• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

The SSS system is an interesting concept, but overly convoluted in practice. I don't think I'd want to play Root Double without a guide.

The SSS system is an interesting concept, but overly convoluted in practice. I don't think I'd want to play Root Double without a guide.

i don't play with a guide and i'm really enjoying it

The game does tell you when a choice give you points , the game tells you if it's a normal branch , and specific branch or a danger branch . And even if you're on a bad ending path , the game tells you what you did wrong.

I don't feel the need for a guide and once you unlock the "Answers" you can navigate even easier .. i'm really sorry but i don't see what's convulted about this system. Heck it's much more manageable than a simple choice system because you can make much more subtle decisions

grim-tales

Apparently Exogenesis should be ready by next month (sometime in June anyway was what I read on the last update). Feels like I've been waiting for that one forever.
With that, ZE3, Danganronpa 1+2 and Lucid 9 Part 2 to look forward to, I think its a good time to rediscover VN :)

i'm really sorry but i don't see what's convulted about this system. Heck it's much more manageable than a simple choice system because you can make much more subtle decisions

There are way too many variables at times for them to be meaningful. Decisions that give you 4 or more character bars at once, each with 9 states, it's just needlessly complex. It works alright for simpler choices, but it's hardly an elegant system. It's mostly a way of obfuscating the 2 or 3 choices you have at a given moment behind a ton of noise. There's no way it's more manageable than a normal choice system.

There are way too many variables at times for them to be meaningful. Decisions that give you 4 or more character bars at once, each with 9 states, it just needlessly complex. It works alright for simpler choices, but it's hardly an elegant system. It's mostly a way of obfuscating the 2 or 3 choices you have at a given moment behind a ton of noise. There's no way it's more manageable than a normal choice system.

But all the variables don't have to be meaningfull.

It's a way to give choices behind arbitrary decisions. You're not supposed to think about the 4 characters bars in term of choices , but in term of stances regarding the current problem. You're making 1 decision with 4 parametters. The "noise" you speak of works much better in context in a situation where trust is not given and the characters motivations are not defined/cleared ..and the margin of error is actually quite large

The normal choice system is boring, this one allow you to make genuine mistakes and learn from them.
I'd agree that the SSS system only works form this game and can't be used the same ways in others vns but it's hardly something that require a guide or is convulted.

Jazz573

BUt all the variables don't have to be meaningfull.

It's a way to give choices behind arbitrary decisions. You're not supposed to think about the 4 characters bars in term of choices , but in term of stances regarding the current problem. You're making 1 decision with 4 parametters. The "noise" you speak of works much better in context in a situation where trust is not given and the characters motivations are not defined/cleared

The normal choice system is boring, this one allow you to make genuine mistakes and learn from them.
I'd agree that the SSS system only works form this game and can't be used the same ways in others vns but it's hardly something that require a guide or is convulted.

Well, I'm constantly having to look at a guide, so I can't really agree.

Well, I'm constantly having to look at a guide, so I can't really agree.

I trully have no idea what's so hard about this system that actually require a guide for enjoying the game.
i trully do.

It's a simple trust system with the only pre requisite being the current situation before the choice.

There's zero reason for the SSS bars to have 9 states when they could have 3 and the system would be no different. There are a lot of weird design choices like that in it that make it needlessly complex. And I've been told by people that have finished the game that you pretty much need a guide to see the true ending.

There's zero reason for the SSS bars to have 9 states when they could have 3 and the system would be no different.
Valid complain but it's more about the fact that the game often give you more than 1 character state to change in important events than the 9 states.
There are a lot of weird design choices like that in it that make it needlessly complex.
So far , after 10 hours i haven't seen them
And I've been told by people that have finished the game that you pretty much need a guide to see the true ending.

I'll see how i'll do myself , i'll reserve my judgement from my own experience with the game when i'll reach that point. If my opinion does change , i'll post here ... but right now it's very unlikely.

ps: I would understand if someone told me that a guide is necessary for 100%cg completion, but for finishing the game , really ?

ps: I would understand if someone told me that a guide is necessary for 100%cg completion, but for finishing the game , really ?

