• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I guess that could explain why chiruchiru is out when den and lbyrith and still MIA
Frontwing went on their own and used a fuwanovel translation to put out Chiruchiru now. Eden and Labrinyth still need to be localized by Sekai Project.

I can't trust a single thing that is written there even though I am concerned that the All Ages version is a different translation.

It is very apparent that herkz has a very different view on things compared to myself and that's fine. However, all he *seems* to be doing with this is turning people off towards visual novels instead of doing the opposite. Perhaps I don't get that viewpoint yet, or perhaps my inexperience shows here and if I'm wrong then I would rather be educated about it.
I'm not sure how complaining about a business partner is some scheme to turn people off visual novels.

Frontwing went on their own and used a fuwanovel translation to put out Chiruchiru now. Eden and Labrinyth still need to be localized by Sekai Project.

I'm not sure how complaining about a business partner is some scheme to turn people off visual novels.

Thank you for the information.

I don't know how involved anyone in that link is with the Grisaia project or with Sekai Project as a whole, and I do completely agree (and with herkz in a way) that at least something appears off when it comes to either the VN community's best interest or Frontwing.

If most of what is there is the truth, then I'm in the wrong and I admit it but it's very hard to know the sincerity of it all. Besides, it's hard to take some of the things he says seriously and perhaps that's just a difference in tone too.

In the end, I can't connect the dots (yet) because I don't know where to put the dots in the first place. I just don't want to take it all as truth just because it's coming from people who might be working with it or have knowledge of it.

Lain

What I get from that is that amateurs stay amateurs.
You usually don't openly complain about your business partners, at least not in such detail or with such a tone, for obvious reasons.
Being a professional also means having to bear all the bullshit that happens behind the curtains without letting it spill out.

I mean, that paints Frontwing badly but it also paints the people localizing their works as unprofessional, at least to me.

You usually don't openly complain about your business partners, at least not in such detail or with such a tone, for obvious reasons.
Being a professional also means having to bear all the bullshit that happens behind the curtains without letting it spill out.

I mean, that paints Frontwing badly but it also paints the people localizing their works as unprofessional, at least to me.

It certainly does look unprofessional, but I guess that's what you get when you hire fan translators who talk too freely in their IRC channels. But that's all VN localization companies can get with the low rate they pay for this work.

Nitroplus has released a new PV for their 15th anniversary project, Tokyo Necro 凍京NECRO. It will be released on 27th of November this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnJjy2zpq0

IMO the setting is quite interesting, it is rare to see necromancers being the main enemies.

Trying not to get too hyped because I don't care for Shimokura but being an anniversary game means I'm still looking forward to it.

Josephl64

Pretty much my sentiments. I can totally understand them not wanting to work with Frontwing again, but really dislike the unprofessionalism at the same time.

JulianImp

There's about a billion endings, and the skip function never worked correctly for me. It would skip some choices, so it would go the route as if Makoto choose to not answer. Had to use x16 speed to get some done. I just got some endings and kind of stopped, it's way too long and annoying to navigate.

I was actually surprised that the ending I got was fairly normal, with nobody crossing the line unlike what happens in the anime. So far I've used the skip function for some of the generic scenes I know I've already watched, and it always stopped whenever I had a choice to make. Still, I agree that the way the game is set up makes navigating different routes a pain. I would've liked an actual scenario tree where you could actually see which choices you haven't explored yet, or at the very least some kind of visual cue to tell apart choices you've previously made from ones you haven't chosen yet.

Now I'm focusing a bit more on Sekai, and it's interesting that I'm spotting several things that I didn't even see when going full Kotonoha, such as how the former was all alone during lunch breaks and kept lying to both Makoto and her friends about it. Actually, the Kotonoha route felt really forced now that I think about it, since it kept Makoto away from every character except for Kotonoha, so all his interactions ended up being against this pure ojou who just wanted him to acknowledge and be with her. By hanging out a bit more with Sekai, I've already had a couple scenes that flesh out both her and Kotonoha way better than many late scenes in the Kotonoha route, such as them exploring their conflicting feelings of selfish/selfless love and what their families are like.

The fun part is that no matter the route you choose to take, the game keeps tempting you with the low-hanging fruit of attempting to have your cake and eat it too. I'll probably bite in the end, since role playing Makoto as a gentle guy who wants to set things straight all the time does feel out-of-character for him after all.

