• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

aravuus

I thought it did look quite a bit lighter than what the quote implies.

Guess I've never really given slice-of-life stuff even a try, so I suppose I should check Grisaia out anyway. Which routes are the darker ones? If I'll just do those lol

Guess I've never really given slice-of-life stuff even a try, so I suppose I should check Grisaia out anyway. Which routes are the darker ones? If I'll just do those lol

Amane's route is probably what that is referring to.

I haven't read a VN in ages, probably gonna check out Planetarian when it next goes on sale.

Amane's route is probably what that is referring to.

Amane's route was more nonsensically stupid for me than dark. It'd have made a bit more sense to me if the thing went in the direction it did after
they'd been plopped on some deserted island after a plane crash vs. just falling off the highway and starving to death while being hours away from civilization.

Is this true? Haven't read, played or watched anything dark and depressing in a while, would be a nice change of pace.
Grisaia's best moments are during the common route when the thing is focusing on the comedy aspect of things, the VN certainly has its moments (I probably enjoyed Mitchiru / Makina routes the most from what I read of the thing) but I think the consensus is that the thing goes downhill as the story starts to break away from being lighthearted fun times. The thing gets weird. Not sure how the sequels are though.

If you want dark and depressing I'd check out Swan Song.

Edit :

Though if you're looking specifically for slice of life (that can also get dark in a way that's far more grounded in reality than anything Grisaia tries) then you really can't go wrong with Katawa Shoujo. It's fantastic.

Jazz573

Translation Status Update September 13 from /r/visualnovels
Originally from /jp/ on 4chan

Fuwanovel version

Edit:

This is an interesting article, mainly in regards to 18+ and Valve. The link is to a pastebin of the article, since it's originally from an NSFW site, which refused to not have NSFW ads, so this version is without any 18+ images. Someone on the subreddit pointed out that this section was interesting in particular:

"Given the variety in age of users and in worldwide cultural views of adult content, along with Steam's lack of necessary tools for customers to filter out content they don't wish to see, we are still unable to sell or distribute explicit content."

Shizuka

Degica has changed the Muv Luv Kickstarter goals. Now the 250k goal that included MLA is the base goal. And a Vita release goal at 600k has been added.

My heart can't take this. They need to clarify that they have managed to secure a developer and a publishing license with Sony if they removed the Vita port just to include it again.

Also, it won't make it to 600k, so the dream is dead.

My heart can't take this. They need to clarify that they have managed to secure a developer and a publishing license with Sony if they removed the Vita port just to include it again.

Also, it won't make it to 600k, so the dream is dead.

It mentions supporting a Japanese release, so presumably the development would be happening in Japan.

OnFire331

Degica has changed the Muv Luv Kickstarter goals. Now the 250k goal that included MLA is the base goal. And a Vita release goal at 600k has been added.

Good. Alternative as a stretch goal was the only real problem I saw with the pitch. The Vita stretch goal instead of the Android one is also be a good move since part of the VN fanbase is already on Vita with series like Danganronpa and Zero Escape, and it's got a much more hardcore userbase that'd be willing to shell out more money to make the Vita stretch goal happen.

I started playing Fruit of Grisaia. I'm nearing the end of the common route and I was wondering, is there a recommended order for the routes or does it not really matter?

I was pretty tepid about the first Kara no Shoujo, I'm not sure how much I need to play another one of them. I'll probably wait for some impressions first.

I started playing Fruit of Grisaia. I'm nearing the end of the common route and I was wondering, is there a recommended order for the routes or does it not really matter?

I played through the game and left the characters I like for last. My playthrough went as (first to last): Makina, Sachi, Yumiko, Michiru, Amane.

I remember when looking up recommended endings, most people said leave Amane last. It kinda sheds some light on Yuuji's back story, a bit.

In the end I loved all endings, none of them were particularly bad to me.

Shizuka

Sekai Project is running a Kickstarter to localize a magical boy BL visual novel.

Am I allowed to say that it's past time some of Sekai Project Kickstarters start to fail to meet their goals? Sekai Project is relying on Kickstarter for almost everything, while companies like JAST USA and Mangagamer have IPs that are considerably more known and still don't resort to crowd funding.

Better yet, Sekai Project should first fulfill what they promise on their previous KS before moving to new ones, because they're betting on promises made being forgotten and they can get off the hook while getting more money for new projects.

Jazz573

So, to the surprise of absolutely no one, ShinyDays has been delayed again. This time it's not as long a delay though. The digital version is coming on the 25th and the physical on the 30th.

Am I allowed to say that it's past time some of Sekai Project Kickstarters start to fail to meet their goals? Sekai Project is relying on Kickstarter for almost everything, while companies like JAST USA and Mangagamer have IPs that are considerably more known and still don't resort to crowd funding.

Better yet, Sekai Project should first fulfill what they promise on their previous KS before moving to new ones, because they're betting on promises made being forgotten and they can get off the hook while getting more money for new projects.

