• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

So since Umineko was a bust and apparently the kind of horror VN I want doesn't exist (translated at least), any other VNs with really good twists (preferably ones that won't rely on the fanbase to tell me what they are)?

Eyeing Sekien no Inganock. That any good? Liking the art style a lot.
Ignarok is good, though I wouldn't really call it horror, it's more of a noir type thing.

Ignarok is good, though I wouldn't really call it horror, it's more of a noir type thing.

I don't really need horror, though the kind of tense and oppressive atmosphere you see in stuff like Zero Escape, Danganronpa, and at the seemingly unreachable end, Saya no Uta is a big plus. One reason why I'm pretty interested in Euphoria whenever that comes out. I just want some nice twists.

But yeah, not really a noir guy, so hmmm....

jonjonaug

I just want some nice twists.

Kira Kira's Kirari route has some fun twists in it, Rewrite has a really batshit twist that sets up the final route even by Key "true end" standards, "No, Thank You!!" has plenty of twists throughout all of the routes and also adds additional scenes on replays to further develop the story on top of being the best BL game available in English, Kikokugai has an interesting take on little sister heroines plus it's Urobuchi at his Urobuchi-est, there's Ever17 and Remember11 if you want stuff from the Zero Escape writer, and Hatoful Boyfriend and its fandisc both have some really interesting and shocking material near their ends (no, really).

So Clannad physical copies will have Disc check DRM for the main game and side stories as per Sekai. People who aren't happy can cancel the physical version or their pledge completely. Was hoping for DRM free on disc or at least a steam key with disc but at least they let people cancel it.

Kira Kira's Kirari route has some fun twists in it, Rewrite has a really batshit twist that sets up the final route even by Key "true end" standards, "No, Thank You!!" has plenty of twists throughout all of the routes and also adds additional scenes on replays to further develop the story on top of being the best BL game available in English, Kikokugai has an interesting take on little sister heroines plus it's Urobuchi at his Urobuchi-est, there's Ever17 and Remember11 if you want stuff from the Zero Escape writer, and Hatoful Boyfriend and its fandisc both have some really interesting and shocking material near their ends (no, really).

Played Ever17. Twist was good, getting to it was not. Started Kikokugai a while ago, but kind of stopped since the setting didn't really interest me. Might go back to it if it's indeed pure Urobuchi. Kind of wary about starting Remember11 after hearing about its non-ending, and while other gaffers have tried to reassure me, other places have had the opposite effect ("true" answers supposedly never decided on by the staff, important things open to interpretation, etc).

Will give everything else a look. Can't imagine Hatoful Boyfriend having a crazy shocking twist, but I'm open to being surprised.

Jazz573

So Clannad physical copies will have Disc check DRM for the main game and side stories as per Sekai. People who aren't happy can cancel the physical version or their pledge completely. Was hoping for DRM free on disc or at least a steam key with disc but at least they let people cancel it.

This was already brought up on the last page, so it's old news by now.

Shizuka

Circle Entertainment has been working on bringing an English localization of the Harvest December line of 3DS visual novels to the eShop. The publisher has announced that the translations have been completed on Twitter.

Now that the Harvest December translations are finished, it is possible for Circle Entertainment to begin the next step toward releasing the series of short visual novels to the eShop. Quality assurance testing has begun to make sure the product plays properly.

Harvest December focuses on the love story between Masaki and Yuki, occasionally taking breaks to feature side stories. It is a port of a PC game that came to the Nintendo 3DS in Japan in installments beginning in 2013.

Source: Siliconera.

JulianImp

Since I just saw Planetarian's on sale on Steam, what's the general consensus on the game? Also, I'd like to know a couple things, such as whether it's fully voiced or not, and if it's a kinetic VN or if it allows the player to influence the story in some way.

cj_iwakura

Since I just saw Planetarian's on sale on Steam, what's the general consensus on the game? Also, I'd like to know a couple things, such as whether it's fully voiced or not, and if it's a kinetic VN or if it allows the player to influence the story in some way.

It seems fully voiced, even the protag. And I believe it's kinetic. Very engrossing so far, highly recommended.

There are no choices and it is fully linear. Planetarian is good, probably Key's best work.

Josephl64

I feel like I'm the opposite, haven't really liked anything not Maeda from Key...at least not to the same degree

Then again Key is 4th or 5th place in terms of companies to me, so that might be why.

jonjonaug

The Steam version should be the full voice edition (there's only two characters, different versions of the game are no-voice and just Yumemi voiced). There are no choices and it has only one ending. It's also only about three hours long, but it's a very good three hours.

