• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I don't play as many (PC) VNs as I used to.. mostly because sitting at my desk for long periods of time is getting uncomfortable.

Figured someone here would know of a way to play them in a portable fashion? (Besides getting a laptop) I've seen people recommend Windows tablets but I'd have no idea which one to get.

I've tried Teamviewer to stream my pc to my phone but eh, it's just too slow. The Vita remote desktop thing is too slow as well sadly..

I've got the HP Stream 7. Super low end, but plays visual novels fine. I'm playing Higurashi at the moment. Got mine for about $50 with some amazon credit.

Marche90

I don't play as many (PC) VNs as I used to.. mostly because sitting at my desk for long periods of time is getting uncomfortable.

Figured someone here would know of a way to play them in a portable fashion? (Besides getting a laptop) I've seen people recommend Windows tablets but I'd have no idea which one to get.

I've tried Teamviewer to stream my pc to my phone but eh, it's just too slow. The Vita remote desktop thing is too slow as well sadly..

A tablet is a perfectly good choice. Just make sure to buy one with 32 GB of storage and an SD card of equal size at least and you're set. I have one, and used to finish one or two VNs and worked wonderfully. The reason why I haven't used it more to read them is because the internal storage only has 16 gb (of which 3 are free) and an 8 GB SD card, and seeing how the newer VNs are quite big, it's impossible to fit them in the SD. I still need to buy it a bigger one.

Yuuichi

I don't want to quote for the third time in a row, so just pretend instead.

I use an Asus VivoTab8, works great for me even considering I play some slightly more demanding newer games. I wouldn't run anything with very heavy visual demands (Light games, Emote engine, ect) on it though, I don't think it could handle them.

Yuuichi

IThese two look pretty nice and have 32gb of storage like Marche mentions would be necessary, I'll look into them some more. Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't know about the stream, but the Vivo has a microSD slot, so I have an effective 128gb (64gb internal, 64 card) of memory, which is enough for several games and my permanent install of bejeweled 2.

These two look pretty nice and have 32gb of storage like Marche mentions would be necessary, I'll look into them some more. Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't know about the stream, but the Vivo has a microSD slot, so I have an effective 128gb (64gb internal, 64 card) of memory, which is enough for several games and my permanent install of bejeweled 2.

Stream has a microSD as well. I've just got a 16 gb card in mine since that's what I had lying around, but honestly, I've got a half dozen VNs on there, so I've got plenty to play whenever I pick it up.

To add on a bit, the Stream is only good if you're looking to spend as little as possible. It's a seriously crappy little tablet. Only 1 gb of ram, using Windows 8.1 with a 7" screen is a pain, battery life is pretty mediocre, it occasionally refuses to connect to wifi until I restart, etc. But if all you want is to play VNs, and you are looking to spend very little money, it does the job just fine. Despite the issues, I do not regret my purchase at all, just be aware that playing VNs is one of the only things that tablet can actually do well.

So Sekai Project Memory's Dogma game is actually their next Kickstarter.

"A state-operated facility that allows one to communicate with the deceased: the Connect Center"
Year 2030. With Japan's recent advancements in information science and neuroscience, human memories can now be saved and recorded. The technology is referred to as "e-Memory."
However, due to the rapid increase in the number of crimes using the e-Memory technology, the government has introduced strict regulations on human memory data.
In essence, the government now holds a monopoly on all human memory data.
The recording of still-living humans was forbidden, and the e-Memory technology was only to be used on the deceased, giving rise to the establishment of "Connect Centers." These state-owned and operated facilities allowed one to call and communicate with the dead.
These "Connect Centers" allowed people who were still in a period of bereavement to cope with their loss by talking with their recently deceased loved ones.
The protagonist, Kusuhara Hiroki, is a college student struggling with suicidal impulses after the sudden passing of his close childhood friend, Mizunashi Sorano.
Her memories were to last only until August 26—a mere four more days. Kusuhara teams up with his friend, Amamiya Kakeru, in an attempt to steal Mizunashi Sorano's memories from the server where they were stored.
In the midst of this, the two discover the secret of the Connect Centers, and are suddenly embroiled in the fight taking place behind the scenes.