I'm in the wrong with my earlier comments and I'm really sorry about that. Exactly how much of it is or isn't true isn't relevant.

I want to say that it's unprofessional, but as a programmer I can still sympathize with it all, especially since I'm definitely not under the impression that most translators or editors are paid that well. It's much easier to be professional when the paycheck is good enough to keep a roof over your head and not remind you that life sucks ass.

The only things that can be done is to learn more and put the money on the table to support the VN industry because I think it's worth it.

FWIW, I do not think backing something on Kickstarter is an investment because most of the backers are not putting money into it with the hope of eventually make a profit out of what they are buying. Granted, there are some backers that probably are looking for a chance to "flip" physical goods, but the reasons for backers...well, backing :)...may be too diverse to be labeled with one word.

Yuuichi

I want to say that it's unprofessional, but as a programmer I can still sympathize with it all, especially since I'm definitely not under the impression that most translators or editors are paid that well. It's much easier to be professional when the paycheck is good enough to keep a roof over your head and not remind you that life sucks ass.

The only things that can be done is to learn more and put the money on the table to support the VN industry because I think it's worth it.

FWIW, I do not think backing something on Kickstarter is an investment because most of the backers are not putting money into it with the hope of eventually make a profit out of what they are buying. Granted, there are some backers that probably are looking for a chance to "flip" physical goods, but the reasons for backers...well, backing :)...may be too diverse to be labeled with one word.

I'm going to agree with most of this. It's horribly unprofessional, but Frontwing's actions sound like they're likely to get themselves soft blacklisted from the professional community. It sucks for the people who like their games, but responsibility does ultimately fall on FW for this.

As for that kickstarter thing from a while ago, while I get the concern over 18+ content, I don't really understand being angry that SP runs kickstarters for their games even though they make money. As I see it, a kickstarter for translating a title (or making a new one) is a safe way to gauge interest in something and guarantee some return on investment for a minimal cost in terms of man hours. Sure beats spending the time and resources translating something only to discover no one wants to play it. It's a smart, safe business strategy that's guaranteed to keep them working and lets them do work on some of the smaller, less safe stuff they work on.

JulianImp

More ramblings on School Days incoming.

So, I replayed the story and ended up getting the ending where Sekai would transfer out instead of Setsuna, so the latter and Makoto pretended to become a couple in order to make the jealous Sekai stay to be with him.

The only weird part was that Sekai's mother had a change of heart after seeing her daughter's sadness about transfering out, and Setsuna learned about that before Sekai herself did. I guess Makoto and Setsuna pretending to have sex while making sure Sekai was listening on the phone was used as a plot device to force her hand, but it's still weird since it could've also led to Sekai doing something stupid.

Even if it was all make-believe, there were some strong NTR vibes coming from Setsuna which made this ending somewhat weird, even if it was all supposed to be part of her master keikaku to strengthen Makoto's bond with Sekai... or something.

I'd rate this story above the superflat Kotonoha-only route since, by being with Sekai, Makoto gets to interact more with the rest of the cast than he does when he's only looking at Kotonoha. Still, it isn't particularily amazing by any means so far... is School Days' only claim to fame the fact that you could get a couple of Higurashi-level bad endings, or are there some interesting things to be found in certain routes? I'd rather not go to a site with route maps or anything, since I feel like doing that would be awfully boring for a game that focuses on its story.

Jazz573

More ramblings on School Days incoming.

So, I replayed the story and ended up getting the ending where Sekai would transfer out instead of Setsuna, so the latter and Makoto pretended to become a couple in order to make the jealous Sekai stay to be with him.

The only weird part was that Sekai's mother had a change of heart after seeing her daughter's sadness about transfering out, and Setsuna learned about that before Sekai herself did. I guess Makoto and Setsuna pretending to have sex while making sure Sekai was listening on the phone was used as a plot device to force her hand, but it's still weird since it could've also led to Sekai doing something stupid.

Even if it was all make-believe, there were some strong NTR vibes coming from Setsuna which made this ending somewhat weird, even if it was all supposed to be part of her master keikaku to strengthen Makoto's bond with Sekai... or something.