Himawari translation is 100%, did they pick a fantranslation to edit?
I'm not sure I'd call it a fan project, but Conjueror and Garejei have been working on it since before it was announced, and even before a deal with Frontwing was made.
Or in Conjueror's words:
Originally I thought of trying to translate my favorite Japanese mystery novels Dogura Magura and Gokumon To into English, but I soon realized I didn't possess the creative writing skills necessary. I decided to practice with visual novels (of which I am even a bigger fan) since they usually have easier writing, and my first practice project -- Himawari, ended up being picked up by MG as I offered them my services (my friend GareJei helped me a lot with improving my prose -- the guy has master's in English Literature and has an amazing sense for English writing).

Trying to get the danganronpa 2 platinium

I hate this ( i'm missing 2 rods , 2 ribbons and 1 diaper in monomi mode )

I want to kill someone..THE RNG is strong in this one...

is that their idea of despair ?

jonjonaug

Trying to get the danganronpa 2 platinium

I hate this ( i'm missing 2 rods , 2 ribbons and 1 diaper in monomi mode )

I want to kill someone..THE RNG is strong in this one...

is that their idea of despair ?

I haven't gone crazy about trying to 100% VNs since Ever17's "you must pick every choice in the game to unlock two bonus artworks" (there are roughly 100 or so irrelevant choice options in Ever17) and the Tsukihime fandisc's insane flowchart that can lock you out of content if you do too much to advance the plot too soon. I'll still 100% a game if there's interesting stuff to be had (No, Thank You!! is a good example) but do you even unlock anything in DR2 other than a trophy? Good luck to you if you still have to scratch that itch.

I haven't gone crazy about trying to 100% VNs since Ever17's "you must pick every choice in the game to unlock two bonus artworks" (there are roughly 100 or so irrelevant choice options in Ever17) and the Tsukihime fandisc's insane flowchart that can lock you out of content if you do too much to advance the plot too soon. I'll still 100% a game if there's interesting stuff to be had (No, Thank You!! is a good example) but do you even unlock anything in DR2 other than a trophy? Good luck to you if you still have to scratch that itch.

Well i got the plat for the first game and it was damn fine and easy , i mean in the first game it was getting the normal ending & bad ending, the secret ending , all the characters endings and extra CGS.
It was fine because that was stuff about the game.
BUt dangan 2 went all IN with tamagoshi pets , a action mode with light rpgs elements AND a what if island mode that is not nearly as well made as in the first game. ( the trip ticket balance is BAD )

My save is at 63 hours, 41 minutes and 57 secs.. and i'm still not done..
*Sigh* if only the things missing weren't behind that annoying Random luck drop.

My save for dangan 1 is at 32 hours only. i just can't believe it.

To answer the question .. the game artwork section is filled with concept art, all the music in the game and all the events & CGS , but right now what is annoying me is that this stuff is just some side activity bullsh*t

gaiages

Banned
So, I'm still trying to work through *eden, could someone tell me about how much is left after
the journalist shows up
? I'm wondering if I should just try to power through it tonight/tomorrow or if I still have a fair bit to go.

So, I'm still trying to work through *eden, could someone tell me about how much is left after
the journalist shows up
? I'm wondering if I should just try to power through it tonight/tomorrow or if I still have a fair bit to go.

2 or 3 hours maybe? I don't remember more specifically than that.

I just saw the email as well. I think it's a net positive though I didn't care about the DRM.

I think it's a positive move as well, and I did have my concerns with DRM but it wasn't a big deal for me either. It's still annoying to hear a disc spin though.

There is never a guarantee that any game will successfully play on a newer OS (or that you can redownload it in the case of many consoles/handhelds) many years down the line, and DRM only complicates that issue.

It's time to throw more money into Clannad's BackerKit now and to hope for the best for this game's translation and future VNs.

Josephl64

I'm impressed with how fast Beat Blades Haruka is getting translated. I mean it doesn't have the most text ever, but when it first got announced....I thought it would only reach 15% by this point.

jonjonaug

Oh really? Is it considered a better translation than Higurashi?

Yes, but this is partially because the original translation for episodes 1-4 of Higurashi was very poor to begin with. The Umineko translation has quite a few unnecessarily translated words ("____ obaa-san" comes up a lot as an example) and is pretty awkwardly phrased in places. It's not the worst fan TL but it's far from the best.

cj_iwakura

Yes, but this is partially because the original translation for episodes 1-4 of Higurashi was very poor to begin with. The Umineko translation has quite a few unnecessarily translated words ("____ obaa-san" comes up a lot as an example) and is pretty awkwardly phrased in places. It's not the worst fan TL but it's far from the best.

Heh, I got emails complaining that I didn't keep honorifics in our translation of Ougon. I had them call her Auntie Eva.

JulianImp

Heh, I got emails complaining that I didn't keep honorifics in our translation of Ougon. I had them call her Auntie Eva.