They are aiming for 30k. It's apparently going to have actual animation in it.

Okay, unnecessary hype deflated for that Anime Expo thing. For now.

YnIe6O4.png

Could just be a cover-up, though. At any rate, I'm still pretty sure something's happening, even if not at Anime Expo.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So Sekai Project Memory's Dogma game is actually their next Kickstarter.

They are aiming for 30k. It's apparently going to have actual animation in it.

Having already dumped a hefty amount to Sekai and other recent games Kickstarter, I'll step out from funding this one. Mainly due to no special physical items involved. I have no doubts it'll get funded, so I'll wait to pick it up when released :)

Knurek

So, with Steins;Gate release so close, I wanted to ask : is Chaos;Head worth it ?
Should I read it before SG or should I just read it directly ?

It's nowhere near the level of Steins;Gate.
But it's not a bad VN per se, well worth the read for the fucked up things PC can imagine.

Jazz573

So, with Steins;Gate release so close, I wanted to ask : is Chaos;Head worth it ?

Playing it right now. Definitely worth it. It takes place before S;G, but it doesn't really matter if you play it before or after. I played S;G first, and I'm still enjoying it. There are references to C;H in S;G, and you'll end up recognizing them no matter which one you play first.

It's very possible we might get a better translation of the updated version of Chaos;Head, which would be better than the current fan translation of the PC version. No idea at this point if it's going to be another fan translation or something official, but it's being worked on.

So, it might be good to play Steins;Gate in the mean time. You might miss a few passing references to Chaos;Head, but there's nothing at all vital to the story.

Jazz573

Does anyone have a save for Chapter 6 in Chaos;Head? I've had to play up until Chapter 6 multiple times, because my saves keep getting corrupted.

Edit: I've done a bit of searching and it seems to be a common problem, and it doesn't look like giving me a save would help at all.

Edit 2: I'm on chapter 6
and I can't seem to get the questions at the end of the chapter to appear. I've tried clicking the red lifeline, the green one, and neither one, and I can't get them to appear.
Can anyone help me please?

A bit into episode 3 of Umineko. You know, I always thought Battler's insistence on not suspecting any of the 18 was odd. Like, why not Gouda, who he's known for like a day? Same with Kanon to a lesser extent. Hell, if it was me, I'd have no problem suspecting Kinzo. The guy's a senile asshole that doesn't give a shit about his family at all (at least at this point), and I doubt Battler ever had an amazing relationship with the guy.

Knurek

Hell, if it was me, I'd have no problem suspecting Kinzo. The guy's a senile asshole that doesn't give a shit about his family at all (at least at this point), and I doubt Battler ever had an amazing relationship with the guy.

Ohh...
Somebody's mind's gonna be blown come ep 5.

Thank you all for your advice.

Ohh...
Somebody's mind's gonna be blown come ep 5.

EP 5 was a mindblowing moment throughout the episode.

It's fun to see someone reading Umineko for the first time.

Spoiler for the whole series :
Only to be surely disappointed at the end.

I loved the ending personally.
Sure enough, everything was explained in EP7, but EP8 was a great closure

Again, spoilers for the whole series, do not read if you hadn't read Umineko :

I don't know, it's kind of a love/hate relationship with it personally.

I loved how R07 dared to do the whole incest thing with Kinzo, the battle of Rokkenjima, the Leon alternate kakera, and the Van Dine rules.

On the other hand, it really boiled down to "a bunch of idiots blew themselves up".

For me Rudolph and Kyrie being the culprits is much better. Plus it explained why Eva acted the way she acted with Ange.

