• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's true that many of them are unfit to be released. Steins;Gate would be a perfect Steam release though. I don't know the exact details behind why it hasn't been or won't be released on Steam.

I'm going to finally pick it up off on JAST's store here soon, I'd just really love to see it hit Steam because I think it could sell pretty well on there and love having my games in one place. Not a big deal but it would be nice.

It's true that many of them are unfit to be released. Steins;Gate would be a perfect Steam release though. I don't know the exactly details behind why it hasn't been or won't be released on Steam.

I'm going to finally pick it up off on JAST's store here soon, I'd just really love to see it hit Steam because I think it could sell pretty well on there and love having my games in one place. Not a big deal but it would be nice.

JAST's contract didn't let them put it up on Steam, and 5pb (the Japanese publisher) wasn't interested in changing the terms.

I wonder if they'll ever realize how stupid that was.

I'm still of the opinion that this was a good decision for increasing the sales of the console versions, which is better for the future of the series as a whole (which is largely console-exclusive). We'll just have to see if they're smart enough to put it on Steam after the console versions sell through.

cj_iwakura

I'm still of the opinion that this was a good decision for increasing the sales of the console versions, which is better for the future of the series as a whole (which is largely console-exclusive). We'll just have to see if they're smart enough to put it on Steam after the console versions sell through.

That's a fair point. I'll be floored if we get any of the spin-offs(or even Robotics;Notes), but I hope it's still possible.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Why would putting it on steam, a total non-factor in japan, effect the console sales, and if they get the money either way, why would they care?

Why would putting it on steam, a total non-factor in japan, effect the console sales, and if they get the money either way, why would they care?

I'm talking about the English release of the console versions, which is this summer. They need to build their userbase on consoles in the West.

I'll believe this when I see 5pb actually do new localization work on a console title.

Yuuichi

Depends how the release of S;G goes on console, considering JAST has rights to all titles for PC and they should really be focused on getting what they have out first.

August listed as the date for World End Economica Ep 2. Lol. The delays with this project have been pretty bad. Maybe I should just play the alpha I have access to.

Well, that's a longer wait than I would have liked, but at least it's coming. I need to know what happens next after that cliffhanger.

I don't get it, explain it to me.

Skal and chicken tenders are Robotics;Notes and Steins;Gate references. Which means it has nothing to do with either of those.

And then there's
Also, there's a (secret) reason the secret project name was changed from REDACTED. I won't say why now, but you can ax me again later this summer.
ax me again later this summer
Anime Expo 2015

Edit: Also, for those who don't know, these are the translators who sold their Steins;Gate translation to JAST. And the Steins;Gate localization was announced at AX 2013.

Nearing the end of Umineko ep 2 and this always bothered me during the anime.
Battler is pretty damn intent on proving witches and magic don't exist. YOU'RE HAVING AN ARGUMENT IN A POCKET DIMENSION THAT EXISTS OUTSIDE THE CONFINES OF A REALITY YOU ARE WATCHING! Like, is he trying to prove that magic doesn't exist while crazy sci-fi dimension-hopping time travel stuff does?

I'm sure everything will be explained at the end and I'm far from the first person to point it out, but it's just so goddamn weird to see play out, particularly when the red text gets introduced.

Shizuka

Battler is pretty damn intent on proving witches and magic don't exist. YOU'RE HAVING AN ARGUMENT IN A POCKET DIMENSION THAT EXISTS OUTSIDE THE CONFINES OF A REALITY YOU ARE WATCHING! Like, is he trying to prove that magic doesn't exist while crazy sci-fi dimension-hopping time travel stuff does?

I'm sure everything will be explained at the end and I'm far from the first person to point it out, but it's just so goddamn weird to see play out, particularly when the red text gets introduced.

It's a game.
No, really, I'm not talking about the game, but what's happening inside. He's playing a game and trying to win that game by proving he's right.

