• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Knurek

Anyone here read the Realta Nua PC re-release of FATE/stay night?

Worth a read for someone who has already played the original PC version a few years ago (on a Nintendo DS, but oh well)? I've been thinking of trying to do so, especially since we should be getting hollow ataraxia voice patch soon.

Jazz573

Worth a read for someone who has already played the original PC version a few years ago (on a Nintendo DS, but oh well)? I've been thinking of trying to do so, especially since we should be getting hollow ataraxia voice patch soon.

I have played that version in fact it's the only one I played. Yeah, I still haven't played F/HA because I'm waiting for the voice patch.

Edit:

Apparently moogy posted this on Friday.

Ce8-BUWUIAA-tMT.jpg

So at least one of these things is actually true.

I'm not sure that I'd say it's worth replaying for the changes themselves, but if you're interesting in replaying anyway it enhances the experience.

I finished Magical Eyes and I liked it. It's basically a supernatural investigation story with some fighting scenes that has a well executed climax. The best part of it is actually one of the characters that isn't part of the "main cast," whose character arc they handle really well. It took about 5-6 hours to get through. The gameplay element isn't really that significant, you answer multiple choice questions that are presented as the protagonist clearing his thoughts on the case. They are easy if you've been paying attention and will unlock bonus scenes if you do it correctly.

I hope Fruitbat Factory brings over the sequel. This tells the story of a case that gets concluded in this episode, but it's clearly a setup/introductory chapter and there's a more central mystery hinted at that is still ongoing, as well a lot of things about the two main characters that are still unexplored.

Jazz573

evep2uxv.png

Oh, LOL, someone at C's Ware or whoever did the Win32 port was an Evangelion fan...

Windows port was in Japan too tho. So the tl people, which were from Himeya Soft (the US one, not the parent company of the US one and C's Ware.) Also how do you know that Kanno didn't write that in the original? Wait. Eva was airing around the time when Eve came out :p

Knurek

Also how do you know that Kanno didn't write that in the original? Wait. Eva was airing around the time when Eve came out :p

No way in hell - Kaji's first appearance was episode 8 of the series, which was first shown on 22.11.1995. PC-98 version of Eve: BE was released on 22.11.1995. :)

Yuuichi

Apparently moogy posted this on Friday.

Ce8-BUWUIAA-tMT.jpg

So at least one of these things is actually true.

ok, here goes:
1) True
2) True
3) False, but I could see MG doing Daito (I'm convinced they have Eustia) since they liked Evangile
4) False
5) False
6) ???
7) False
8) ???, but wouldn't surprise me
9) True
10) LOL
11) >TM releasing a game, unless the project is mobile
12) True
13) True

I'm not saying I'm right (and I have next to no insider knowledge when it comes to VN's, I only know cool arcade things), but I'm usually right.

Marche90

ok, here goes:
1) True
2) True
3) False, but I could see MG doing Daito (I'm convinced they have Eustia) since they liked Evangile
4) False
5) False
6) ???
7) False
9) True
10) LOL
12) True
13) True

I'm not saying I'm right (and I have next to no insider knowledge when it comes to VN's, I only know cool arcade things), but I'm usually right.

I sure as hell hope you're right. We need August's games released in English, and loved what little I saw/read of Daito.

And yeah, the thought of TM actually releasing another VN in this century makes me laugh.

I'm replaying it at the moment. It definitely adds some cool CGs, plus voice acting. I've heard the changes are really noticeable in Heaven's Feel, though, and I'm still just in Fate. I don't know that it's worth it just for those changes, but as Basileus777 said, if you've at all be wanting to give it a replay anyway, it definitely helps make it a bit fresher.

I sure as hell hope you're right. We need August's games released in English, and loved what little I saw/read of Daito.

And yeah, the thought of TM actually releasing another VN in this century makes me laugh.
I'm pretty sure it's meant to be yet another translation project, not something from TypeMoon.

Shizuka

That simultaneous release could be Root Letter, since it's already been announced as such and it's coming from a major publisher (Kadokawa).