I'd rate this story above the superflat Kotonoha-only route since, by being with Sekai, Makoto gets to interact more with the rest of the cast than he does when he's only looking at Kotonoha. Still, it isn't particularily amazing by any means so far... is School Days' only claim to fame the fact that you could get a couple of Higurashi-level bad endings, or are there some interesting things to be found in certain routes? I'd rather not go to a site with route maps or anything, since I feel like doing that would be awfully boring for a game that focuses on its story.

Ah, well, I'm using a walkthrough for the entire game, because figuring out how to get all the ends is too much for me.

JulianImp

Ah, well, I'm using a walkthrough for the entire game, because figuring out how to get all the ends is too much for me.

I'm not doing that since it feels like starting from your intended goal and working your way backwards kind of defeats the purpose of a story-based game IMO. In Umineko terms there's no going back once you look at a story's guts, and I agree with that sentiment, since to me narrative-driven games are more about the journey than the destination.

I mean, I still haven't been all that bored by the game (even though I am skipping several of the more inconsequential parts already). I guess I might eventually look up a guide to see which endings are there, but I'd rather enjoy it as a story first.

Yuuichi

Finished both Sanoba Witch and Aokana this week, I've been a busy man. I don't want to type long winded expositions on both because it's kinda late right now, but I would be glad to talk about either if anyone is curious. Gotta decide what's next from over 15 games that need a varying degree of completion (and one I haven't started). I also need to try the Sakura no Uta trial, as I never did get around to that.

Jazz573

Translation Status Update August 2 from /r/visualnovels
Originally from /jp/ on 4chan

Fuwanovel version

Edit:

I've since shared this on reddit and VNDB. There's a guy on VNDB trying to claim that if this conversation causes Frontwing to lash out against SP, since I shared it on reddit, I'll be held as one of the responsible parties. What a load of bullshit. It's not like it wasn't publicly available in the first place. It was on Tlwiki's IRC channel, which is completely open to the public, and shared on 4chan.

Jazz573

Sekai Project is bringing another VN to Steam tomorrow

Asphyxia

Steam said:
Samantha and Lillian are best friends. At least, they were, until everything fell apart. Now, Samantha has a day to repair their relationship – but is it already too late?

Looks interesting. Not expecting an earth shattering game.

made a VNDB account today, I'm forgetting some titles, but that should be enough for now.

Of course somebody found me before I posted this, here's my list. Any recommendations?:(yes I love my eroge mixed with gameplay elements)

https://vndb.org/u102179/list

Since you seem to enjoy gameplay focused VNs, I'd suggest trying Eien no Aselia and Tenkuu no Yumina. Kamidori Alchemy Meister would probably be worth your time too. I see you played Utawarerumono, so I suggest you check out Tears to Tiara. Oh and since you're a big Rance fan, I suggest trying Bunny Black, which has a protagonist somewhat similar to Rance.

I should point out that of my suggestions, I've only played Bunny Black. I know these games are generally well liked tho. I own Eien no Aselia, but I still need to play it.

Also, can you read Japanese? Because then I could probably recommend a few more.

Yuuichi

made a VNDB account today, I'm forgetting some titles, but that should be enough for now.

Of course somebody found me before I posted this, here's my list. Any recommendations?:(yes I love my eroge mixed with gameplay elements)

https://vndb.org/u102179/list

While not very heavy on the H side, especially compared to AliceSoft games, I see a distinct lack of games from team Eternal: 永遠のアセリア, 聖なるかな, and 天空のユミナ[different company, same team]. Also, pretty much any high rated Eushully title will probably be right up your alley. I would stay away from some of the Leaf stuff with gameplay, it never seemed so much like gameplay to me as a chore.

I've since shared this on reddit and VNDB. There's a guy on VNDB trying to claim that if this conversation causes Frontwing to lash out against SP, since I shared it on reddit, I'll be held as one of the responsible parties. What a load of bullshit. It's not like it wasn't publicly available in the first place. It was on Tlwiki's IRC channel, which is completely open to the public, and shared on 4chan.
I'm not really sure how to say this without coming across as an ass, so for that I apologize. I think the best parallel I can draw here is to the phrase "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Just because something is available somewhere, doesn't mean the first thing you should do is run around posting it everywhere. Not only was publicizing this a holistically idiotic idea for a host of reasons, I was frankly a little offended when the first thing you did when I posted about FH was run around posting that everywhere as well. I have accounts on both VNDB and Reddit, and if I wanted something posted somewhere I would post it myself. I know internet culture is very "share everything and know everything" but I find that mindset to be incredibly narcissistic. You're not the center of the world, and I see your decisions as a failure to consider anyone involved but yourself. That said, I'm not looking for an apology; the best apology you could make would be to learn from your mistakes. No one is perfect, and we do need to learn from our mistakes.

