• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Only way you're getting that is out of JAST.
I'm not sure that's a safe assumption anymore with how Japanese publishers are getting more proactive. It wouldn't shock me if JAST lost that exclusivity especially given how terrible they are at actually releasing N+ titles.

Javier

How long until the Before route in Root Double actually gets interesting?

I'm starting Chapter 2 and I'm bored out of my mind already.

Day- 2, day-1 and day 0 chapters are much much better

The rest of the chapters are there for World building and forshadowing .it'll make sense later.

jonjonaug

Fata Morgana: I'm going through chapter 7 now and this is so, SO good. I thought Kindred Spirits would be my VN of the year but if this sticks the landing it blows way past it. Please pick it up.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Fata Morgana: I'm going through chapter 7 now and this is so, SO good. I thought Kindred Spirits would be my VN of the year but if this sticks the landing it blows way past it. Please pick it up.

Give it that promo
clock-eyebrow.gif

Also guys remember to visit the OT
bts_lina.gif

Jazz573

So I tried playing around in the Baldr Heart gameplay trial, and it's fun. But, it won't recognize my PS3 controller. Which means I have to use my keyboard. I suppose I could use something to map keys to the buttons. Interestingly the game actually has touch screen support.

Edit:

Bokuten translation is 100% complete.

I must be a weirdo since I liked Root B. :p
You're not . i liked it too. BUt i can understand the complains.

Sometimesi wonder how i read those list because it's only now that i realise that someone is attempting to translate Shinkoihime.
Suddenly i was like .. really ?
In other news WEE3 progress is advancing.[insert small rejoice moment here]

Javier

The last two chapters are better, but I'd say the whole route is setup for D.

Day- 2, day-1 and day 0 chapters are much much better

The rest of the chapters are there for World building and forshadowing .it'll make sense later.
I see. It will take a while then. Thanks.

I understand having to do exposition to explain stuff in VNs, but it really sucks we went from the action-packed After route to the Before route which is basically Animeland.

JulianImp

Finally got through the maze of choices in Higurashi Kizuna 1 to get into the Watanagashi route. It's really weird how if you have Irie show up during Shion's introductory scene her existence gets ignored altogether after that and you go back to the default Onikakushi route.

Guess I'll go on to unlock the other two routes before moving on to Kizuna 2, since it looks like one of them is an original route and I want to see how it goes.

jonjonaug

I finished Fata Morgana last night and remember how I said Kindred Spirits was the VN of the year?

I was wrong. Fata Morgana is now the VN of the year so far. If you like gothic horror and good music or just good/unique stories in general you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's one of the best haunted house stories I've ever experienced.

The Sharin no Kuni Prefundia page has been updated. They've scrapped their plans to sell parts of it as DLC and are planning to release an 18+ version.

Removal of DLC for General Sale
First of all, we've decided to abandon the DLC plan we initially announced, in accordance with user feedback. As of now, the version of the game available for digital download on Steam at release will have the Sound Mode and CG Gallery intact (previously the Deluxe Edition), and is planned for general sale at $40. For this reason, the words "Deluxe Version" will also be removed for clarity.

Changes to the Rewards Section
Due to the removal of DLC and announcement of the game's pricing, the some pricing changes have been made to the Rewards section, most notably the following:
・A digital copy of the game - as described above - will be offered to backers who pledge $30 or more.
・An early bird offer will be available to the first 100 people to pledge $20 or more. These people will be able to get the same rewards for a reduced price, though this will be limited to 100 places only.

Regarding an 18+ version/patch
Although we had initially planned to release an all-ages version of the game (which, to clarify, was released on consoles in Japan), we now promise to release the 18+ version as well, following strong support for its production.

Since there are a number of technical issues surrounding its development, it has not yet been decided whether the 18+ content will be in the form of a patch or a complete 18+ version. We (Frontwing) are working with AKABEi SOFT2 to resolve these issues. We would also like to assure that those who pledge and receive a digital key as a reward will be able to enjoy the 18+ version for under $10.

Developing this may take some time, so it will come out after the all ages version has been released. We'll continue working hard to fulfill your requests. We'll keep you updated on any new progress.

I finished Fata Morgana last night and remember how I said Kindred Spirits was the VN of the year?

