• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

aravuus

Dropped AA: Investigations 2 midway through the second case like half a year ago, picked it up again tonight. Wow, Courtney is annoying. Can't wait to see her delicious "I lost" animations sooner or later.

Also I've seen people call AA:I 2 possibly the best AA game, or at least one of the best, but after the first two cases, I'm not seeing it yet. Sure hope the rest of the cases are more interesting.

Dropped AA: Investigations 2 midway through the second case like half a year ago, picked it up again tonight. Wow, Courtney is annoying. Can't wait to see her delicious "I lost" animations sooner or later.

Also I've seen people call AA:I 2 possibly the best AA game, or at least one of the best, but after the first two cases, I'm not seeing it yet. Sure hope the rest of the cases are more interesting.

The more you play the more you piece things together , the more it get better.
Once you see it , you'll love it.

pariah164

Dat Amnesia summary...

In this visual novel, you’ll play as the Heroine whose life depends on hiding your recent loss of memory while you navigate complex relationships with five men. Choose your romantic path from the start to piece together that which was forgotten.
Yes please. I am getting flahbacks of Sweet Fuse.

aravuus

The more you play the more you piece things together , the more it get better.
Once you see it , you'll love it.

Well then, looks like I gotta finish it this week!

Maybe I should read a quick recap of the first case, too. Seems like I've forgotten most of it.

Knurek

Well, I'd say it's still slightly worse than AA3, but yeah, definitely second best.

gaiages

Banned
So since it comes out tomorrow, I wanted to post some impressions I have of Amnesia: Memories thus far. I thought it might help you guys decide whether or not you want to buy it. I'll keep it spoiler free :3

First off, I've only gone through two paths thus far, but the two "Worlds" (paths=worlds) I picked, Heart and Diamond, have been quite interesting thus far. I really enjoyed Heart World and the story it told, and Diamond is interesting, but I don't like it much. Not that I don't like it because it's a bad story per se, but the things that happen in it make me :(, without going into spoilers. My friend worked through Clover World, and he said he liked parts of it, though he didn't really get into it much (probably because he's saving it for his review).

The art also looks really good, imo. The translation's solid overall, I haven't noticed any spelling/grammar errors yet.

But, the main problem I have with it is that it's very hard to get the Good End for each World, and you need to get the Good End for each of the first four paths to unlock the final one. I went through Heart World three times, getting the Normal End each time, before someone passed on a Japanese guide that I Google Translated, and while that's a less than ideal method, it helped me piece together which choices I have to pick to get the good ending. And quite honestly, some of the choices are really hard to tell what the 'right' choice is, and others are downright mean--for example, my friend sent me a screencap from Spade World with his two choices: "Yes, I'll go." and "Yeah, I'll go."... yes, that's right. And obviously one of these options is the 'right' option. And another time, I was given three options, and decided to reload and choose all three, but none of them really seemed that different from one another. However, one choice was the right choice and the wrong one would lock me outta the Good End. It can be rough.

But, other than the rough Good End requirements, I really like it. It just might be one of those titles you may want to wait to play with a guide for. Or you can use the guide I'm using and deal with the Engrish and puzzle things out that way. :3

Oh, and at least atm, it's not very tablet friendly. I had to hook up a wireless keyboard to make the game skip dialogue, as it wouldn't register the tablet's touch keyboard, not even in windowed mode. Right clicking doesn't do anything on my tablet, and opening the menu is a pain. These might change with patches, and probably doesn't mean much to most, but I wanted to put that out there.

Lain

Are the nukige even good nukige? Haven't played them, but it doesn't seem that way unless I'm mistaken.

The ones in the first tier are pretty meh, but I guess for $3 you can't expect much. The ones in the second tier I didn't play, as with most of these I buy them but then I forget about them. They are supposed to have a bit more... meat to them.

So I've progressed majorly in YU-NO... more like, YU-do dis.

Finished Kanna/Kaori route today. For the conventional routes, I don't have a preference, though Kanna is the best girl in terms of romance... or so I thought.

Then I made the mistake of starting the epilogue.