I'm also not saying that this might not have been spread by someone else either, but there's no reason to instigate unnecessary conflict, which, frankly, is exactly what you did by running around and screaming about Frontwing. It's not something that should have been talked about in a public setting either, but those who spread it are just as much at fault.

I'm also not saying that this might not have been spread by someone else either, but there's no reason to instigate unnecessary conflict, which, frankly, is exactly what you did by running around and screaming about Frontwing. It's not something that should have been talked about in a public setting either, but those who spread it are just as much at fault.

It probably had no effect in this case considering people on /jp/ were emailing Frontwing about this before I even mentioned it here. It was an IRC log publicly available on internet, placing blame on Jazz for linking it before someone else did is a bit much. Though your news about FH is a bit different obviously.

Edit: And the Wish localization kickstarter finally limped over the finish line.

Yuuichi

It probably had no effect in this case considering people on /jp/ were emailing Frontwing about this before I even mentioned it here. It was an IRC log publicly available on internet, placing blame on Jazz for linking it before someone else did is a bit much.

My point is more that it shouldn't have been linked at all. I don't go to /jp/ very often, but most of the time things discussed there stay there. I still see it as poor decision making by every party involved. I can see what I said coming off as a personal attack, which is not my intention and hopefully it isn't misconstrued as such.

Edit: regarding the change to your quote: I had no intention to bring up that I took issue with that at all until I saw his post (otherwise I would have done so days ago, it's not like I just magically got mad), since I see both as sort of a symptom of the same problem and saw it as a way to both express my personal frustration in a (hopefully) constructive manner and use it as a learning oppertunity

My point is more that it shouldn't have been linked at all. I don't go to /jp/ very often, but most of the time things discussed there stay there. I still see it as poor decision making by every party involved. I can see what I said coming off as a personal attack, which is not my intention and hopefully it isn't misconstrued as such.
None of these places are sandboxes where news doesn't spread to and from, especially when it comes to Reddit and 4chan. You have a point with your FH news, but the idea that this Front Wing stuff wasn't going to spread no matter what is silly. I wouldn't have rushed to put the news everywhere, I actually deliberately avoided doing that thinking this thread was ok to discuss it, but placing blame on any one other than the people talking shit in a public place is bit misplaced.

Jazz573

I'm not really sure how to say this without coming across as an ass, so for that I apologize. I think the best parallel I can draw here is to the phrase "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Just because something is available somewhere, doesn't mean the first thing you should do is run around posting it everywhere. Not only was publicizing this a holistically idiotic idea for a host of reasons, I was frankly a little offended when the first thing you did when I posted about FH was run around posting that everywhere as well. I have accounts on both VNDB and Reddit, and if I wanted something posted somewhere I would post it myself. I know internet culture is very "share everything and know everything" but I find that mindset to be incredibly narcissistic. You're not the center of the world, and I see your decisions as a failure to consider anyone involved but yourself. That said, I'm not looking for an apology; the best apology you could make would be to learn from your mistakes. No one is perfect, and we do need to learn from our mistakes.

I'm sorry I wanted to share something I was excited about with other people. I didn't think I needed permission to share it. When you post something that would be potentially be of interest to many people, you should most definitely expect it to be shared. It completely baffles me how you could possibly be offended, by me sharing it. I don't feel I made any mistake and I don't plan to do things any differently. I'm sorry if you won't see eye to eye with me, but I honestly don't see the big deal. I apologize in advance if anything I've said here upsets you, but I'm not going to change just to please you.

Josephl64

Since you seem to enjoy gameplay focused VNs, I'd suggest trying Eien no Aselia and Tenkuu no Yumina. Kamidori Alchemy Meister would probably be worth your time too. I see you played Utawarerumono, so I suggest you check out Tears to Tiara. Oh and since you're a big Rance fan, I suggest trying Bunny Black, which has a protagonist somewhat similar to Rance.

I should point out that of my suggestions, I've only played Bunny Black. I know these games are generally well liked tho. I own Eien no Aselia, but I still need to play it.