JulianImp

I honestly like how it works. It feels like Battler wants to deny the witch, but on the other side denying her would mean accepting that someone he knew had to be the culprit behind the awful murders. Red text is also really funny, since to actually treat is as an absolute truth you're supposed to trust witches, which means you're supposed to trust your enemies to supply you with facts you can use to disprove their very existence. My take on it (possibly spoilery) is that
it all ties into the series' theme of learning to trust others in a world where there're no absolute certainties whatsoever
, which is part of why I like the series so much.

It's too bad that the anime adaptation ended up microbombing, because I'd have loved to get more Umineko stuff (I saw several Higurashi-related merchandising while in Japan, but nothing Umineko-themed at all, sadly).

It's a game.
No, really, I'm not talking about the game, but what's happening inside. He's playing a game and trying to win that game by proving he's right.

How does that work?
Are they like, playing a game of Clue or something and everything we see is just a non-existent visual manifestation for the sake of the player?

I might be too dumb for this game if I was supposed to know what was going on in regards to that subject.

JulianImp

How does that work?
Are they like, playing a game of Clue or something and everything we see is just a non-existent visual manifestation for the sake of the player?

I might be too dumb for this game if I was supposed to know what was going on in regards to that subject.

Just keep reading, really. I honestly loved how Umineko handled "the truth", and it resonated well enough with me to seriously make me reconsider a couple of things in regards to detective fiction, and life in general (maybe because I'm just weird, though).

cj_iwakura

How does that work?

This is how I interpret it.

Magic exists, Battler can't deny that. But if he can prove there is a possibility that their tricks can be explained through mundane means, he wins.

How does that work?

(EP2 spoilers)
Remember Virgilia's lecture to Battler about "interpretation"? It is that sort of thing. At least I think it is.

I got the $10 Groupees bundle and ended up playing a bit of Demonbane. Really enjoying it so far. The setting is very intriguing in a dark way, the writing is fairly interesting although it can be cliche at times. The music is really good though which helps set the mood of certain scenes. I was surprised at the use of 3D background environments though. They're really bad but they distract a bit from the 2D character art.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm talking about the English release of the console versions, which is this summer. They need to build their userbase on consoles in the West.

Ah sorry, thought you were talking about the japanese market. Didn't know that they're bringing console versions over.

Jazz573

So I was near the end of Chapter 6 of Chaos;Head. But for some reason it switched to Chapter 7 earlier than the guide I was using said it would. So, I tried to reload, and the save was corrupted. I had another save, but that also was corrupted. So, I had to start again and press the ctrl key, and skip all the way back to near the end of Chapter 6. So far I've made it back to the beginning of Chapter 4. Hopefully this won't happen again, as this is actually the second time this happened; the first time was in Chapter 3.

gaiages

Banned
I played a bit of Obscene Medical Records when I had a cold over the weekend.

It was pretty bad... I stopped after a certain scene. It wasn't even 'haha this is so bad it's hilarious' bad, just... bad.

Welp, now to spend my time with the more worthwhile VNs in the Groupees bundle.

Hikami

I don't play as many (PC) VNs as I used to.. mostly because sitting at my desk for long periods of time is getting uncomfortable.

Figured someone here would know of a way to play them in a portable fashion? (Besides getting a laptop) I've seen people recommend Windows tablets but I'd have no idea which one to get.

I've tried Teamviewer to stream my pc to my phone but eh, it's just too slow. The Vita remote desktop thing is too slow as well sadly..

Crayten

Banned
I don't play as many (PC) VNs as I used to.. mostly because sitting at my desk for long periods of time is getting uncomfortable.

Figured someone here would know of a way to play them in a portable fashion? (Besides getting a laptop) I've seen people recommend Windows tablets but I'd have no idea which one to get.

I've tried Teamviewer to stream my pc to my phone but eh, it's just too slow. The Vita remote desktop thing is too slow as well sadly..

Its works pretty well for me with a MS surface. But you can run into compatibility issues with some games .

Top Bottom