No heroine charmed me like Sayless did except Sora from Ever17. I was smiling all the way through for all of that "happy family" arc. I had a few involuntary "aww"s.Then that murder happened. With the obvious foreshadowing 15 minutes before that happens, the murder itself didn't have much impact. What really got to me was Yu-no's attempt to console Takuya afterwards. It was just so heartwrenching... Few moments in VN and in general have beaten that moment for me.

I was a bit pissed at that oasis h-scene with Sala mostly because I was reeling from Sayless' death still.

I stopped at the next save point because it is 1 AM already.

Overall impressions:

Point&click elements were rather redundant since they often just had you holding ctrl and trying to find out how to progress the story. I liked the Picross puzzle in Mio's route, though if I hadn't known about how to solve them beforehand I would likely have been stuck.

Jewel system was quite complicated but it could've been fun to use if progressing the story wasn't so damn boring at times. I tried to use it once, got hopelessly stuck after the part where Ichijou attacks you at the infirmary in her route and then started from scratch and strictly adhered to the walkthrough.

The h-scenes were pretty great for the most part, the art was, while obviously dated, very sensual and had a tinge of realism to it that most other VNs lack.

The story itself was pretty interesting but hindered by the adventure game elements. The characters were all interesting well though I think they could've used more character development, which admittedly is very difficult to do with a canonical time span of 2 days. Kanna's route is the best when it comes to characterization, Kanna's backstory (while merely conveyed through a 5-minute flashback sequence that wasn't sufficiently impactful) had some depth to it that could've been explored, but the most we get is a short monologue before the sex scene.

Also kinda bummed that my favorite heroines had less hentai CGs, haha (Kanna, Kaori and Eriko only have 2 each while Ayumi herself has 8).

Overall, it's great. The epilogue, especially, is amazing (it's like a better Muv Luv Alternative).

So I've progressed majorly in YU-NO... more like, YU-do dis.

I know what you mean about Sala, I felt the same way. Sayless isn't even cold in the ground and he's already getting busy with someone else.

I enjoyed the jewel system once I learned it, but I didn't really find more than 2 or 3 jewels before I consulted a flowchart. Once I got a few it was pretty cool hopping all over, though by that time the game was almost done. I hated having to redo Kanna's route a few times since she keeps going unconscious and got to find just the right spots to click. Got majorly stuck at the end of her route, had clicked all over for several minutes before I had to look up a Let's Play to see I missed clicking her neck I think in just the right spot.

That epilogue is both insane and brilliant. I love how your save file shows the % you've completed and tricks you into thinking you're just about done before it hits you with it. Total genre shift too just blew my mind. Most of the game I'm playing this modern day sci-fi parallel world / time travel game and then suddenly I wake up in fantasy Middle-Earth. I'm still kind of conflicted about it. On one hand it's just about the most ballsy development I've seen, but on the other it feels too much like another game entirely and doesn't quite work completely with the other section of the game.

I know what you mean about Sala, I felt the same way. Sayless isn't even cold in the ground and he's already getting busy with someone else.

I enjoyed the jewel system once I learned it, but I didn't really find more than 2 or 3 jewels before I consulted a flowchart. Once I got a few it was pretty cool hopping all over, though by that time the game was almost done. I hated having to redo Kanna's route a few times since she keeps going unconscious and got to find just the right spots to click. Got majorly stuck at the end of her route, had clicked all over for several minutes before I had to look up a Let's Play to see I missed clicking her neck I think in just the right spot.

That epilogue is both insane and brilliant. I love how your save file shows the % you've completed and tricks you into thinking you're just about done before it hits you with it. Total genre shift too just blew my mind. Most of the game I'm playing this modern day sci-fi parallel world / time travel game and then suddenly I wake up in fantasy Middle-Earth. I'm still kind of conflicted about it. On one hand it's just about the most ballsy development I've seen, but on the other it feels too much like another game entirely and doesn't quite work completely with the other section of the game.

So it's 5: 30 AM now. My hypothesis that YU-NO is just a better made Muv Luv Alternative is still going strong. The genre shift is RAD. I love it when VNs do this (probably why I liked Muv Luv Unlimited overall more than Alternative, as well as one of the reasons I love 999 so much) and well, while it isn't the smoothest transition while still leaving some lingering questions-such as why didn't Takuya ever ask his father via telepath/dream/whatsoever if there was a way out or how he could find him- I found myself less interested in the overall mystery about that whole Chaos Correction, Reflector etc. stuff and much more invested in Takuya's own journey.

