• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Just got my partial refund of $25 back from WAS just now. Refunds are going out today, and hope everything else will come soon and put that project to rest.

Same here.received 25$ this morning.
It's trully a shame. what happenned to WAS. With this i can mourn this loss properly.
Which route would you recommend I play first?
If you're talking about Root double , then , IMO you need to start with the After route first. Even if the Before route has a different "feel", i really think that it's the best way to experience the game.

grim-tales

If you're talking about Root double , then , IMO you need to start with the After route first. Even if the Before route has a different "feel", i really think that it's the best way to experience the game.

Thank you :)
Sorry I should have been clearer, I did mean Root Double.

Ephidel

I've just seen "Corpse Party: Blood Drive" is released for Vita. Is it OK to play/read this if I havent played any of the other games?
The story sounds like Danganronpa/ZE (I know....)

Anyone know what the difference is between the Everafter Edition and the cheaper one?
Thank you! :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0130S9IMY/
It's a direct sequel to the previous games, so they're probably required (and are why I haven't played it yet. I've only played the first game, not the second).

In terms of editions the regular edition just has the game (and some art cards).
The Everafter Edition an additional artbook and soundtrack.
(And the Heavenly Host Edition has the artbook, soundtrack, and two small figures).

Anyone use a Steam Controller to play visual novels from Steam lately? Every VN I try has problems with the BPM overlay staying on top when pressing the Steam button on the controller, doesn't happen in non-VN games.

grim-tales

Yep, Xseed just recently re-released the first game for PC and 3DS. Note, however, that there are differences between the PC/3DS/PSP versions, which Xseed clarified on here.

Thank you :) I might go for the PC (or PSP) version since I'm in the UK, so the 3DS version wouldnt work for me.

Got the "Normal Ending" for After.

Geez, that was bleak. Just watching everyone die over and over without much in the way of a reprieve. It really wore down on me, and it just got more and more fucked up. I have more questions than answers after seeing how that ended.

Going to try and figure out how to get the Good Ending now and keep going.

I got the Grand Ending in Root Double, now I just have the extend content to get through. I liked the game. The twists in the story weren't all that surprising, the game felt the need to over-explain a bit much, everything ties together a bit too neatly and it can be a bit on the nose with its themes, and the pacing in Routes B and C left much to be desired, but the story delivered with its characters and that's pretty much the most important thing. Routes A and D are the real meat of the story and the end payoffs well enough without becoming an anticlimax.

Jazz573

Root D spoilers

I'm still part way through Root D. Anyways, I'm having trouble with Subject N being Nagisa. There's a discrepancy in their hair color. I can understand her dead body having faded hair, but even when she's alive she has that color. Was it due to stress from all the experiments?

Also, lol, I just realized she probably isn't dead. Which would explain why Natsuhiko never saw her pop up in Kazami's last RAM scene. Yeah, she had no vitals, but neither did Natsuhiko and yet we all know what happened there.

Also related, I have a strong suspicion that Wataru isn't dead either. There was a scene in Watase's memory where he received telepathy from her, after all. Guess that means she also is a communicator.

Jazz573

I have a serious issue.
I know the yellow RAM scenes lock you out from the good endings, so I made sure to save before those choices, and yet I still couldn't get the All Max to work. I tried restarting Root D, and I ran through it twice, and it still wouldn't let me. Please tell me viewing the yellow scenes doesn't permanently lock me out.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm dumb.

Taruranto

Root D spoilers

I'm still part way through Root D. Anyways, I'm having trouble with Subject N being Nagisa. There's a discrepancy in their hair color. I can understand her dead body having faded hair, but even when she's alive she has that color. Was it due to stress from all the experiments?

Also, lol, I just realized she probably isn't dead. Which would explain why Natsuhiko never saw her pop up in Kazami's last RAM scene. Yeah, she had no vitals, but neither did Natsuhiko and yet we all know what happened there.

Also related, I have a strong suspicion that Wataru isn't dead either. There was a scene in Watase's memory where he received telepathy from her, after all. Guess that means she also is a communicator.