PhleBuster

Neo Member
I finished Magical Eyes and I liked it. It's basically a supernatural investigation story with some fighting scenes that has a well executed climax. The best part of it is actually one of the characters that isn't part of the "main cast," whose character arc they handle really well. It took about 5-6 hours to get through. The gameplay element isn't really that significant, you answer multiple choice questions that are presented as the protagonist clearing his thoughts on the case. They are easy if you've been paying attention and will unlock bonus scenes if you do it correctly.

I hope Fruitbat Factory brings over the sequel. This tells the story of a case that gets concluded in this episode, but it's clearly a setup/introductory chapter and there's a more central mystery hinted at that is still ongoing, as well a lot of things about the two main characters that are still unexplored.
Happy to hear that! POMERA Studios spent close to 5 years planning and making the game, and there's a lot of loving detail put into it. They've been looking forward to the English release a lot, and I'm sure the feedback will encourage them. We're definitely hoping to bring over the sequel as well.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
ok, here goes:
1) True
2) True
4) False
5) False
6) ???
7) False
9) True
10) LOL
12) True
13) True

Your predictions seem way too good to be true. I'd give an arm and leg for White Album 2 and Eustia.

Gvitor

Finished Hotel Dusk yesterday. Really enjoyed it, thanks everyone who recommended it 200 pages ago.

I had to watch the extended ending on youtube though, because there was no way I'd replay the whole thing again for like, 20 seconds of extra footage.

Will try the sequel sometime in the future.

Shizuka

Finished Hotel Dusk yesterday. Really enjoyed it, thanks everyone who recommended it 200 pages ago.

I had to watch the extended ending on youtube though, because there was no way I'd replay the whole thing again for like, 20 seconds of extra footage.

Will try the sequel sometime in the future.

I still haven't played my copy, but I'm already searching for the sequel on eBay since it's bound to get more expensive in the future.

grim-tales

I still haven't played my copy, but I'm already searching for the sequel on eBay since it's bound to get more expensive in the future.

I thought the sequel was only released in Europe not North America? I may be wrong though.
Its a good thing DS games are region free.

So i finally took some time to clear some of my backlog and i played
"WAS - the hourglass of lepidoptera"

I spend a total of 6 hours on the game give or take.

The story was alright , the characters were ok and i really liked the final part.

That said .. holy sh*t it's short. and while the best girl has the ONLY route , i certainly wanted to see more sides of the story ( more routes , dammit ).

I mean , the final scene is clearly open for more story to be told.

Still , there 2 technical problems with WAS:

First the voice for the MC is completely uneven , in some scenes it's So low you'd wonder why nobody realised this mistake before . Did nobody tested the game with the voices ?

Second , on slower computers the engine does have trouble The butterfly animations and some of the transitions.
I started playing on a micro laptop and it struggled to run the game flawlessly.
It did run properly on my Desktop computer .

Overall i don't regret putting money on the kickstarter , WAS certainly had a nice premise AND good characters .. it's just a shame that the scope of the project was limited by the amount of budget they had.

It just show that Vns need a lot of people and time to be made i guess.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of WAS, it's been well over a month with no word on the refund. I keep checking back periodically to see if there's an update, and nothing since Feb 27.

Speaking of WAS, it's been well over a month with no word on the refund. I keep checking back periodically to see if there's an update, and nothing since Feb 27.

You've made me realise i've pledged much more than i remembered on Was , i guess i need to send them an email.

EDIT : i seems that indeed , there is no news for the WAS refund since the 27th of february

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You've made me realise i've pledged much more than i remembered on Was , i guess i need to send them an email.

EDIT : i seems that indeed , there is no news for the WAS refund since the 27th of february

Yeah it kinda sucks that no one's heard back :/ With all the Kickstarters I did pledge to (among other things I buy...) I'm not made of money either, since the whole product was unable to be sent out to people. They said that the physical artbook, manga, and soundtrack were still being produced, so that might be part of the hold up? Maybe those even got hauled. I have no idea! Just a partial refund would work for me, on the stuff unable to be sent.

(Hopefully a certain SP rep on here can help out with a little more info...)

Any update on Tatarigoroshi (Higurashi CH3?)