This is probably why it's listed as 50+ hours on VNDB (and silly me thought it was just because I was using a walkthrough that I had less than 20 hours by the time the epilogue rolled in). Well, I'm enjoying it immensely despite I don't like fantasy much. It shows how a character-based story can be beautiful, I guess.

That whole Sayless arc... ;^;

I think I played more than 10 hours of it in one day...

Jazz573

So it's 5: 30 AM now. My hypothesis that YU-NO is just a better made Muv Luv Alternative is still going strong. The genre shift is RAD. I love it when VNs do this (probably why I liked Muv Luv Unlimited overall more than Alternative, as well as one of the reasons I love 999 so much) and well, while it isn't the smoothest transition while still leaving some lingering questions-such as why didn't Takuya ever ask his father via telepath/dream/whatsoever if there was a way out or how he could find him- I found myself less interested in the overall mystery about that whole Chaos Correction, Reflector etc. stuff and much more invested in Takuya's own journey.

This is probably why it's listed as 50+ hours on VNDB (and silly me thought it was just because I was using a walkthrough that I had less than 20 hours by the time the epilogue rolled in). Well, I'm enjoying it immensely despite I don't like fantasy much. It shows how a character-based story can be beautiful, I guess.

That whole Sayless arc... ;^;

I think I played more than 10 hours of it in one day...

I'm so excited to see people talking about one of my favourite VNs (and games, for that matter). I'd be glad to discuss it more, as it's my second favourite VN.

YU-NO what are you doing

RYUUZOUJI

WHAT

WHAT

P.S: that priestess is hot lol

Though I had ruled out the possibility of her being YU-NO because the amount of growth seemed disproportionate as it was from 12 years-ish to suddenly 20 in only 2 months, seeing as Takuya described it as "four times the pace of normal humans" her being YU-NO seemed off to me, but then again Dela Grante's life forms seem to be going through drastic metamorphosis. Maybe it was just that crucial time for YU-NO. Sad that her father missed that if that is the case

update

AYUMI WHAT THE FUCK

WHAT THE ACTUAL EVERLIVING FUCK

Ryuuzouji was one thing, finding these two (Ayumi and Eriko) is another. Holy fuck

Yu-no's smile (naturally) reminded me of Sayless. <3

HOOOOOOOOLY SHIT

so, I just realized Kanna, and Takuya's birth mother are celestials

OH HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK

edit 4(i think)

Finished the VN... o_O

Is "Go Sayless!" (under SP Disc) just a retelling of the Sayless arc or is there more to it than what was in the core game?

BTW I think I found who Sayless reminds me of. It's Utsumi Kali from Remember11,with some Honoka from Mamankyoushitsu mixed in (Sayless reminds me of both).

The ending was anticlimactic, I was expecting to see Dr. Arima in the flesh. Then again, it's better than padding it too much. Still, feels like the ending could have been handled better.

So JAST is apparently planning to release Shiny Days, Seinarukana, Sumaga, Flowers, and Sonicomi all this year. The world must be ending if we're getting 5 JAST games in 3 months.
I know, most of these titles will be delayed again.

Marche90

So JAST is apparently planning to release Shiny Days, Seinarukana, Sumaga, Flowers, and Sonicomi all this year. The world must be ending if we're getting 5 JAST games in 3 months.
I know, most of these titles will be delayed again.

I *really* want to see them try, especially with Sumaga (lol)

cj_iwakura

He has it good in Heaven's Feel. Really like him there

Day 15 was nuts, it's almost over, I think,
Berserker dead and Sakura failing to kill Kirei.

Question about Kirei's backstory...
So him having a wife was before Zero? I'm surprised that was never touched on.

I'd say two films is ideal for all this plot, and that's with taking out all the cooking.

jonjonaug

I'd say two films is ideal for all this plot, and that's with taking out all the cooking.

It was mentioned at the start of Zero.

fertygo

First 5 minute of Zero anime mention that dude

I don't think I will be starting another VN for quite some time, especially because I now have a 1.5 hour daily limit on everything witb a screen :( (eyesight issue -.-)

Top Bottom