Nagisa's hairs are white(ish) so I just assumed it's because off the stress from all the experiments, yes. It's quite a cliche in Japanese works, but it works.

Nagisa's hairs are white(ish) so I just assumed it's because off the stress from all the experiments, yes. It's quite a cliche in Japanese works, but it works.

i totally second this.
It's heavilly implied
that she wasn't herself anymore after absorbing so many minds into her own not to mention that she was for a while , the only working user at S-rank they had.
Intense stress can lead to loss of hair color not to mention that we did have a taste of how brutal their experiment were in the game ( who the hell let a 5 year old baby into a mess of particules during hours and hours over months of time ? )

Nagisa demise probably helped the professor to ease yuuri fate since subject N fate clearly indicated that brute forcing their experiments wasn't working for them in the long run.

So the B in Route B stands for Boring. Except until ending the route was very slow and boring. I can't believe it actually had a recap of the entire route towards the end. Hoping the next route will be better.

Seems Frontwing also publishes Grisaia fandiscs (?) on Steam now:

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/460160/

Jazz573

So the B in Route B stands for Boring. Except until ending the route was very slow and boring. I can't believe it actually had a recap of the entire route towards the end. Hoping the next route will be better.

I suppose it depends on whether you like SoL or not. Because I actually quite enjoyed it all throughout.

Edit: Whoops. Sorry for the double post.

JulianImp

Finally managed to branch into Higurashi Kizuna 1's watanagashi route, and navigating things over and over to set the right flags did get a bit annoying. Still, it's interesting that this adaptation mashed the first few episodes together using branching paths, but I think I prefer reading four separate kinetic novels over having to guesstimate my way around the scenario tree for the sake of flag checks.

That made me think that if I were to develop a VN, I might feel inclined to help players on subsequent playthroughs by highlighting the path they're taking on the scenario tree for starters, since as I began experimenting with different choices I eventually opened up lots of sub-paths and often lost track of which of them I had taken, which made it hard to remember which choices had led to which post-flag check branches.

Having VOs only in certain scenes is a bit sad, but I'm still impressed by how much stuff they managed to fit into DS cartridges.

When I booted up Kizuna 2 I noticed a couple BGM tracks sounded really different than the same ones in Kizuna 1, and found that pretty weird since the generic SoL BGM sounded a lot worse due to the instrument selection being a lot worse and resulting in a muddled and same-y soundscape.

Jazz573

So Operationrainfall has a two part interview with MG, and it looks interesting. I can't link here since it's NSFW. Well, the first part is SFW, so it's probably okay to link that one. But the second part is NSFW so you'll have to find it on your own. But that second part has a lot about Kindred Spirits, so be sure to read that.

Part 1

I suppose it depends on whether you like SoL or not. Because I actually quite enjoyed it all throughout.

Edit: Whoops. Sorry for the double post.

What is SoL? Slice of Life? The problem is it wasn't a good SoL. Natsuhiko himself isn't that appealing of a character nor is his design. Crescendo. Now THAT's a good SoL.

Root double Xtend - Ena part

I freaking can't believe that
Ena is the one who adopted sirius the dog .

Talk about a small world
#it's_all_connected

The game is full of stuff like this. It's a bit much actually.

Trying to finish Xtend, the new parts are fun , but a lot of it was in the D, B & C routes already.
This is a bizzare design decision, but i really like that in some scenes the POV is shifted so we get the exact reasons why they reacted like this in the main game. Very good

but damn if the Xtend mode doesn't feel like filler

So Operationrainfall has a two part interview with MG, and it looks interesting. I can't link here since it's NSFW. Well, the first part is SFW, so it's probably okay to link that one. But the second part is NSFW so you'll have to find it on your own. But that second part has a lot about Kindred Spirits, so be sure to read that.

Part 1

Just saw those, great read.

Trying to finish Xtend, the new parts are fun , but a lot of it was in the D, B & C routes already.
This is a bizzare design decision, but i really like that in some scenes the POV is shifted so we get the exact reasons why they reacted like this in the main game. Very good

but damn if the Xtend mode doesn't feel like filler

Apparently a lot of it was in a 2nd round of ram system in route D in the original release which would have been a lot worse. But yeah, most of the scenes in xtend are unnecessary.