Arent VNs usually about "exploring" each route? I think that the SSS system is great for a first playthrough, but after that it might be distracting if you wanna follow other routes.

Arent VNs usually about "exploring" each route? I think that the SSS system is great for a first playthrough, but after that it might be distracting if you wanna follow other routes.

i fully agree and that's why the game give the "answers" afterwards.
I have no trouble using a guide for 100% completion, but i don't feel the need since it's my first session

I finished the After route of Root Double. It was a lot of teases and unanswered questions, but I enjoyed it. Well except for how there was an extended voice over sequence at the end that wasn't subtitled. I have no idea if I missed something important by not being able to understand any of it.

I finished the After route of Root Double. It was a lot of teases and unanswered questions, but I enjoyed it. Well except for how there was an extended voice over sequence at the end that wasn't subtitled. I have no idea if I missed something important by not being able to understand any of it.

You didn't miss much .... it was a tease for something you'll see later( much later )

Anko

My copy hasn't arrived yet, what's the interview have to say?
Lots. We're going to peek behind that student council mask the seniors have on. They've been setting a good example for their juniors, but how are they really like? Are all the teasers I shall give.

Elsewhere, 切ない has been thrown around a lot.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It almost feels like it might be possible to have a happy ending. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying hard. The interview in the summer fanbook worried me.
Haven't started summer yet, but
I'll take this as foreshadowing that I'm going to get something similar to spring's ending situation. When I think about the circumstances I should've realized that probably nothing will change. At this rate I'm guessing half the girls get expelled before the winter volume lol.

Javier

Started Root Double last night with the After route (which seems to be the one the game wants you to play first). The plot and setting really capture you early on and there's a good balance between action and exposition. The "Support" system is also quite interesting and a nice variant on the "choice" system.

Currently I'm at
the point were you split into two teams after meeting the Ukita guy at the Lab and going to look for the other three missing students and the extra doses of AD so we can survive longer.

Anko

Haven't started summer yet, but
I'll take this as foreshadowing that I'm going to get something similar to spring's ending situation. When I think about the circumstances I should've realized that probably nothing will change. At this rate I'm guessing half the girls get expelled before the winter volume lol.
Do come back after you're done with it. Make sure you unlock the Autumn teaser too. I think it requires 100% completion.

Lain

Felt appropriate to me to give away the extra key in here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01 -- MB-5B8E492D68CA3E0E - Taken by Nabae. 1 entrants total.

t1462231246z1.png

eefara

Finished One Thousand Lies. It's a quick game, about 5 hours long total. It's kinetic, and has only one Steam achievement (seeing the extra/"secret" ending). The protagonist is the epitome of
an unreliable narrator
, though you don't find that out until basically the ending of the game. I wasn't a huge fan of the game, but it wasn't awful or anything. The writing style wasn't my cup of tea, but the art was really nice overall. There's an option to play the game in Spanish in desired, which was nice (though I didn't take advantage of it), and the music was beautiful, classically-arranged pieces (though they didn't seem to loop, so you could be stuck reading a scene sans music). Overall a decent little game for the low low price of free, and the soundtrack is available as DLC for free as well.

Finished Root double , the 2nd Route "BEFORE"

I strongly recommand anyone to start with the "AFTER" route first, there is no denying that it's the perfect way to enjoy this game.

I'm freaking ready for the mindfucks of the next route, now.

i was still looking for the typos , but i haven't found any. My problems with the game are the same as before, the keyboard controls are uneven.

After finishing the Before route , my feeligns about the SSS system are stronger than before. The way that system is explained by the in-game lore is perfect.

I played this game 10 hours straight today, i love it

Jazz573

Finished Root double , the 2nd Route "BEFORE"

I strongly recommand anyone to start with the "AFTER" route first, there is no denying that it's the perfect way to enjoy this game.

I'm freaking ready for the mindfucks of the next route, now.

i was still looking for the typos , but i haven't found any. My problems with the game are the same as before, the keyboard controls are uneven.

After finishing the Before route , my feeligns about the SSS system are stronger than before. The way that system is explained by the in-game lore is perfect.

I found at least two typos.

