• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

i dont know if it was already posted, but there is a really interesting VN on Kickstarter at the moment:

Anomie is set in a fictional world that resembles our modern day. The protagonist, Quentin, finds himself experiencing a chain of events that leads him to what can only be described as a new life. A new place with new rules—a new life, a new future. Will the public authority's desperate efforts bear fruit?

The visual novel is well-rounded in its genres: drama, slice of life, and romance – but at its core, Anomie is a psychological thriller with elements of mystery and philosophical ponderings. These ponderings consider not only life, but also society as a whole, as well as its possible collapse in the universe of Anomie. What happens in society when people alienate each other, when isolation is widespread, when social disinterest is prevalent? How do we conquer it? What happens if you try to revert it... forcibly?

The term itself – anomie – signifies a breakdown in the norms, values, and culture of a group or society. Anomie is a recurring, major theme in this visual novel. The total playtime should be around 10 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/toneyemedia/anomie-a-dystopian-visual-novel/description

It would be great if the Gaf Community helps this project to succed, great to see more western VN's, especially if they have an unique style and theme like this one!

Not a fan of western VNs so i will pass as usual on backing one. The only one i actually enjoyed was Katawa Shojou and it will probably stay that way for a long time.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, I can't get into the idea of a western-developed visual novel. To me, it's like western cartoons that try to imitate anime.

Rest in peperoni Chusingura and congratulation for doing the worst ks in VN history ... twice!

CkMwsewUgAAG5QY.jpg

Shizuka

Yes. Do After first. Then Before.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I started the game, but then I remembered we're getting the Vita version in a year... I'm not sure I want to play it twice, since I'll probably review the Vita version once it comes out. I want to play a visual novel on my Vita now, but the only one that's left is Xblaze. I guess this is the best time, or else I'll never get to actually play it.

Durante

I think there's 2 more routes after that too? From what I remember, Before is better, so I guess starting with A is partially due to it, or it just lines up better?
I just finished it (really good by the way), and I think they shouldn't even have provided the option to start with "Before" to be honest. "After" is really good in terms of mystery/suspense, and some of that mystery is diminished if you played "Before" first.

I think there's 2 more routes after that too? From what I remember, Before is better, so I guess starting with A is partially due to it, or it just lines up better?

The other routes have an enforced playing order. Like Durante I don't really know why they even offer a choice for the first two routes as A is better not knowing any of the revelations from B. A is also the much better route and I'm afraid people starting with B would be discouraged from playing more.

root double should be played in that order , A , B , C , D. and you should only change route once youv'e got a good ending.

If i had played in the BACD order i wouldn' have enjoyed the game nearly as much as i did.

did that Subarashiki VN ever get translated, I swear I remember reading it was close to completion years ago

and everyone should get House in Fata Morgana, it's really damn good.

aravuus

I've been delaying starting RD for a while now, so I think it's time to finally start playing it later today when I get home. Hoping to finish it before ZE3 is out, approx how long is it? 30-ish hours? FWIW, I'm not big on Japanese voice acting, so I usually put the text speed to fastest and skip voices.

After before before, after which before, not before. Got it. Har har.

Jazz573

I've been delaying starting RD for a while now, so I think it's time to finally start playing it later today when I get home. Hoping to finish it before ZE3 is out, approx how long is it? 30-ish hours? FWIW, I'm not big on Japanese voice acting, so I usually put the text speed to fastest and skip voices.

After before before, after which before, not before. Got it. Har har.

50+ hours more like. Think it took me about 80 hours to fully complete.

It's probably around 40-50 hours long, though it's difficult to judge as my Steam playing time including a ton of idling (it definitely didn't take me 70 hours).

Javier

Yeah, Route A in Root Double is definitely meant to be played first. It perfectly sets up the game and leaves you wanting more, while Route B is more exposition and filling blanks made by Route A (although Route B gets real good after the halfway point).

Currently on Route D myself, and man is some of this stuff intense,
although looks like I messed up during the RAM system so I have to do the whole thing over since I can't seem to progress past the Normal endings.

aravuus

Damn, gonna be cutting it pretty close then. And somehow I thought I'd do Steins;Gate soon, maybe even before ZE3, too.

Think my VN schedule for the summer will be Root Double -> ZE3 -> S;G -> That one gothic looking VN that just release on Steam (something Morgana) -> Umineko Steam release. After such a long break from VNs, this recent influx of them is almost petrifying. Need more hours in a day!

Damn, gonna be cutting it pretty close then. And somehow I thought I'd do Steins;Gate soon, maybe even before ZE3, too.

Think my VN schedule for the summer will be Root Double -> ZE3 -> S;G -> That one gothic looking VN that just release on Steam (something Morgana) -> Umineko Steam release. After such a long break from VNs, this recent influx of them is almost petrifying. Need more hours in a day!