According to MangaGamer's project status page (which I won't link to because it's kinda NSFW, but a quick google search will get you there), it's 100% translated and edited, so I would think we'd be seeing a release date announcement soon.

I don't particularly watch anime and generally have a distaste for this type of thing. However, as I'm a student of Japanese I see a lot of use in it as a reading/comprehension practice tool. I'm a relative beginner, know my way about a decent amount of grammar (Genki is the book of choice in college), can read about 200 kanji (but would look up whatever new one I see), hiragana and katakana are no problem.

For those more familiar with non-translated versions, what can you recommend to a beginner from a language point of view? If it can be helped I'd avoid the cutesy, overly exaggerated stuff but since enjoyment isn't the primary goal, I'll bite my lip if possible.

As someone who enjoyed the White Album 2 anime, and has been waiting forever for the fan translation, I'd be so hyped if there ends up being an official release!

(And I can only wish for an official acoustic version of "White Album" that was used as the ending for the anime's first episode)

I don't particularly watch anime and generally have a distaste for this type of thing. However, as I'm a student of Japanese I see a lot of use in it as a reading/comprehension practice tool. I'm a relative beginner, know my way about a decent amount of grammar (Genki is the book of choice in college), can read about 200 kanji (but would look up whatever new one I see), hiragana and katakana are no problem.

For those more familiar with non-translated versions, what can you recommend to a beginner from a language point of view? If it can be helped I'd avoid the cutesy, overly exaggerated stuff but since enjoyment isn't the primary goal, I'll bite my lip if possible.

Some people over on /r/VisualNovels over on reddit put together this list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KnyyDt7jimEz-dgeMSKymRaT2r3QKBPm9AzqZ6oUWAs/pub Unfortunately, if you're looking for easier stuff, you're probably going to be stuck with stuff you don't like. Cutesy moe stuff is going to use simpler language than something with more heady or difficult themes/topics. But the list is pretty good sized, you might find something that sounds more or less passable to your tastes.

Yuuichi

Honestly, I'm probably going to go with VN's are not for you. IIRC what is generally agreed to be one of the simplest games (which I agree with), Flyable Heart, has somewhere north of 1600 unique Kanji, and significantly more complicated grammar than you're going to get from some entry level textbooks. If you want less cutesy games, expect the language to be an even greater challenge.

The only reason I managed to break in to reading untranslated games was because I cared enough about the medium to be willing to spend a disproportionate amount of time to do so, on top of having specific goals. If you don't care about the medium, there are other, more effective, and probably more fun (for you, at least) ways to practice learning the language in context. All I see right now is someone who's gonna give up halfway because it's too hard and there's no reason for them to keep going.

If you're studying JP for games, go play some normal games instead!
Games for kids (pokemon, youkai watch) have pretty simple language, you'll probably have more fun that way.

On a different note, the guy who called FH bad in that difficulty guide is an idiot.

If you're studying JP for games, go play some normal games instead!
Games for kids (pokemon, youkai watch) have pretty simple language, you'll probably have more fun that way.

Well, not exactly. The interest is mostly cultural/historical, not media driven. The fact that a lot of games I play are Japanese in origin is more of a lucky colateral than anything else. But I can see what you mean and these games might do fine as well for my purposes.

I'll check both of the options and the given list above. Thanks folks :)

Li Kao

Getting back into VN after a 15 days break, has there been a localization announcement concerning any 5pb title ? Some users talked about something like that some pages ago but it was mixed with talks about april's fools so who knows ?

Getting back and resuming my VN readings is a first for me as usually I stop reading after that type of burnout. Maybe this time I will really finish a VN ? So good.
So Cartagra is still fucking grim but really good and Danganronpa, well early ch.2 is nothing to write home about, but I guess this is the VN curse, padding. I'm still fully convinced that the madness will pick up again sometime soon, just suck to be in the slow zone.

Oh, the main question: am I alone in being burnt after some time with a VN, pausing it and getting back to it after some time ? Or is it more or less normal ? Maybe it's because I tried to play two games at the same time ?

