• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
RightStuf is running a sale on JAST USA products again. (NSFW) Lasts until the 3rd. It also includes some non-JAST USA titles.

I suppose I should mention you need to use the promo code: JAST15.

Really need to get Aselia and Song of Saya... Shall I hurt my budget one more time? I do want to get through Saya before Nitroplus Blasters is out, too. Too much good stuff this year... too much money gone to Kickstarters...

EDIT: Went ahead and got both since they were out of stock anyways...

Kindred Spirits on the Roof (Yurirei) is getting an uncut Steam release. Apparently the game isn't that lewd (nothing mosaiced), but this comment makes it seem like a change from Steam's side too.
“It’s great to see our years of effort finally paying off as visual novels containing adult content gain more mainstream acceptance and recognition as a valuable medium for artistic expression.

This is monumental news for the industry as a whole. Everything will be open and up-front with this release; no off-site patch or workarounds. Kindred Spirits will be sold on Steam completely uncensored. Seeing frank depictions of same-sex relationships welcomed on such a major gaming platform is a true testament to the open-mindedness of our society and the growing desire for mature entertainment that people of all walks of life can enjoy.”
And hey, maybe Gahkthun can get on Steam too now.

Kindred Spirits on the Roof (Yurirei) is getting an uncut Steam release. Apparently the game isn't that lewd (nothing mosaiced), but this comment makes it seem like a change from Steam's side too.

And hey, maybe Gahkthun can get on Steam too now.

I must admit that i don't know this game too well , but the perspective of seeing this kind of release on steam is great IMO.
Also i love yuri stories so i guess my interest is raised !

JulianImp

So, what VNs are there that didn't have to get censored to make it into Steam? While I'd probably want to try out Saya no Uta sometime, my desired price range for games tends to be <$15, which is at odds with most VNs being priced at around the $40 mark, and Steam's the only platform that tends to discount games often enough to make them attainable even if they have higher base prices.

Shizuka

So, what VNs are there that didn't have to get censored to make it into Steam? While I'd probably want to try out Saya no Uta sometime, my desired price range for games tends to be <$15, which is at odds with most VNs being priced at around the $40 mark, and Steam's the only platform that tends to discount games often enough to make them attainable even if they have higher base prices.

Higurashi.

Josephl64

Might be an odd question, but I got curious and looked at that RightStuf site and saw something that surprised me. Why is "Bible Black" so expensive? Is it that rare/coveted? Was going to get it until I saw the price.

(C88 broke my wallet)

upandaway

Looks like I gotta wait a bit more. Classes are starting again, I'm moving and, to be honest, I'm kinda hooked on MGS V right now. Lol.
Sure have fun. Just started because I was having trouble getting the audio to work. It's pretty chill so far, I like it.

Sure have fun. Just started because I was having trouble getting the audio to work. It's pretty chill so far, I like it.

I played that after Ever17 and Remember11, and I gotta say that I liked Never7 much more than I expected. Maybe it's because I just skipped the common route after the first time, but the game rarely bored me.

upandaway

Should I be going for specific choices? There's been a lot so far and I've been winging it. After playing something like Steins;Gate I never know if I should be using a walkthrough or not.

Without spoiling anything hopefully

Should I be going for specific choices? There's been a lot so far and I've been winging it. After playing something like Steins;Gate I never know if I should be using a walkthrough or not.

Without spoiling anything hopefully

N7 is pretty much romance oriented, so if you try to cater to the heroines by choices then I don't think you will have much of a problem. Also, fail to get any route and you default to Yuka's.

upandaway

So... Yuka and Makoto traveled back.

It's been nice and chill for most of the time so far but things suddenly really kicked in. Surprised that the both of them remember the whole 6 days, interested to see where things are going.
Quite a lot of things are unlike any other Uchikoshi VN I've played, which honestly is a really good thing. I've been feeling a bit of a samey-ness in his stuff recently. The characters remind me of R11's characters, especially Lin=Saki.

Most of the plot points so far were pretty clearly telegraphed, for sure, but from not too far in advance. I have some guesses for the rest but we'll see.

And dangit please knock it off with that bell already... it's so creepy. I hate it when objects continue to come back like that. It's freaking scary. When he got the paper bag from Haruka I was ready to flip out, it was so obvious it was in there.

Edit
Yuka route done

I was ready for it thanks to the thread but yeah I agree with all the people saying it's a lot more of a normal romance VN. Not much to say about this route beyond what I already said, no surprises or anything. The SoL and the romance were nice.

...Besides Makoto punching the heck out of Okuhiko and then torturing him with sea roaches

Dice//

Banned
What....what is this game, I'm dying here.... the pictures in the link are amazing, the art of bad art is truly something. xD

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GAME-0014966&page=top
GAME-0014966.jpg

jonjonaug

What....what is this game, I'm dying here.... the pictures in the link are amazing, the art of bad art is truly something. xD

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GAME-0014966&page=top
GAME-0014966.jpg

You don't know Gakuen Handsome?