Not really sure what's wrong with them using Kickstarter. Regardless, I highly doubt they'll ever not reach their goal, and I certainly would hope they always do.

Not really sure what's wrong with them using Kickstarter. Regardless, I highly doubt they'll ever not reach their goal, and I certainly would hope they always do.

I could see this one not making it. 57k for an unknown BL title is a lot.

I agree that they do rely on Kickstarter too much, but I don't feel obliged to back everything they do. The most frustrating thing was with WAS, where they were silent about the damn thing for half a year after delaying it. They are going to have to deliver because it's mostly the same group of people funding the majority of their Kickstarters and they can't milk them forever if problems keep arising.

pariah164

Hey, Shizuka.

MyWIHTV.jpg

I'm in. You best link me to those OTs when you post them.

My heart dances, my wallet weeps

Shizuka

They're using it to cut all costs for bringing these projects, small projects they can most likely afford, and as a pre-order venue, which is something Kickstarter itself doesn't want it as their projects. Kickstarter started as a place where projects that otherwise wouldn't happen, happen. These are all projects that could very well happen without KS, yet they're still relying on it.

I agree that they do rely on Kickstarter too much, but I don't feel obliged to back everything they do. The most frustrating thing was with WAS, where they were silent about the damn thing for half a year after delaying it. They are going to have to deliver because it's mostly the same group of people funding the majority of their Kickstarters and they can't milk them forever if problems keep arising.

I backed one project from Sekai Project: Clannad at $1. They're relying on the same fanbase for all projects, there aren't different fanbases they're tapping into with each different project. I feel like most of them are backing everything with the SP project, quality notwithstanding.

Hey, Shizuka.

lfHM2qb.jpg

I'm in. You best link me to those OTs when you post them.

My heart dances, my wallet weeps

Girl, you make me proud. You better bring some life to those OTs, I'm counting on your love.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope they deliver on their other stuff. I'm still waiting for the artbook I ordered from the Fault-Milstone One campaign >_> Apparently no news there (I try and ask every few months) and who knows, but probably something all on the Japanese side. Also, hopefully the Fruit of Grisaia physical copy w/box gets released soon. Last I heard they had issues with that too.

So yeah, 2 things I'm waiting for that are delayed that I hope come soon >_>

EDIT: Do they still come online with their GAF account? Haven't seen it on for a while.

Started reading Kara no Shoujo, I like it so far (I'm on March 10th).

Love the Inference parts, they remind me a lot of Danganronpa and
Bern's Trial
from Umineko, and that's a good thing.

El Aleph

Banned
Apologies if someone has already asked this, but I don't have time to read all 80 pages of this thread and it's not addressed in the FAQ: if you're including adventure games under the rubric of "visual novels," then are we permitted to discuss Western games such as The Walking Dead, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword, and The Longest Journey here as well? I've seen TWD and other Telltale games described as "Western visual novels" before and, as someone who plays both Western and Japanese VNs/adventure games, the description seems apt. Other than their art styles, it's not clear to me what separates those games from Japanese "visual novels" with lots of adventure game elements such as Danganronpa, Zero Escape, and Ace Attorney. And of course, not all Japanese VNs adopt the anime art style, e.g. 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de, although the majority do.

There are likewise some older Japanese games such as the first two Clock Tower titles, The Silver Case, and the Twilight Syndrome series which also straddled the line between visual novels and adventures games (in addition to being influenced by Western adventure games). Some of the people who worked on those games are now with companies like Spike Chunsoft, hence the homage to Twilight Syndrome in Danganronpa 2.

Sites such as AdventureGamers.com and JustAdventure.com agree that Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, Trace Memory, etc. meet the criteria for adventure games, and they've reviewed those titles on their sites. They don't draw any strict delineations between Western and Japanese adventure games. I hope that's the case here too, because there are lots of great Western games that fans of Japanese VNs/adventure games should try and would probably love as well.

(I'll concede that "pure" visual novels such as Steins;Gate are quite a bit more distinct from adventure games and merit their own category; that's why I focused on those titles with lots of adventure game elements, such as DR, ZE, AA, etc.)

grim-tales

Playing Danganronpa a bit more now.
I really like Sayaka - she's cute. I dont like that gloomy weirdo of a girl who's so nervous about talking to everyone.
Whats weird is the twisted bear thing says it wants us to despair... hmmm.

Jazz573

Apologies if someone has already asked this, but I don't have time to read all 80 pages of this thread and it's not addressed in the FAQ: if you're including adventure games under the rubric of "visual novels," then are we permitted to discuss Western games such as The Walking Dead, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword, and The Longest Journey here as well? I've seen TWD and other Telltale games described as "Western visual novels" before and, as someone who plays both Western and Japanese VNs/adventure games, the description seems apt. Other than their art styles, it's not clear to me what separates those games from Japanese "visual novels" with lots of adventure game elements such as Danganronpa, Zero Escape, and Ace Attorney. And of course, not all Japanese VNs adopt the anime art style, e.g. 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de, although the majority do.