I was wrong. Fata Morgana is now the VN of the year so far. If you like gothic horror and good music or just good/unique stories in general you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's one of the best haunted house stories I've ever experienced.

Is it depressing?

What am I saying; of course it's depressing. I mean, has it an ending that left a sour taste and made you up all night thinking about everything that's wrong with humanity?

aravuus

Oh, Fata Morgana is out already too? Awesome, though it'll have to wait. I'm not in a VN mood right now so I haven't even started Root Double yet.

jonjonaug

Is it depressing?

What am I saying; of course it's depressing. I mean, has it an ending that left a sour taste and made you up all night thinking about everything that's wrong with humanity?
The finale is not. The ending is very satisfying and ties together every loose end, it absolutely did not leave a sour taste in my mouth.

BTA

Urgh, all the pre-release stuff I saw on Twitter and opinions like these is making me really want to pick it up. I'm thinking I'll hold on for a month or two till I'm further into my backlog, but it sounds really great.

Anko

Argh. I underestimated the length of the Flowers VNs. The third installment is almost out and I'm still only 3/4 through my replay of the first.

My interpretation of the various scenes have changed from two(three?) years ago. And they've certainly been dropping hints about some of the upcoming stuff right from the beginning.

I must say though, the vita version of Flowers is very well done. I like the additional features added to it. They've added the ability to easily go back a line or even skip to a scene via the back log. I can't remember if choice skipping has always been there but that's useful too. Most of all, I love how they let us keep 30 lines for each character to easily access. Hear a line you particularly like by a certain character? Save it in the collection so you can play it back whenever.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

That good, huh? It looked kinda interesting, but I didn't realize it was on that level.

Might have to buy it sooner rather than later, then.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I must say though, the vita version of Flowers is very well done. I like the additional features added to it. They've added the ability to easily go back a line or even skip to a scene via the back log. I can't remember if choice skipping has always been there but that's useful too. Most of all, I love how they let us keep 30 lines for each character to easily access. Hear a line you particularly like by a certain character? Save it in the collection so you can play it back whenever.
Yep, prototype's vita ports probably have the best VN engine I've seen. Minute features like being able to adjust wait speed during auto mode by hundredths of a second per letter/character. Really clean, polished interface too.

Chapter 6 is when it gets interesting. I said it before. The B in Route B stands for Boring.

Also just finished route D with the grand ending. Never used a guide! Though I feel a guide will be necessary to 100 percent it quickly.

Didn't know there was an Xtend Mode. The game is already really long and it got extended? wow.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, when does Root Double get the physical release (for Kickstarter backers, obvi)?

I guess I could play it on Steam, but I'd rather have my real deal copy.

The Leisure of Grisaia is a nice little slice of more of what you get in the common route of Kajitsu (the best part of that game). It was pretty good/funny. The translation was actually pretty good and matched the character voices from the main game well, I suppose that's a good sign for things coming from Frontwing.

MangaGamer also put some more information about their coming announcements in their newsletter.

What has us most excited this week though, is our upcoming ACEN announcements! This Friday we'll finally be revealing our special guests for Anime Expo, along with some new hard copies, some brand new titles, and even a brand new partner--one all you fans have been requesting for a long time now! The panel runs at 9PM CDT, so if you're in Illinois stop by, and if not, stay tuned to our twitter feed to catch the announcements live! Both of our special guest announcements have never been to America before, so they're sure to be a huge surprise, but we hope all of you joining us in the journey out to AX will show them a warm reception in July. We'll also be opening pre-orders on several long-awaited titles this Friday, so you'll definitely want to check in to see what's coming out soon!

Jazz573

Grisaia Monthly Update #8

Hi Backers,

Another month has passed and we have a update for you. We're getting closer to announcing a release time for The Labyrinth of Grisaia. Right now we have it slotted for Summer of this year. As production gets closer to finishing we will finalize on which month. The Eden of Grisaia is now 35% complete and moving forward at a steady pace.

We have some updates from Frontwing with their future projects and a new release from them on Steam!

The Leisure of Grisaia is available on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/460160/

AKABEi SOFT2 and Frontwing is holding a collaboration project: "Wheel Country, Sunflower Girl" for official localization. There’s a preview campaign on Prefundia and the Kickstarter campaign is expected to start in June.

