience.

Goddamn it. FINE.

Managed to get the first 4 episodes run on my tablet, will try to read a bit every night before going to bed.

I'll have to say this :

Umineko without the music is a vastly different experience.
The manga's OK.

But umineko is about that music and those sound effects. the feelign's so much better

Frontwing announced another title coming over:

Following our announcement of Corona Blossom, Frontwing is proud to announce another new project: Purino Party!
Purino Party is a puzzle game, and it is planned to be released in English for the PC via Steam. (cont.)
Scenario writer Kazuya (The Fruit of Grisaia, Hatsumira) will serve as producer for Purino Party. (cont.)
At the current time, we can only announce the title of the project, but we plan to release more details about the title in the near future.

Lain

The music samplers on the The House in Fata Morgana MG page are pretty damn good. I'll be picking it up together with the OST.

I can't be the only one who's just confused by this whole thing. "Hey guys, let's take this niche series in a niche genre, grab one of the side story fighting games, one that's six years old, but we won't grab of the prequels so no one can understand the plot unless they've played the fan translations of the earlier games, and then lets release it for $25!" I just don't get it.

Jazz573

I can't be the only one who's just confused by this whole thing. "Hey guys, let's take this niche series in a niche genre, grab one of the side story fighting games, one that's six years old, but we won't grab of the prequels so no one can understand the plot unless they've played the fan translations of the earlier games, and then lets release it for $25!" I just don't get it.

Most people care more about the fighting.

Yuuichi

S;G 0 announced for PC this summer, I guess I'm gonna have a very N+ latter half of the year (necro, c;c, s;g0, reread c;h because it's been so long, ect)

remember to be on your guard before posting over the next 48 hours, it's already april fools day in Japan

S;G 0 announced for PC this summer, I guess I'm gonna have a very N+ latter half of the year (necro, c;c, s;g0, reread c;h because it's been so long, ect)

remember to be on your guard before posting over the next 48 hours, it's already april fools day in Japan

Great, now the Vita version stands a chance of localization.

aravuus

Of course Umineko EP2 has to be from the most boring character's POV

"I'm just furniture..." blah blah fucking blah, now let's starT KILLING PEOPLE

Knurek

That date at the beginning of the episode almost made me drop the whole game.
I'm so glad I didn't though.

JulianImp

Umineko does start slow, but you've been introduced to the witch's game by EP2, so you should begin trying to challenge it yourself as best as you can, because everything's supposedly solveable as soon as you're done with Ep2 (but I'd say Ep4 is the better stopping point to try and go back to solve each loop).

Umineko does start slow, but you've been introduced to the witch's game by EP2, so you should begin trying to challenge it yourself as best as you can, because everything's supposedly solveable as soon as you're done with Ep2 (but I'd say Ep4 is the better stopping point to try and go back to solve each loop).

what

I feel stupid

That date at the beginning of the episode almost made me drop the whole game.
I'm so glad I didn't though.

I'm just glad they remind the player how in love those two are in like every fuckin episode. Cause I didn't get it the first time. Like I get that you want to spent time to establish the characters but they literally tell you the same thing over and over again. And their relationship itself is fuckin boring. They spent like 1/10000th the time telling about the relationship between Krauss and Natsuhi or Rudolf and Kyrie and I found them to be much more interesting.

Been a long time since I read Umineko (except when I reread EP5 since it's my favourite) but I think EP2 was my least favourite of the first 4. 3 is the best.

jonjonaug

what

I feel stupid
This is totally true for most of the major mysteries (I'd figured out almost everything by the middle of ep 3), but some things aren't introduced until episode 3 which are Very Important (mondo spoilers:
Rosa's tale of meeting another Beatrice hinting at the culprit's identity in relation to other characters
). Episode 1's whodunit is totally solvable (and is actually rather easy) but the things that actually matter aren't. Episode 2 is probably the easiest in the series to solve.

aravuus

Concerning EP1, I'd go as far as saying it starts dreadfully slow. It got real good when shit started hitting the fan, though, so I'm sure EP2 will get good in a couple of hours, too.
At least Beatrice has already made her appearance.

Regarding the bolded part: I'm not a very good puzzle solver, plus it's been months since I played EP1, but I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for everything that seems like even remotely a hint. I doubt I'll be posting my possible theories cause they're probably going to be embarrassingly wrong, but we'll see!

e: less Shannon and George-samaaaaa~~~~ and more Battler pls

There is one thing in EP5 concerning one of the main big mysteries that really grinds my gears and I haven't seen an explanation that satisfies me.

How did Erika with Sherlock powers not notice anything weird when Shanon and Kanon were in the same room with her when she introduces herself to the family. The most annoying thing about this is that it could have been super easy to fix, just don't have one of them be in the room.

JulianImp

Concerning EP1, I'd go as far as saying it starts dreadfully slow. It got real good when shit started hitting the fan, though, so I'm sure EP2 will get good in a couple of hours, too.
At least Beatrice has already made her appearance.

Regarding the bolded part: I'm not a very good puzzle solver, plus it's been months since I played EP1, but I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for everything that seems like even remotely a hint. I doubt I'll be posting my possible theories cause they're probably going to be embarrassingly wrong, but we'll see!

e: less Shannon and George-samaaaaa~~~~ and more Battler pls

Ep1 had to introduce the whole cast, but things got interesting once Battler hit the 17<x<18 question, and stuff such as Eva's recepit scene and how Battler managed to turn things around to protect Natsuhi. Rereading it after finishing the rest makes the episode so different though... with the right foreknowledge (or deductions you could've made before then) it's so easy to tell what's going on and spot several hints that were actually hidden in plain sight it isn't even funny. You can almost picture Ryukishi laughing while writing a couple winks that you'll probably be none the wiser when you first read a given Umineko episode.

...And I can't speak about specific characters and circumstances at all because I might end up spoiling things for you, but reast assured that everything, from Jooji's character to the chemistry between Beato and Battler is quite deliberate and helps tie everything together, and that kind of cohesiveness is something I really enjoyed while reading Umineko.

XMSHO

I THOUGHT THAT WAS A REAL S;G 0 LEAK GOD DAMN IT

rXwbHoY.jpg

It was actually a good one XD

JulianImp

I have both, and the manga's cool if you can read Japanese, but ultimately worse than the VNs merely by virtue of the VN having music, which really helps set the tone. It'd kind of be like reading an Ace Attorney manga, where you wouldn't get the awesome cornered/turnabout music whenever a breakthrough is made.

I do like seeing the characters in motion (read: more poses/framing/camera angles), but off the top of my head there's a certain gandiloquent pair of characters whose speech patterns are made way simpler for the manga, episode 7 easily solves eps 1-4 (since it adds images to the cryptic explanations made in the VNs), and I've heard the manga decided to narrate a showdown during EP8 that happens offscreen in the VN where the remaining episodes are also explained.

Like the game itself says, things can't be unlearned, so having the very mechanics of the story explained to you means you won't ever be able to look back at it with that sense of wonder, helplessness and confusion that you might've had on your first run. If I could somehow forget a single piece of fiction to experience it again from scratch, Umineko would be my choice, no questions asked.

Knurek

Anyone here played Eve: Burst Error?
I've been thinking of finally playing the game, got a Desura copy in a bundle some time ago. It doesn't seem to play any music under Windows 10 though, I'm guessing due to whatever version of DirectX it's using being deprecated...

Luckily there's that online version, which is even better due to having PC-98 music as an option. Has been ported to an offline executable?

And another question - are there any dead ends in the game? Can't find any walkthrough/guide, I know you need to switch characters from time to time, but is there anything else I should be wary of?

Top Bottom