There are likewise some older Japanese games such as the first two Clock Tower titles, The Silver Case, and the Twilight Syndrome series which also straddled the line between visual novels and adventures games (in addition to being influenced by Western adventure games). Some of the people who worked on those games are now with companies like Spike Chunsoft, hence the homage to Twilight Syndrome in Danganronpa 2.

Sites such as AdventureGamers.com and JustAdventure.com agree that Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, Trace Memory, etc. meet the criteria for adventure games, and they've reviewed those titles on their sites. They don't draw any strict delineations between Western and Japanese adventure games. I hope that's the case here too, because there are lots of great Western games that fans of Japanese VNs/adventure games should try and would probably love as well.

(I'll concede that "pure" visual novels such as Steins;Gate are quite a bit more distinct from adventure games and merit their own category; that's why I focused on those titles with lots of adventure game elements, such as DR, ZE, AA, etc.)

Not really, no. Although in Japan they use the term adventure game for everything, both western point-and-click games and VNs. So, Steins;Gate is considered an adventure game in Japan and I'd agree. In fact, I consider even pure VNs to be adventure games. I consider the entire genre to be an adventure subgenre.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I really like Sayaka - she's cute. I dont like that gloomy weirdo of a girl who's so nervous about talking to everyone.

You have quite the adventure ahead of you, but better now than never to enjoy it :)

Wichu

Danganronpa is one of those games that I wish I could forget and play again. I beat Another Episode yesterday, but it just wasn't the same (though the ending definitely lived up to my expectations). Can't wait for 3!

And yeah, plenty of despair incoming. Have fun :)

El Aleph

Banned
Not really, no. Although in Japan they use the term adventure game for everything, both western point-and-click games and VNs. So, Steins;Gate is considered an adventure game in Japan and I'd agree. In fact, I consider even pure VNs to be adventure games. I consider the entire genre to be an adventure subgenre.

But games like Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Ace Attorney, and Ghost Trick clearly meet the Western definition of "adventure game" as well. That's why they get reviewed by Western adventure game websites like JustAdventure. They have lots of point-and-click elements along with some puzzles (especially in ZE). It's not a misnomer on the part of the Japanese. Even Wikipedia lists games like Machi and Snatcher as both a "visual novel" and "adventure game."

I'd agree that most VNs, especially the ones I listed above, could be considered an adventure subgenre, but bizarrely I don't think the Community has a thread dedicated to adventure games. If someone started that thread, I'd have absolutely no objection to Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Corpse Party, Ghost Trick, Machi, Clock Tower, Snatcher, Banshee's Last Cry, Ace Attorney, Twilight Syndrome, Sweet Fuse, etc. etc. being included as adventure games, because that's basically what they are to me.

When someone runs out of localized VNs to play and craves something similar to DR or ZE, I usually recommend games like Grim Fandango, The Walking Dead, Broken Sword, and The Longest Journey to them, because it's often a case of "if you like x, then you'll also like y." A bunch of them are playable on the 3DS, Vita, and/or PC, which also happen to be the main platforms for VNs. It feels like a natural progression to make. That's why I posted my initial inquiry.

Genre definitions are murky enough, but with visual novels that tend to be mixed with so many types of games you're never going to find a satisfactory way to delineate the boundary between what is and isn't a visual novel. Generally I don't consider games without narration as visual novels, but even using that you'll end up excluding games that should probably be grouped in the same genre as a visual novel.

But for the purpose of this thread it's pretty clear that it's not meant to be a place to discuss western adventure games. Those have their own threads and communities.

Marche90

Actually, we have never discussed it, since that point has never been brought up, so you can't say that inmediatly.

Good question, indeed...

o/

I must say, Umi is waaay too cute (already started reading it). She already won me over and I haven't even been introduced to all the characters!

I've read a bit of it too and I'm glad to see that the translation reads well. Some of the garbage machine translations that have come out lately had me wary, but this seems fine.

grim-tales

Danganronpa is one of those games that I wish I could forget and play again. I beat Another Episode yesterday, but it just wasn't the same (though the ending definitely lived up to my expectations). Can't wait for 3!

And yeah, plenty of despair incoming. Have fun :)

:) Thanks!
Just noticed
Danganronpa also mentions setup of The Prisoner's Dilema which is the same as VLR, and what's with the creepy video? Its clear the bear wants everyone to fight and try and kill each other, etc... the videos have to be fake

Just noticed
Danganronpa also mentions setup of The Prisoner's Dilema which is the same as VLR, and what's with the creepy video? Its clear the bear wants everyone to fight and try and kill each other, etc... the videos have to be fake

I trust you are playing with english voices to support Feep's career!

Just noticed
You have so much to look forward to. Just wait.

grim-tales

I trust you are playing with english voices to support Feep's career!

Yes thats right :)
Something strange I noticed though, in the English version, the voice clips when someone is speaking seem to be very small (like just a 2 word phrase or something) and dont match up with whats written in the text box. Is this intentional, or is the Japanese version different?

Top Bottom