Also, can you read Japanese? Because then I could probably recommend a few more.

Only at a novice's level which is why games like Sangoku-hime are beyond what I can do. That's why you see on my list only much simpler titles like "Date A Live's" vn and "WA2" instead.

Definitely planned on doing Kamidori later as it is Eushully which basically complements AliceSoft perfectly.

Never heard of Eien no Aselia before, but I'll look into it.

While not very heavy on the H side, especially compared to AliceSoft games, I see a distinct lack of games from team Eternal: 永遠のアセリア, 聖なるかな, and 天空のユミナ[different company, same team]. Also, pretty much any high rated Eushully title will probably be right up your alley. I would stay away from some of the Leaf stuff with gameplay, it never seemed so much like gameplay to me as a chore.

I have 天空のユミナ ordered and on its way. Definitely would love to play more Eushully too like La DEA. As for Leaf, Utaware seemed fine to me, so maybe we just differ there.

Yuuichi

None of these places are sandboxes where news doesn't spread to and from, especially when it comes to Reddit and 4chan. You have a point with your FH news, but the idea that this Front Wing stuff wasn't going to spread no matter what is silly. I wouldn't have rushed to put the news everywhere, I actually deliberately avoided doing that thinking this thread was ok to discuss it, but placing blame on any one other than the people talking shit in a public place is bit misplaced.

It's certainly one way to look at things. I guess I am living in my little fantasy land, but I guess I don't mind doing so. We can sit here all day and argue over whether or not it would have spread, but frankly I see that as a waste of time. I see your reasoning, but I still believe those who further instigate the sharing are at fault as well. I'm not really sure we're gonna get any further than mutual disagreement.

I'm sorry I wanted to share something I was excited about with other people. I didn't think I needed permission to share it. When you post something that would be potentially be of interest to many people, you should most definitely expect it to be shared. It completely baffles me how you could possibly be offended, by me sharing it. I don't feel I made any mistake and I don't plan to do things any differently. I'm sorry if you won't see eye to eye with me, but I honestly don't see the big deal. I apologize in advance if anything I've said here upsets you, but I'm not going to change just to please you.

I understand where you're coming from, and if it means I need to carefully control information instead, then so be it. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm making a big deal out of it (because frankly it's not a very big deal), but I still don't think that lessens the fact that I find the rampant sharing of what I'm going to call "unofficial" information disrespectful.

Yuuichi

Only at a novice's level which is why games like Sangoku-hime are beyond what I can do. That's why you see on my list only much simpler titles like "Date A Live's" vn and "WA2" instead.

Definitely planned on doing Kamidori later as it is Eushully which basically complements AliceSoft perfectly.

Never heard of Eien no Aselia before, but I'll look into it.

I have 天空のユミナ ordered and on its way. Definitely would love to play more Eushully too like La DEA. As for Leaf, Utaware seemed fine to me, so maybe we just differ there.

I guess my leaf problems mostly lie with Tears to Tiara 1, it's quite possibly one of the most boring things I've ever played (but the anime is actually pretty good). I never tryed Utaware as a result, but maybe it doesn't suck.

A quick note on Aselia and Yumina. Like I mentioned, Aselia, Seinarukana, and Yumina are actually all made by the same team. Seinaru is the direct sequel to Aselia, and Yumina is the spiritual sequel to both of them (with it getting a direct? sequel next month if they stop delaying it, lol). The combat evolves from title to title, so there's certainly something to be said for playing them in order. That said, as Aselia and Yumina are separate universes and have different enough combat that I wouldn't consider it mandatory by any means.

Also, spoiling as little as possible, Yumina has one of the strangest tonal shifts I have ever seen in any of the games I've played. I think you'll like it.

Edit: it's so late I'm double posting, I think that means it's time to sleep

Tears to Tiara 2 is a legitimately good game, don't let misgivings from their earlier titles put you off that one, the combat is much better in it.

Jazz573

I understand where you're coming from, and if it means I need to carefully control information instead, then so be it. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm making a big deal out of it (because frankly it's not a very big deal), but I still don't think that lessens the fact that I find the rampant sharing of what I'm going to call "unofficial" information disrespectful.