I'm 4 chapters into Before and I really preferred After. Before's pacing feels so lethargic compared to After which was paced so well.

I felt the same. i stopped much more during before than i did with after .. But the highlights of before aren't bad ...
Still the information you get during this part 's crucial and the last 3 chapters of before are miles better than the first 3 so i honnestly think that this route is slow but get better over time.

Finished After last night. Ending was great. I unlocked 13 endings in all. I'm at the beginning of before now. Can't wait to answer some of those burning questions I had at the end of after.

Javier

I'm at Chapter 3 of After, where
Wasabe finds the extra AV and every one got injected at the Engine Room.
I've also gotten Bad Ended twice (#2 and #3).

Loving it so far. Don't regret buying it pretty much on impulse (A week ago I didn't even know this existed).

Jazz573

Root Double Spoilers

Just got the Root A "Good" ending. I don't know about you but that didn't at all fit my definition of a "Good Ending".

Edit:

Sorry about that. Your tone was a bit unnecessary tho.

Root Double Spoilers

Just got the Root A "Good" ending. I don't know about you but that didn't at all fit my definition of a "Good Ending".

Edit:

Sorry about that. Your tone was a bit unnecessary tho.

Root double route "AFTER" final spoilers
I know the feelign ..but think about it , compared to
the bad endings , in this one , watase is still alive. he is not decapitated, drowned , burned to death , crushed under tons of concrete, poisoned, stabbed so i'd stay , despite the fact that he's dying, betrayed , confused and hunted by everyone he knows
it's still good , right ? it's an improvement [insert joke here]

Got an update about the WAS - refund from Sekai project :

Hi Backers,
We're done with getting confirming all physical refund requests. We're now waiting on PayPal to unlock Mass Payment support so we don't have to enter in everyone one by one. We are expecting to be able to refund all requests by this Friday. If that changes we will send another update soon.

Good news. i should say :"finally some news" Hopefully this will be over this week

Later in May we will push a update out to the disabled Steam version to add the missing OST/4koma/Illustration book. By June we should have the physical OSTs/4koma/Illustration book shipped. If the schedule for these change we will post an update as soon as we can.

Well i guess this won't be over this week

Picked up Clannad during the steam sale and started playing it.

Early spoilers:
Wow, the MC is a huge asshole. This is great so far.

takoyaki

Finished both After and Before routes of Root Double.
Did I just buy 999 again without realising it?

There's definitely some similarities with
999 and especially the Infinity Games
, but keep playing.
The next two routes have some interesting story concepts that make RD its own thing.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Got an update about the WAS - refund from Sekai project :

Good news. i should say :"finally some news" Hopefully this will be over this week

Well i guess this won't be over this week

Sure hope they will be able to reply to us before eveeything gets processed. I asked for a refund, but I still want the remaining items.

There's definitely some similarities with
999 and especially the Infinity Games
, but keep playing.
The next two routes have some interesting story concepts that make RD its own thing.
I second this.
Later the game really shines with new concepts.
The rest of the reveals are great

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here might know where I could find the original cover art for the individual episodes of Umineko no Naku Koro ni as they were released. Even photos of them taken from a distance. I've been running through the game (only on episode 3), and have absolutely fallen in love with it, but unfortunately while trying to find the cases, I ended up reading a pretty massive spoiler, so I've been afraid of googling ever since. It seems the only thing I can find any information on is the DVD versions of episodes 1-4 and 5-8. There is also a scan of the back of the third episode's case that was posted on the 07th Expansion blog at one point.

Also, would anyone have any idea where I could pick those original jewel case copies up, or are they considered extremely rare collectors items? I tried searching Japanese Ebay as well as a few import shops, but no luck. Really weird, considering how easy it was while playing Higurashi to find pictures of the original copies. I keep wondering if I'm missing something about how Umineko was originally released.

Javier

Still playing Root Double After route. At Chapter 4 where
The team finds the little girl that has been shot and the cargo lift has been sabotaged, so now they have no other places to search and they have AD to last for only one more hour. Shit's pretty deep.

Also gotten three Bad Ends so far, (#2, #3 and #6).

Top Bottom