JulianImp

I loved the ending personally.
Sure enough, everything was explained in EP7, but EP8 was a great closure

Knurek speaks the truth. I absolutely loved the ending.
While I had been 100% pro-truth until a while before the end, EP8 finally managed to make me see that the truth wasn't worth it for poor Ange, and she deserved better even if it was an excuse to get over her tragic and unavoidable past.

Also, magic gave us the absolutely over-the-top Ushiromiya family and their furniture vs Erika and the goats battle, which was awesome as hell. Well, except for poor old Hideyoshi doing nothing, like always.

And then there was the 34 vs Bern battle, which was also really cool.

Yes, I ended up choosing the magic ending, in case you couldn't tell from all I've said.

Considering MG has an actual corporate structure and tends to do things in a timely manner, I would say late 2015 - early 2016.

Yeah, I don't think it will be stuck in a JAST limbo, I'm just curious about how quick the turn around will be. I don't know how much technical work needs to be done and whether the game needs to be ported to a different engine. Still, soon enough we will get an officially localized Hikaru Sakurai Steampunk game, which I never expected to happen.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got the groupees bundle. Already had go go nippon and what I've played of it made me cringe so hard my face turned inside out, but aselia and dues something something seems pretty promising. Any impressions of these two?

Got the groupees bundle. Already had go go nippon and what I've played of it made me cringe so hard my face turned inside out, but aselia and dues something something seems pretty promising. Any impressions of these two?

Aselia is a strategy RPG/VN hybrid that plays kind of like an Ogre Battle game. The story is about a person from the regular world who gets thrown into a fantasy world conflict. It's an all ages release, so nothing icky. The writing isn't great, I enjoyed it mostly for the gameplay.

Demonbane is a Lovecraft themed giant robot visual novel. It get a little gross (you can imagine how an eroge makes use of lovecraft), but it has a lot of hot blooded mecha action with a unique setting.

Antiwhippy

The world of demonbane is really, really fucking weird.

Did they seriously call it arkham city?

I like it though.

Antiwhippy

Ah alright.

They're definitely eluding to it though with the whole hero of justice thing. Didn't know that it was originally a lovecraft thing.

Also the art is so 90's anime.

Shizuka

Jazz573

So, I'm at Chapter 8 of Chaos;Head.
I'm wondering what the connection between Shogun and Rimi is. Is she working with him? What did she mean when she told Shogun he should kill Takumi? Also, is Shogun connected with Nozomi? One more question, well, actually two, do we ever find out what happened with Nanami's arm, and how did Shogun find out about "Whose eyes are those eyes", and the formula? Was he really spying on Takumi's thoughts?
Please don't tell me anything that would spoil anything.

I'm wondering what the connection between Shogun and Rimi is. Is she working with him? What did she mean when she told Shogun he should kill Takumi? Also, is Shogun connected with Nozomi? One more question, well, actually two, do we ever find out what happened with Nanami's arm, and how did Shogun find out about "Whose eyes are those eyes", and the formula? Was he really spying on Takumi's thoughts?

Well, in answer to your question of "do we ever find out what happened", I'll just say yes to all of that, just keep reading.

Jazz573

I know a lot of people, including myself, who will disagree with the second half of your statement.

Well it is pretty highly ranked on vndb. So obviously there are still many people who think it's a good game. And besides, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't try it.

I loved this entire feeling of wanting to know more and more at this point in the game. Just keep going, everything will make sense soon.

Antiwhippy

Jesus christ.

It's like kurou has a goddamn tree trunk.

Demonbane is pretty goddamn silly so far. Enjoying the silliness though.

Ah alright.

They're definitely eluding to it though with the whole hero of justice thing. Didn't know that it was originally a lovecraft thing.

Also the art is so 90's anime.

Demonbane is supposed to take place in Massachusetts, where Lovecraft's stories are focused on. The game even references a ton of locations in the Miskatonic valley from the his novels. So yeah, the setting is really weird.

Now you have me wanting to replay it. I think I'll just listen to the theme song instead.

Top Bottom