The official website for "Corona Blossom" the new title by illustrator nanaca mai http://coroblo.com/

The characters from "Pure Girl" and "Innocent Girl" will be making their international debut in "Purino Party," the puzzle/visual novel hybrid game planned for a June 2016 release. http://en.frontwing.jp/games/purino-party/

And finally, if you haven’t heard Frontwing will be joining as an exhibitor at Anime Expo this year! They will be at booth numbers 726 and 626. There will be exclusive goods on sale and other things to be announced.

See you next update!

Memory's Dogma Development Update #6

We've translated a new blog post from LizArts with a development update about Memory's Dogma.

First off, I wanted to let everyone know that the scenario for the first release of Memory's Dogma is now complete.

Some of you may be worried about the release schedule for Memory's Dogma as we haven't been able to update our progress as often as we'd like. Despite these delayed updates, I'm happy that I'm able to let everyone know that the scenario for the first release is now complete.

Our blog post from September 17th, 2015 stated that, 'the whole picture of the character storylines is finally complete,' but we ended up having to replace the whole scenario for the Reina route afterwards. With a list of the backgrounds and images already done, I couldn’t imagine how we would be able to make the latter half of her route interesting. So I contacted all the core members of our team before everyone really started creating materials, and told them that I would like to remake the latter half of the plot from scratch.

I went into this thinking, 'Everyone may get really mad at me... yeah, perhaps... but even then, this is essential, so I have to...' However, to my surprise, everyone understood and agreed that such a change would make Memory’s Dogma better. At that moment, I felt extremely lucky to have the team that I have. (Thank you so much, everybody!) Looking back, I really think that rewriting the plot at that crucial moment was an important decision. It was difficult to make it the way I wanted, and even second guessed myself, but the final work came out really good. Of course, I do realize that I’m causing trouble for everyone by saying that!

The first draft of the scenario was completed around December 2015, and from January 2016 on I dedicated myself to polishing it. By the first draft, I had already tweaked the opening and each chapter had also been rewritten at least five times. At least 60% of the scenario has changed since the beginning of this year. When I felt like it was ready, around March I had ten people who had never read the scenario before, from both inside and outside of our circle, read through for the purpose of checking quality. I compiled all of the feedback, opinions, and suggestions I received into a list, separated the ideas I would and wouldn’t apply after careful consideration, and rewrote the story yet again.

The approach we took was not to blindly accept or reject all the suggestions, but to revise each part in a way that doesn’t change the intent greatly while making it easier for readers to understand.

For example:

- 'I couldn’t understand why this character behaved that way.' (Lack of explanation)

- 'I couldn’t understand why behavior B wasn’t chosen instead of A in this scene.' (Imperfect conditional setting in the scene)

- Abruptness when moving from behavior A to B (Lack of description)

With feedback like this, upwards of 30% of the scenario was rewritten again. Ultimately, it's the players who will judge if this scenario is interesting or not. That being said, I wanted to avoid a situation where after the release I’d end up saying 'I wish I’d fixed that one thing...' especially given such a wonderful opportunity to create Memory's Dogma. The constant fear I had for six months made me do everything in my power to ensure the quality of this release, which resulted in the production process evolving in the way it did. (Reina's route is an even more important scenario than it might otherwise be, especially because of the multi-part release schedule.) Consequently, I was able to make the best scenario that I could possibly make with my current ability. It's something where I can proudly say, 'I did my best work.'

I hope this is something that you, the players, can really enjoy playing.

By the way, the image on top of this article is one of the characters from Memory’s Dogma, Haruna-chan. This is the image you see in-game when you encounter her for the first time. Haruna-chan is very cheerful and I enjoy creating her words. Haruna-chan is really cute.

We will do our best to keep you updated on our progress as production continues. Thank you for your support!

NDoerrFans

Neo Member
I haven't seen this anywhere else on GAF, but the Undead Darlings Kickstarter is back up for a second go. They were able to get a lot of prototyping done, and will aim to have a playable demo at PAX Prime.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mrtired/undead-darlings-a-visual-novel-rpg-for-pc-and-ps4

Hey, thank you so much for the mention!!
I'm Nick, the creative director/main developer behind the title.

I'd love to answer any questions you all may have about Undead Darlings :)
I'll be here! Again, a million thank-yous for alerting the super cool GAFers about it, UltraJay!

Top Bottom