I don't really want to drag the discussion on any longer, but I don't see how it was disrespectful. If you had said you weren't okay with it being shared, and I did it anyways, that would definitely be disrespectful, and most certainly I would not have shared it. But you didn't, so how I was supposed to know it would bother you?

Since I don't want to worsen the situation, from now on I will not share anything you post unless you specifically say it's okay to share. Is that agreeable?

I'm not really sure how to say this without coming across as an ass, so for that I apologize.

Then don't say it. That phrase only works for minor bits of rudeness or if you aren't fluent in English. That whole rant was precisely and deliberately rude and would have taken minimal effort to say more politely, especially that ridiculously condescending bit at the end about "not looking for an apology." It boggles my mind that you can, with a straight face, tell someone the world doesn't revolve around them, and then immediately insist they change their behavior at your behest. The only person here who should apologize is you.

Josephl64

I guess my leaf problems mostly lie with Tears to Tiara 1, it's quite possibly one of the most boring things I've ever played (but the anime is actually pretty good). I never tryed Utaware as a result, but maybe it doesn't suck.

A quick note on Aselia and Yumina. Like I mentioned, Aselia, Seinarukana, and Yumina are actually all made by the same team. Seinaru is the direct sequel to Aselia, and Yumina is the spiritual sequel to both of them (with it getting a direct? sequel next month if they stop delaying it, lol). The combat evolves from title to title, so there's certainly something to be said for playing them in order. That said, as Aselia and Yumina are separate universes and have different enough combat that I wouldn't consider it mandatory by any means.

Also, spoiling as little as possible, Yumina has one of the strangest tonal shifts I have ever seen in any of the games I've played. I think you'll like it.

Edit: it's so late I'm double posting, I think that means it's time to sleep

About to order Aselia, should I wait on playing Yumina until Seinarukana comes out here or is the JP simple enough so that I could possibly get through it?

I do have tons of other VNs to play so I could wait if that would be the "best" way to experience the series.

Tears to Tiara 2 is a legitimately good game, don't let misgivings from their earlier titles put you off that one, the combat is much better in it.

I still have to play the first one, but I've never had problems with combat if it's just antiquated instead of bad.

--------------------------------

On another note I see there are "bundles" on JList. If anybody here is familiar with that, do they mean that you get the games as if you bought them separately, or are they all on one disc?

Talking about this stuff reminds me I still have to struggle through Rance IX. I say struggle since my kanji game is non-existant.

Yuuichi

I'm sorry that what I said seems to have angered people, if you would like to talk it out any further I'll gladly give you my contact details so we can discuss this in a private channel.

About to order Aselia, should I wait on playing Yumina until Seinarukana comes out here or is the JP simple enough so that I could possibly get through it?

I do have tons of other VNs to play so I could wait if that would be the "best" way to experience the series.

It's not the "best" way to play the series by any means, just a way. If I had to classify the games, Yumina would be a dungeon crawler and Aselia and Seinaru would be strategy games, as the only thing they have resembling RPG trappings is the fact you can level up units. Because Yumina was made with a different company it has no ties to the last two other than combat design.

As for Seinaru's difficulty of reading, I frankly don't remember, but you need to be able to read well enough to understand the combat system, and for the same reason I wouldn't play it without playing Aselia first. Also, I highly recommend save scumming regardless of which you play, game overs can strike before you understand your mistakes, and even if you don't get a game over, playing down a character or two (more of a problem in Aselia) makes an already tough game that much harder.

cj_iwakura

Really enjoying Planetarian so far. Maybe I'm just glad to be taking a break from F/SN. Good god, I should not have tried to do all three routes in succession. Talk about burn out.

Marche90

Really enjoying Planetarian so far. Maybe I'm just glad to be taking a break from F/SN. Good god, I should not have tried to do all three routes in succession. Talk about burn out.

... I read all three routes in less than a week, skipped a day of college classes and even read for 24+ hours straight at one point. The moment I saw the sun rising again I just stared at my laptop saying to myself "what the hell was I thinking!?"

Reading F/SN was quite an experience lol

Edit: Granted, I was 18 at the time and it was the second VN I had ever read, so maybe that influenced things a bit

fertygo

I playing an VN once in blue moon, when I does I goes for all route that I like to do.. most VN even had more route than FSN

Working with japanese publishers I can say some things shouldnt stay behind the curtains and people should know how business negotiations with such publishers work.