XMSHO

No more than a week ago it was only two announcements XD
They have a habit of updating the number of announcements prior to the events so they definitely have more stored for AX, but that still surprised me.

No more than a week ago it was only two announcements XD
They have a habit of updating the number of announcements prior to the events so they definitely have more stored for AX, but that still surprised me.

They could have moved announcements up from AX too.

Which implies they have a bunch more stuff for AX in the works, since that and Otakon are usually their biggest announcement drops of the year.

They may also want to spread it around so their (or other punlishers) bigger announcements at the big cons don't drown out their other news.

Hopefully they'll give us a date for Higurashi Chapter 3, given that the translation and editing are finished.
Doddler is testing achievements for it, so it should be soon.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've been skimming through here and I'm sure looking forward to Root Double! Waiting for that physical copy (because I don't have any free time to play now, anyways). Sounds pretty positive and I didn't spoil any of them black bars, either.

jonjonaug

Fata Morgana chapter 1-3 opinions: It's great, go buy it.

I think the best comparison I can make to any VN I've read before is Umineko. Not because of the "mansion" setting, but it has some traits in common. The writing itself isn't particularly good I would say, but the use of music, the meticulous pacing, and the general...how should I put it..."direction" of how the elements all come together more than makes up for that and make for a very fine product that's a joy to read. Also the Maid is great, I'm totally imagining her with the voice of the Maiden in Black/Doll from the Soulsborne games.

grim-tales

I've been skimming through here and I'm sure looking forward to Root Double! Waiting for that physical copy (because I don't have any free time to play now, anyways). Sounds pretty positive and I didn't spoil any of them black bars, either.

I'm the same as you, I didnt spoil myself on Root Double either. Waiting for RD and Zero Escape 3 (Zero Time Dilema)

Lain

The release date you were all awaiting for just got announced:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sekai Project and Vifth Floor Reveal Steam Release Date for Just Deserts

Military-themed action dating sim prepares for deployment this July

LOS ANGELES – May 14, 2016 – Lock and load, soldiers, it is time to prepare for battle! Sekai Project, a publisher and licenser of Japanese new media and electronic entertainment, in partnership with Vifth Floor, today announced the military-themed action dating sim, Just Deserts will be released on Steam Monday, July 11 for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

In Just Deserts players will step into the combat boots of a soldier who must defend Aquarine City, which has fallen under attack by a mysterious and violent race of aliens. Assigned to a troop of highly-skilled and dangerously captivating girls, players will set out to save humankind and maybe even capture the heart of their dream girl(s) in the process.

With a wide spectrum of fun activities to engage in, a robust management system, hundreds of in-game items to use and collect, mini battles, and more, Just Deserts looks to keep players enlisted and engaged for countless hours. So, mark it down on a calendar because the Just Deserts tour of duty begins Monday, July 11 on Steam!

Key Features:
•5 unique heroines with different personalities and interests
•Full English voice acting for each heroine
•3 in-game languages (English, Indonesian, and Japanese)
•7 different endings, based on your status with each of the heroines
•List of activities which can be done alone or together with your favorite heroine
•Management system with energy, health, money, day/night time, and love status
•Mini battles with the aliens
•Hundreds of items to use as gifts, food, or aide in battle
•Travel across the desert area and within the city
•A beautiful soundtrack composed by Ecky from the Vesuvia Circle
•Steam Trading Cards and Achievements

Stay up-to-date with the Just Deserts:

Trailer: https://youtu.be/3itG2iSLT5Y
Product page: http://sekaiproject.com/products/justdeserts
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/justdesertsgame/

You know, I was thinking, kinda weird that Schrodinger's Cat didn't pop at least once in Root Double.

What's up with that?

is there a need to ?

Every character place is set and defined at each moment of the game ( complete with date and hour up to the minute ). there is never any doubt or paradox to use this plot device on.
If anything it's so set in stone and told to the player so many times it's almost feels unnecessary.

Top Bottom