Fata Morgana is shorter, but that's a hefty schedule there.

aravuus

Fata Morgana is shorter, but that's a hefty schedule there.

Lol yeah, it's probably not gonna happen to be honest. I do have a lot of free time every day after work, but I don't think spending all that time inside is ideal, considering how short summers tend to be in Finland. I'd rather spend that time outside in the sun.

Really wish more VNs got release on Android. Could play anywhere.

e: oh fuck me, just remembered I was thinking of replaying 999 and VLR before ZE3 comes out too. Yeah, not gonna happen. I'll just read a plot summary of both.

Durante

That's mostly how I did it , and it took me 36 hours without the "extra" episodes. (Which seem kind of superfluous after the ending IMHO)

aravuus

Aww yeah, good ol' anime names. Alone Desire is such a fucking great name for a drug lol.

Anyway, I don't need to get the bad endings in RD, right? They haven't been particularly long so far, but neither have they been entertaining at all either, so I'm thinking of just skipping them all from now on.

Javier

The Bad Endings in Route A are pretty superfluous so don't bother too much unless you're going for 100% (although I should note I haven't seen all of them). Definitely try getting the Normal Ending in Route A, that one is definitely worth watching.

The Bad Endings in Routes B and D are much better, though, as far as Bad Endings go.

Lain

How do you even get over the question about how much you spent? Whatever number I put there, I get The answer you provided is in an invalid format.
It also made me go look at how much I spent and I had a shocking realization.

edit: NM, I didn't have to put . or , or even type of currency.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
All I asked them for is DRM-free. It made me start buying Mangagamer stuff again, and it'll get me to buy like at least a dozen of Sekai Project's games.

How do you even get over the question about how much you spent? Whatever number I put there, I get The answer you provided is in an invalid format.
It also made me go look at how much I spent and I had a shocking realization.

edit: NM, I didn't have to put . or , or even type of currency.

Yeah I got stuck on that too. It's a poorly made question as not everyone answering spends dollars.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get to complete the survey. Got cut off before question 30 somewhere because I guess I answered something that didn't qualify me to finish? It was pretty long and I wasn't a fan of "you MUST rate all the titles coming out" because some I didn't know about, nor cared about, and it made the survey too lengthy overall.

Too bad, didn't get to the comment box, but I don't feel like doing it again.

jonjonaug

Don't like that they force you to rank all 12 games.

Yeah, kinda wish there was a "none of the above option". Other than Labyrinth none of them look interesting to me, and I still haven't played the first game in that series despite having backed the Kickstarter. And that was more to support the people that would be working on the project rather than interest in the game or in backing something released by Sekai.

Anko

Fully completed Flowers Aki-hen.

For now, I'll just say that... JAST better get their fucking act together. Flowers deserves so much better. So much more...

I'm gonna go nurse this post ending depression, by listening to the many heartbreaking tracks from it. ;-;

MANYO you genius. Please compose for all my yuri VNs.

Anko

That's a good one, a real knee-slapper.
Let me dream. The revised demo looked a lot more promising than the shit they put out initially. It's selfish for me to say this since I've already played spring through autumn but I don't care how long they take. Just get it right. Get it damn right.

Jazz573

Memory's Dogma Update #23: Introduction to the MRD

We've translated a new blog post from LizArts with a development update about Memory's Dogma.

Since "Resette's Prescription ~Book of memory, Swaying scale~" has been released, we can settle down for a bit and talk about the device introduced in "Memory's Dogma."

[Video 1]

[Video 2]

The above video is the device mockup for the MRD that exist in the world of "Memory's Dogma" Although it has appeared a couple of times in the Kickstarter PV, we've cleaned up the design since then.

MRD stands for Mobile augmented Reality Device, and is the newest portable information computer in the world of "Memory's Dogma." In the Kickstarter PV, we see one activating from a man's arm.

Japan, in the world of "Memory's Dogma," is a country that heavily relies on the MRD. From convenience stores to transportation, any service and functions that require identification are reliant on the MRD.

During the creation of the PV, we did not heavily focus on the device's visual elements, however the animation staff requested a design mockup for the use in the opening. Since the mockup is very nicely done, we decided to feature it here as well. It's a bit outlandish, but the appearance as if they are collecting data makes it look very futuristic and exciting.

A bit of digression, but when this device was conceptualized the Apple Watch was not out, and now it is common to have smartwatches in our daily lives. It just proves that a near-future story needs to put out sooner, before they become obsolete. This has been in my mind lately, as well as trying to get "Memory's Dogma" out sooner before I fall into this trap...

And that's it for today!

Anko

The ending for Flowers Aki-hen is hitting me hard. A night's sleep didn't help at all.
I finally listened to the drama CD as well and now it's a 100 times worse than before...

If it's this bad now, I can't imagine what it will be like after the final arc, Fuyu-hen ends.

Top Bottom