At least when it comes to anime, japanese business partners are the worst you can work with and from reading something from some other GAF-members (and this one now) seems that is true in the videogame business too.

Josephl64

Some of the comments on the Clannad Kickstarter...just SMH.

Granted, we don't 100% know what the DRM will be, but as long as it doesn't make a physical copy useless in 15 years or so then it doesn't matter that much and it is what it is.

You would think the people bitching had to use a code wheel or instruction book to save the game or something. :)

Jazz573

Some of the comments on the Clannad Kickstarter...just SMH.

Granted, we don't 100% know what the DRM will be, but as long as it doesn't make a physical copy useless in 15 years or so then it doesn't matter that much and it is what it is.

You would think the people bitching had to use a code wheel or instruction book to save the game or something. :)

No. I think it really is a big deal, and I definitely sympathize with those commenters. I also frankly think it's quite disrespectful to dismiss them as "bitching". Having to keep the disc in at all times is obnoxious as hell.

Josephl64

It seems DLsite and Gyutto are both running similar sales until the 17th/18th. I think it's only digital titles.

aww, yeah I checked...kind of a shame

No. I think it really is a big deal, and I definitely sympathize with those commenters. I also frankly think it's quite disrespectful to dismiss them as "bitching". Having to keep the disc in at all times is obnoxious as hell.

Right, I know some are going to try and get around it via ISOs, but they really shouldn't have to go through that hassle.

I don't know if my copy of Clannad does that too...maybe it does, but then again I purchased it way after I played it so I'd have to check.

Yuuichi

From my collection of games, drm seems to come in two major varieties:

1: Disk in at launch (disk check)
2: Region Check

All of the Visualarts games I have (bunch of key stuff and Hanasaki Workspring) use only the second, so I'm kinda curious how this is implemented. I'm probably one of the few backers who doesn't really care since I'm used to bizarre drm tricks; I'll just make an ISO and mount it since windows 8 (and 10?) has build in virtual drives, something most people don't seem to realize, if my bypass tricks don't work. I totally get why people are angry, but it's not like it's a new practice in the industry.

I kinda wish they went with whatever DRM Aokana uses. It doesn't need the disk most of the time, but it seems like every so often it asks for the disk and refuses to start and none of my cheap tricks can get around it. Not a problem because I have the disk, but still a bit of a hassle, although a lesser one than most games.

I do see your point with this as I meant to say that some of them were and not all of them and that's on me (I don't know how I missed saying that). I will say that some of those comments are "bitching" and stand by that, and I would be glad to discuss it further in any way you wish. It's not like Sekai Project is guilt free in this anyway.

Having to hear a disc spin all of the time is very obnoxious, but we don't completely know what it will do and I still sympathize of course. Knowing that someone is buying a product that has inconveniences now and possibly severe problems down the road (if not already) isn't fun.

Josephl64

From my collection of games, drm seems to come in two major varieties:

1: Disk in at launch (disk check)
2: Region Check

All of the Visualarts games I have (bunch of key stuff and Hanasaki Workspring) use only the second, so I'm kinda curious how this is implemented. I'm probably one of the few backers who doesn't really care since I'm used to bizarre drm tricks; I'll just make an ISO and mount it since windows 8 (and 10?) has build in virtual drives, something most people don't seem to realize, if my bypass tricks don't work. I totally get why people are angry, but it's not like it's a new practice in the industry.

I kinda wish they went with whatever DRM Aokana uses. It doesn't need the disk most of the time, but it seems like every so often it asks for the disk and refuses to start and none of my cheap tricks can get around it. Not a problem because I have the disk, but still a bit of a hassle, although a lesser one than most games.

It shouldn't. The only issue with Japanese copies of VisualArt's games is region locking.

Oh alright then. I knew VisualArts had region locking, but never even thought about the possibility of them having disc checking until now.

I'm way too used to AliceSoft which just doesn't care.

cj_iwakura

Steam reviews of Asphyxia are coming in, and it sounds like the title goes to some dark places, I'm guessing
suicide attempts.

It does sound charming despite that, though.

So since Umineko was a bust and apparently the kind of horror VN I want doesn't exist (translated at least), any other VNs with really good twists (preferably ones that won't rely on the fanbase to tell me what they are)?

Eyeing Sekien no Inganock. That any good? Liking the art style a lot.

Top Bottom