Alanae

Regular games have the advantage of being easier to read than vns on average, but, in case of pc games they often lack support for text hooking, or in the case of console games are kind of hard to use any dictionary lookup tools for at all.
However, there are a bunch of games that have a high amount of furigana, which will help a lot.
for example, many of nintendo's, and the ps2 wild arms games.
otherwise you'd be stuck with the time consuming manually drawing out of kanji / radical searching.

In case of vns, some things that you might like that are relatively simple to read are the infinity games, the science adventure games, or stuff like root double, 12Riven or himawari (which currently is on sale for 500 yen).
if you're not really into sci-fi, A bunch of people I know played Aiyoku no Eustia as their first untranslated game and enjoyed it.

I'd recommend not to worry too much about the reading difficulty and instead try to pick out something you find interesting (that doesn't quite mean you should pay it not mind at all, though).
After all, no matter what you choose, it will probably be tough when you're just starting out reading.
Your motivation to read/play is something that will help you a lot with getting past that point..

Anko

Tsui Yuri
The yuri VN that went on a two year hiatus has finally been released.

Completed this short ten hour yuri VN before I went on my Granblue spree. It's alright. Nothing spectacular about it. It's a short enjoyable VN that should satsify your yuri craving for a bit. Story is simple and straightforward. The story follows twin sisters, Ichika (blonde) and Futaba (green haired), who both come to realise and subsequently struggle with their feelings for one another. The VN implements a simple bar slider, which is representative of the strength of the character's feelings for each other. The slider shifts based on the decisions made by the characters throughout the story, as they struggle with their feelings. It is said that it is important to keep their feelings balanced... What happens when the feelings on one side greatly dominate the other?

The VN is currently available exclusively as a digital release on Gyutto, which thankfully accepts foreign CCs. There is DRM. You will need to authenticate the game once by logging in to your Gyutto account. The physical retail version will be released on April 22nd.

Some info (based on my experience)
Total length: 8-10 hours
Level of Japanese required: Basic. Not a lot of big words so a dictionary should get you by if you're particularly weak with Kanji/vocab.
Voiceover: Fully voiced
Total no. of CGs: 36 (not counting variations)
No. of routes:

Yuri enthusiast's concerns
Is there futa? No.

The first of two concerns one would probably have is with the incest since they are undoubtedly blood related twins and are marketed as such. So, please avoid this VN if you are strongly against or are disturbed by incest.

The second will get spoilery. I'll try to keep spoilers minimal. There is what I would consider
rape
in one of the routes. Both characters
do love each other
in that scene, but one side
did not consent to that non-violent sex and was actively trying to stop it, regardless of how turned on she was
. It is meant to illustrate how fucked up it can get though.

Slightly spoilery thoughts:
For supposedly identical twins, they sure don't look alike. Of the two twins, I like Ichika a lot more than Futaba. I dislike brainless girls like her and her voice is rather annoying too, imo. Thankfully though, she grows as a character in certain routes and while she is a little more brainless than the average person, she at least sheds the side of her that lead to some of the problems faced by the characters in the story.

The two side characters are both likeable, in particular Yuri. They're really just support characters though, and don't have an arc of their own.

Tokyo Necro is getting an all-ages release? I suppose that could make localization more likely, especially if they work with someone other than JAST.
Those looking to avoid the
rape and torture
scenes can now enjoy this game for what it is.

I shall repeat what I said before: Ethica is the MC yuri fans have been waiting for. Don't miss it if you are the type who wants a story focused VN where one half of its dual protagonist is a lesbian.

While we're on the topic of playing untranslated VNs, I've tried to get several Japanese-only games running with text-hooking, and just can't get it to work. Is Windows 10 not supported for that yet? I have a laptop that's still on 7 if necessary, but I'd really prefer to play on my desktop if possible.

Yuuichi

While we're on the topic of playing untranslated VNs, I've tried to get several Japanese-only games running with text-hooking, and just can't get it to work. Is Windows 10 not supported for that yet? I have a laptop that's still on 7 if necessary, but I'd really prefer to play on my desktop if possible.

I believe windows 10 breaks AGTH and old ITH, but that VNR based stuff works.

Top Bottom