Honorifics are a real pain, but I'd rather localize them properly unless the team I'm working with happens to want to keep them around. While there are nuanced honorifics, oba-san is as straightforward as they get. Personally, I'd rather translate that as aunt, and only use the more endearing auntie for "oba-chan".

I've read a bit more of eden, and so far it's been fairly interesting. I barely got to the part where the MC is assigned to guard the girl's room, but I liked how the dialogues were used to build the world and the interpersonal relationships between the MC and the other characters.

yami4ct

Anime News Network did an interview with Uchikoshi about Zero Escape. Not that much of interest, but I found this part to be pretty hilarious.

ANN said:
The last thing I wanted to ask about is your friendship with Kodaka-san who does the Danganronpa series. How would you characterize that relationship?

Uchikoshi: Kodaka's not only my drinking buddy, but he's also the friend that takes me to the kinds of bars with girls--kyabakura, they are called--we're buddies in that sense.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-08-13/interview-zero-escape-series-creator-kotaro-uchikoshi/.91629

Kodaka's Uchikoshi's wingman. Haha. I'm not sure a guy that's super obsessed with despair is the kind of dude you want to help you with the ladies.

Playing Remember 11 right now. Good start. Uchikoshi sure pulled the
I'm in the wrong body
twist out early. Did not expect that.

gaiages

Banned
Finished eden*. I liked it, but it really did drag at the second half, like everyone said. There were multiple points where I was like "oh this seems like a good ending point" but... alas, it kept going. Probably would have been a lot better if they could have condensed some of that second half. The ending still got to me, though. ;-;

I think I'll try X-Note next, in terms of VNs. I don't know how it is at all, but I have it on Steam, so might as well give it a try.

Raytow

So after finishing Steins;Gate any recommendations for similar VN not talking about sci-fi per se but mistery and such, already played Higurashi, Umineko, my waifu is an eldritch horror, and that eroge about a serial killer with a fixation with egss(can't recall the name)

I finished Xblaze Lost Memories. It's essentially a fandisc to the first Xblaze that spends much of its runtime recapping the first game. It eventually stops doing that, but even then it's not really all that compelling. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are buying it on sale for cheap in the future. Even the really mediocre and flawed first Xblaze was more enjoyable.

Nekopara vol 0 is like 30 minutes long and not very good. Thankfully it's cheap enough that selling Steam cards almost makes it a free purchase.

gaiages

Banned
I finished Xblaze Lost Memories. It's essentially a fandisc to the first Xblaze that spends much of its runtime recapping the first game. It eventually stops doing that, but even then it not really all that compelling. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are buying it on sale for cheap in the future. Even the really mediocre and flawed first Xblaze was more enjoyable.

Nekopara vol 0 is like 30 minutes long and not very good. Thankfully it's cheap enough that selling Steam cards almost makes it a free purchase.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Lost: Memories either, especially since I played the first XBlaze to completion; I really didn't need or want to sit through the recap. It didn't help that there was a marked increase of fan-servicey shots, too. Just a bleh experience overall.

jonjonaug

So after finishing Steins;Gate any recommendations for similar VN not talking about sci-fi per se but mistery and such, already played Higurashi, Umineko, my waifu is an eldritch horror, and that eroge about a serial killer with a fixation with egss(can't recall the name)

The two Zero Escape games, 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, might interest you.

I finished Xblaze Lost Memories. It's essentially a fandisc to the first Xblaze that spends much of its runtime recapping the first game. It eventually stops doing that, but even then it not really all that compelling. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are buying it on sale for cheap in the future. Even the really mediocre and flawed first Xblaze was more enjoyable.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not happy by the xblaze report.i was one of those who enjoyed the first ..but wanted more answers to the story . not a recap.
I guess i'll wait a little before purchasing it.

Nekopara being so short is quite understandable given the price and his origin.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Lost: Memories either, especially since I played the first XBlaze to completion; I really didn't need or want to sit through the recap. It didn't help that there was a marked increase of fan-servicey shots, too. Just a bleh experience overall.

How fan servicey are we talking ? Is it on the same level as the pool chpater in the first game ? or more ... you know ...

Thanks for the info.

I'm not happy by the xblaze report.i was one of those who enjoyed the first ..but wanted more answers to the story . not a recap.
I guess i'll wait a little before purchasing it.

How fan servicey are we talking ? Is it on the same level as the pool chpater in the first game ? or more ... you know ...
I would say that the recap does give a number of answers about the original story, it's not a complete repeat. And that's only half of the game.

And... I think it had about the same amount of fanservice as the first game (which definitely had a number of shower/bathing scenes in addition to the swimming pool scene).

cj_iwakura

Day 13 of Heaven's Feel. Things are finally happening, I think. If I have to deal with any more Special Cooking Works, I'll kill Sakura myself.

Top Bottom