• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

cj_iwakura

Nice new avatar, CJ.

It seemed a Certainty that someone might approve.

I have to say they nailed her demon face, considering that I think hers is the most terrifying in the series.

Jawmuncher

So like what are the other VNs dealing with disabilities in some way?

Yes I have played Katawa Shoujo and If my heart had wings.

Going to buy Higurashi tomorrow.

My neck is itching in anticipation

(BTW I learned that from just the Steam reviews, don't spoil me)

I posted about it earlier, though it got buried at the end of the page. Though it's difficult to say much about all these unknown doujin games Sekai Project brings over, especially when one of the two visual novels is nothing more than a teaser image.

How much money and support they got for GNK was nothing short of insane. Doesn't surprise me they're adding a lot more very quickly.

Is the Amagami SS translation project dead? Hasn't been an update in almost a year and last time I checked the website was dead.

nvm found it, more than 50% done translation wise, looking good.

Started Umineko finally. After 3 hours, absolutely nothing has happened.

I know people hate on the anime, but I was thoroughly enjoying it when I stopped around episode 10, while the pacing here is just killing me. Tell me things start to speed up.

Shizuka

I know people hate on the anime, but I was thoroughly enjoying it when I stopped around episode 10, while the pacing here is just killing me. Tell me things start to speed up.

Nothing will keep happening for hours and hours and hours and hours, until something happens.

Shizuka

That reminds me, I played the first four episodes on the PS3 back then when the game was released while accompanying the localization on a PC. It took me almost fifty hours, so I ended up just playing up to where the anime drops.

Knurek

Umineko in a nutshell:

EP1 - 10 hours of boredomcharacter building, 2 hours of action
EP2 - 5 hours of boredomcharacter building, 7 hours of action
everything beyond that: slight buildup, than pure, unadulterated action

Umineko in a nutshell:

EP1 - 10 hours of boredomcharacter building, 2 hours of action
EP2 - 5 hours of boredomcharacter building, 7 hours of action
everything beyond that: slight buildup, than pure, unadulterated action

So episode 3 and up is for the most part pretty quick? If so, I think I can handle that.

But really, this "character building" could have been condensed massively. After 4 hours, I've learned nothing that I didn't already know after the first episode of the anime.

aravuus

I don't think I ever managed to read Umineko beyond the first chapter since the first one was, to be honest, really boring up until the final hour or two.

Someday, though. Someday I'll finish it. Now I can skip the first chapter anyway, I've already read it and a quick summary should be enough. 8 10-hour long chapters is just kind of an insane thing to tackle. Reading (almost all of) what's currently out of ASOIAF took me less time, I think.

Like this is what I'm talking about. It just took 20 minutes for Kinzo to drink some shitty green liquid. I learned NOTHING in that amount of time.

Ah well, at least the soundtrack is really good.

JulianImp

So episode 3 and up is for the most part pretty quick? If so, I think I can handle that.

But really, this "character building" could have been condensed massively. After 4 hours, I've learned nothing that I didn't already know after the first episode of the anime.

I don't think I ever managed to read Umineko beyond the first chapter since the first one was, to be honest, really boring up until the final hour or two.

Someday, though. Someday I'll finish it. Now I can skip the first chapter anyway, I've already read it and a quick summary should be enough. 8 10-hour long chapters is just kind of an insane thing to tackle. Reading (almost all of) what's currently out of ASOIAF took me less time, I think.

Ep1 is so full of exposition and set-up it's probably the most boring of the bunch for first-time readers, but I reread the first hour of it a while ago and actually enjoyed it quite a bit thanks to all the information I learned from having read later episodes. Umineko does a really good job of exploring nearly the whole cast to some degree (better luck next time, Hideyoshi oji-san).

Like this is what I'm talking about. It just took 20 minutes for Kinzo to drink some shitty green liquid. I learned NOTHING in that amount of time.

On the other hand, re-reading Kinzo drinking some strange green liquid is a lot better.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Honestly they're being safe. Only their titles that have anime adaptions or Overdrive stuff does well for them in terms of non eroge stuff.

Jazz573

Honestly they're being safe. Only their titles that have anime adaptions or Overdrive stuff does well for them in terms of non eroge stuff.

Overdrive games ARE eroge. Don't confuse eroge with nukige. All nukige are eroge, but not all eroge are nukige. Also Euphoria is actually a good game.

Jazz573

Isn't anyone making an OT for the Grisaia trilogy? The first one comes out this week.

Hopefully. I'm not going to be getting it because I backed for the physical and the 18+ digital version. I really hope the 18+ version comes soon. I don't understand why they're making us wait a month longer.

So MangaGamer is kocalizing three more games. And to no one's surprise, they're all nukige. >_>

Also Euphoria has been given a release time of Summer 2015. blog twitter
Euphoria getting a DATE is a good thing.
As for the nukige, i'm ........ not intrested really.
We're beginning to have some good VNs ( eroge or not ) and while some of them were funny .. i'm much more intrested in the big release than these.

Hopefully. I'm not going to be getting it because I backed for the physical and the 18+ digital version. I really hope the 18+ version comes soon. I don't understand why they're making us wait a month longer.

I've backed Everything ( digital + physical ) so i'll be ready for the OT ( code already registered in my steam account )

I guess word of Steam is reaching Japan because there's another game being put on greenlight without an English description. It's a dungeon crawler ARPG/VN hybrid and apparently it's from a well known artist?

Playing on Chapter 10 of Steins;Gate atm (
en route to Kurisu and True ends
).
If Mayuri dies on Worldline Alpha, and Kurisu dies on Worldline Beta, then wouldn't it stand to reason there are other worldlines? What about Gamma?

I can tell this is gonna be fun.

Playing on Chapter 10 of Steins;Gate atm (
en route to Kurisu and True ends
).
If Mayuri dies on Worldline Alpha, and Kurisu dies on Worldline Beta, then wouldn't it stand to reason there are other worldlines? What about Gamma?

I can tell this is gonna be fun.

Serious steins;gate answer:
There are as many world lines as you can make world defining choices. In theory that number is limitless

No,
there's also Jessica x Kanon

Bah, seriously? No Battler interacting with Beatrice or any other cool stuff along those lines?

Got to say, I'm really tempted to just rewatch the anime for the events of episode 2 and then move onto 3. Outside of the better art (PS3 sprite version), episode 1 really had little over the same events in the anime.

JulianImp

Started episode 2 of Umineko. Please tell me this isn't all Shannon and George? I really couldn't give two shits about their story.

That's a bit of a prologue to the actual episode, alongside Jessica and Kanon's story. Again, reading through it a second time gives you a completely different read on everything that's going on in there, which I really liked.

As others have said, you'll get a slight peek at the world's best mom and local mama bear, Rosa-obasan, and Battler and Beato will definitely get it on as the episode ramps up the use of magic considerably from what you saw in Ep1.

gaiages

Banned
^Nice, thanks for the info.

I'll certainly throw in $4 to grab Aselia, but what opinions do y'all have of Edelweiss and... that nurse game? Dunno if I want to push it up to the $10 tier if I don't want the games (I'm frugal like that)

Yuuichi

Imo the $4 is one of the best deals I've ever seen, I would get it if I didn't own two copies of Aselia (EN and JP) and want a physical copy of Demonbane.

$10 tier isn't worth it, Eldewiess probably isn't worth your time. I really like Overdrive as a company, but they had a rough start.

Top Bottom