• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

aravuus

There's been so much stuff that I haven't read Umineko in like a week! Gonna try and read a couple of hours tomorrow.

Cause when Dark Souls 3 hits, everything else is left behind.

So uh, Frontwing is doing a localization Kickstarter for Sharin no Kuni.

Frontwing will begin gathering funds for an official “Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shojo” localization project on Kickstarter in June 2016. We have launched this project because we would like to give players from all around the world the chance to enjoy the popular PC game, “Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shojo,” a classic title for many visual novel fans. The game—which celebrated its tenth anniversary last year—will have the official English title, “Wheel Country, Sunflower Girl.”

Bishojo game developers Frontwing and AKABEi SOFT2 have collaborated to bring the project to life. Project management and reward fulfillment will be handled by Tokyo Otaku Mode. For more information, please check the project’s official Prefundia page.

News updates about the project will be posted on Frontwing’s official Facebook page and Twitter account, as well as on the project’s Prefundia page and Twitter account. Please look forward to our future announcements.

Which is kinda bad tbh, it could really use a new translation.
I think you're right, though it's been like 6 years since I've read it. But I kind of doubt they'd retranslate it from scratch, especially given that they are going the Kickstarter route after G-Senjou didn't exactly tear the Steam sales charts.

The whole thing is strange. Frontwing self-publishing their own titles on Steam is one thing, but becoming a localization partner for other Japanese companies when I don't think they have any staff outside of Japan?

Jazz573

I think you're right, though it's been like 6 years since I've read it. But I kind of doubt they'd retranslate it from scratch, especially given that they are going the Kickstarter route after G-Senjou didn't exactly tear the Steam sales charts.

The whole thing is strange. Frontwing self-publishing their own titles on Steam is one thing, but becoming a localization partner for other Japanese companies when I don't think they have any staff outside of Japan?

They want to cash in on westerners, probably.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
They want to cash in on westerners, probably.

Tons will back it for more VN support in the west. (If physical copy, I'm pretty much required to pledge for my rare item/limited edition... I know Imma hypocrite since I don't always agree with some of the KS projects, but want the goodies :/)

Knurek

I think you're right, though it's been like 6 years since I've read it. But I kind of doubt they'd retranslate it from scratch, especially given that they are going the Kickstarter route after G-Senjou didn't exactly tear the Steam sales charts

Is it a good game?

jonjonaug

Is it a good game?

Eh....not really? The main villain is voiced by Norio Wakamoto and is pretty cool (one of his rare "serious" roles), some of the themes are solid, and bits of the last chapter are pretty good. But I found the protagonist insufferable, several of the setting elements and plot developments to be really dumb ("society is so broken that it punishes this pure girl who would never even look at a man for being a slut!"), the two big twists at the end utterly predictable (I called
the protag's sister being next to him the whole time
back in chapter 2 or 3 and it made a lot of scenes just hilarious to read, particularly the "reveal"), and being an eroge with multiple routes leads to some of the themes getting really wonky (
society is wrong to force its values on us! and we should totally be allowed to have sex with our sister and also three other girls at the same time!
).

I've played it, the italic was my special blend of sarcasm.
Unless they rewrote some parts , the motivation of that character SPOILERS
The sister
need to be changed for them to make sense to me. if they cut that

Not really, they just don't need to explicitly depict it. It's not a big deal.

Lain

The frontwing kickstater had me laughing. I mean, if they license the fantranslation, what need do they have for a kickstarter (I know the answer). But I'll wait for the KS to start.

In other kickstarter news, looks like MangaGamer has partnered with Ingrasil Studios for their kickstarter VN.

Hey friends and fans!

We would like to announce our partnership with Igrasil Studio and their upcoming game, Bloody Chronicles!

Bloody Chronicles
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/igrasilstudio/bloody-chronicles-visual-novel
[...]
All Backers of $19 and up now will recieve a free digital copy on steam!

Please direct all in-game and kickstarter related questions to contact@igrasilstudio.com.

MangaGamer, in collaboration with Igrasil Studio

Jazz573

I'm seeing this picture and "Sequel to Clannad" on the same page... Either someone made a mistake, or this is a very different game than what I thought it was. :p

No. I'd say it's a minigame in Tomoyo After. Also more side story than sequel.

"Beside the Adventure part that makes most of the game, Tomoyo After also has RPG elements. In order to complete the game entirely, the player must finish eight of the mini RPGs games called "Dungeons & Takafumis" which are available during certain scenarios as the player continues to play the game." - Wikipedia

Jazz573

From Twitter:

Shocking? Hmm.. MangaGamer and shocking. I don't know if I'm reading into this incorrectly, but I only know of one game published by MG that makes me think of that word. Maybe it's a fandisc for a certain radiant game. :p Wink, wink, nudge nudge.

Shocking? Hmm.. MangaGamer and shocking. I don't know if I'm reading into this incorrectly, but I only know of one game published by MG that makes me think of that word. Maybe it's a fandisk for a certain radiant game. :p Wink, wink, nudge nudge.

Or a steam version of it. I think a fandisc would be something they would announce at a Con.

Jazz573

Or a steam version of it. I think a fandisc would be something they would announce at a Con.

But we do pretty much know what game it's related to. I don't know how they'd do a steam version, since IMO the H-scenes are very important to the story.
Well except a certain scene, I can do without.

But we do pretty much know what game it's related to. I don't know how they'd do a steam version, since IMO the H-scenes are very important to the story.
Well except a certain scene, I can do without.

It's not important to depict them explicitly. Honestly I'd have liked Gahkthun better without them. The game is something that could easily be altered to be Steam friendly.

Jazz573

It's not important to depict them explicitly. Honestly I'd have liked Gahkthun better without them. The game is something that could easily be altered to be Steam friendly.

I'd say the scenes were completely tasteful, and them not being there would completely ruin the experience. But it's okay to feel differently.

??

I was just saying it's okay to have your own opinion. That not everyone has to agree about everything.

I know, I just found the way it was phrased amusing.

But I think Gahkthun's sex scenes could be cleaned up to a Steam acceptable standard without impacting them on a story level. There aren't even that many CGs worse than what was is in Kindred Spirits.

Top Bottom