There's an anime coming out soon.

Anime OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsaGbsMxiyU
Anime ED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApVIgwSpcNk

Anyway it's one of the few BL games worth checking out that doesn't have any sort of translation. Go beg Mangagamer for it, they have at least two people working for them that would do a good job and would love to work on it.

Dice//

Banned

Anyway it's one of the few BL games worth checking out that doesn't have any sort of translation. Go beg Mangagamer for it, they have at least two people working for them that would do a good job and would love to work on it.

giphy.gif

Oh praise jeezus this is amazing.... thank you. I actually might go bug them ahah

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I was going to say "they are selling this game as a physical copy??" I mean, it's a joke right? Then I saw this post... what in the waht??

upandaway

Saki route is just surreal so far. I'm thoroughly confused. Not really enjoying this route either right now but I'm still not too far in.

Every single person is completely different from the other routes, it's like opposite world

upandaway

Finished Kurumi just now, only Izumi left.

It's sort of like what I would picture an Uchikoshi romance VN being, but it does have some problems, like the fact all the routes so far were put into the exact same formula (she dies at the end -> slip back once -> everything repeats almost exactly the same except for the last moment and things are ok), and Uchikoshi characters aren't exactly well written (especially kids) which is important in romance. But it's pretty comfy overall, probably thanks to the fact each route took me only a couple of hours, so it goes by fast.

Shiina

KnS2 is probably out soon and it's been so long since I played the first game that I forgot almost everything. Is there a good summary of it anywhere or should I replay the true route in preparation?

upandaway

Never 7

Haha~ there we go, Schrodinger's Cat. I wouldn't have known what to do if it didn't pop up eventually. It's like a signature at this point.

Higurashi episode 2 Watanagashi is also now out of translation and 86% edited.

So yeah, this should be out soon.
I forgot to ask, how was episode 1 in the end? Is it significantly better?

And do we know how the sales were?

Sölf

I still have to finish that one. It's not that great since I've seen the anime and know all the twists and stuff, but eh. Will probably buy all of them just to help Mangagamer and Ryukishi (new when they cry when?!)

i-is that good or not

i don't know

Those are excellent numbers, far beyond what Mangagamer's non Steam titles do, albeit at a pretty low price point. The question is really how much of that audience keeps up with the releases and doesn't just leave the first chapter on their backlog.

upandaway

.......whoa.

okay.

no wait that's not okay. what?!

saying okuhiko and izumi pretended makes no sense. the other routes showed him not speaking out and it still happened (rice and car battery). I'm confused

Higurashi episode 2 Watanagashi is also now out of translation and 86% edited.

So yeah, this should be out soon.

I think I will have to replay CH1,I forgot a lot. Glad it's finally coming.

.......whoa.

okay.

no wait that's not okay. what?!

saying okuhiko and izumi pretended makes no sense. the other routes showed him not speaking out and it still happened (rice and car battery). I'm confused

There it is.

upandaway

edit:
ooooooooohhhh ok ok. i think i got a better idea now

--------------
I'm totally getting trolled right now. Every time she's about to explain something it gets interrupted.

upandaway

This got really fun all of a sudden

"It was curry because you said it's curry, if you were gonna say stew it was gonna be stew" Y'know what game

nuts to you too

freaking hell I was actually wondering about that part for most of the VN. I admit defeat

Hey,
Has anyone seen this mystery/thriller VN on Steam, called Who Is Mike?
It certainly looks pretty interesting, and can be had for free.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=448157808

I don't get what "Greenlit" means, it seems like the game isnt quite ready yet?
I need a game to get me back into VNs which have been on the backburner lately.

It means it's made it through Steam Greenlight and will be available for sale on Steam whenever it is finished. Being greenlit doesn't say anything about the state of development.

upandaway

Izumi Cure and Izumi done

Izumi route was cute, I didn't expect that at all. Izumi Cure A seems like the actual big route though, Izumi was like a small append, and Cure B just made my head hurt.

I'll be honest I'm still not solid on what's going on in all the routes, I felt like most of Cure A the game was making fun of me with tricks and coincidences, which was pretty fun realizing how the game is deliberately spinning me around. I'm still spinning a little bit. From the "normal" routes I liked Yuka's the most.
Everything I wrote about the first 4 routes still stands, but Cure A definitely changed my mind about the whole package. I think R11 is still the only Uchikoshi VN where I never felt bored at any point.

I still have Yuka Cure but I'll do that a bit later, according to the game it's just the Yuka route from her POV so there's not much of a point right now.

I enjoyed myself, really happy I played this. As long as you don't keep expectations high it's nice.

Top Bottom